Kansas defeats Oklahoma State, 94-67

• 8 p.m., Feb. 15, 2016
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Monday, February 15, 2016

Jayhawks avoid letdown, beat Oklahoma State

But Self not fan of intensity KU showed on Big Monday

Kansas guard Wayne Selden Jr. (1) puts up a shot against  Oklahoma State guard Tyree Griffin (2), guard Leyton Hammonds and forward Mitchell Solomon during the second half, Monday, Feb. 15, 2016 at Allen Fieldhouse. At left are Kansas forward Perry Ellis (34) and Oklahoma State guard Tavarius Shine (5).

Kansas guard Wayne Selden Jr. (1) puts up a shot against Oklahoma State guard Tyree Griffin (2), guard Leyton Hammonds and forward Mitchell Solomon during the second half, Monday, Feb. 15, 2016 at Allen Fieldhouse. At left are Kansas forward Perry Ellis (34) and Oklahoma State guard Tavarius Shine (5).

Kansas University’s No. 2-ranked basketball team did enact its revenge on the Big 12’s ninth-place team — Oklahoma State — on Monday night, winning by 27 points in Allen Fieldhouse after losing to the Cowboys by 19 on Jan. 19 in Stillwater, Okla.

The 94-67 Jayhawk beatdown didn’t seem all that satisfying to coach Bill Self, however. His Jayhawks were coming off Saturday’s emotional 76-72 victory over Oklahoma in Norman, Okla.

KU (22-4 overall, 10-3 Big 12) saw an 18-point lead dip to six over the (12-14, 3-10) Cowboys with 11:18 to play, courtesy of an unsightly 17-5 OSU run.

“It didn’t hurt us (KU players) tonight when the other team scored. Against (20-4, 8-4) OU, it hurt us when they scored on us. It was a breakdown when they (Sooners) scored,” Self said of the Jayhawk players almost taking it as a personal affront when the Sooners cashed a basket.

“Today it was, ‘OK, well, we’ll be all right.’ We’ve got to get rid of that attitude, but it was good to see the ball go in the hole,” Self added after six of his players scored in double figures and hit 50 percent of their shots including 11 of 21 threes.

Landen Lucas scored a career-high 14 points and grabbed 10 rebounds as the Jayhawks showed fight on the glass by out-boarding OSU, 45-27.

Meanwhile, Wayne Selden, Jr., had 18 points, Perry Ellis 15 points, Frank Mason III 14 points, six assists and five rebounds; Brannen Greene 11 points and five boards, Devonté Graham 10 points and Carlton Bragg Jr. six points.

“We weren’t near as focused. I anticipated it,” Self said of a KU team that moved to No. 1 in overall RPI after Saturday’s victory against the powerful Sooners. “I think we played a little tired. The thing is, our guys play better when they are nervous about it. Tonight we had inner confidence which is good. I don’t think we had the intensity level we had in Norman.”

KU junior guard Greene, who cashed three threes in three tries and had his third straight solid performance since his one-minute outing at TCU, agreed the team didn’t quite have the energy defensively Monday night.

“I don’t think we stopped them like we should have,” Greene said of OSU, which hit 40.7 percent of its shots and seven of 20 threes. The Pokes led by as many as nine points the first half.

“They were getting shots off their actions. I think we were a little bit tired. It was a quick turnaround from Saturday,” Greene added. “Obviously knowing what was at stake from the Oklahoma game (first place in league) ... we might have been a little more turned up. I think we were. I still think we did our job and got it done (vs. OSU).”

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self liked KU's offense vs. OSU, but not Jayhawks' defense

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self discusses the Jayhawks' Big Monday win over Oklahoma State, addressing, among many topics, how KU's offense looked much better than its defense.

Download podcast

Greene is out of the coach’s doghouse, so to speak, after dunking the basketball right before the final buzzer sounded in KU’s 77-59 win over K-State on Feb. 3.

