Kansas defeats Texas, 86-56

• 8 p.m., Feb. 29, 2016
  • Frank Erwin Center, Austin, TX

Monday, February 29, 2016

Turned up’ at Texas: KU cruises to claim sole possession of Big 12 title

The Kansas bench celebrates during a win over the Texas Longhorns Monday, Feb. 29, 2016 at the Frank Erwin Center in Austin, Texas.

— Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self conveyed a simple message to his veteran players on the bus ride from the team hotel to Texas’ Frank Erwin Center on Monday night.

“Coach told us we don’t want to share anything. We want to win it outright so we had to be focused coming down here. He told us to have fun out there (because) there wasn’t really any pressure on us,” KU senior forward Jamari Traylor said after the (26-4, 14-3) Jayhawks wrapped up the undisputed Big 12 title, courtesy of an 86-56 rout of (19-11, 10-7) Texas.

KU had grabbed a share of the title and clipped the nets in Allen Fieldhouse after Saturday’s win over Texas Tech.

“Tonight we were a joyful team,” Self said of the Jayhawks, who raced to a 15-0 lead, led by as many as 33 points in the second half and wound up claiming the second biggest Big 12 road victory in the Self era.

KU pounded Texas Tech by 35 points in the 2011-12 season in Lubbock.

“We played like a team proud of getting a piece of the Big 12 championship and wanted to validate that to everybody by playing well tonight,” Self said.

KU, which won its 12th straight league crown — eight of them undisputed, four in which KU tied with another league squad — also won big on a day the Jayhawks returned to No. 1 in the AP and USA Today polls.

“We were No. 1 before and it lasted all about a week or the next game,” Self said of a two-week stint at No. 1 in January. “The guys knew if we didn’t play well tonight that would not be the case next week. They were turned up tonight.”

Texas, which defeated Oklahoma at home on Saturday, missed its first 14 shots on the school’s Senior Night for a whopping six players. KU led, 15-0, 28-9, 32-11, 41-19 and 44-23 in the initial half. Perry Ellis had 15 points the first half and 20 in the game off 9-of-11 shooting. KU hit 64 percent of its shots and went 11 of 16 from three. UT hit 30.2 percent of its shots and was three of 13 from three.

Frank Mason III hit three threes and scored 14 points, while Devonté Graham hit three threes and scored 13.

“That was the motivation,” Graham said of winning the league title with one game to play and not sharing it with anybody. “After we celebrated last game, we didn’t want to come out flat and think the league was over. We wanted to come out and win it outright.”

He explained what’s been going on with the team since the end of Saturday’s game at 1:30 p.m.

“We didn’t do much (except) jumping around in the locker room with coach. We went out to eat as a team (Saturday night),” Graham said. “(Sunday) we practiced 45 minutes, not too long. We went over their stuff, just to get our minds right for today.

“Our coaches do a great job getting us prepared and with scouting report, how to guard their actions. Watching film on Texas and going over their stuff helped us mentally.”

Self was pleased with everything but 11 of 24 free throw shooting.

“Tonight we were about as good as we’ve been all year,” Self said. “We were skilled tonight. We made a lot of good basketball plays. We got on the floor and carried out assignments (but) we’ve not rebounded the ball in two weeks.”

Any concerns Self had about perhaps being fat and happy after clinching a tie Saturday, “were alleviated early,” Self said. “I was shocked at how much energy we had in a short practice. Today we were really good at shoot-around. It obviously meant something to the guys tonight. They were on point, focused. Perry was unbelievable. Frank was great. Wayne (Selden, Jr., nine points) was solid. Devonté had another really good game. We made the extra pass. When we got open looks we made them. We were fortunate they were not able to knock as many down.”

KU will meet Iowa State in a Senior Day contest at 3 p.m., Saturday, in Allen.

— See what people were saying about No. 1-ranked KU’s Big Monday game at Texas during KUsports.com’s live coverage.

More news and notes from KU’s dominant victory at Texas

By the Numbers: Kansas 86, Texas 56

By the Numbers: Kansas 86, Texas 56

Comments

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 8 months ago

I didn't see this kind of a blowout coming but overtime we can out shoot a team 64% vs 32%, good things will happen. I watched the game twice and still don't know if we played all that good of defense or if UT just missed a lot of open shots. Missing all those FTs and the ORebs we gave up are enough to make ones hair turn grey, whatever the score.

