Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Greatest ever? How does KU’s 109-106 win compare?

Kansas forward Landen Lucas (33) wrestles away a ball from Oklahoma guard Jordan Woodard (10) and tosses it to Kansas guard Devonte' Graham (4) late in the third overtime, Monday, Jan. 4, 2016 at Allen Fieldhouse.

In all, 845 Kansas University men’s basketball games have been played in Allen Fieldhouse since the building’s dedication in 1955.

The best game in 62 seasons just might have been the last game — Monday’s 109-106 three-overtime decision over Oklahoma, which has been compared to other KU classics such as an 87-86 OT win over Missouri in 2012, 150-95 victory over Kentucky in 1989 and 90-86 decision over Kevin Durant and Texas in 2007 as well as more than a few other dandies.

“(It was the) best regular season game I have EVER been part of,” ESPN’s Dick Vitale Tweeted on Tuesday — day after the first three-OT game in Allen history.

“It was the LOUDEST I have ever heard an arena,” the 76-year-old Vitale, who has been broadcasting games for 38 years, added in another Tweet, noting, “I am being flooded with messages and Tweets about that classic.”

KU coach Bill Self was asked to compare KU-OU to KU-Mizzou on Tuesday night on his Hawk Talk radio show.

“I think we actually played better last night than we did against Missouri,” Self said. “We got down 20 and were so tight against Missouri. Even though the end result was great, I think it was more a grind throughout the entire game. I thought last night was a little better played and last night was more a respectful game where the first game (vs. MU) was more a hatred-type game. We (Jayhawks-Tigers) don’t care much for each other.

“I don’t know which was better,” Self added. “They were both just fabulous basketball games.”

Self said the “best played game” KU has had in his 13 seasons, “without question was Oklahoma State in 2005 (KU’s 81-79 victory in Allen). I don’t know if you remember, but Wayne (Simien, 32 points, 12 rebounds) went nuts. We ended up winning at the buzzer. We shot 66 percent. They shot (58.5 percent). We couldn’t guard each other.

“It was an epic game. John Lucas was 9-for-11 from the field. The last shot he took he missed that would have won the game for them. It was for the Big 12 championship. Although last night’s game happened so early in the conference season, you could make a case it didn’t have as much meaning. You couldn’t make that case with any of the kids who participated in it,” Self added.

KU’s Frank Mason III and Perry Ellis played 53 minutes apiece Monday, while Devonté Graham logged 46 and Wayne Selden Jr., 43 minutes.

“The guy who should be exhausted is Frank,” Self said. “He face-guarded that dude (OU’s Buddy Hield, 46 points) for 35 minutes and in 35 minutes limited him to 11 shots. Unfortunately he made eight of ‘em.

“Frank ... the defense and heart he showed guarding Buddy was remarkable,” Self added. “He suffered at the other end. He went 1-for-11 (shooting, 5-of-20 overall, but 4-of-5 from line) the second half because he didn’t have any legs.

“We gave the guys the day off today. We may practice tomorrow but I guarantee you Perry, Wayne, Devonté and Frank won’t. We may have them shoot a little bit. We’ll give those guys two days and hit it hard Thursday (in preparation for Saturday’s game at Texas Tech),” he added. “We need to get our legs underneath us. If we get too giddy about this, we won’t be emotionally right the next game we play.”

Class act: KU’s fans have been praised for giving Hield a standing ovation after his postgame interview with ESPN.

“What’s so cool is people can’t know this place (Allen) until they experience it,” Self said. “It’s little things like that. They started cheering for the other team’s player after he dropped 46 on us because they appreciate what good ball is. People in the area ... there’s so much history and tradition, it’s so generational. People do enjoy players that play the right way, play hard and compete hard.

“They got a chance to be treated last night. I would think it was one of the most fun games for a Kansas fan. You got to see an unbelievable win and greatness (from Hield) at the same time.”

Strategy: The Jayhawks elected not to foul with a three-point lead and OU holding the ball with 8.6 ticks left in the third OT. It worked out well as OU’s Hield missed a last-second three.

“It was a weird deal because Perry knocked the ball away from (Ryan) Spangler and Frank took a step to go to the ball. The only reason Buddy touched it is it was a loose ball deal,” Self said. “He wouldn’t have touched it if they tried to pass to him.

“I think sometimes you foul if there’s four or five seconds left. If there’s 8.6 left ... if the guys make a mistake and foul with 6.2 before they get in the scoring area, now you have a situation you can lose the game. Make two free throws, they foul immediately, they’ve still got five seconds to get the ball up court. I thought there was a little too much time.”

Also ... “the best teams we’ve had, we’ve always asked them (players), ‘Do you want to foul or guard?’ It’s what I asked ‘em. Of course they said, ‘Coach let’s guard them.’’’