“To me it was kind of meaningless. I didn’t really mean much out of it,” Greene said. “I looked forward. I kept working, kept trying to get better. That’s all it was. I kind of tuned it out. I do apologize and am sorry for it. I’m just ready to play. It’s about the basketball game.”

Greene has grabbed 12 rebounds the last three games while playing double-digit minutes against West Virginia, Oklahoma and OSU. He played 18 minutes Monday night, hitting four of five shots overall.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Lucas, Greene and Selden talk Big Monday win over OSU

Kansas basketball players Landen Lucas, Brannen Greene and Wayne Selden Jr. discuss the Jayhawks' 94-67 home win over Oklahoma State.

Download podcast

“Coach has been emphasizing it,” Greene said of attacking the glass. “That’s what I’ve been trying to do.

“Playing better is what gets you on the court,” Greene added. “And trying to do better on defense. If you do what coach wants, he’ll play you. The main thing is we’re winning right now and I’m very happy.

“I think everybody wants the same goal on our team. We want to win the Big 12 title for sure. We also know in the postseason there are things we want to take care of, too. Our focus is continuing to win.”

Next attempt will be 5 p.m., Saturday at Kansas State. Greene figures to be booed heavily by Wildcat fans following that dunk in Lawrence.

“It is what it is, probably so,” he said of fans getting on him in Bramlage Coliseum. “It won’t faze me much. I don’t really care too much about that.”

“It’s been a good week for us, (beating) West Virginia Tuesday, OU Saturday and Oklahoma State tonight. A good week also takes energy and focus. We’ll take tomorrow off, not do much Wednesday, then prepare them Thursday. That’s the way we usually do it,” coach Self stated.

— See what people were saying about KU’s rematch with the Cowboys during KUsports.com’s live coverage

More news and notes from the KU-OSU rematch

By the Numbers: Kansas 94, Oklahoma State 67

By the Numbers: Kansas 94, Oklahoma State 67

Comments

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 9 months ago

We better not reproduce that 'tired' post OU ordeal again! We can secure number 12 if we lock into these next two games at KSU and BU. If we can win these next 3 games, we could go into Austin with at least a tie for the XII.

RJ King 3 years, 9 months ago

Takeaways:

1. Thought how Wayne must be underwhelming the NBA scouts, then seemingly out of nowhere he's the leading scorer.

2. Great to see Lucas with a double double, and looking more in sync. Not in favor of asking the players who to start, but sure seems to have given him a boost of confidence.

3. OSU was in early semi-foul trouble. Mason with the most FT attempts. Team needs to draw fouls - especially on opponent with short bench. (And no, I didn't mean Ford.)

4. Time for a new in-bounds play.

5. Will Self call out Diallo for the attempted dunk with 21 on the shot clock? Or does he get a freshman pass?

6. Perry sat in the 1st half partly with two fouls. Hopefully he didn't get banged up on the OSU tripping foul.

Rest up Hawks!

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 9 months ago

short bench! I gotta admit, I wouldn't have thought about Ford if you hadn't mentioned it. That's great

Kent Richardson 3 years, 9 months ago

Studious and funny RJ.

Wayne was away from us for four games, I will say in Wa Wa Land. He goes there from time to time and has his whole career. Then the aliens who have been experimenting on him, release him back to us. The android, who the little green men foist on us, is not prograhamed to win, per se, (I think the "Alpha Centauri Cosmos' reporter who is embedded with the invaders has an east galaxy bias), but just a body to keep the men in black, Matt, Jessie, Keegs and Gary from being suspicious. I hear there was a scandal when it was reported that the government contract with an Outer Boogoolian company, who supplied the flawed Brannen type replacerment androids, was involved in a kick back scandal with a Dweebian Senator. Things are tough everywhere.