We should be 'tuned in' for our Senior Night vs ISU and hold the Number 1 ranking going into Selection Sunday!!!! Hurray....Good luck Hawks!!!!

Janet Olin 3 years, 8 months ago

Hallelujah that KU managed 2 back-to-back strong halves. We've been waiting all year for this kind of sustained effort. Please let it continue. Happy to see Ellis crack a smile (I know I was hallucinating when I thought I saw him stick his tongue out on one play); happy to see 'Mari get a great dunk and some love from the bench; happy to see Svi run a little bit of the point so Devonte and Frank could rest a few minutes and he didn't do too badly. Happy, happy day all 'round.

Steve Zimmerman 3 years, 8 months ago

5 blocks from Lucas!! That's a rim protector right there!

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 8 months ago

All in the first 10 minutes of the game...

Mike Riches 3 years, 8 months ago

Happy March everyone! Congrats to our guys on an undisputed league crown. If our team can consistently play moving forward like they played in this game, we'll get to watch a lot more Jayhawk basketball over the next month+.

Going into this game, I was thinking about the 12/13 squad who were in a similar situation. They had already wrapped up a share of the crown, and played at Baylor the last game of the season with a chance to win it outright. That day, we got killed by 20+ points. What a difference this year in this game! To come out and beat a good, ranked team on the road by 30?! This team is hungry. They know they have a lot to prove in March and it looks like they're ready to do that!

Should be an awesome month!

Steve Zimmerman 3 years, 8 months ago

"http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2015/03/27/Behind_periphery_1__t640.jpg"

Just a reminder to the team... get ready, let there be no more regrets this March, let's go full-speed, don't stop at B12 crown, it's time to claim a bigger trophy!

Rock Chalk!

Andrew Holmes 3 years, 8 months ago

KU always has a great team, but I think we as fans sometime forget that the pressure of continuing the streak probably affects the way guys play. I don't know what goes through the minds of these kids, unless they give an interview, but I'd imagine they think they have to make this play or they have to do this or that to continue the streak. I'd imagine they don't play as freely as they could. Last night that all changed. They were loose, they were free, they were having fun. Not havinf to worry about winning this game to continue the streak seemed to allow the players to enjoy the ride.

I hope Self lets the guys enjoy the ride for the next month. Let these seniors enjoy their last few games with Kansas across their chest. If that happens I think everyone will have an unbelievable March. This team is a fun mix of youth and experience and lasts night's game was the game we all were waiting for. We knew they could play like this, but just didn't know if they would. Continue to do the little things and let's cut down nets in Kansas City, Des Moines, Chicago, and Houston. Rock chalk.

Tom Jones 3 years, 8 months ago

I think we as fans actually overestimate how The Streak affects players, not underestimate. I see so many posts on here about how they're playing this way or that because of it or Bill's coaching this way or that way because of it and it makes no sense. They're playing basketball. They're competitors, so the players and coaches want to win the game and they want to win the league.

I don't understand why people think there's more to it.

Mike Greer 3 years, 8 months ago

You're absolutely right, they are competitors and they want to win every game, we all do. And all of these guys were well aware of the expectations when they came to KU, including coach Self. But if you don't understand pressure and how that effects your body and mind, I doubt if I can help. Why do golfers miss putts when they're one shot up in a tournament? What happens to batters when the count is 0&2, or tennis players when their down 40 love and it's set point? Why do figure scatters put in spins they can't do, well they don't, they do them in practice, but the pressure of competition changes things. I don't know that any of us really understand the pressure on these young guys not to be the team that ends the streak and how it effects their play. All I can say is that the pressure was off last night and it was the best game I've seen them play.

Tom Jones 3 years, 8 months ago

I understand pressure just fine. There was no more or less pressure last night than there were for any of the other games.

They made shots and played great defense and Texas was bad to boot. It had nothing to do with The Streak.

Jay Scott 3 years, 8 months ago

"There was no more or less pressure last night than there were for any of the other games."

Sorry Tom. That's just silly.

Tom Jones 3 years, 8 months ago

Nah. They have Kansas on their jersey. Every game (especially every league game) is huge and the other team's Super Bowl. And yet you're expected to win because...you're Kansas. Pressure every game.

Bryce Landon 3 years, 8 months ago

"Coach told us to have fun"

He told the 2008 team the same thing right before they went out and devastated North Carolina in the national semifinals.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 8 months ago

Observations from Oakville:

1] I gave us about a 50/50 chance to win and about a 1/100 chance to win by 30!!