TV ratings: According to ESPN, the KU-OU game had an overnight rating of 1.9, making it the highest-rated Big 12 Big Monday game on record since the network started keeping track in 2002. The J-W’s Matt Tait reported Tuesday that, according to Nielsen, which keeps track of the ratings, there are 123.2 million viewing households in the United States. When it is said the game received an overnight rating of 1.9, that means that 1.9 percent of 123.2 million — or roughly 2.34 million — households watched the game. In all, 16.79 percent of Kansas City area households (923,290) watched, putting that number at a national high of 150,945. Also, 89,000 households in New York City, 74,098 in Dallas and 57,689 in Chicago tuned into the game.

Predictions: Self had a good feel for what might happen on Monday night between KU, ranked No. 1 in the AP poll and Oklahoma, ranked 1 in the coaches poll.

“I told myself before the game if we held them to 75 we’d win,” Self said on Hawk Talk

He was right. The score at the end of regulation was 77-77.

Comments

Joe Ross 5 years, 9 months ago

My favorite games in Allen

1. Defeating Missouri for the last game in AFH as conference members. It's Missouri.

2. Defeating Kentucky 150-95 under Roy. KYs greatest loss ever. Based on who they are you gotta appreciate putting a beat down on them like that.

3. Defeating Oklahoma with Buddy Hield. This is probably the best game ever played in Allen. Others ranked ahead of this are based on the identity of the opponent. This one was based on the quality of play, the drama of 3 overtimes, the back-and-forth nature of the contest, the pitting of numbers 1 and 2, etc. I've been watching KU basketball since the 70s. I cant remember one better.

4. The Wayne Simien game mentioned above.

5. The Nick Collison game where Dickie gave him the "standing".

Honorable mention: Defeating Durant's Texas, defeating Florida with Julian Wright and Co., other games featuring Raef LaFrentz, Jacque Vaughn, Paul Pierce, Drew Gooden, and others.

Andy Tweedy 5 years, 9 months ago

I was going home to Omaha for the weekend when we played the 150-95 game and decided to wait until after the game at the last minute...turned out to be a good decisions. What I remember is Terry Brown just lighting it up that day!

Brett McCabe 5 years, 9 months ago

It's a good list, and highlights some difficult choices. I'm resisting the urge to put Monday's game at the top simply because it is current but I'm leaning towards it just because I don't want the name "Missouri" at the top of any of my KU lists. However, I stand up and cheer like an idiot every time they play the Reesing-to-Meier clip on the football scoreboard.

I'm such a hypocrite.

Also, there has to be a game with either Danny or Wilt or Clyde in it that would be in the top-five all-time. Doesn't there? Of course, that would be a more historical list, and wouldn't necessarily qualify under "my favorite games". So, never mind.

Michael Gentemann 5 years, 9 months ago

From the Larry Brown / Danny Manning era you would have to add beating OU and Wayman Tidale in 1985. It was a revenge game after Billy Tubbs and the Sooners cut down the AFH nets the year before. Mr. Saturday, Ron Kellogg, went for 34, Tad Boyle hit 2 clutch free throws and Tim McCalister missed a potential game winner at the buzzer.

Joe Ross 5 years, 9 months ago

I DO remember that game. And yes...it was a good one. Those Brown teams were all special. Cedric Hunter, Ron Kellogg, Carl Henry, Mark Turgeon, Greg Dreiling, Danny Manning, and others....

Ill tell you what: Larry Brown infused life into Jayhawk basketball. I'll forever love that man.

Eric Eakins 5 years, 9 months ago

I was a freshmen at KU and sitting in the student section hours before the game. The players were out showing off for the early crowd dunking the ball. The tall guys were trying to get Cedric to dunk and he kept falling just short of doing it. Very late in a very close game Cedric stole the ball as OU brought it up the court and ran down and dunked it. We went nuts. I probably jumped high enough to dunk it myself. Great game. I've been to over 200 games at Allen and usually watch most others available on TV. Hard to define the best of the best. One thing is not hard to define, Allen Fieldhouse is the best place to watch college basketball.

Joshua Hann 5 years, 9 months ago

Wasn't the Florida game played in Las Vegas?

Joe Ross 5 years, 9 months ago

Yes. Youre right. Maybe about 2006-07 because JW was on the roster. Im getting old. You have to forgive me.

Joshua Hann 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm not mad at you. It was on late. I was at my grandma's and I was the only one up in the house, trying my best to keep quiet. I remember that game well.

Tom Longhofer 5 years, 9 months ago

Beating Missouri over Christmas break, January 1977. Herb Nobles and Jim Kennedy (MU) got in a fight. Both benches cleared and the students in the north end bleachers joined the brawl. Donnie Von Moore was ejected and most of the rest of the KU regulars fouled out. John Douglas and four guys from WAY down on the end of the bench rallied to beat Norm's hated Tigers.