Arthur Ankeney 3 years, 9 months ago

Hahaha. I don't think he gets a "freshman" pass. I think he gets a pass because: He couldn't have run the clock out He doesn't get much playing time and those guys always want (deserve) a chance to score Oklahoma State was still playing defense and not shaking hands

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 9 months ago

Not only that, but it also wasn't a bad play. As he dribbled down, both defenders moved out of the lane to guard the wings and left the lane wide open. He's certainly capable of dunking from that distance, it just didn't go down, possibly from putting too much power behind it. Regardless, I don't think he did anything "bad", other than missing it. Missed dunks happen, just ask Wayne and Perry, they miss plenty of them.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 9 months ago

Diallo will get a pass - I thought the shot clock would have run off before the game clock when he took that shot but good easily be wrong.

Having a short bench is not always detrimental (we played the 2012 championship game with a short bench) but getting key players in foul trouble and the game plan falls apart.

Mike Riches 3 years, 9 months ago

Nice win, I'm glad we took care of business for the most part. We didn't play much defense for the first few minutes but they also came out red hot, which we knew wasn't going to last. It's tough for players at any level to play with 100% intensity and urgency 100% of the time.

Quick thought on Selden, it's becoming very difficult for me to see Wayne going pro after this year. There's just not much in his game right now that would translate to the pro game. He's considerably smaller and slower than almost anyone in an NBA backcourt. I really like Wayne, and I think he's becoming a really good college player, but I also think the new rule about being able to consult with NBA scouts, and then withdraw based on their advice, may keep him in school another year.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 9 months ago

It's just too bad that we lost at Oklahoma State. They have three conference wins and one of them was donated by KU. It just shows how important every game is.

We cannot afford to get rattled by Kansas State. It would really suck to lose either the outright or a piece of the championship by letting Kansas State beat us. I'm sure Self is stressing that very point. If we play like we did in Norman then we win easily.

Bryce Landon 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm glad we won, and I'm glad we crushed them by 27. I'm a little bothered, however, by the fact that they came out punching us in the mouth just like they did in Stillwater, and by the fact that they were able to trim an 18-point lead to 6 before we finally ran them off. We're talking about an OSU team that lost to last-place TCU and entered the game in 8th place in the conference. I don't know what Travis Ford does to get his team more motivated to play Kansas than any other Big 12 team.

Oh well, perhaps I should stop dwelling on the negatives and be happy that, for at least a day, we have first place all to ourselves with a 1/2-game lead on WVU. Let's root for the Longhorns tonight!

Adam Collins 3 years, 9 months ago

Maybe Ford just has that inner hatred that exudes over from playing at Missouri for a year. Then he went to Kentucky. Woof.

Kent Richardson 3 years, 9 months ago

OSU under Ford plays to win every game. We don't. We play to try and execute as Self sees fit. OSU chucks it up and drives with purpose and it's up to the opponent or their own lack of skill to stop it.

RJ King 3 years, 9 months ago

They came out and made a couple 3's right off the bat. I believe they were contested. Seemed to me it was hot shooting on their part, and cold shooting on ours. I wasn't that concerned about their early lead.

I think the squandered lead in the second half was part "the way the ball bounces" and part KU's lack of focus. That is a concern. A better team might've taken the lead.

But given the teams we just conquered, I'll take that performance. It would've been nice if Self could've given more minutes to the bench, but gotta secure the W first.

Benjamin Clay Jones 3 years, 9 months ago

Bill voices unhappiness with his main rotational players over their defensive intensity, yet he's unwilling to replace those players in the game when their effort is lacking. So what incentive is there for them to change? Bill's problem is he doesn't trust his reserves to come in and do the job, which they are perfectly capable of doing. Svi had a breakout game a few games ago, and where has he been since? Right back on the bench. Bill is the most exasperating coach I have ever followed, and if I feel that way, imagine how players like Hunter and Svi must feel. It's maddening to watch him fail to develop his bench throughout the season, game after game, year after year, leading to yet another 2nd-round pratfall in the NCAA.

W Keith Swinehart II 3 years, 9 months ago

I agree. 14 players, 14 minutes per player, in alphabetical order.

