Thursday, February 4, 2016

Bill Self: Brannen Greene ‘disrespectful’ of K-State in closing seconds

Kansas guard Brannen Greene watches his three from the corner go in as he is fouled by Kansas State guard Brian Rohleder (33) with second remaining in the first half on Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2016 at Allen Fieldhouse. Greene hit the free throw to complete the four-point play.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self was livid that junior Brannen Greene dunked the ball — with no Kansas State players playing defense and the rest of the Jayhawks merely letting the clock run out — in the closing seconds of Wednesday's game in Allen Fieldhouse.

“Brannen Greene ... we’ve put up with him doing some stuff in the past, but that was probably the biggest (bleep) move I’ve ever had a player do during a game,” Self said after KU’s 77-59 win over the Wildcats.

“To dunk the ball like that when the other team — even their players are going, ‘How disrespectful to the game.’ It certainly showed unbelievably poor sportsmanship. I apologize to K-State and their players. I guarantee that will never happen again or he will never be in the game at the end of the game.”

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self apologizes to K-State before taking questions

Before Kansas basketball coach Bill Self fielded questions from the media after the Jayhawks' win over Kansas State, he apologized to KU's rivals for Brannen Greene's last-second basket in a 77-59 win.

Download podcast

Of Greene, whose three-pointer and foul shot concluded the first-half scoring, Self added: “It was totally classless. I guarantee it will never happen again.”

Asked about the play, K-State coach Bruce Weber said: “That’s up to them. That’s their dealing.”

Asked if he would punish Greene, Self said, “I don’t know. He’s not my favorite though, right now.”

— See what people were saying about the Sunflower Showdown during KUsports.com’s live coverage.

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Kansas State

By the Numbers: Kansas beats K-State, 77-59

By the Numbers: Kansas beats K-State, 77-59

Comments

Mike Riches 3 years, 2 months ago

Self is right, that was totally classless. It's something I might expect to see at the end of a KU/K-State game, but not from the Jayhawks...

Benz Junque 3 years, 2 months ago

The problem is that Self's response was as classless and immature as Greene's dunk. Way to lead by example, Coach.

Vernon Riggs 3 years, 2 months ago

Bill Self has 99 things to worry about...Greene is just number 78.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 2 months ago

KSU deserves to be disrespected after the crap they pulled in Bramlage last year.

Bryce Landon 3 years, 2 months ago

And after what their band did at halftime of their first football game of the year...

Joe Joseph 3 years, 2 months ago

Poor sportsmanship, sure. I'd expect no less of a reaction from Bill Self.

Squeaky's reaction is pretty typical of him also. He has an opportunity to completely bury the issue (because who really gives a rat's, and, also, that's what Squeaks does..."bury" things), but he makes some passive aggressive remark about it instead. Good coaches don't get offended by such things because they realize the real offensive thing is getting blown out to the point where there's no need to guard anybody the last ten seconds of the game.

Seriously, Bruce Webber is awful.

Jay Scott 3 years, 2 months ago

Webber may not have to endure many more Allen Fieldhouse visits.....

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

Hopefully so - I can't take much more of his jaw dropped incredulous face he makes at every call that goes against his team.

Severeno Woods 3 years, 2 months ago

Complete over reaction by Bill Self. Terrible job by a coach to throw a player under the bus. Yes the dunk was meaningless, but there was no show boating or gloating at the end. I'm disgusted by Coach Self reaction. Everything that has happen at KSU with Bruce Weber and other coaches move on Bill Self.

Bud Stagg 3 years, 2 months ago

disgusted? Pretty strong word. I think Green is a moron. bitches about playing time and was suspended for it. He is one of the worst defenders on the team. He is one-dimensional. He plays stupid and acts stupid. I think Bill took the opportunity to once again, knock him down several notches, He acts very cocky for a player that is just not that good, except for the 3 ball.

Benz Junque 3 years, 2 months ago

Yes, DISGUSTED. If what Bill Self wants is for Kansas basketball to be seen as classy and mature and respectful of the game then a profanity laced tirade probably isn't the way to go.

That's like having Bob Knight complain that players are not being disciplined on the court right after he gets ejected for throwing a chair at a referee.

Pot, meet kettle. Teams model themselves after their leaders and Self and Mason have shown poor decision making and self control this season. Their struggles are not surprisingly POOR DECISION MAKING and SELF CONTROL.