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 9 months ago

From that era, don't forget the 3-OT loss to that great Indiana team with went undefeated the following year. Von Moore missed that 12 baseline jumper, the same shot he hit the previous trip down, to win the game. I'd put that game as the best game in a losing effort played in AFH.

Tom Longhofer 5 years, 9 months ago

For best loss, there was the 1974 4-point loss to #1 Notre Dame (lot of streakers on campus after the game) and an early '80's loss to a Keith Lee Memphis team - a furious 2nd half comeback fell just short. Comebacks were more rare in the days before the 3 pointer and the shot clock.

I missed the Indiana game because I was exiled back to my home town in '74 - '75 due to low grades and lower funds :(

Mike Barnhart 5 years, 9 months ago

We won the Memphis State game in Lawrence!

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 9 months ago

Good memory...except in the class room : )

Stephen H Hadley 5 years, 9 months ago

I would like to see some top 10 lists of the best games played in AFH. Some others that come to mind: KU 98-80 over MU in 1972; the game Bud Stallworth scored 50 points (before the 3 point shot). Beat down of MU in 1974 112-76; KU game with UCLA in 1995, KU down by 15 at half, outscored UCLA by 30 to win by 15. KU win over K-State in 1975, 91-53. Some great moments.

Brian Karpen 5 years, 9 months ago

KU v UCLA 1995, As Stephen says above down by 15 respond to win by 15. Folks who didn't go to the game could hear the Fieldhouse from the dorms on Daisy Hill. It was going crazy. I think The Chant came down with 5 minutes to go with no let up. By the end during freethrows the UCLA players were looking up into the stands like they could actually see The Phog.

Bryce Landon 5 years, 9 months ago

Down by 15 at halftime, yes; but down by 19 at one point in the first half. That 19-point deficit is tied with the 19-point deficit we faced against Misuse in 2012 for largest home deficit overcome to win. The all-time largest deficit overcome by KU in a win was a 22-point deficit against Texas in the 2007 Big 12 finals.

Joe Ross 5 years, 9 months ago

Im not sure, but I think Michael Jordan's first collegiate game was played at Kansas. Can anybody verify this? I think we lost that game.

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for posting this. The tape shows how much a player can improve over a career. Having followed the MJ Bulls fanatically, I had to laugh when he fouled on the pump fake and could not convert on the drive attempt. I can vividly recall numerous instances when he'd humiliate the opponent in those situations.

Harlan Hobbs 5 years, 9 months ago

Wow! What an impressive list by everyone. Brings back a lot of wonderful memories.

Can't answer your question, Joe. I vaguely remember us playing North Carolina in Kansas City around that time, but I don't remember UNC playing us in Allen Field House. Of course, I could be totally wrong.

By the way, Brent, you are no hypocrite. The Reesing to Meyer play was one for the ages as well.

As much as I dislike listening to Dick Vitale sometimes, I have to recognize him for the "props" he has given KU over the years.

Kyle Rohde 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm glad Self mentioned the Oklahoma State game from '05, as I've always felt like that was one of the best ever, though I am a bit biased because that was the end of my senior year and the only time my Dad ever made it down from Wisconsin for a game. He got to stand, jump, etc. with us in the student section and had a blast.

My pre-2001 KU history is mediocre at best, but here's my list of best games at AFH. Not ranked, just the group of 'em. - 2015 Oklahoma 3 OT game - 2005 Oklahoma State Simien and John Lucas shootout - 2005 Georgia Tech on New Year's Day, Langford turnaround in OT to win it, loudest I ever heard AFH, including Monday's OU game - 2007 Texas game, epic comeback vs. Durant - 2003 Texas game, Collison standing O from Dickie V - 2012 Missouri game, last one before they ditched the B12

I think I'd have to put the 2015 OU and 2005 OSU games at the top together because both games had both teams at such a high level throughout.

Brett McCabe 5 years, 9 months ago

Richard Scott - the man was a beast. Wish we could see more of him back in Lawrence.

Great video, great team, great win....and that shot! My goodness.

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 9 months ago

Definitely on my favorites list. Richard Scott never took a play off.

Joe Ross 5 years, 9 months ago

It's crazy because I remember listening to this game on radio. I was headed west on Highway 36 out to Atwood, KS with my girlfriend of the time. Calbert Cheaney was hyped up, but nationally Kansas' backcourt of Jordan and Walters was making news as among the best in America. We had Darrin Hancock that year too.

Damian Glaze 5 years, 9 months ago

That was my favorite game as a student. It was so loud when he hit that shot. Good blend of young and old talent on that team. Thanks for sharing.

