Kansas defeats Kansas State, 77-59

• 8 p.m., Feb. 3, 2016
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Svi Mykhailiuk sparks Jayhawks in rivalry win

Kansas guard Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (10) heads up to the bucket against Kansas State forward Stephen Hurt (41) and guard Justin Edwards (14) during the second half on Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2016 at Allen Fieldhouse.

After playing just one solitary minute in the last three games, Svi Mykhailiuk was more than ready for action on Wednesday in Allen Fieldhouse.

The 6-foot-8 sophomore from Cherkasy, Ukraine scored 10 points off 4-of-7 shooting and had four assists, three steals and one turnover — providing a needed spark in Kansas University’s 77-59 victory over Kansas State.

“Svi was as good defensively as any of our guards today,” KU coach Bill Self said, explaining that he went with Mykhailiuk off the bench because of his recent stellar play at practice.

“I think the last two days in practice he looked more confident and he is a better perimeter defender,” Self said. “We could have gone with Lagerald (Vick). I told our guys (assistants), ‘Svi is shooting the heck out of the ball. Let’s see if we can get him in there.’ He played with more confidence.”

The only thing Mykhailiuk didn’t do well in his 21-minute stint was sink threes.

He cashed one of four. But he was pivotal in a 16-4 run that turned a 16-7 deficit into a 23-20 advantage in the first half.

“I’ve been trying to work hard every practice. I knew my time was going to come. I had to be ready,” said Mykhailiuk, whose 10 points were his most since scoring 10 against Montana on Dec. 19. “I thought I played pretty good defense and moved the ball.”

Why hadn’t he played but a minute the last three contests, since missing six of seven shots in a 16-minute stint at Oklahoma State?

“I would say Lagerald and Brannen Greene were pretty good. They played pretty good in games. There was no need to put me in,” Mykhailiuk said. “It was pretty good to play 20 minutes again. I was trying to be aggressive and get my teammates better and work hard at practice.”

Mykhailiuk had two key steals in that early 16-4 run. The first led to a Landen Lucas bucket and the second led to his own three. The student section chanted, “Svi, Svi” after that first-half trey.

“Hearing the crowd yelling your name ... it gives you a lot of energy,” Mykhailiuk said.

Senior Perry Ellis, who had 19 points off 8-of-11 shooting with five rebounds and four turnovers with two steals, said: “I thought Svi did real well. He came out and tried to play hard and did some really good things.”

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self apologizes to K-State before taking questions

Before Kansas basketball coach Bill Self fielded questions from the media after the Jayhawks' win over Kansas State, he apologized to KU's rivals for Brannen Greene's last-second basket in a 77-59 win.

Download podcast

Mykhailiuk played along with reporters after the game as they tried to get him to open up.

“What’s one thing people should know about you?” a reporter asked the 18-year-old soph.

“I’m really good at ping pong,” he said, noting there is one similarity between the two sports. “The ball is really small, so focus maybe,” he said.

KU senior Jamari Traylor (five points, four boards) confirmed Mykhailiuk is a ping pong standout.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Ellis, Mykhailiuk and Graham talk Sunflower Showdown win

Kansas basketball players Perry Ellis, Svi Mykhailiuk and Devonté Graham discuss the Jayhawks' Sunflower Showdown victory over rival Kansas State.

Download podcast

“He’s actually really good, him, Devonté (Graham), Evan (Manning) and Tyler (Self) too,” Traylor said. “He’s really good. When we were in the dorms there was a guy from Japan. They’d go at it. Svi would get him two out of five times,” Traylor added.

Back to basketball ... what can fans expect out of Mykhailiuk the rest of the year?

“Energy,” he said, “and trying to make my teammates better.”

KU, which hit 55.1 percent of its shots on a night it was outrebounded 36-21 by the Wildcats, improved to 18-4 overall and 6-3 in the league heading into Saturday’s 11 a.m., game at TCU. K-State dropped to 13-9, 2-7.