2] For awhile, I thought the ghost of Rick Barnes was on the Texas bench.

3] To answer Suzi's question, Texas missed a lot of good looks, layups and bunnies. I honestly think we got away with some strong contact on defense. However, every time Frank or Devonte drove, they got punched in the head, no call, so I guess it evened out.

4] The foul shot issue was a matter of not bearing down with a huge lead...still, not a good habit to get into.

5] With Landen, Carlton, Chieck, the redshirt big man and the five star already on the front line, is Thon Maker serious about KU?

6] Although Bill will have his big man center offense available next season, I hope he keeps this perimeter penetration/kick out and fire offense around. With Brannen,Svi[hopefully], Frank and Devonte, the fire power will be there.

7] QUESTION FOR ALL. Would you trade a losing season, the end of the conference title streak, home victory streak and NCAA streak plus Bill going to the NBA next season for a National Title this season???

Andrew Holmes 3 years, 8 months ago

I personally wouldn't trade a national title for that. If I was a KSU or Mizzou fan then I'd jump on that deal. But as a KU fan the answer is no.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 8 months ago

1. NO! If Self got a great offer from the NBA, I'd like for him to do what is best for himSelf but I'd be morning. I've said it a million times, the National Championship is great but so much of it is based upon luck and matches. I'll take our streak of XII over another NC or two every day. It shows an unequaled high level of excellence.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 8 months ago

mourning, Suzi, but close enough. Great answer and who'se to say we won't win a NC down the line anyway!! You and Andy are exactly right. :)

Clark Groseth 3 years, 8 months ago

Who's, Tom, and besides..."YOU and Andy"?

Cam Shef 3 years, 8 months ago

I wouldn't trade all of that but I would trade the end of the conference streak for a National Championship

Jared Reeves 3 years, 8 months ago

Yes. Bill Self is not the only great coach in the nation, and I would expect KU to bet able to get just about any coach they want.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 8 months ago

1. Yes - if I knew a CME was about to hit earth and strip the atmosphere with it.

Jay Scott 3 years, 8 months ago

Do Hannah Davis, World Peace and curing cancer fit into this somehow?

Mike Greer 3 years, 8 months ago

Short answer, NO! Long explanation, yes, there are other coaches that can take this team to a NC, it's just that Larry Brown was the last one before Bill Self, and Roy Williams was a darn good coach and has two at UNC to prove it. Yes, the streak will inevitably end some day, maybe next year, maybe not, who knows, so I'd give up the streak. The home streak, not this year, it's senior day and it's special for the guys, I want them to have a game to remember fondly, not regret. A loosing season, no way, I believe the team takes a lot of pride in their winning seasons, and consecutive trips to the Dance. It takes something really special to have streaks like the consecutive tournament appearances and consecutive weeks in the AP Top 25. That's part of why KU has been able to recruit some of the top talent in the country year after year, these young guys want to be winners and play for winners and that's more than just a National Title. These young guys come to KU knowing they are part of a tradition of excellence and that it's not just a one time deal. That National Championship is great, really great, but it takes a lot of things falling into place and having some luck to go with that. It would be fantastic for KU to have one more this season, but not at the expense of your list.

Rodney Pain 3 years, 8 months ago

As it stands now, Thon might not be an automatic one and done. He's barely projected as a first rounder in 2017 in most mock drafts, so the idea that he'd matriculate to Kansas and play for two years isn't bonkers. I'd still rather add Marques Bolden or Jarret Allen if we're going to get another big, though.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 8 months ago

Agree but unfortunately Jarrett Allen no longer looks like a Kansas get (Texas or Houston) and Marques Bolden is deciding between Duke and UK. I'm not sure we will sign another player for next year - maybe a transfer?

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 8 months ago

I hope he is smart enough to realize that staying is the better option. Being a lottery pick instead of a late first rounder or 2nd round pick is worth the difference in the money he gets in his 1st contract alone plus he simply won't get the experience he will get next year.

I think Bragg and Diallo will get just about all the minutes at the 4 with Lucas, Azubuike and Coleby at the 5. Of course Self will play w/multiple lineups but that's what I think will be the situation in most cases.

Jay Scott 3 years, 8 months ago

Either way there are good options. Coleby will be interesting. If he can provide 15-20 quality minutes per game a combo of AZ, Bragg, Coleby and Lucas might be plenty. Lightfoot is an interesting player too. He seems like a blend or Traylor, KY and Morningstar...