Rodney Pain 5 years, 9 months ago

Although I think most of the KU faithful would pick the final game of the KU/MU series as the biggest win ever in AFH, I think this was probably the best basketball game I've ever seen played at AFH. It also ranks amongst the worst officiating, and that goes for both sides. Ellis got beat up with few calls. Frank got whistled for a clean strip by a ref who could only see Hield's back. Traylor got away with 2 goal tends. Frank wrapped up the game on a sketchy at best steal. It goes on and on. Still, in terms of two talented teams duking it out full bore, this game is tops and that will likely stand for quite some time.

Brett McCabe 5 years, 9 months ago

Added to that game is the fact that most Mizzou fans were referring to that team as the greatest team in MU history. Unfortunately, the greatest team in MU history could neither win the conference, or survive the first weekend of the NCAA tournament.

Len Shaffer 5 years, 9 months ago

In other words, business as usual for Misuse ...

Chris Warman 5 years, 9 months ago

Langford's winning shot against G-Tech on New Years Day was phenomenal, the crowd was beyond loud. Vaughn's winner against Indiana was one of my favorite moments. The above mentioned 1977 game against Missouri, I recall that game, it was great but I was not in the Field House for that one, I was still in high school, yet on TV it was still awesome. Many great moments, thank you all for reminding me of some of them

Andy Tweedy 5 years, 9 months ago

I was traveling when Norfolk St beat MU and also during the KU game. I finally turned my phone on after both games were over and I must have had a thousand messages. What was funny was not a single one of them mentioned the KU game, they were all from my KU friends and every one of them was laughing about MU losing. I live in Omaha, so had I not been traveling I would have been able to enjoy that first hand.

Jay Scott 5 years, 9 months ago

I liked the mention of the OSU game with Simien. We've always had a soft spot for Wayne at our house. We traveled to a road game and sat with his parents and sister on a return flight. They're wonderful people and it made it even easier to be a fan.

Humpy Helsel 5 years, 9 months ago

OK. I'll play scrooge. Just skip over me if you don't want to hear this. Enough already. Yes. I'm like everyone else fawning over the J-Boys and Monday's game. I have it on my VCR and will surely watch it again. But the truth is, there is a perfect trap game this Saturday night which could "spit in our soup" rather quickly, making Monday's game seem like a distance memory. While nobody has been paying attention, Tubby Smith has slowly been rebuilding the program down in Lubbock and they have one loss, also. Yes, a lower level of competition, but they are excited down there. The story line is set. Numero Uno in town. Saturday night and what better to do in Lubbock on a cold Saturday night than see #1 play. And who knows, the crowd starts thinking the home boys might be able to pull it off. The house will be packed and if they can play with us, the crowd will be hot and heavy into it. We are bound to have a let down of some sort. It is human nature. This is where Coach makes the big bucks. I bet he is yelling and screaming at practice this week. Got to get those boys sobered up, even if the fan base continues to be on a bender.

Brett McCabe 5 years, 9 months ago

The schedule helps. We have time to rest, rejuvenate and refocus. We'll be find in Lubbock. In fact, we'll be so good that the ghost of Buddy Holly will probably com watch.

Brett McCabe 5 years, 9 months ago

I'm liking my own comment due to stellar typing.

Bryce Landon 5 years, 9 months ago

Four words for you folks:

GAME. OF. THE. CENTURY.

That is all.

Joe Ross 5 years, 9 months ago

Im thinking beyond Kansas games and considering all NCAA games more generally. Wondering if this one would crack the top 10. What say ye?

Aaron Paisley 5 years, 9 months ago

Doubtful because there was nothing on the line in this game.

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 9 months ago

I disagree. This year's BIG 12 Conference title might be the toughest over the last decade and winning/losing at home may very well be the difference maker regardless of when the game is played.

Rodney Crain 5 years, 9 months ago

I agree with Aaron, it was a lot of fun, but nothing on the line. Does not diminish how I will remember it at all. That was something else, not perfect, but two evenly matched teams doing everything they could to win. A great battle of wills.

Mike Barnhart 5 years, 9 months ago

In my opinion, the beginning of this great era of KU basketball started against Memphis State in 1985.

Michigan thrashed us on the CBS game of the week. Two weeks later CBS, Memphis State (final 4 team) and all-american Keith Lee came to Lawrence for another showcase game. The inside of Allen Fieldhouse has always been unusually dim and it didn't look good on TV so CBS strung up a bunch of lightbulbs from the rafters. The student section was convinced the lights were their invitation to take center stage and the atmosphere was JACKED!

Ron Kellogg, who was in the midst of about four straight 30+ point Saturdays, struggled in the first half but caught fire in the second half. The lead changed about a dozen times and the fieldhouse went INSANE! Kellogg finished with over 30 and KU won by about 2.

Bryce Landon 5 years, 9 months ago

I disagree. The modern era of KU basketball began with Larry Brown's hiring in 1983 and the Big Eight postseason title he brought to Lawrence in his first season with the team.