— See what people were saying about the Sunflower Showdown during KUsports.com’s live coverage.

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Kansas State

By the Numbers: Kansas beats K-State, 77-59

By the Numbers: Kansas beats K-State, 77-59

Comments

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 8 months ago

It looks to be conclusive that Mason is playing hurt since OU. Darn good thing Mykailiuk looked good tonight because Self needs to get Mason repaired. Mason's not moving well at all.

We all are happy for the win but geeezzzz, can we give half an effort to rebound. I can't recall a Kansas team that was so lackluster rebounding. I mean really...KSU beat us on the boards 21-26 with them getting 13 ORebs vs our 2! Nothing says more that the OReb KSU got at the 19:15 2H mark. KSU missed a 3...the ball came down in the center of ALL five KU players....nobody went after it....Mason did not block Brown out, who ran into the KU player's circle to get the OReb....KSU ended up scoring.

Wayne's World: After a majestic game against UK, he reverts to Seldom with 7 points to offset his ZERO Rebs and 3 TOs. We will probably get 3 or 4 more great games out of Selden this season but will have to suffer his the valleys in between.

Jared Reeves 2 years, 8 months ago

Mason is definitely not the same player as earlier in the year. A lot more of this minutes need to go to Svi, Greene, and Vick.

I'll take the win, at home, against an opponent without their starting pg; but this team just isn't fun to watch right now.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 8 months ago

Sorry Jared, I think it's too late for Vick. While I love his potential going forward Self IMO needs to shrink the rotation. I think he needs to choose between Svi and Greene and go with it. He's starting to shrink the big rotation but I would much rather see more Bragg than traylor.

Jared Reeves 2 years, 8 months ago

Chris, I threw Vick out there because apparently he is a pretty good on-the-ball defender, which this team definitely needs at times. I completely agree with your big man rotation. Bragg looks really good, even though he can make mistakes.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Vick was never in the plans for this season. He knew it and from what is being said, has worked his tail off anyway. There's reason to be optimistic about him, next year. If we see a lot of him this year that means someone else is injured.

Jared Reeves 2 years, 8 months ago

You should tell Self that Vick isn't in the plans this season, because he got a few minutes against UK.

Also, it appears like someone is injured--Mason.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

He got barely over a minute to end the first half and keep a starter from fouling. Every coach does that with bench players. Evan was used that way at times last year.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Why? How many players need to play? Getting Svi (and even Greene) minutes is 100 times bigger priority.

You constantly try to tie comments together. "So, you agree with me there are times Vick should get minutes this season, and therefore is in the plans?"

Those are separate concepts and asking them as one question is intellectually dishonest. Only a total fool would fall for such silliness.

You're never, ever allowed to litigate I hope.

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

C'mon Jared. Jay has actually backed off and is sticking to basketball-only posts. Now you're being a pr!ck.

RJ,

First, Jay's comment below shows he is not sticking to basketball only: "I'm sure you see many things in your mind Jared....."

Second, please explain how I am being a pr!ck. If he can attack my position, surely I can defend it.

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

In a court of law, your question, "So, you agree with me there are times Vick should get minutes this season, and therefore is in the plans?" would raise an objection - argumentative. I realize this isn't a court of law. Perhaps I'm old school, but I'm yearning for a similar decorum.

I'm also well aware of Jay's tactics, but in this particular thread, he was refraining from personal attacks and sticking to basketball. The percentage of "bar fight" on this site has escalated since the whole Facebook login sent dozens of our classiest and most insightful posters away. Now many are just plain "incite-full." Or baiting. Personal wars well beyond anything having to do with Kansas basketball.

I know I don't "have" to read this, or come here. But I'm not ready to give up on this site. I'm still hoping we can all do our part to raise the bar, so that the insulting, unnecessary, and annoying comments become a very, very small minority. Like before.