Henry Joseph Hofmeister 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree completely. K-State could've played until the end. They were just standing around, walking off the court. A lot of games come down to the final seconds. Let him up his stats if the other team doesn't care.

Eric TheCapn 3 years, 2 months ago

You just proved Coach Self's point perfectly, Henry. All he cared about was stats. When that's what you care about, you're acting selfishly. Acting selfishly makes you a bad teammate.

As a fan, this type of thing embarrasses me. You knock someone to the floor, even someone who's a total jerk most of the time, he admits defeat, and them you kick kick him in the guy, despite your buddies, to make yourself feel better?

Standing there and holding the ball is not only classier, we have the Rock Chalk chant; them waving the white flag and hearing the chant has gotta hurt. Now they get the last laugh (and more emotional fuel for next time) by watching Greene embarrass the KU basketball program and its fans by being greedy.

MaryAnn Caldwell 3 years, 2 months ago

I watched the game and my thought was Greene was just going in to dunk as they do during pre-game warmup. AND, Mason passed the ball to him!

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

Kansas State was down by 16 with 7 seconds left Henry. Should they have tried to extend the game by fouling?

I've been watching basketball for longer than I care to admit but once the game is mathematically over and the winning team has the ball, usually they just let the final seconds run off. Maybe Greene was reacting to the dunk one of the KState players made on their last possession but with ball in hand on the last possession of the game - just let the clock run out.

I think HCBS might have overreacted to play because of who it was but still, it's poor sportsmanship to try to pad your stats when the defense is walking off the court.

Lonnie Ross Dillon 3 years, 2 months ago

Apparently you weren't watching when the other 4 Jayhawks on the court stopped playing and tied to dribble out the clock. That was when the defense backed off. The game was over, and BG was in fact showboating. Total bush league move.

Lot's of folks here are justifying it because of what their fans did at Bramlage last year. Really? We should drop to their level? We've always been classier than that (or most of us anyway)...

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

Apparently you completely missed the point of my post which is that it is unnecessary to continue to play 100% until the final horn is sounded. Teams down by double digits with under 10 seconds to play usually let the other team dribble the ball down to 00.00.

I also didn't justify anything that Greene did, "it's poor sportsmanship to try to pad your stats when the defense is walking off the court.".

And as far as your second paragraph states

"Lot's of folks here are justifying it because of what their fans did at Bramlage last year. Really? We should drop to their level? We've always been classier than that (or most of us anyway)."

I never mentioned anything about what happened at Kansas State last year. I really hope your math skills were able to make up for your lack of reading comprehension if you took the SAT. CLASSY? I don't think so.

Jerry Walker 3 years, 2 months ago

Coach Self was correct in his assessment of Greene's dunk...classless.

In the scope of the outcome it was meaningless. But in reality it sheds more light on why Greene continually gets himself in the doghouse...poor decision making both on and off-court.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't disagree Jerry but I think seeing the Jayhawks turn the ball over twice trying to inbound the ball was probably the reason Self wasn't happy and Greene unfortunately made himself an easy target.

Bryce Landon 3 years, 2 months ago

I have mixed feelings about Greene's dunk and Self's reaction. The dunk was definitely unnecessary and showed, once again, Greene's low level of maturity for a college junior. Self, however, doesn't need to go out of his way to apologize to K-$tate for it. Not after the half-hearted, self-glorifying apologies that came from Jon Currie's piehole after the violent court-storming at Bramlage Coliseum last year and after the K-$tate band created the image of a Jayhawk perfoming a B.J. at their season-opening football game. You wanna talk about a **** move...

Mike Tackett 3 years, 2 months ago

Lack of class on their part, does not justify lack of class on our part.

Andy Hess 3 years, 2 months ago

some of you really need to get over yourselves. it's not like he dropped his pants or gave them the finger. it was just a dunk. and it was not even really that emphatic either. i don't see any need for an apology.

Mike Taylor 3 years, 2 months ago

I too also agree that the Dunk was classless but Self needs to relax. First off were talking about K-State who in the last few years have been the flat out image of disrespect when it come to the us. Does Greene need to grow up..absolutely and if he doesn't Svi will QUICKLY replace him on consistent quality minutes. but at the end of the day, Bill Self relax man. It was a simple dunk...he didn't hang on the rim, he didn't showboat around on the court, he didn't flip a middle finger at the K-State bench it was just a dunk. RELAX!!! I agree with Vernon. Bill Self has 99 problems....2 of those problems is next weeks games against West Virginia and Oklahoma...stress over that!!!