Actually, I imagine Coach Self struggles with that problem every game, with game strategy, injuries, player slumps, changing defenses and lineups, etc, etc. I think I'd continue to let Coach do it as he determines will enable the team to win games. He has done a pretty good job so far.

Jerry Walker 3 years, 9 months ago

Here's a little perspective on KU's "pratfalls" in the NCAA tourney since we won the national championship...compared to some other blueblood programs.

KU = 21-7 record with 1 Nat. Championship and 1 Runner-up.

N. Carolina = 24-7 with 1 National Championship.

Duke = 20-6 with 2 National Championships (losing twice in the 1st round).

Alan Mills 3 years, 9 months ago

...and 8 consecutive conference titles, to go with the three before 2008!

Mike Greer 3 years, 9 months ago

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but they are not entitled to their own facts! I'm always glad to see someone put the facts up instead of just fact less opinions on how poor KU does in the tournament. Just about every team that's ever made the tournament has a bad day sooner or latter, and if you have a tournament streak as long as KU, you are bound to have more disappointment along with more success, either way, it's a hell of a lot better than sitting at home during March Madness.

Teams just don't play the same every time they hit the hardwood, how else do you explain a 46 point difference between the two times KU played OSU this year? Part of going deep in March is being on that roll where shots fall. That's how the Jayhawks won in '88 after loosing to OU in conference play twice. Let's just hope the roll is going during March and into April.

Jay Scott 3 years, 9 months ago

Facts like this make the Chicken Littles crazy.

Beate Williams 3 years, 9 months ago

It amazes me sometimes to read comments that seem to indicate that the writer is more familiar with the good and bad of all the players on the KU team. To definitively state that "...is he doesn't trust his reserves to come in and do the job, which they are perfectly capable of doing" seems to indicate that the writer spends as much time with the players as the coaches do, including the head coach, and can state with certainty that Self purposefully does not use players who could be making significant contributions to the team. It has been frustrating that as fans we expect the team to get further than the 2nd round each year in the NCAA tournament and when it doesn't happen that is Self's fault. The buck does stop with Self but I think when one considers the total body of work, KU/Self has been more successful over the years as any other college team/coach. And being around sports, particularly team sports, the coaches can only do so much, it is the players who must execute and there comes times when the players do not and when they do not if is often the coach who receives the blame. As a player, you get playing time by performing in practice, evidently those players not getting considerable playing time have not proven in practice they are ready to do the things that Self requires of them in a game and when given the opportunity in a game and they make "one" mistake and are headed back to the bench, maybe it is because they are demonstrating behaviors that are constantly evident in practice and how long do you let them continue doing the same thing in a game. I expected the team to come out flat but the fact they came out flat and still won the game by 27, with 6 players in double figures says something about how the players were used and how Self coaches.

Rae Bricil 3 years, 9 months ago

Agree with most your points and the fact that we are outsiders looking in. I do question the statement that “It has been frustrating that as fans we expect the team to get further than the 2nd round each year in the NCAA tournament and when it doesn't happen that is Self's fault.” The expectations are extremely high and that is a product of Self’s success. When you go through and win like Self has and you get #1’s and #2’s seeds going into the tournament then you expect not to lose to teams like Bradley, Bucknell or Northern Iowa ( I didn’t bring up the last two years bc Stanford was a bad match-up for KU without Embiid and WSU was the better team)—you expect Sweet 16’s. Losing to the Michigan’s or Kentucky’s isn’t great either but at least you, I think most, feel as though they lost to a high caliber team—I think it really sucks when you lose and the team you lost to gets blown out the next game by a mediocre team. Anyway my point is that expectations being high are just part of a) performing as Self has done and b) being at KU—expectations are almost high and even more so now that Self has a system where there are very few rebuilding years.