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 9 months ago

A great game Mike but I think Bryce has it right.

Mike Barnhart 5 years, 9 months ago

Hiring Larry, hiring Ed, and signing Danny was the catalyst. The magic in the building began against Memphis State.

Benz Junque 5 years, 9 months ago

Last year's massive comeback against Florida was also a great AFH moment. One of the loudest games I have ever been to. Sometimes it seems like the crowd is more reactionary but it really felt like the AFH faithful took charge and really willed a comeback out of the team.

I'll never forget the headache I had for three days after screaming like a lunatic through that 2nd half.

Len Shaffer 5 years, 9 months ago

Now we have to top it by winning in a 4-OT game in Norman ...

Rian Ankerholz 5 years, 9 months ago

Gary Bedore supplied an old LJW list of 50 most memorable moments. It brings back memories! I can only post 3000 characters at a time, and the list has over 15000 characters, so if you feel it is too long, just disregard.

TOP MOMENTS IN ALLEN FIELDHOUSE

In no particular order as chosen by the Journal-World staff

1. Wilt Chamberlain scores 52 points in his college debut, an 87-69 victory over Northwestwern on Dec. 3, 1956. Chamberlain converts 20 of 29 floor shots and 12 of 20 free throws. He also had 31 rebounds.

2. Bud Stallworth drops in 50 points, many from long-range, in a 93-80 victory over Missouri on Feb. 26, 1972. Stallworth’s explosion is witnessed by KU's 1952 title team in town for a 20th reunion.

3. Down by 19 points in the second half, KU rallies to beat Missouri, 87-86, in overtime on Feb. 25, 2012. Thomas Robinson scores 28 points and Tyshawn Taylor 24 points. It turned out to be the final game in the KU-MU series, with the Tigers leaving the Big 12 for the SEC the following season.

4. KU registers an astonishing 150-95 romp over Kentucky on Dec. 9, 1989, in a game in which the Jayhawks lead 80-61 at the half. Terry Brown finishes with 31 points while nailing seven of 10 three-point shots.

5. Wilt Chamberlain returns Jan. 17, 1998, as part of KU's 100th anniversary of basketball. Wearing his old letter jacket, Chamberlain charms the fans with an emotional speech and stays two hours after the game to sign autographs.

6. Allen Fieldhouse opens with a 77-66 victory over Kansas State on March 1, 1955, as Gene Elstun scores 21 points.

7. Texas' Kevin Durant stuns a fieldhouse crowd by scoring 25 points the first half, however, the Jayhawks, who trail by 16 points, rally for a 90-86 victory on March 3, 2007. Durant scores just seven points the final half as KU wraps up the Big 12 championship.

8. Kansas wins the last meeting between Phog Allen and Oklahoma State's Hank Iba, 56-55, on Jan. 31, 1956, giving Allen a 17-16 edge in head-to-head matchups between the legendary coaches.

9. Oscar Robertson scores a fieldhouse-record 56 points, lifting Cincinnati to a 97-62 NCAA Tournament victory over Arkansas on March 15, 1958.

10. KU thumps Oklahoma State, 75-57, in the final home game for seniors Danny Manning, Chris Piper and Archie Marshall. OSU coach Leonard Hamilton agrees to allow Marshall, on crutches because of a knee injury, to limp onto the floor and take an uncontested shot with 1:33 remaining. Marshall missed the shot.

Rian Ankerholz 5 years, 9 months ago

1. KU's Lynette Woodard explodes for 44 points, most ever by a woman in the fieldhouse, in a 101-64 victory over Iowa State on Feb. 10, 1979. Eight days later she scores 49 points in a 105-54 victory at Southwest Missouri State.

2. Houston, led by Elvin Hayes' 19 points, stuns the No. 3-ranked Jayhawks, 66-53, in an NCAA Tournament game in March, 1967.

3. Oklahoma players clip the nets Feb. 22, 1984, after spilling the Jayhawks, 92-82, in overtime and clinching the Big Eight championship. Afterward, peeved KU coach Larry Brown remarks, "What goes around comes around."

4. Anthony Peeler scores 43 points, but KU tops Missouri, 98-89, March 8, 1992, and the Jayhawks cut down the nets after assuring a tie for the Big Eight Conference title.

5. Danny Manning scores 40 points in a 70-60 victory over Notre Dame on Feb. 8, 1987.

6. Wilt Chamberlain collects 46 points in a 102-46 massacre of Nebraska on Feb. 8, 1958. At the time, the 56-point margin was the largest in fieldhouse history.

7. Nick Collison and Kirk Hinrich combine for 43 points March 1, 2003, in their last fieldhouse game — an 89-61 victory over Oklahoma State. It also was Roy Williams’ final game in Allen. A month later, he left for North Carolina.