Keith Gellar 3 years, 2 months ago

Greene continue to be Greene! he's one of my least fav players! he reminds me of the morrii, except he doesn't contribute as much as they did.

Regarding the classless dunk, the big differentiator is this classless move was by a KU player vs. most of KSU's transgressions have been by their fans. Granted the KSU AD/management response was pathetic but there's a big difference. oh well, water under the bridge.

Doug Longstaff 3 years, 2 months ago

I tell you what's disrespectful to the game. Walking off the court before the game is even over. Is it asking these pampered brats too much to play every minute of the game? I understand the code of the game, but it's a dumb code.

If I were Basketball Czar for a day, I would create a new code that includes something to the effect of, "if you stop playing with time left to play because you are hopelessly down, then a technical foul shall be assessed on the WINNING team if they DON'T execute a humiliating dunk on you in the last 10 seconds."

Hard to understand why the guy who didn't quit in the game is the bad guy, here. I'll remember this every time a baseball team up 8 in the 9th doesn't tell their players to go up and strike out, because it would be poor sportsmanship to keep playing until the end.

Kit Duncan 3 years, 2 months ago

There's a big difference between basketball and baseball. It's called a clock. In baseball the game is NEVER over until the last out. Just ask the World Champion Royals. In basketball often the clock running down to zero makes it statistically impossible to have enough possessions for a losing team to come from behind.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

So I'll ask you the same question that I asked Henry Doug. Should KState have fouled Greene and continue trying to stretch out the amount of possessions still possible down by 16?

I'm pretty sure that if the situation had been reversed, the majority of those saying "play every minute of the game" would have been talking about the classless act by Kansas State. Even when the walk ons are on the court at the end of the game, they would not have taken that shot to pad their limited stats.

Lonnie Ross Dillon 3 years, 2 months ago

Why expect them to play defense when we had already stopped playing offense? Mason was dribbling put the clock like we've done in every win this season that didn't go to the wire. It's called sportsmanship. That is until Greene asked for the ball...

Kent Richardson 3 years, 2 months ago

What is more telling? Greene's thoughtless play or Self's reaction?

We won by double digits but Self saw the same game we did. I think Self sees this season ending badly and there is nothing he can do about it.

The unnecessary dunk is Greene being Greene. Pissed about playing well in the first half and not getting any in the second. Mop up duty and living in Brannenland.

Self wanted to do something but what he tried did not get the desired results. Did what the veterans wanted after the player's only. Fizz-dud.

Now he has played a bit of Z*** and won. Played Svi and Greene and won. What's up next.?

Cameron Schienebeck 3 years, 2 months ago

I bet Greene will be "transferring" at the end of this year

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

Transferring was the best possible move for AW3 who still has another year to play, for Greene, it is a completely different situation. Having to wait a year to play a year, he would need to consider making a huge transition to a team that he could start on from day 1.

For Svi and maybe all the freshmen, it's an option they should look at... If Self isn't committed in developing them, time to go i.e. AW3

David Friend 3 years, 2 months ago

This is a none issue. Maybe a few extra laps for Greene.. Self left most of the starters in till the end.. The game was 15-17 points the last three minutes. You could say Self was rubbing in in (he wasn't). Just not a big deal.

Justin Martin 3 years, 2 months ago

I totally disagree, that's not how sports are played. I can tell you were never properly coached growing up.

David Friend 3 years, 2 months ago

I was coached a lot more than you would ever know and my coaches would of done the same thing.. Made me run laps and it would be over. Point would be made. My coaches would of emptied the bench with two minutes to go and a 16 point lead.

Pius Waldman 3 years, 2 months ago

Greene probably because of past lack of playing time just didn't give attention to how to end the game. BUT the reaction of Coach Self to put one of his players under the bus should have been handled in a private matter. His reaction took away the thrill of a victory.

Bill Kackley 3 years, 2 months ago

I can see many of you have never been a coach. As a former coach, my reaction to Greene' shooting the ball, little lone dunking it was, "that's a bunch of bull crap". In the scheme of the game it doesn't mean anything but from the stand point of class, it stunk. You say "well K-state did this or that", pointing out their lack of class and then you turn around and, like a bunch of 8 year olds, say "well, if K-state student body can do this or that, why can't the young men representing our university on a national stage, do something as classless as Brandon Greene did. I have continually pointed out his good points to my son as he rails on about Greene's faults but no more. If you weren't embarrassed by his lack of class, representing KU, as I am sure Bill Self was, along with most of his players, you are not my kind of Jayhawk.