Kent Richardson 3 years, 8 months ago

Shaka ball is ugly to watch. It took us 10+ minutes to score the final 14 points. His hack a hawk was effective as was the ball hawking of Frank later in the second half. Will tourney teams with less athletes foul us and get a better shot at victory?

We missed 5 straight at one point and then went 50/50 at the foul line after that. I guess when you are up 30 it's not such a big deal.

Wayne was ineffective on offense but kept his composure. Nice.

Texas hounded Svi and Brannen outside with zero attempts by Svi and two for Brannen. We moved the ball and the other guards made them pay.

Perry had a great first half when everything went in. Looked AA.

Texas was relentless in going inside but we handled it except for Felix the gnome who is pretty nifty like Ulis is at Kentucky.

We should hope for better play from Bragg and Diallo they are so unreliable it hurts when subbing for our other bigs. No hesitance from Hunter and we could say he is not hurt anymore. Will we ever know why he is last off the bench? I mean come on, he is altering shots making passes and his jam was no jelly rolll. From starter to nothing?

John Boyle 3 years, 8 months ago

Are you being serious? I like Hunter but he was awful last night. He was out of rhythm. He was overly aggressive on defense which actually hurt the team. At this point, I would much rather see Traylor on the court.

RJ King 3 years, 8 months ago

You'll get your wish Saturday. Line up will probably be:

5 - Hunter

4 - Traylor

3 - Perry

2 - Frank

1 - Evan

Or will Self have Frank (or Davonte?) play the point and Evan at SG?

Jared Reeves 3 years, 8 months ago

Dominant performance. I don't expect to see KU play this well every game, but it is really nice to know we can turn it on like that. Lucas has consistently improved, and it is nice to see Selden get some shots to fall.

Benz Junque 3 years, 8 months ago

I fully expect to see KU play with this same mindset; to go out there and aggressively FIGHT to win a game.

Kyle Brooks 3 years, 8 months ago

I know as fans we all love to critique our favorite team on planet Earth. But man these are the games you just sit back and no matter what is happening enjoy the heck out of it. With the points that some of you are making about a few negatives that went on, KU still walked in to Austin, Texas and didn't just beat the Longhorns, they smacked them around and embarrassed them on national TV. When was the last time KU did that to a ranked team on the road. I loved every second of it. Big time statement win entering March!

Andy Hess 3 years, 8 months ago

Here's a question...how much trouble do you think Hunter Mickelson got for emphatically dunking with 30 seconds left in a 30 point blowout? Since, according to a lot of the KU fans I've seen, that is the epitome of bad sportsmanship... Don't worry, I'll wait.

Jay Scott 3 years, 8 months ago

Sadly, this isn't the stupidest comment you've made.

Andy Hess 3 years, 8 months ago

ooh. a personal attack on the internet. that hurts my wittle feelings.

Jay Scott 3 years, 8 months ago

What you've posted is a matter of record. Some examples? Both these posts are indisputably more stupid.

1) On Ellis - "He's a horrendous on defense, gets regularly pushed around down low on both sides of the ball, and he's a weak leader. He could put up 25 a game regularly, and this would still be true." -Andy

2) "I'll say it again. With no strong team leadership from the upperclassmen, this team will not succeed. Perry may be able to string together some good personal showings, but he's a mute on the court, he's a weak, terrible defender, and he's no leader. The guys we have to facilitate our offense at the 1 and 2 were desperation signings, we all know that, and it shows on the court." -Andy

There's much more. Your track record of posting idiocy is significant. Nothing personal....

Andy Hess 3 years, 8 months ago

I stand by all that, and a difference of opinion doesn't make me an idiot, it just means i don't think like you do.

Jay Scott 3 years, 8 months ago

I was hoping you would say that. Now you've defined yourself as an idiot.

John Boyle 3 years, 8 months ago

Not even close to the same situation. He actually dunked with 32 seconds left and 24 seconds left on the shot clock. The Jayhawks didn't have the opportunity to just run the clock out and he was being rewarded for running the court after Bragg's rebound. You really don't understand this game that well or you wouldn't make such ridiculous statements and then your little taunting at the end of your statement was just plan childish.

Andy Hess 3 years, 8 months ago

he was sprinting toward the basket like we needed to score when he could have just backed it out and dribbled time off the clock. and it was far more emphatic than Brannen Greene nonchalantly dropping the ball through the net as if he thought the game was already over. I don't understand the game because I don't see things your way? Wow. Nice histrionic response.