Rae Bricil 2 years, 8 months ago

it is funny you mention the whole facebook switch period and baiting because I really miss jaybate's diatribes. I didn't always follow but they were entertaining for the most part.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 8 months ago

As much as I miss jaybate's insightful posts watching Jay Scott get under someone's skin and double (at least) the comment section at most articles is like watching a maestro conduct some of the greatest orchestras.

Jay is a high level wordsmith. Better to take the single hit and move on then to get smacked around trying to get the better of it.

Rae Bricil 2 years, 8 months ago

Respectfully and completely disagree. I typically move on once it the rebuttal is nonsensical. See short guys finish worst argument below.

RJ,

I still fail to understand how it is impolite to ask someone if they agree with you. I made a claim that Svi, Greene and Vick should get PT. Jay claimed that Vick should not. Then Jay claimed there are some situations where he should. He seemed to be agreeing with me. I simply wanted to understand and confirm his position.

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

OK I'll be specific. You advocated more minutes for Greene, Svi and Vick. Jay responded that, "Vick was never in the plans for this season." The implication is, "Vick was never expected to receive significant minutes."

You began your next comment with, "You should tell Self . . . " It's in the tone, Jared. Would you use a tone like that with your boss? Your mother?

Jay responded with a couple of facts, and no "tone." The facts he offered did not conflict with his previous opinion that Vick was never expected to receive significant minutes this year.

To which you asked, "So, you agree with me there are times Vick should get minutes this season, and therefore is in the plans?"

You are unnessarily dissecting Jay's use of the phrase "in the plans." He has already explained his position - that he is fine with Vick's minutes so far this year, and thinks Vick is definitely "in the plans" for next year.

Your question (and it's tone of, "so you agree with me then, right? right? right?") is rhetorical and badgering. You're smarter than that. You can read between the lines. Bury the freaking hatchet already.

RJ,

Your determination of “implications” and “tone” are clearly one-sided. Jay did not say anything about “significant minutes” and neither did I. Even if Jay did say “significant minutes,” he is arguing against a statement I didn’t make. I didn’t say Vick should get “significant minutes.”

With regard to tone, that is your reading of the text based on your obvious bias. Also, you misquote me. I didn’t say “right? right? right?” Again, this is you inserting your reading of my neutral question.

Jay is the largest offender of personal attacks on this website, yet you go after me? Your bias is showing.

Jared Reeves 2 years, 8 months ago

Also, you want me to bury the hatchet? Did I originally respond to his post, or did he respond to mine (with a straw-man argument)?

RJ,

Also, I find it interesting that you criticize me for asking an honest question, yet seem to give Jay a pass for clearly engaging in a personal attack (even if it was from a thread below, which is a distinction without a difference).

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

I absolutely don't give Jay a pass. That's why I said "in this thread." It just doesn't seem to me that you were really "asking an honest question" and I explained why above.

RJ,

I must have missed your post taking him to task on this page, even though he clearly engaged in personal attacks. Could you please show me where this is? (Was this the right tone, or do you read this as mocking?)

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

Brannen's end of game dunk may have made one rotation decision easier for Self.

Barry Weiss 2 years, 8 months ago

that was a game you walk away with a win and still feel bad. Mason is way too banged up to be playing so many minutes. I'v glad Svi got bigger minutes. When he puts the ball on the floor, he is much, much better than shooting from 3.

Jared Reeves 2 years, 8 months ago

Barry, I agree. Svi is really good at finishing near the rim, unlike Mason.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Jared genius comment of the year!

A 6'8 guy is better at the rim than a 5'11 guy.

Next week, water is wetter than sand.

Tom Jones 2 years, 8 months ago

Just unnecessary, troll-like post, Jay.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

How would you analyze this?

"Svi is really good at finishing near the rim, unlike Mason."

Tom Jones 2 years, 8 months ago

How would you analyze this? "Svi is really good at finishing near the rim, unlike Mason."

