Sunday, February 7, 2016

Eudora’s Ballock commits to Creighton over KU, others

Eudora sophomore Mitchell Ballock knocks the ball away from Tonganoxie senior Brady Swedo (24) during the first round of the Tonganoxie Invitational Tuesday in Tonganoxie.

Eudora High basketball standout Mitchell Ballock announced Sunday night he has orally committed to play college basketball at Creighton University.

Ballock, a 6-foot-4 junior combo guard ranked No. 37 in the nation in the Class of 2017 by Rivals.com, hasn’t played this season while recovering from a torn labrum in his left shoulder. He had surgery at the end of September and hopes to return to the court by the end of the season.

He chose the Blue Jays over offers from Kansas University, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Iowa State and Indiana, among many others.

“Excited to announce that I have decided to continue my academic/basketball career @ Creighton University!” Ballock wrote on Twitter.

Ballock averaged 20 points, six rebounds and three assists for the Cardinals last year. He helped Eudora win a Class 4A-II state title during his freshman year.

“It was very difficult to tell Kansas no because they are 10 miles up the road from me, and they have a great history and great coaching staff. I have a lot of respect for those guys,” Ballock told Rivals.com on Sunday.

“I am very excited to have this process over with because it will give me the chance to just focus on playing and not worrying about where I’m going or who’s watching or any of that.”

Comments

Brian Wilson 4 years, 3 months ago

Not surprised. He is not athletic enough to be the starter at KU. Frankamp is a good example for Bullock on what happens to in state recruits. Ellis is the exception, only because Self decided to start him as a freshman and he stuck with him.. Now, he has developed. Took all 4 years. Go figure.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 3 months ago

He probably did the best thing. Ballock may be a nice player but he probably would never be able to defend Big 12 guards.

John Boyle 4 years, 3 months ago

Frankamp would probably be getting quality playing time this year on KU. Probably not a starter obviously but he would have been playing.

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 3 months ago

Not likely as his performance at Wichita State has hardly been an improvement.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 3 months ago

Reed and Morningstar both did well for KU, but I agree that Creighton is probably a better fit for the kid.

Joe Ross 4 years, 3 months ago

There was this guy I knew called Wayne Simien...

Robert Sailler 4 years, 3 months ago

I saw a game last year in Eudora and Coaches Self, Kruger, and Ford were there. They all offered scholarships. Mitchell is athletic enough to play and that's the truth.

Tom Jones 4 years, 3 months ago

"He is not athletic enough to be the starter at KU."

I stopped there.

Pius Waldman 4 years, 3 months ago

Now an injured Junior so hard to evaluate his potential. By the time his senior year gets here might be rated much higher. This is only a commitment so sometimes they change before final decision is made. The duo that want to play together might be a factor for KU.

Joe Joseph 4 years, 3 months ago

Brian,

Ellis came off the bench his freshman year. It's also hard to say it took him four years to develop when he averaged 13 ppg as a sophomore. Perry has been a fine player for the duration of his Kansas career. Heaven forbid it take a kid a few years to become an All-American (which Perry projects to be).

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 3 months ago

We've been recruiting this kid for two years...he must know that he wasn't KU ready. He should do good at Creighton..good program and far less pressure.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 3 months ago

Big fish, small pond syndrome. Still, hope he does well and gets a good educastion.

John Boyle 4 years, 3 months ago

I sure hope you misspelled education on purpose.

Dave Harris 4 years, 3 months ago

Oh, great! Now NONE of our coaches are winning in-state recruiting battles.

These guys and Zenger should definitely go immediately.

Add Creighton to Clemson and North Dakota State who killed us in recruiting this year!!

Editors note: typed in sarcasm font.

Rock Chalk!

Lance Cheney 4 years, 3 months ago

The basketball team should've went after the Mill Valley kid since the football team didn't.

Robert Brock 4 years, 3 months ago

KU is recruiting Troy Brown and Gary Trent from that class. 'Nuff said.

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 4 years, 3 months ago

Good luck Mitchell. Would have liked to see you in a Jayhawk uniform, but respect your decision.

Harlan Hobbs 4 years, 3 months ago

I vote with Tony and the two Joes. Sounds like a pretty good rock and roll group to me! OK, I know that I am showing my age, but as they say, better to be over the hill than under the hill.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 3 months ago

If you are going to site a rock and roll group from the poster, you really need to add...BRIAN WILSON!

Surf's up dude.

Waylon Cook 4 years, 3 months ago

Sad. Probably more athletic than Reed and Morningstar. Those guys are what the past several teams have been missing. Did his knee injury change his game?

Robert Sailler 4 years, 3 months ago

Shoulder surgery on his left shoulder. Knees are fine. He might be ready to play later this month.

Steve Jacob 4 years, 3 months ago

A fine university. Good size city, good conference that is in a lot of northeast TV markets, news reports in Omaha seems to be excited about getting a "4 star" recruit. Plus we don't know how healthy he is, Creighton should be more patient with him.

Matt Bowers 4 years, 3 months ago

Congratulations Mitchell!!! You get to do what most players dream of and that is get a full ride playing basketball and you had a ton of offers. I hope you enjoy your career up the road in Creighton.

David Robinett 4 years, 3 months ago

Got that former coach's son to the NBA so a good formula. McDermott.

Harlan Hobbs 4 years, 3 months ago

Suzi, you are right. I completely missed Brian Wilson's lead off. Nothing like the Beach Boys.

Jim Baker 4 years, 3 months ago

I went to high school with this guy named Jankovich...

Austin Lopez 4 years, 3 months ago

He wouldnt be my first choice of recruits in the 2017 class if I was Bill Self, highly doubt Bill Self made him a priority anyways so no big lose our way.....

Philip Bowman 4 years, 3 months ago

"should do good" and "should've went after"

I can only hope these examples by posters didn't come from KU grads.