MaryAnn Caldwell 3 years, 2 months ago

And you're the "decider" of who's a Jayhawk?

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm sure many of us lay awake at night lamenting the fact that we are not Bill Malarkey's kind of Jayhawk.

Marty Clark 3 years, 2 months ago

A college kid dunked the ball at the end of the game. Sorry, not a big deal to me. Somebody on this team needs to get some fire going, or once again I am afraid it will be an early exit from the NCAA tournament.

Justin Martin 3 years, 2 months ago

The KSU players were walking off the court, it's extremely bad sportsmanship.

Glen Miller 3 years, 2 months ago

We were up a significant amount of points. It was the end of the game. Their team was not guarding us and walking off the court. It was completely classless and uncalled for..... but I guess sportsmanship doesn't mean much to you.

Marty Clark 3 years, 2 months ago

Coach Self said Greene "disrespected" KSU. Do you respect KSU? I could care less if KSU was "disrespected" and I hope they never win another basketball game, ever. This needs put to rest. KU has TT on Saturday.

Glen Miller 3 years, 2 months ago

Just because K-State was classless and may have "deserved" the dunk. That does not mean that Greene was wise to do it. That's like saying "he did it first" or "well remember when they did this to us". Very childish and not something I would expect from our program. In the scope of things, it's not like he broke a law or did something that is going to cause league wide panic. However, there was no use for that play. There was nothing to gain from that play. And Greene did himself more harm than good by doing that. It was a boneheaded play and goes to show why this kid is constantly in the dog house. I did not like it and screamed at the TV when it happened. That being said, I think coach Self could have toned it down a bit in his assessment and not just driven the kid deep into the ground and made him look like the most awful person on the planet.

Justin Martin 3 years, 2 months ago

It just shows how immature Greene still is which leads me to think that's why he's still completely a one dimensional player and hasn't really improved a whole lot. He doesn't think.

Pius Waldman 3 years, 2 months ago

My opinion is based on the reaction of Coach Self. After getting a 6 game ban for wanting to get more playing time which was extremely harsh I feel he could have handled this in a more private manner. Yes he shouldn't have done that at the end of the game. But to give much attention during a post game interview shows disrespect to a player that made a mistake. I'm curious suppose another player maybe Traylor had done that wonder what his reaction might have been.

Justin Martin 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm sure it would have been the same, I certainly would have had the same reaction now matter who did it. As far as the disrespect to Greene, well just......LOL, this kid has proven over and over to be immature, so treat him like it.

Gerry Butler 3 years, 2 months ago

So now we are justifying Brannen's action's with WELL it's no worse then what K-State has done? are you SERIOUS? total classless. What was the purpose? All the other KU players around mid court, game was over. Did we need the points? ummm no. You dribble the game out. Good player, but head is not on straight. If your going to try and justify his actions with well they did this, they deserve it?It's called respect, ethics. You wanna lower our standards to -K-States? Brannen just did

Barry Weiss 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Coach on this one. KU is a program with class, you just don't do this. Greene has watched countless games where our starters or bench all hold the ball under 24 when the game is over. Has anyone heard if Greene has commented about why he did this?

Martin Rosenblum 3 years, 2 months ago

Wasn't there a similar incident in Ames a few years back? Seems like an ISU player did something that was comparable to this. Anybody recall the reactions on both sides to that?

Bryce Landon 3 years, 2 months ago

Elijah Johnson dunked in Hilton Coliseum in the final seconds of a 2013 overtime win over the Cyclones. The fans reacted angrily by throwing debris at the players, sending them racist Tweets and death threats, and, in the case of one booster, trying to go fisticuffs with Bill Self.

Jeff Foster 3 years, 2 months ago

In all honesty, he should have dunked it harder, more emphatically, then done the Cam Newton/Superman shirt rip, maybe a crotch grab or something. I mean, commit to it and do it right for crying out loud. The dunk may not have been a big deal to some of you, but for the gamblers, the spread is everything and maybe he was just doing his part to help/hurt the bookies out there. #rockchalk

Glen Miller 3 years, 2 months ago

The spread was 12.... we already had that covered.