Secondly your point about “coaches can only do so much”. True but some of those losses were on Self. If you have different teams with similar results via the same method then it is on the coach—all coaches face this issue. Again I think this goes back to expectations. I think some of the teams have so much weight on their shoulders going into the tournament that the pressure to perform becomes crippling.

James Smith 3 years, 9 months ago

Is it possible that Psycho Jay is actually Bill Self? Amazing that BS does no wrong???

Joshua Tate 3 years, 9 months ago

For all of those mentioning the past two season's 2nd round exits from the tournament in reference to HCBS "coaching" inadequacies, might the early exits have more to do with the loss of key big men right before the tournament? Would we have lost those games with Embiid and Alexander in the lineup? Sometimes fate is a cruel mistress, regardless of the best laid plans. How far would Duke have made it without Okafor? Wisconsin without Kaminsky?

Armen Kurdian 3 years, 9 months ago

Don't forget how Brannen was playing hurt as well, playing WSU that was so up for this game, I picked WSU over KU in that game in my bracket for all those reasons. I do see us getting to at least the Sweet 16 this year, though.

RJ King 3 years, 9 months ago

And Perry was still kinda hurt too (at least enough to undermine his confidence in his legs) if I recall.

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 9 months ago

Bottom line - - I'll take Bill Self and his staff over any other in the country. Don't have the stats to back it up, but I wouldn't be surprised if KU has the best overall record in college basketball during his tenure at KU. If they don't, they are darn close.

Colby Hebert 3 years, 9 months ago

Even when Self was coming under fire for his tournament performance a year or two back, Kansas had the most wins in tournament play during his tenure..

James Smith 3 years, 9 months ago

You guys are "Settlers" and happy with his mediocre performance as a coach. Enjoy Big 12 Championships that mean nothing and watch Final Fours at home. His wins are because of the PHOG and his recruits are because of KU. KU made BS not the other way around.

Mike Greer 3 years, 9 months ago

Obviously you aren't familiar with coach Self's previous job success at both Illinois and the University of Tulsa. He took TU to the sweet sixteen, and TU is not a KU type of attraction. It's the smallest div 1 football school, with high academic standards, not the easiest school for recruiting. No he didn't make the KU basketball program, but he certainly brought a lot of coaching talent to the table. KU makes recruiting easier, but coach Self is a part of that success and tradition. Sure, I'd love to see the Jayhawks win every game in the tournament, but that's not hardly realistic.

Larry Smith 3 years, 9 months ago

I'll just leave this here copied from a pst above. Are all these teams "Settlers" as well? Or are losses, just part of college basketball.

KU = 21-7 record with 1 Nat. Championship and 1 Runner-up. N. Carolina = 24-7 with 1 National Championship. Duke = 20-6 with 2 National Championships (losing twice in the 1st round). Kentucky = 22-5 with 1 National Championship (twice failed to make the tourney and losing once in the 1st round).

Glen Miller 3 years, 9 months ago

Coach Self isn't perfect... sound the alarms. I understand the frustrations, because I get frustrated at our early exits, our lack of focus at times and our maddening freshmen... among other things. There are other coaches out there with the gumption and ability to coach at KU. Most would not leave where they are, because they are also at a prestigious basketball program. Some might be interested to "listen". However, I am not sure that you will find someone who will do BETTER than coach Self. We are spoiled a bit and sometimes I wonder if we are too quick to forget what Self has done for this program. He may have benefited from being the head coach at KU.... but KU has also benefitted from him being the head coach at KU.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 9 months ago

Just an aside: AW3 scored 35 points against Penn State including 6/10 from the 3-point line..

Andrew White III, Nebraska. The Big Ten’s most underrated scorer continues to put up big numbers, the latest example coming in a career-high 35-point effort vs. Penn State on Saturday. The 6-foot-7 star is averaging 17.6 points and shooting 51 percent, including 43 percent from distance. - See more at: http://btn.com/2016/02/15/player-rankings-denzel-valentine-reclaims-top-spot-this-week/#sthash.qnHLbRTD.dpuf