Well, for one thing, I would say it's true at best and arguable at worst. Certainly not worthy of ridicule. Mason is making poor decisions more than anything else, and he has not been good at finishing his drives because of it. He should be passing, and doing a better job at passing, on a lot of drives he ends up shooting on.

"This is a discussion forum. When people say comically stupid things in public, they understand that their comments will possibly be scrutinized."

There's a lot more to finishing than height. You just picked a bad spot. I get that you and Jared have a "thing", but this was one you should have just let go.

Jared Reeves 2 years, 8 months ago

Jay, there are plenty of players around 5'11 who are better than Mason finishing at the rim. There are also plenty of players around 5'11 that are better finishing at the rim than 6'8 guys.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

That's pretty funny Jared. Getting to the rim. Maybe. Finishing? No. And singling out Mason as someone who isn't good at finishing further erodes your idea. Stop.

Justin Martin 2 years, 8 months ago

You're completely wrong on all account, just like always. When are you going to look in the mirror and figure out you're the one that doesn't know basketball?

Jared Reeves 2 years, 8 months ago

Jay, if the eye test isn't sufficient evidence you (do you actually watch KU games?), perhaps stats will help--and this is just on our team. When the article below was written, Mason was by far the worst on the team at finishing near the rim. "Frank Mason III: 35 of 78 (44.9%)"

Feel free to have the last word, as I know you so desperately need.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Next week. Taller guys block more shots.

Rae Bricil 2 years, 8 months ago

Yes there is a correlation between height and finishing at the rim but it is not close to the only thing. Give me Iverson finishing at the rim over any big we have on our team.
And for that matter since all that matters is height Lucas is taller than Dwayne Wade so I am sure you would rather have Lucas finishing.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Nobody said that. Comparing Lucas and Wade is in no way similar to comparing Svi and Mason. Jared takes enough journeys into comparative absurdities without a co-pilot.

Rae Bricil 2 years, 8 months ago

You said: Jared genius post of the year. The shortest guy on the team is the worst finisher at the rim.

As if it is given that the shortest guy on the team will always be the worst finisher. I was just pointing that this generalization is not always correct.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

It sounds like you're really having an argument with Jared. Why address it to me?.

David Lara 2 years, 8 months ago

Nobody said what, Jay? That a taller player is incontrovertibly going to finish better than a shorter player? I'm pretty sure that was YOU, buddy. You are the one making the generality, not Jared. When you say "Genius comment of the year! Next week, water wetter than sand" you declare that it is such an obvious statement that no needs to even consider it. At that point pretty much anyone willing to give the numerous examples of where your faulty generalized logic comes up short is going to make you look foolish. Don't fight it, just accept it and move on. You make more stupid statements for the sake of making other people look bad than anyone on here. Golf clap

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks David. Anything basketball related to offer?

Justin Martin 2 years, 8 months ago

Even though height certainly helps, you really think just cuz someone is taller by default they're a better rim finisher? /yawn

Ben Kane 2 years, 8 months ago

Mason is way better at the rim than Svi but Mason too often tries to do too much, go against too many guys, or is just too small to get the ball over a big.

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

Mason's stats tell the story of something entirely different than the case Ben is making.

Ben is saying that - technically - Mason is a good finisher.

The fact that Frank makes poor decisions and goes up against too many guys, and/or is just too small to get the ball over a big, is incorporated in the stats. The stats include ALL these factors, not just Mason's physical ability to finish.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

How are fouls calculated into this? If a player is fouled is a shot attempt tracked? It isn't in a game but in Jared's (Ben Smith's) formula, how does this get reconciled? Many (sometimes too many) times Mason is taking the ball to the rim looking more for free throws that a bucket. How does this fit in Ben Smith's math?

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

Well, I think Ben Kane is making a case for the fact that Mason is a good finisher - based on physical ability. I think that Jared is saying that stats don't lie.