Severeno Woods 3 years, 2 months ago

Say what you want, but this hurts Kansas in recruiting. This is a situation that needed to be handle behind closed doors and not to publicly shame a player. Players now days have big egos and handle things like this much better behind closed doors. If Greene went full Cam Netwon on KSU, then yes publicly shame his butt. Coach Self lost complete control of himself and he is just as wrong. Hell even have Greene call Coach Webb and apologize personally.

Tom Jones 3 years, 2 months ago

"Say what you want, but this hurts Kansas in recruiting."

I want to say that this will have zero impact on recruiting.

Joe Ross 3 years, 2 months ago

This will not hurt recruiting one bit. Not one iota.

Michael Lorraine 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree with coach and I'm glad he called out his own player. Can't use last year's incident as an excuse but Bill showed more class last night than all of KSU did last year.

Armen Kurdian 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't agree w/Coach on this. It was a dunk at the end of the game with the home crowd against our biggest rival. And it is nowhere near as bad as some of the crap that previous players have done, such as Elijah Johnson sucker punching a Michigan player in the jimmy, something that really cost us the game in the Sweet 16. I think Brannen has been playing better, working on other parts of his game besides just shooting. Coach gets to set the rules, fine. And yes, this is nothing compared to the insanity at Bramlage last year that KSU barely got tapped on the wrist for.

Kit Duncan 3 years, 2 months ago

Though a stupid move, Elijah was repaying Mitch McGary for the cheap shot he administered to Elijah on a previous offensive screen. It was difficult to see but if you watch the replay of that game you'll see McGary face Elijah on a screen with his fists together at crotch level. When Elijah comes into contact with him McGary brings his fists upward into Elijah's privates, pretty much taking him out of the play. It's often the player who retaliates that gets the foul called.

Tom Jones 3 years, 2 months ago

The "cheap shot" was difficult to see because it never happened. Yes, McGary set a screen that Johnson ran into but Johnson did not react in the slightest because it was a perfectly legal screen and a non-event.

Johnson made a huge mistake with the nut punch and should have been thrown out of the game. With all of the mistakes he made down the stretch blowing a sure KU win, including missing the game clinching FT, any KU fan should wish he had been thrown out.

Bryce Landon 3 years, 2 months ago

Those Michigan players were flopping all game long. The scUM player flopped to make it look like he'd been hit "downstairs"/

Kit Duncan 3 years, 2 months ago

Agree. Trey Burke's tying 3pt shot in regulation should have been called off for either Elijah's "foul" of McGary or for McGary's illegal screen and flop. Any other time in the game and the refs would have stopped play for that collision.

Tom Jones 3 years, 2 months ago

They will never call a foul on a screen in that situation at the end. So no, Burke's shot should not have been "called off".

Chandler Accipiter 3 years, 2 months ago

What about Landon's technical? Was Self asked about that? I get that this team doesn't help opposing players off the floor, which I personally find odd in terms of sportsmanship, but I don't think standing over them and purposely not allowing them up is the classiest move. I'm sure it will be viewed as tough and defending his teammates, and his reward will be another start. No mixed messages there.

Kit Duncan 3 years, 2 months ago

It was Elijah Johnson who dunked the ball in an overtime win over ISU (in Ames), when the game was in hand. Although Elijah had a career night (39 pts), he caught a lot of flak for the dunk with clock running down and KU ahead 106-96.

The difference is, Elijah apologized to Coach Hoiberg and his team during post game interviews.

Chandler Accipiter 3 years, 2 months ago

Elijah also did the same thing his freshman year early in the season.

Joe Ross 3 years, 2 months ago

Elijah was given an opportunity to apologize. Brannen was not.

Tom Jones 3 years, 2 months ago

Players don't generally get a mic after playing a small role in a game. EJ had a monster game and thus had the ability to apologize right away.

I don't do Twitter but I assume Brannen does. Has he apologized on there?

I guess my point is that everyone is "given an opportunity" to apologize these days on the interwebs.

Joe Ross 3 years, 2 months ago

No go.

Firstly, I understand fully that Brannen was not going to get the mic because of his stat line. My point is not that he should have solely for the sake of apologizing, but that the situation being what it was, not having that opportunity prevented this from being handled and perceived in a very different way. EJ's apology appeased ISU fans only after it was given, but there was still a space of time between the end of the game and the start of the post-game presser--the few minutes that it was--where fans were so angered by it that one of them nearly attacked HCBS.