Andy Hess 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm glad I've added a word to your vocabulary.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 8 months ago

You really should quit on this. Another two shovels of manure and you won't be able to breath.

John Boyle 3 years, 8 months ago

In what way was my response "exaggerated dramatic behavior designed to attract attention". Maybe you used the wrong word??? Not sure?? Keep trying though, if you keep talking eventually something intelligent will come out (I hope).

Al Martin 3 years, 8 months ago

Did you really miss this difference? Both teams were actually playing at the time Hunter dunked. Brannen dunked while coaches were shaking hands.

Andy Hess 3 years, 8 months ago

right, because if you actually watch it, Brannen is dunking nonchalantly like players do after a foul call or when time expires. Hunter could have backed it out and dribbled out some time instead of running the court like Darrell Arthur and dunking like we needed the two points.

Jocelyn Kennedy 3 years, 8 months ago

That's exactly what he was doing - casually dunking like after a stop in play or time out. I honestly do not think Brannen had a single thought that he was being disrespectful. It's not like he looked at the time clock and thought "Hmmm, how can I make coach mad in these two seconds?"

Armen Kurdian 3 years, 8 months ago

I had no problem with Hunter dunking the ball. Of course, I didn't have a problem with Brannen dunking it either. So at least I am philosophically consistent.

Mike Greer 3 years, 8 months ago

Well, at least someone was trying to guard Mickelson. I watched UTs comeback over OU and Texas was doing that to Oklahoma long after the Sooners had given up on the game, so I don't feel bad for UT. Greene's issue was that he was the only one still playing. I can't blame the subs for wanting to make their shots and take advantage of their time on the court. What you didn't see is Coach calling off the shooting and then someone taking a shot. And he did call off the attack with the subs on the floor.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 8 months ago

We are KU. We shouldn't justify anything with:

They did it to someone else or What they did to us.

Mike Greer 3 years, 8 months ago

No justification necessary, as I stated, these guys want to play when they are on the court, and as long as the other team is still playing, the game is on.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 8 months ago

I know you're trying to make a point but two totally different situations. Now if Vick shot a 3 on the last possession, then you would at least have an analogous situation.

Buck Bukaty 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm placing my order now for the Baker's Dozen next year!

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 8 months ago

off topic, but I'm looking at ESPN's latest Bracketology and the MW region looks stacked against us.

1. KU

2. Michigan St.

3. Kentucky

4. Duke (champions classic?)

5. Texas

6. Cal

7. Wichita St.

8. USC

9. Syracuse

10. UConn

11. Butler/Michigan

12. San Diego St.

13. Akron

14. Stephen F. Austin (giant killer? 16 game win streak) then it gets easier

15. IPFW

16. Texas Southern/Wagner

Jay Scott 3 years, 8 months ago

ESPN = ENTERTAINMENT and Sports Programming Network.

Rodney Pain 3 years, 8 months ago

Even if it is just hypothetical click bate, I have to say that KU has the dubious honor of drawing unusually tough brackets when they're perceived as a strong team by the committee.

Chad Harris 3 years, 8 months ago

Landon Lucas reminds me a lot of Sasha Kaun. He was an iffy player, then improved immensely through the season. And he help Kansas get to the Championship game and well we all know what happen after that:-)

This team is playing like a team and each player is playing their role. This teams reminds me of the 2008 team...except better. This is the year of the Jayhawk.

Does anyone see how much Greene has improved on the bench? Like he is cheering for his teammates and when he does that I feel like everyone's attitude is so much better. It's amazing how a negative attitude for some played affect the whole team.

Jared Reeves 3 years, 8 months ago

I think your Lucas/Kaun comparison is on target, but this team is not nearly as good as the 2008 team. That was a dominant team that occasionally slipped up. This is a very good team that sometimes plays great. Kenpom shows the difference in the defense alone (92.7 AdjD this year vs. 87.1 AdjD in 2008). For perspective, this year's team would have the 20th ranked defense in 2008; and the 2008 Jayhawks were ranked first (and second on offense).

In a hypothetical match-up, 2008 would win 8 out of 10.

Mike Greer 3 years, 8 months ago

I'll admit I don't totally understand all of Kenpom calculations and adjustments. But can you really compare teams that are 8 years apart? Isn't your defense influenced by who you play? This may be the best the Big XII has ever been, so 18 of your games are against better teams than in previous years, but how do you quantify that and convert that into a one to one comparison?