I think they are both right, but in this case, the stats are not the only means of evaluating Mason's ability to finish. Mason DOES drive in there many times when, seemingly, he has no business doing so. The stats, of course include those failures.

But like you say, are those really failures? I completely agree that Frank is often trying to draw the foul, and "intent" is not reflected in the math. Intent is also something that no one but the person being evaluated will ever really know, so debate about intent will just go round and round in circles.

I'm fine with Mason regularly driving into the trees - especially when he can keep the defense guessing with dishes to the perimeter (like Greene's 3 before the half), or by occasionaly pulling up for a jumper. I wish ALL of our players would be more conscious of drawing fouls. Perry is great when he does this.

Sometimes, it's not about scoring the bucket or making the free throw. An opponent in foul trouble can be even better. (Kentucky, K-State.) We should take better advantage of our depth this way. My big concern is that Mason doesn't get too beat up.

RJ,

Whether you look at stats, or the eye test, Mason is not a good finisher. Tyshawn Taylor was a good finisher near the basket.

Terrence Cernech 2 years, 8 months ago

A few thoughts, or opinions; Greene has forfeited a good share of his minutes with his last second big FU to Coach Self. The NBA still likes Diallo and Bragg, based on potential, and Svi is also coveted by the NBA. By the end of the game Ellis will have his because he is steady and has worked at developing his game and he is the only known commodity in the paint. Beginning now and throughout the rest of his collegiate career, Lucas should 15-30 minutes each day practicing dunking the ball from a standstill and with one step in either direction and spend another 15-30 minutes each day practicing and perfecting a Tim Duncan type bank shot from 8-12 feet from either side. Mason is worn down and needs a hiatus of a few days away from basketball. He has a very slim chance of the NBA and might be able to have a career overseas. But right now he appears to be hurting the Hawks. He is very inconsistent in his offensive play. He is not finishing at the rim. He is not getting the ball to the second and third side in the half-court, is reluctant to feed the post and seems to have an aversion to get the ball to Selden. With Mason and Graham on the court at the same time they evolve into a two-man game with each too often to be effective. With the big XII playing a true conference schedule on a home and home basis the conference will exploit the Hawks deficiencies as much as possible and more so than non-conference foes. The importance of winning the Conference has to be clearly defined for the team, i.e. it is more important than making a deep run in the NCAA tourney or not as important. Obviously both are important and expected each and every year. But the string of conference titles because of its historic proportions has garnered much notoriety outside the KU camp. So what is the priority right now; beyond one game at a time?

Terrence Cernech 2 years, 8 months ago

Again my opinion I would like to see a starting line-up with Svi replacing Mason for a few games. Mason seriously needs rest and a different perspective may well improve his game and contributions. Let Graham run the point with Mason relieving him and keeping them off the court at the same time to develop and show confidence in the immense depth of the bench guys. I would also like to see a rotation of ten guys from the start of each game with relentless defensive pressure and ball denial and weak side team defense from all five guys on the court. Maybe giving up some open threes but guaranteeing there are no open layups or paint points. Then by halftime know who is playing well today and use a smaller 7-8 man rotation in the second half. Similar to the Royals in the MLB turning games into 5-6 inning contests, exhaust the opponents with the relentless defensive pressure and then winning the contest in the second half with relatively fresher players than the opponent. Shortening their game while exhausting the foe. Thus utilizing their depth, creating opportunities for development of their depth, giving meaningful minutes throughout the roster ten men deep, and rewarding productivity and game plan fidelity. That's all my BS for the day. Be blessed!!

Janet Olin 2 years, 8 months ago

Agree, Suzi. Stevie Wonder could tell Mason is hurt; he probably doesn't admit it to the coaching staff. Selden's disappearance is just as frustrating. Thank goodness Svi is warming up.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 8 months ago

Mykailiuk has had umpteen opportunities this year to establish himself as a rotation fixture but has blown all of them, mostly by his inability to hit open shots. If he can hit a decent percentage, his heady/alert all round game would certainly be a major welcome.