And that's taking for granted that you care about the opposing fans' response. In light of KSU's antics from the fans to the band to the AD, there is little case to be made that Kansas should care at all. The coach who called Greene's antics "classless" nearly got himself trampled by these same classless fans at this point in the Earth's rotation a year ago.

More to the point, a tweet takes a bit longer to make the news cycle and almost does it as a footnote. "Morer" to the point than that, this incident should never have called for this level of public scrutiny in the first place. Kit's point above rests on the fact that DIFFERENCE WAS EJ apologized to Hoiberg and ISU after the game...in the post-game interviews. Not in tweets. In the interviews. That was his point. EJ could have tweeted an apology, but did so in the post-game and Kit hangs his hat on this being the difference. It is totally appropriate to mention that opportunity was not available to Brannen.

Tom Jones 3 years, 2 months ago

News doesn't work like that anymore. If BG had tweeted right after the game taking full responsibility, he wouldn't have caught nearly as much grief.

I actually agreed with Kit's post. EJ apologized right after it happened. BG should have done the same, but since he wasn't given a mic, he would have had to take the internet route.

I agree with you that the whole thing didn't deserve the scrutiny it got. Said scrutiny would have also been greatly reduced with a public mea culpa post game.

Danny Hernandez 3 years, 2 months ago

Coach Self needs to worry about WV and OU next week, getting his guards to learn to stay in front of their man, not getting a 12th Big 12 Season Title and getting a 5 Star PG.

I could care less that Greene dunked. I say good! I'm tired of teams being so nice and playing by the rules bs. How about playing angry and stomping a team till they can't take it anymore. Teams used to fear Kansas and seems the OSU and KSU's don't anymore.

Chris Warman 3 years, 2 months ago

Classless? Sure. Stupid? Sure. But really a none issue, I doubt the K-State fans were still watching at that point. Coach should tell Green not to do that again and move on, for the dunk affected nothing. Nice win, get better, win the next game and so on.

Robert Brock 3 years, 2 months ago

This is just another episode of BRANNEN GREENE: THE DUCK WHO FLEW NORTH FOR THE WINTER. Stay tuned.

Joe Ross 3 years, 2 months ago

Anyone remember what happened on February 25th, 2013? About three years ago a similar incident happened, only the setting was Hilton Coliseum. Elijah Johnson had just scored 39 points--to my knowledge the highest ever in the Coach Self era.

Iowa State fans were angered. This is the game that a man charged Coach Self after the game and students, not impressed with Elijah Johnson, used racial epithets in describing him. There is a famous photo of Bill Self cradling Johnsons face after the game, and Elijah has his head bowed.

While it is true that Johnson apologized to the ISU fans at the post-game presser (and Im sure Coach Self had something to do about that), Coach never publicly called Johnson's antics classless nor did he apologize to ISU. Someone be quick to correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Kansas State has done much worse to Kansas over the years. Chickens on courts, bands depicting the Jayhawks performing fellatio, rushing the court last year placing our players and coach in danger, and so on. If you want to talk "classless" in the KU-KSU series, the Wildcats wrote the book.

Brannen has some work to do, but I wouldnt criticize our own disproportionately. If what Brannen did was classless (and maybe it was), someone PLEASE give me a word to describe Kansas States halftime show in their football opener--when KANSAS wasnt even playing them!!! You remember the non-apology apology by the AD? No frickin' way I'd apologize to Kansas State. Even if Brannen shouldn't have done it. No frickin' way...

Joe Ross 3 years, 2 months ago

Thank you for the audio link. Coach's comments:

"...it was wrong what he did at the end (making the uncontested dunk). He shouldn't have done that; but you know...he's emotional...he's absolutely special."

A very different tone between Elijah and Brannen. Nothing mentioned about Elijah being "disrespectful" and more importantly there was certainly no apology issued to ISU.

Tim Gershon 3 years, 2 months ago

Thank you Joe! I was thinking about that as soon as I read Self's comments. In my opinion, Self's act of throwing Greene under the bus publicly and calling him classless is worse than a dunk at the end of the game.

Joe Ross 3 years, 2 months ago

I think I agree. Coach could have said, "It was not the right thing to do, but we'll handle it in-house." No rules were broken at all. Sounds like Coach is boiling over from other incidents, but one thing is sure: his reaction to Greene is not at all like the reaction to EJ, and they did the same damn thing.