8. Raef LaFrentz, Billy Thomas and C.B. McGrath finish their careers undefeated (58-0) at home with an 83-70 victory over Oklahoma on Feb. 23, 1998. Junior Paul Pierce, who as it turned out was playing his last home game, erupts for 31 points off 14-of-17 shooting, as the Sooners were helpless against the fired-up junior.

9. Adolph Rupp, a member of KU's 1923 national-championship team, brings Kentucky to Lawrence for the first time Dec. 14, 1959. Wayne Hightower scores 33 points, but Rupp's team wins, 77-72.

10. Missouri pops Kansas, 76-49, Jan. 24, 2004, in Marian Washington's last game as KU women's coach. Three days later, Washington takes a medical leave of absence and a month after that announces her retirement after 31 years and 560 victories.

11. KU spills Missouri, 80-70, to wrap up the 100-year anniversary weekend celebration Feb. 8, 1998. At halftime, hundreds of KU players and coaches walk onto the court for introductions.

12. Ben McLemore banks in a three-point shot from 22 feet out with 1.3 seconds to play, forcing overtime in a 97-89 victory over Iowa State on Jan. 9, 2013.

13. A crowd of around 14,000 shows up Nov. 19, 1955, to watch KU's freshmen sting the varsity, 81-71, behind Wilt Chamberlain's 42 points.

14. A school-record nine Jayhawks score in double figures in a 127-82 victory over Iowa State on Jan. 7, 1989. That's also the most points KU has scored in a conference game.

15. Bill Bridges retrieves 30 missed shots in an 86-69 season-opening victory over Northwestern on Dec. 3, 1960.

Rian Ankerholz 5 years, 9 months ago

1. Terry Brown drills a school-record 11 three-pointers and scores 42 in a 105-94 victory over North Carolina State on Jan. 5, 1991.

2. Danny Manning tallies 27 points in a 100-66 blasting of Missouri on Feb. 11, 1986. It's KU's biggest victory over the Tigers in the fieldhouse.

3. Oklahoma State's Randy Rutherford scores 45 points, but KU holds 7-footer Bryant Reeves scoreless in a 78-62 victory that gives the Jayhawks the league title March 5, 1995.

4. Approximately 6,000 show up for the first Late Night extravaganza Oct. 14, 1985.

5. Terry Brown scores 26 points, pacing KU to a 73-60 victory over Miami on Jan. 16, 1991, in a game that nearly was canceled because of the start of Operation Desert Storm in the Persian Gulf. Brown dedicates the game to a brother serving in the Gulf.

6. Several KU students unveil a banner made of shower curtains that reads, "Pay heed all who enter: Beware of the Phog," prior to a Feb. 22, 1988, game against Duke.

7. Mitch Richmond scores 35 points as Kansas State halts KU's 55-game home winning streak, 72-61, Jan. 30, 1988.

8. KU trails UCLA by 15 points at halftime, but rallies to win by 15 (85-70) Dec. 1, 1995. No KU team has overcome a larger halftime deficit.

9. Nick Collison scores 24 points and collects 23 rebounds before fouling out in a 90-87 victory over Texas Jan. 27, 2003, prompting TV analyst Dick Vitale to give Collison a standing ovation from press row. At halftime, Roy Williams gives retired Missouri coach Norm Stewart a rocking chair.

10. Alonzo Jamison shatters the backboard with a dunk during the 1988 Late Night.

11. Danny Manning's jersey No. 25 is retired Dec. 1, 1992. The Jayhawks beat Georgia, 76-65, with Manning sitting in the student section.

12. In a Feb. 26, 1966, showdown between No. 6-ranked KU and No. 8 Nebraska, the Jayhawks romp, 110-73, and cut down the nets after clinching the Big Eight title. Ted Owens has called this one of his favorite games in the fieldhouse.

13. Jo Jo White scores 30 points in his last KU game, an 80-70 victory over Colorado on Feb. 1, 1969. White received the game ball after coach Ted Owens' 100th career victory.

14. Jacque Vaughn's three-pointer at :0.2 in overtime gives KU an 86-83 victory over Indiana on Dec. 22, 1993. Vaughn finishes with 13 points.

15. KU downs Oklahoma State, 64-48, Feb. 3, 1969, for the 1,000th victory in school history. Coach Ted Owens had torn the seat of his trousers in the second half and had to wear a towel around his waist in a postgame ceremony.

Rian Ankerholz 5 years, 9 months ago

1. KU sets a Big 12 single-game women’s attendance mark, drawing 16,113 fans in Allen Fieldhouse for the Jayhawks’ 2009 WNIT title game versus South Florida. KU fell, 75-71.