Mike Riches 2 years, 8 months ago

It looks like the league race may be all but determined after next week, with WVU coming to AFH on Tuesday, and our game in Norman next Saturday. Two huge games in which we will control our destiny. That also makes this Saturday a perfect trap game against a less-than-great TCU squad. I'm hoping we come out strong and play a complete game at TCU, which may help our guys build some confidence going into next week.

Tonight was as good of a game as I can remember for Svi. Although he wasn't hot from outside, he brought some great energy, which the rest of our guys desperately needed. Hustle is indeed contagious, and Svi was just the spark we needed. To be successful next week, everyone will need to bring their A game!

Joe Ross 2 years, 8 months ago

Kansas will not win or tie in the league race this year.

1. Our experience level isn't translating into better performance in games.

2. We don't have the size or skill in the post to play against and defend quality bigs of opponents.

3. Our backcourt is inconsistent. Selden has a career night then disappears. Masons play is all over the place. Devonte is hit and miss.

There are too many variables that we dont appear to have control of, and our experience isnt helping to solve them.

Mike Riches 2 years, 8 months ago

The inconsistency can be frustrating to watch, no question. However, if we do not keep our streak going, it may very likely be because of OU's dominance, more than our deficiencies. We may end up with 4-5 losses, which in previous years, would have been sufficient to at least tie, but it's hard to imagine OU losing 2-3 more times.

All that said, it's not over till it's over. At one game out of first, and full control of our destiny, I still think there's a chance, as naive as that may sound.

Barry Weiss 2 years, 8 months ago

can't argue with any of your points Joe. The conference is wild though and there have been years in the past we looked dead in the water and whoever was above us lost a shocker. We will need that and more this year. I'm sure we have more loses coming and OU just looks too consistent.

Michael Lorraine 2 years, 8 months ago

Tied for second is the best we can do. Even if we can get on track, OU is too good.

Tom Jones 2 years, 8 months ago

The race won't be decided next week, still a lonnnng way to go.

However, whether or not KU is still in the conversation will indeed depend on next week's games.

Chris Shaw 2 years, 8 months ago

O where O where did this Svi come from? Granted his 3 point shots didn't fall, but he looked confident, smooth, and in control. Outside of Graham and Mason it was refreshing to see another Jayhawk have the ability to get by their defender and take it to the rack. That was the most refreshing part IMO about Svi. I hope that Svi sticks around the rest of the season. It unfortunately will limit Greene's minutes of Svi can play like that but not everyone can be happy with PT.

Joe Ross, completely agree about Selden. This is what has frustrated me with Selden his whole career. I was very curious about this game in terms of how Selden would play. I think because Selden had a career game against "Kentucky" that can sometimes be misleading. John Calipari has the better team, better athletes, better talent, and bigger name, but those kids at Kentucky aren't as disciplined defensively.

Bruce Webber and K-State aren't near as talented and not even close to being a good team but one thing you will always get from a Bruce Webber team? A team focused and disciplined on defense regardless of their athletes and talent. That's why Bruce Webber was so good at Southern Illinois and those Salukis squads back in the day because they were so tough to play against because of their defensive mindset.

This his why I think Self and staff need to seriously consider getting Selden in spots (the half post) where he doesn't have to operate and focus so much with his dribble. Let him catch and face or catch and post and let Selden do work and damage from more comfortable spots from 8 to 17 feet.

Last night was a prime example of K-State guards focusing on Selden and they prevented Selden from getting comfortable because simply stated, they were quicker out beyond the 3 point line than Selden. If Selden isn't hitting his shot there has to be other ways to get him going and get him in the flow. He's just not quick or fast enough to get his shoulder past people. Where Selden goes Kansas goes.