Tom Jones 3 years, 2 months ago

I think this was as close as he got: "Should Phil Forte have laid it up when Oklahoma State beat us at the end? I mean that happens sometimes, but it was wrong," Self said about Johnson's late dunk.

Chad Smith 3 years, 2 months ago

After the smoke clears on this one:

1) no reason to dunk the ball. Give me one legitimate reason related to the outcome for the team. We had possession with 10 seconds left and a 16 point lead. The game is over at that point, both teams know it.

2) Self needs to keep that stuff in the locker room. Greene will get his punishment and we need to move on. Why Self is discussing this publicly and blasting his teams effort after a 16(18) point win is curious to me. I know he's a straightforward guy in a lot of press conferences, but right now our team needs confidence and positivity. We're heading towards the stretch run now. I liked he injected more players into the game. It gave us different energies and helped up the tempo. All that said, this leads to my final point ...

3) Self has the least amount of control and respect from this team versus any other team during his tenure here. And it shows. It shows in lethargy, sloppiness, defensive breakdowns, aggressivenss, and smart play. I just have never seen a KU team this scrambled and non-unified. Quite frankly it's weird.

4) there's still lots of potential for this team this season.

Chandler Accipiter 3 years, 2 months ago

So Self was cool with Brannen's 3/4 length of the floor shot at the buzzer in OT of the Kentucky game? Why, because it didn't go in? What if it did? Would that have tainted the game and caused a media firestorm? Did that disrespect UK, since there was no need for a desperation heave?

Bill Kackley 3 years, 2 months ago

We need to keep it KANSAS vs k-state. Let silo tech sling the mud but let us rise above the fray.

Jared Reeves 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't agree with what Greene did, but I would like to see HCBS this fired up publicly about things that are a lot consequential to this teams' success.

Bert White 3 years, 2 months ago

Was it disrespectful or poor sportsmanship? 100% yes... But than when you look at it as how many times have we said the past few seasons "we just stop playing when we have a lead"... The game isn't over until the horn goes off so it's hard for me to get too mad at Greene for doing what he's suppose to do, SCORE AND PLAY HARD DURING THE GAME. Hell I've seen Evan Manning and Tyler Self take shots when they could have ran the shot clock out. Players that rarely get minutes want to play and score, it's not Greene's fault the K-State players decided to give up before the game officially ended.

Mark Soeken 3 years, 2 months ago

Absolutely! What is wrong with a little enthusiasm?

William Dostert 3 years, 2 months ago

I have watched it a few times and I really don't think he was doing it in s disrespectful way. Still needs to run some laps. He just doesn't think. The way he did it reminds me of a guy just having fun.

Chandler Accipiter 3 years, 2 months ago

Did Devonte get an assist on Brannen's dunk? He should, because without his pass, the dunk would not have even been possible.

When Self asks for the players to show their personality he should probably be careful.

Barry Weiss 3 years, 2 months ago

I got no beef with Coach Self calling him out. ALL of our players know the drill with under 24 seconds and the game put away. It was a break from Coach's order to do this. It was a break from what the other players do. Greene put his own reason(s), whatever they were) above the Coach and team and for that he should be called out. Some call this bulletin board material, etc. All teams follow that code typically. It just was not necessary and he stuck it in the face of our Coach and team. I could care less about sticking in the face of K-state. Bench him for Saturday, but bring him back next week when we WILL need him.

John Boyle 3 years, 2 months ago

With the way this team plays, it will need Brannen to play at TCU. This is not a guaranteed win in any way shape or form and Brannen does add a lot to this team with the way he stretches the opposing teams defense.

Bud Stagg 3 years, 2 months ago

I think HCBS did this to send a message to the Green that he will no longer "keep it in the locker room" because that is not working anymore. I agree that this team is lacking in intensity and focus. I think coach is done chewing tail in private on some issues.

Green has had a million chances, he blows the opportunity most times. If you truly watch the games, whenever there is a wide open shot for the other team and Green is on the floor, it's his man. Offense is only half the game.

We are Kansas Basketball, I'd like to think we are classy good, not classless good.

Joe Ross 3 years, 2 months ago

...let's take care of the "good" part before we start adding class modifiers.

Andrew Holmes 3 years, 2 months ago

My biggest issue with the dunk is Brannen's timing. All he has to do is wait a few more seconds and this is a nonissue. He'd have dunked after the horn and not caused this wave of frustration. Timing is everything.

