Thursday, February 18, 2016

Traylor returning to court-storming site

Kansas forward Perry Ellis moves to the sideline as fans rush the court following the Jayhawks' 70-63 loss to the Wildcats, Monday, Feb. 23, 2015 at Bramlage Coliseum. At right, a Kansas State fan bumps into Kansas forward Jamari Traylor.

Jamari Traylor did not get nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for his calm, cool, collected behavior after last Feb. 23’s Kansas-Kansas State basketball game at Bramlage Coliseum in Manhattan.

However, the 6-foot-8 KU forward did receive lots of praise — locally and nationally — for not retaliating in any way when he was run into by a KSU student, who was cited for disorderly conduct following a wild court-storming incident after the Wildcats’ 70-63 victory.

“I don’t know, to be honest,” Traylor said recently, asked to reflect on why he did not strike the student who charged into him. “I’ve gotten in enough trouble as it is. I don’t need any more. I’m just trying to be cool,” he added, smiling.

“I’m definitely not always mellow, but I’ve been working on that. I feel I’ve been trying to be more a leader,” he added of his personality in this, his senior season. “I get into my emotions sometimes, and coach (Bill Self) calms me down and everything. I feel, for the most part, I’ve done a lot better being calm.”

In retrospect, the court-storming incident of a year ago — sure to be in the news this week with KU headed to K-State for a 5 p.m. tip Saturday — could have been a lot worse had Traylor decided to go after any students wearing purple who invaded his personal space.

“I was surprised people cared so much about me getting bumped. I take on average far worse in the game than that all the time,” Traylor said.

That court-storming incident — which also included KSU coach Bruce Weber trying to keep fans from squeezing Self into the scorer’s table — led to a new Big 12 rule that allows Commissioner Bob Bowlsby to penalize schools if he deems a court-storming incident worthy of sanctions.

He did not take action earlier this season when Des Moines Register reporter Randy Peterson broke his leg in a court-storming incident at Iowa State. Fans stormed the court Wednesday in Lubbock, Texas, after Texas Tech’s victory over Oklahoma.

“To be candid, when you are getting your butt beat, and the game’s over, and initially you walk to shake hands, you may think something is going to happen, but you don’t imagine the players being in harm’s way or whatnot,” Self said recently when asked about court storming in general. KU has had the court stormed after losses at West Virginia and Oklahoma State this season. Iowa State fans did not storm after a Cyclone victory.

“We do what we always do, shake hands and congratulate your opponent,” Self said. “Then the reality is, all it takes is just one guy to chicken wing a player or do something, and potentially you have a melee on your hands. My personal opinion, and we’ve been involved in a ton of them ... if they are handled right, and there’s good security, and they do it in the middle of the court, I always thought that was OK. I don’t like when the students can storm the areas where the players have to be.

“In the Iowa State deal (storm versus Iowa this year), it looked innocent to me. It was in the middle of the court. Players didn’t seem to be in harm’s way, still a reporter breaks his leg. That’s twice in Ames. I know an official, Darron George, broke his wrist when we played up there a few years ago. I know because I went to the locker room with him. We’ve sent up enough warning shots. It’s like, ‘OK, we have to handle this because the next one could be a really bad one.’ Nobody needs that or wants that.

“The simple solution,” Self went on, “would be don’t do it, but if you are going to allow it, you have to staff it and pay for it with more security in order to make sure none of this could happen. If you are going to make the decision to allow it, then staff it accordingly to make sure there could be no injuries. If you are not willing to pay the extra money to police it, then don’t allow it at all.”

Self is all for fans celebrating victories, just in a safe way.

“I’ve said all along I’m fine with it. Just keep it away from the scorer’s table where teams are exiting and stuff like this,” Self said. “I understand in kids’ minds ... heck, we tore down the goalposts here (in KU’s Memorial Stadium) after the Royals won the World Series. I know kids will do whatever. Certainly it adds to the energy and excitement of a big win. We’ve had enough warnings that something bad could occur ... we’ve had opposing fans put their hands on opposing players (Traylor). We’ve had two broken limbs (Peterson and George), and all occurred within our league. I’m sure our commissioner and ADs are very aware. I hope it can be corrected. I’m not saying totally eliminated, but if it can’t be corrected it has to be eliminated.”

KU-Tech in morning: Game time has been set for 11 a.m. for the KU-Texas Tech game Feb. 27 in Allen Fieldhouse. It will be shown live on ESPN. No time has yet been set for the KU-Iowa State game on March 5.

Bahe has surgery: Former KU/Creighton guard Nick Bahe, who is host of “Game Time” on 1620 radio in Omaha, Neb., announced Tuesday he will be off the air at least two weeks because of a tumor in his thymus gland. Surgery was Wednesday, according to omaha.com. Doctors removed the gland and will perform tests to reveal whether the tumor is cancerous.

Bahe, 31, is also color analyst for Creighton and Big East basketball.