One comparison I can make is offensively, both 2008, 2012, and this years team spread the wealth. No one players is the high scorer every game. If Mason is cold Gram picks up the slack, in the TTU game Ellis was covered like a blanket, and Svi made up the difference. Texas wouldn't let Svi or Brannen get open shots and Perry quietly put them away. Wayne has fantastic games, like the one against Kentucky and then someone else is the star. I think not depending on one guy to carry the load every game is similar amongst these teams.

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 8 months ago

Does it adjust to a 30 second clock versus a 35 second clock? How about the movement of the arch from 3 feet to 4 feet? I agree these are helpful, but when rules change its not quite apples to apples...maybe green apples to red apples...who knows. But good information to think about and help align the two. When scoring is up like 15% from last year, by that alone should reflect the AdjD would be different.

Jared Reeves 3 years, 8 months ago

Mike and Jeff,

AdjD is "(a)djusted defensive efficiency: points allowed per 100 possessions (adjusted for opponent)."

It is impossible to have a 100% accurate comparison, but the comparison is still valid. In fact, I would challenge someone to find a single stat where this year's team is better than the 2008 team. It might exist, but the vast majority of stats would likely favor the 08 team. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/statistics/team/_/stat/scoring-per-game/year/2008

Mike Greer 3 years, 8 months ago

Thanks Jared, I get points per 100 possessions, what I don't get is how you adjust for opponent. I'm sure they have a way to take opponent into account, but I don't know how you do that with any degree of accuracy. I guess I'm more skeptical about how valid of a comparison this really is. My problem not yours.

Jay Scott 3 years, 8 months ago

Or a shorter shot clock, which equals more possessions, not more efficient ones.

Chad Harris 3 years, 8 months ago

Excellent points Mike. I too don't understand those Kenpom numbers either haha. You're right that this is the first year the Big12 is that good. I read an article last weeks and all of these basketball fans are saying how awful the Big 12 is compared to the ACC. Which I feel like isn't s fair statement. The ACC is tough but I don't feel like there is a clear cut for #1. Miami looks solid but Duke and UNC are night and day. Does anyone else have thoughts to that?

David Howell 3 years, 8 months ago

Wow ............ I was one of the many embarrassed KU fans at the OSU game in Stillwater. That night the Hawks looked inept and lost while losing to an obviously inferior team. Many if not ALL fans were down on the team .............

However, in hindsight that loss may have been what saved the season. Since then we have 11 wins to 1 loss ! Coach Self like always knew what to preach, what to change, and of course Landen Lucas was finally provided a chance to start and prove why he belonged on the court. With five quality big men, depth, and a bench combo of Greene/Mykhailiuk starting to hit 3 pt. shots, the only thing stopping KU now is our tendency to not rebound very well. If we play every game like last night we should have a long dance in the Tournament.

Jack Hoff 3 years, 8 months ago

I think this team really put an emphasis on why Bill Self is best suited to coach veteran teams. That's probably the case for any coach but in my mind the difference between this team and the teams of the past few years are night and day. Bill Self excels when he is given a chance to coach up prospects who weren't necesarily rated at the top of their class. ie. Mason, Devonte. I would gladly take Josh Jackson of course but history has proven KU is better off in the long run getting more LeGerald Vick type players. I am convinced Vick is gonna be a stud for KU later on. As solid as this year's team might be next year may be even better...Scary. Excited to see what the post season brings! As I stated earlier however, this team has to get the job done on Saturday. Would be criminal to lose on senior night.

Dennis Morrell 3 years, 8 months ago

I have wondered why our BPI index seems to be low. The Oklahoma State game rating is 20.3 which is part of the average of 86.8 good for sixth place as of this morning (includes a 99.6 vs Texas). Other teams in the top 20 have low numbers also, but none close to the OKState game. I decided to calculate the BPI using only last 10 games in rating order North Carolina 86.03 Villanova 86.82 Michigan State 92.69 Louisville not calculated KU 96.9 OU 79.83 Duke 84.43 SMU not calculated West Virginia 80.27 Miami 82.89 Arizona 84.41 Xavier 83.35 ISU 83.4

Kentucky 85.66

Nice to have a team peaking at the correct time.

My comment about their play is when Self puts in subs lately it has been rare that a blatant error is made and the player is yanked. It looks like everyone understands there role and each is playing well. Excitement from the bench is in wow category from the team.