Jay Hawk 3 years, 2 months ago

I have coached Jr. High basketball for years and every one of my players knows not to shoot the ball in a situation like that. Granted if they did shoot it the ball would probably not go in but they all know sportsmanship. Greene is the same guy that threw his gum up in the stands before a home game in Allen Fieldhouse after his shoot around last year. Yes he can shoot the ball but I’d rather not see stuff like this on MSN or ESPN with the word KANSAS across his chest.

Linda Peschka 3 years, 2 months ago

This is Duane and not Linda. I played basketball at all levels, Grade and High school, College and AAU, and never did any player on any team ever do the act that Greene did. It only shows the kind of person he is. From the beginning, I thought he was not a good fit for KU. He totally, totally lacks playing any resemblance to Defense. His guarded player could score at anytime. Basketball is not just a one dimensional game and for Greene and a few other KU players it definitely appears as such. To me the real question or concern is, What was he thinking in doing such a play? To all the comments that address the issue to be kept in the locker room, the act was not in the locker room but on National TV. For all of you complaining it was OK do to because of what has happened in other sports events at KSU, keep this in mind, " A GRAIN OF SAND DOES NOT MAKE A SUMMER". Your integrity should not be dictated by others.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

What a rare and valuable talent you have Duane and not Linda. From one play, you can tell what type of person he is. Seems you have a slightly biased opinion since you 'never thought he was not a good fit at KU' right from the start.

"Basketball is not just a one dimensional game and for Greene and a few other KU players it definitely appears as such."

What exactly do you mean by a 'one dimensional game? And please name the other players who also play a 'one dimensional game.

"A GRAIN OF SAND DOES NOT MAKE A SUMMER"

Brilliant! Words to live by. Wish I had known this sooner.

TO see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, And eternity in an hour.

Jay Hawk 3 years, 2 months ago

It only took me seeing him throw his gum up in the stands of A.F.

I'm just guessing that a "one dimensional game" comment means is that he is all about shooting. Watch a video of him from high school it is over 8 minutes. Man can he shoot, but not a single assist and only two blocks. His range is crazy.

Yonatan Negash 3 years, 2 months ago

Wait...this team hasn't played well since the Oklahoma game, already lost three conference games not to mention the team looks lost and we're here talking about a freaking "dunk".

Are you kidding me right now. Can we please focus on getting this team to play better.

Obviously, BS has some serious issues with Brannen Greene. I mean, considering all the issues/[problems this team has, no way a dunk should be the lead story.

No, I don't think so, there is more to this than just a dunk. The issue with BS and Brannen Greene is much deeper than just a dunk.

Mark Soeken 3 years, 2 months ago

Bad decision..maybe. Overreaction by HCBS....his choice. I don't have a problem with it because this team has shown too little emotion all season, except for the OU game. If HCBS thinks it is bad sportsmanship, then are we suppose to judge his temper tantrums?? Would he be critical if Perry had done it? I wish more of the players would kick it up a notch and push the envelope more often! Maybe HCBS should look at his lineup a little closer and see who is getting it done with the rock!

Ashwin Rao 3 years, 2 months ago

You hit great points. We don't want PC kids, we want kids with some character & pride. It is for Coach to do his PC thing, but not run over the players... I am not impressed.

Robert Robinson 3 years, 2 months ago

Am I the only one that hasn't like greene from the start? Did anyone expect anything less? At the same time though, this is basketball. The point of the game is to put points on the board. The game wasn't over. It's not his fault ksu quit. He fought till the end. I'm not saying it's right but I don't think it's wrong. Was it pointless? Maybe. But the clock hadn't hit 0. Maybe ksu shouldo get a participation trophy

Michael Lorraine 3 years, 2 months ago

I think Bill regrets his comments and even though I agree with him in principal I think it would have been better had he reprimanded Brannen in private but still make a public apology.

Kit Duncan 3 years, 2 months ago

No coach wants locker room material provided for opposing teams especially in the closing seconds of a game that has been decided. Landon's trash talking may already have been assured of making the KSU locker room bulletin board, but Brannen's lapse in judgement is guaranteed to be top of the list.

If KU had already played in Bramlage this season it might not have been as big, but KU still has to go to Manhattan. Kansas didn't need to provide any extra incentive to K-State and their fans to make the trip any more difficult.

Benz Junque 3 years, 2 months ago

EVERY single basket of Tyler Self's college basketball career has come at the end of garbage time. Were those classless, coach?