2. Josh Selby, the No. 1 freshman recruit in the country, scores 21 points in his long-awaited KU debut as the Jayhawks beat USC, 70-68, on Dec. 18, 2010.

3. Kansas, which enters the Jan. 7, 2006 game unranked, clobbers No.19 Kentucky, 73-46, in a game played without standout forward Wayne Simien. One of the memorable shots of all-time is famous UK fan Ashley Judd suffering a few rows behind the UK bench during the rout of her beloved Wildcats.

4. Fans are astounded during a game with Kansas State on Feb. 20, 1965, when a pair of 6x12 banners saying “Go Cats, Kill Snob Hill Again” unfurl on the east and west sides of the scoreboard with eight minutes left in the first half of KU's 88-66 victory. A wire stretching to the south end zone enabled visiting KSU fans to trip the banners.

5. Kansas State's Mike Wroblewski scores 46 points, the most ever by a KU opponent in the fieldhouse, in a 91-72 K-State victory Feb. 7, 1962.

6. Coach Roy Williams tries to start six seniors plus Raef LaFrentz before waving walk-ons Joel Branstrom and Steve Ransom off the Allen Fieldhouse court prior to tipoff of a 78-58 victory over Kansas State on Feb. 22, 1997.

7. Four-time Olympic champion Al Oerter is among the KU competitors Feb. 3, 1956, in the first indoor track meet in school history. Kansas wins the dual with Oklahoma, 56-48, in front of 2,000 fans.

8. KU fails to hit one three-pointer, yet still scores 100 points in an 100-90 victory over Baylor on Feb. 9, 2008, the NCAA title season. Darrell Arthur scores 23 points for KU, including 16 in the second half.

9. Marian Washington posts her 500th career victory, a 58-54 decision over Oklahoma on Feb. 20, 1999.

10. A sellout crowd watches Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls knock off the Seattle SuperSonics in an NBA exhibition game Oct. 11, 1997.

11. Keith Langford scores the winning bucket in overtime as KU erases a 16-point deficit to defeat Georgia Tech, 70-68, on Jan. 1, 2005, and avenge an Elite Eight loss to the Yellow Jackets the previous March.

12. A renovation project during the summer of 1974 covers the fieldhouse's original dirt surface completely. A synthetic basketball floor is installed to replace the original portable raised floor. Five years later, another portable wood floor replaces the synthetic one.

13. Mario Little hits a free throw with 7/10s of a second left to bust a 76-76 tie and lead KU past UCLA, 77-76 for the Jayhawks’ 64th straight win in Allen. KU survived a 33-point outburst from Tyler Honeycutt.

14. Larry Bird tallies 22 points and grabs 13 boards in Indiana State's 86-69 victory over Virginia Tech in the NCAA Midwest Regional final March 11, 1979.

Rian Ankerholz 5 years, 9 months ago

1. Coach Dick Harp goes on the PA system Feb. 23, 1958, to beseech KU fans to stop booing Missouri's Mike Kirksey on the free-throw line. Harp is ignored, and the KU coach asks the official to call a technical foul on the fans. Kirksey makes three free throws, but KU wins, 85-81.

2. KU battles back from a 50-34 deficit with 10:22 remaining to nudge Oklahoma, 59-58, on Feb. 4, 2006.

3. The Jayhawks win, 82-65, against Kansas State in the final home games of Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich on March 3, 2010. Collins was extremely emotional crying before and after the contest. Freshman Xavier Henry, who also was playing his final home game, scores 15 the first half and finishes with 19. Collins scores 17 and Aldrich nine.

4. Danielle McCray scores a career-high 35 points as Bonnie Henrickson’s KU women blast No. 5-ranked Baylor, 69-45, on March 4, 2009. McCray, a junior, led the way for KU on Senior Night.

5. KU survives a 27-point outing from Chase Budinger, beating Ariona, 76-72, in overtime on Nov. 26, 2007. Brandon Rush, who nearly hit a 55-foot shot at the buzzer to break the tie, finishes with 17 points.

6. Texas snaps KU’s school-record 69-game homecourt win streak with a 74-63 decision on Jan. 22, 2011. Thomas Robinson learns the night before the contest that his mom had died. The Jayhawks were up all night prior to the game consoling Robinson at Jayhawker Towers.

My bad; there were actually 60 "moments." Consecutive numbering didn't work. Thanks to Cake in Chicago for forwarding the list.