Good post Joe, Ross.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Svi is still projected in the first round by some 2016 mock drafts. He has a higher ceiling than Selden and adds a dimension with his additional length that will be critical in some matchups.

Getting Svi going at the level we saw glimpses of last night is far more critical than developing Bragg or Diallo, for this season.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 8 months ago

Draft Express has Diallo at #21, Svi at 27 and Selden at 56, no other Jayhawks mentioned. http://www.draftexpress.com/rankings/Top-100-Prospects/2/

NBA Draft Net has Diallo at 15, Selden at 32 and Ellis at 45. http://www.nbadraft.net/2016mock_draft

No idea how realistic these mock projections are. If I was Selden, it would make sense to come back for his senior season even though that would probably push any chance of signing Josh Jackson.

I don't want to see us lose another player like Andrew White III but I don't see how Vick will see much PT if Selden or Jackson are playing at Kansas next season.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

If fans read some of these comments they might think Kansas lost by 20.........

Barry Weiss 2 years, 8 months ago

lol..true, but dang it just felt like we missed so many opportunities to put this one away earlier, rest our starters and get more bench experience. For some reason that is not happening and Coach has to keep the starters in 30 plus minutes. I was glad Svi got some big minutes. I love it when that kid puts it on the floor and takes it to the hoop, he's got NBA moves for his height.

Jared Reeves 2 years, 8 months ago

Some fans are able to see things without crimson and blue colored glasses.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm sure you see many things in your mind Jared.....

David McNickle 2 years, 8 months ago

I'll be the guy in stands, spiking my cup at 11:15 Saturday morning, if KU plays anything like last night. Most disinterested group of players I can remember playing for KU. This game has all the makings of a disaster. 11:00 game. WVU and OU being next week. Not at home to have the crowd and favorable officiating pull us through. I'd consider sitting Mason on Saturday. Something is not right with him. Wouldn't mind Svi getting a start.

Matthew Pyle 2 years, 8 months ago

This team is painful to watch. I know I'm a spoiled KU fan, but this team has no toughness (aside from maybe our shortest player). I'm guessing an early tourney exit is in our future.

Rae Bricil 2 years, 8 months ago

Wow, this team can be really really bad for stretches and really good; it is amazing the difference in a single game or even a half—this team appears lost for the most part. Something is definitely wrong with Mason—1 for 5 FG and he continually misses lay-ups that he used to make. A lot of people are speculating that he is banged up. I am curious if that is the case since KU was playing better without him last night, got a large lead and Self put him back in when the game was out basically out of reach. Not sure why he was put back in.
Also, along the same lines and someone else pointed this out last night on here, why when we are up 17 or so with 7 minutes left not put in Bragg or Diallo to get them some more PT? Lucas even fouled out with 5 minutes left and Self put Traylor in—why? Those two players have reached their ceiling why not play Bragg or Diallo and let them get more game time experience? Bragg had a great move in the first half and never got back in. Similarly against UK he played well and never played in the second half. Diallo does look lost at moment but his athleticism and hustle should account for something—at 6-10, somehow, Lucas has a hard time dunking the ball. Lastly, what is really painful to watch is when Traylor and Lucas are on the court at the same time. When KU is on offense the defense is really only worried about 3 players—seems limiting to me.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Diallo and Bragg are both AWFUL defensively and foul prone. That's who you want on the floor to protect a late lead?

Traylor is among the best players in college basketball in that scenario. He combines the size, strength and hops to rebound and defend down low with the quickness to handle guards on switches and defend the perimeter better than anyone Kansas has and almost anyone in the country. He shoots free throws well. Every coach in America would play him in late game situations.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 8 months ago

I am not a Lucas fan but those who say we play 4 on 5 basketball when we are on offense seem to miss the fact that you can do a lot of things on the court other than scoring to help your team when playing offense.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Amen. Sadly most of the Chicken Littles don't have a clue.