“It’s been probably the most challenging stretch of months of my entire life,” Bahe said on his radio show as reported by omaha.com. He has been battling various symptoms this winter.

“You hear the word ‘cancer,’ and it shakes you pretty good. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t scared, because I am. But here’s the thing: The only thing you have control over is your state of mind,” Bahe said.

“I could choose to tap into the fear and scary thoughts in my mind. I can make that choice. But I’ve tried really hard, and I’m continuing to try really hard to tap into the positive, optimistic part of my mind.”

Comments

Joe Ross 4 years, 8 months ago

Dont know if anyone was watching college basketball last night, but several games caused wild deflections of the needle on the Richter Scale. The numbers 3, 4, and 5 teams behind Kansas all lost, as well as WV a day earlier than that. This is breathing room that Kansas has the opportunity to take advantage of, if they dont relax and approach each game with the intensity it deserves. And there is reason to be emphasize focus right now. The teams in Kansas' final stretch are going to be tough. Among ranked conference opponents, we face Baylor there, Texas (who just beat WV on their home floor) there, and emerging Kansas rival Iowa State at home. Not to be taken for granted, however, are Kansas State there, and a Texas Tech team that just recently beat ranked Iowa State, Baylor and Oklahoma in three consecutive games. One game at a time though, beginning with Kansas State. Our fuel is to remember what happened last year, both during the game and after.

Dale Rogers 4 years, 8 months ago

Definitely do not overlook Kansas State. We have lost at Bramlage in each of the past three tries. I expect a dog fight Saturday. I will give a shout out to K-State for the way they handled court storming in a recent game. The students did not storm the floor when I expected they would. Instead, the KSU players went into the stands to slap hands with the fans. Whether that's workable for everyone is debatable but I liked the way it was handled that time.

Bryce Landon 4 years, 8 months ago

It makes my scalp itch to give you a thumbs-up any time you open your piehole on these threads; but in this case, I have to make an exception.

Jay Scott 4 years, 8 months ago

While that sounds uncomfortable it's obviously the least of your many ailments. If you'd reply with your Zip Code I could provide a list of dermatologists and psychologists in your area. Medicare, Medicaid or private coverage?

Bryce Landon 4 years, 8 months ago

That's funny coming from someone who has to buy Clearasil and Proactiv in deluxe-size bottles from Sam's Club.

Jay Scott 4 years, 8 months ago

You were the one complaining about your scalp issues. Your need for the other specialty is self (pun intended) evident.

Kent Richardson 4 years, 8 months ago

It was really not all good. The KSU players when they beat OU did not get in the greeting line but went into the stands and frosted OU. Not really good sportsman ship.

Tom Jones 4 years, 8 months ago

Win two of our three road games and we'll have at least a share. No way we're losing Perry's last game in AFH or to Tech here.

Even winning one of the three roadies should get us a share. Don't see WVU winning out.

Winning the next two will pretty much assure we win the league outright IMHO.

Yonatan Negash 4 years, 8 months ago

January 22, 2013 was the last time KU won in Manhattan.

Ellis and Traylor were freshmen.

Rest of our player if not all have never won there.

Well, guess what? That's all going to change this Saturday.

KU will win in Manhattan.

While I don't think the outcome of the game will be by a big margin, we'll win the game.

I'd also like to point out the OU vs WV game will be a huge factor for KU.

I honestly believe OU will beat WV, meaning KU will be up 2 games after Saturday.

I don't see OU losing three games in a row, especially to a team physically beat up. After losing to KU and Texas Tech, their next game against WV is essentially a must win.

Ron Kruger is too good of a coach and OU is too good of a team to lose three games in a row. There is too much on the line for OU to lose three in a row. I don't see it happening. It all comes down to timing.

If WV was healthy, OU may not have a shot at winning in Morganstown. But the Mountaineers looked tired and physically beat up against Texas. Injuries are catching up with WV at the worst time of the season. There is a good chance WV ends up losing three straight.

No doubt Saturday is a huge day for KU.

Bryce Landon 4 years, 8 months ago

I didn't know Ron Kruger coached the Sooners...

Kent Richardson 4 years, 8 months ago

Freddy it the other brother, Bryce. Geez!

Andrew Holmes 4 years, 8 months ago

Lucas should have been on the team too. I believed he redshirted that first year but at least was there to witness a win.

We will know plenty by the time we tip of against KSU at 5. WVU/OU play at 3. If I was told a few weeks ago that KU could potentially have a two game lead with four games to play I'd have laughed and said no way. It's amazing hat it could happen.

KU hasn't won 11 titles in a row being the best team or always having the best players. They win it because they consistently win every game at home and win a majority of the time on the road. Not very often do they have multiple bad losses on the road in the same season. This year is no different. They are winning at home and not getting beat by bad teams on the road (I know, I know OSU but we struggle every year in Stillwater so not completely surprising). No finish strong and wrap this thing up with a win over Tech on the 27th.