Rian Ankerholz 5 years, 9 months ago

Others • Mario Chalmers hits a three-pointer at the buzzer to answer a three by Paul Pierce and forge a 111-111 tie in the Legends of the Phog exhibition game on Sept. 25, 2011. • Iowa snaps KU's school-record 62-game home win streak Dec. 8, 1998, with an 85-81 victory. • Bonnie Henrickson earns the 300th victory of her coaching career, courtesy of a 76-59 win over Alabama A&M on Nov. 23, 2012. • A Fill the Fieldhouse promotion on Jan. 9, 1994, lures a record women's crowd of 13,352 that watches the Jayhawks edge Colorado, 59-57. • Comedian Bob Hope performs before 5,200 fans on Oct 2, 1982 • Sonny and Cher perform before 14,777 fans on Oct. 13, 1973 • Bobby Kennedy draws 20,000 on March 19, 1968 for a speech, three days after he declared his intentions to run for President. • Bill Clinton speaks on May 15, 2004. • Allen Fieldhouse is used to depict a center for citizens injured by a nuclear bomb in the movie The Day After on Nov. 14, 1983. • The Harlem Globetrotters, featuring Lynette Woodard, appear Feb. 10, 1987, and, as usual, defeat the Washington Generals. • Days after winning the 1988 NCAA title, coach Larry Brown holds an afternoon press conference in the fieldhouse to announce he has turned down a job offer from UCLA. Less than a month later, he bolts for the NBA's San Antonio Spurs. • KU hammers Jason Kidd and Cal-Berkeley, 73-56, on Nov. 19, 1993. • Kansas leads coach Jerry Tarkanian's Long Beach State team, 32-8, at halftime then hangs on for 69-52 victory Dec. 1, 1970. • Kansas State's Bob Boozer scores 32 points in 79-75 double-overtime victory over KU on Feb. 3, 1958. • Eventual national champion Cincinnati trips Kansas State, 69-64, on March 18, 1961 in the NCAA Midwest Regional. • KU pounds Washburn, 99-56, on Nov. 25, 2000, for KU's 500th victory in the fieldhouse. • KU downs Colorado, 78-63, on March 9, 1957, to capture the school's last Big Seven title and first title since moving to Allen. • Norm Stewart scores 20 points as Missouri hands KU its first loss in the fieldhouse - 85-78 - on Feb. 6, 1956. • Steve Woodberry hits a three-pointer with 15 seconds left to give KU a 62-61 victory over Oklahoma State for Roy Williams' 150th victory. • Lynnette Woodard scores 24 points in an 80-59 victory over Stephen F. Austin and becomes the all-time leading scorer in AIAW history. • Roy Williams decides to leave KU, telling reporters in a brief fieldhouse press conference on a staircase in April of 2003. • Four days after undergoing surgery to repair anterior compartment syndrome surgery in his right leg, Mark Randall scores 11 points in an 108-71 rout of Marquette 71. KU registers a school-record 22 steals. • Wilt Chamberlain grabs 36 rebounds in a 90-61 rout of Iowa State on Feb. 15, 1958. • KU clobbers Brown, 115-45, Jan. 3, 1989, for the most lopsided win in school history. Milt Newton leads the Jayhawks with 23 points.

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 9 months ago

Props to Rian for the great research and time..

Ted Collins 5 years, 9 months ago

What a great thread! Having had the unique opportunity to sit in THE BEST SEATS in Allen for over 25 years, and having attended around 1/2 of all games played in this historic shrine to basketball, this brings back great memories.

The best venue in sports...bar none........anyone associated with it should be very proud, indeed!

Suzi Marshall 5 years, 9 months ago

When speaking about memorial moments, we shouldn't forget when Kansas' Ted Owens hosted Kentucky in Rupp's last year, 1971-1972. The date was December 4, 1071. 14th Ranked Kansas lost to top ranked UK 69-79. Kansas ended up with one of our worst years (11=15). UK was top ranked most of the year but lost in the Elite 8.

Rupp was exceeding gracious before and after the game, but not during. KU fans gave Rupp a standing ovation as he left the court for the final time.

Five years after this game, Rupp died of spinal cancer at age 76 in Lexington, Kentucky, on December 10, 1977, on a night when Kentucky defeated his alma mater, Kansas, at Allen Fieldhouse in Lawrence, Kansas. The game that night was promoted as "Adolph Rupp Night".

Kansas fans should warmly embrace the KU-UK-UNC traditions and relationships. All of us should have some distain for that jerk UK coach that gave Roy the finger during his historic beat down.

Mike Barnhart 5 years, 9 months ago

Kinda' hard to get past the racism during Rupp's tenure at Kentucky.

Jason Roberts 5 years, 9 months ago

This article has me scouring YouTube for the best Kansas games over the last twenty years. Great way to spend my vacation!!!

Lonnie Ross Dillon 5 years, 9 months ago

Multiple references to the Kevin Durant Game. If I recall correctly, KD turned an ankle late in the first half and was no factor the rest of the game. In my mind that tarnishes the "greatness" of the game in that the comeback was against a weakened team. My favorite is Paul Pierce's last home game against OU when he simply took over the last few minutes, finishing with 30+ points.

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 9 months ago

Ask me the same question 10 years from now..