Yonatan Negash 4 years, 8 months ago

You're right, I completely forgot about Lucas.

Bryce Landon 4 years, 8 months ago

The atmosphere in Bramlage Coliseum last year was beyond hostile; it was toxic. With the recent behavior of students and fans and the self-glorifying apologies from the KSU brass, I wouldn't be surprised if the atmosphere equally toxic, or worse.

Edward Daub 4 years, 8 months ago

Brannen Greene will be targeted by these hostile KSU Fans. They will probably boo every time he touches the ball. It will be interesting to see how BG handles the situation. Self might be wise to minimize BG's P.T. in this toxic atmosphere.

Jay Scott 4 years, 8 months ago

Greene doesn't mind attention......He'll feed off it.

Joe Ross 4 years, 8 months ago

Timid teams do what you suggest. It's a soft mindset. Never let another team dictate what you do. You be YOU. If BG is targeted by the fans, then give them a double dose of Brannen. What color is money? GREENE.

I say make it rain.

Janet Olin 4 years, 8 months ago

The rest of us will cringe if Greene touches and/or dribbles the ball without shooting a trey. He will be targeted by KU fans if he deviates from the one and only thing he can contribute: a timely trey. Forget KSU. KU fans are more worrisome.

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 8 months ago

K State trying its best to make this our #1 rivalry.. They'll need to start contending for BIG 12 titles before they come close to Missouri.

Keith Gellar 4 years, 8 months ago

i hear traylor was so traumatized by the KSU incident last year he couldn't even sleep and had to go to counseling. infact he would wake up @ night screaming when his pillow would accidentally bump into him resulting in a news article on kusports.com. True story.

Adam Bengtson 4 years, 8 months ago

Just look at the picture. The guy bum rushing Traylor just looks like a drunk idiot.

Bryce Landon 4 years, 8 months ago

And there aren't drunk idiots at other schools? Including KU?

Bryce Landon 4 years, 8 months ago

Nobody. I'm just stating facts. Every major college you go to has drunk idiots, including both KU and KSU.

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 8 months ago

True but not rushing the court and purposely targeting players. I don't believe that I've ever seen that happen at any game that Kansas was victorious. Could be wrong but I don't think so.

Janet Olin 4 years, 8 months ago

Given Traylor's youth history, it's hard to imagine Jamari worried about the fans; however, given Traylor's youth history, it's a Huge tribute to him and his mentors that he has the maturity not to retaliate.

JD Roth 4 years, 8 months ago

Like I said KU's season turned around starting with the win versus UK. I really think with Lucas playing to his potential this team is poised to make a run to the Final Four.

Andrew Holmes 4 years, 8 months ago

Let's just hope that none of our rotational bigs gets injured. That's been the biggest issue KU has had the past couple of years. Embiid a couple of years ago then Perry last year, with Cliff being ineligible. If we go into the tournament healthy, the sky is the limit. A Final Four and National Championship run isn't out of the question

KU does seem to be playing some of their best basketball at the right time, however, there are still stretches (i.e. OSU game; four consecutive turnovers agaisnt WVU) where the guys seem to be playing with their heads somewhere other than in the game. If they can manage to stay focused and take it to their opponent instead of reacting, then they could potentially be unstoppable. That being said, I do believe that this next month and a half will be fun for us fans and KU basketball.

Mike Greer 4 years, 8 months ago

For some unknown reason KU has had trouble the past couple of years in Stillwater (saw this years edition in person) and the little Apple. At least Manhattan fills the place up, Stillwater was maybe half full. Anyway should be a good game, but the thrillers should be OU @ WVU and Baylor @ UT, ISU almost has the weekend off. The Jayhawks really need to take care of this one as it's going to get bloody down the stretch.

Michael Lorraine 4 years, 8 months ago

If we weren’t such snobs we could storm the court every time we beat K-State as a mocking gesture. Fans could run out bare footed with overalls. Perhaps a couple of them could dress as basketball players and get shoved by the onslaught of fans storming the court. But that would be beneath us.

Clara Westphal 4 years, 8 months ago

When you have a winning program, it is not necessary or becoming to storm the court.

Jim Keen 4 years, 8 months ago

Totally agree Clara. You are certainly correct. And, Jayhawk fans have a lot more class than that. But, Michael's facetious K-State court storming scenario is actually pretty funny anyway.

Janet Olin 4 years, 8 months ago

Winning removes all 'requisites' of court-storming. Thank you.

Michael Lorraine 4 years, 8 months ago

From the book of KU basketball etiquette by Charles Remington Uppercrust III.

Janet Olin 4 years, 8 months ago

I am 'old school' in that I think players should be respectful of the game and not make it an ego-trip. I like the attitude you should act like you've 'been there before'. I can relate to crowds who want to storm the court after winning what was an impossible task; otherwise, step back and take a breath...

Lin Rahardja 4 years, 8 months ago

KSU deserves a good game, so the fans can go home quietly.