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

Self constantly notes to the press which players practiced well. For every game we see, there are hours of more opportunities for them to demonstrate that they have grasped the concept, put forth the effort, and are deserving of game minutes.

Self is typically methodical. He's not going to get caught up in the emotion of the game and suddenly ditch a plan shaped on practices and scouting report. Right or wrong, this is his M.O.

Why are fans constantly baffled about who played? Self has given us his answer time and time again. We may not like it, but the weight he gives to practice performances in determining game minutes, seems a lot more fair and smart than most other potential methods.

Rae Bricil 2 years, 8 months ago

RJ fair point regarding practice but Self also says he doesn’t play players sometimes because the moment is too big for them. My point was that situations like this allow them to become acclimated so that when big moments do arrive they may be ready.

This teams’ ceiling does not appear to be Championship level caliber if Traylor and Lucas are the go to guys at the 5. KU appears to be a second tier team but earlier in the year KU was a first tier team up there with OU and UNC and a few others. I am not sure if it is due to a recent regression of some of the better players, the lack of development of anticipated impact of players or a combination of both. Regardless, it feels like this team is no longer a NC contender like a few months ago in relation to other teams. Which seems a shame bc the potential appears to be there.

Terrence Cernech 2 years, 8 months ago

Somehow, I believe, Coach Self has some idea of what this team is, what it can be, and what he is doing with it. But nobody wins them all, all the time. And I think he will be at KU as long as he wishes. So ..................

Jared Reeves 2 years, 8 months ago

So....no one should have an opinion on how things could improve? We should just trust Coach Self with blind faith?

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

No Jared. People should post intelligent ideas. Most do. Some, like you, will post mostly unintelligent ideas.

At that point, your ideas will be subject to criticism, as are other ideas and as is Self's coaching. The differences are many there. 1) Coach Self won't have a tantrum when evaluated. 2) Coach Self has a record of success, you do not. 3) Self doesn't ask disingenuous non sequitur questions.

Jay,

Feel free to criticize ideas. However, you criticize people. I noticed that when you start losing an argument you engage in personal attacks. This is childish, but funny to watch. Calling someone's ideas "unintelligent" without backing it up, says that you can't prove it, but you still want to have the last word.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Jared. You poor thing. Your ideas have been exposed as absurd so many times that a rational person would have given up as have most of your compulsive Chicken Little friends.

Please stay. It's important to have a few living examples of this type around to show what kind of person thinks this way.

Jared Reeves 2 years, 8 months ago

Thanks for proving my point. You continue to call me and my ideas unintelligent or absurd, yet cannot provide any argument or evidence to support your conclusion. Keep the laughs coming.

Feel free to have the last word, as everyone knows you so desperately need.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Jared. You might be able to use those junior high "I know you are but what am I" tactics with your friends, but they don't work in the real world.

If you seriously don't think your ideas are repeatedly shown as idiotic, keep bringing them. It's fun to see what sort of logic the Self haters and Chicken Littles pass off as rational thought. I really don't care if you respond or not. For the sake of your dignity, you would be best to just skulk off. The service men and women you deal with have earned you the freedom to do as you wish. God forbid that their legal rights are ever placed directly in your hands.

Arthur Ankeney 2 years, 8 months ago

Great, great, GREAT point RJ. I've said this about Self for a while and it often times frustrates me like crazy. Self is a great player development coach. Guys who are average truly develop and blossom under his regime. He is NOT a good game coach. He fails to recognize how a game unfolds and to make adjustments. We all sit here baffeled when he sticks with players playing awfully or fails to make a defensive change to help the team. For the first time, in that KY game, we saw it and it made me so happy. He went to a new defense that caused KY problems and, after switching back and getting beat again in man, he STUCK WITH IT. Again, KSU game plan from the start should have been "they have no ball handlers, let's put some extra pressure on them and try to force some extra turnovers." Finally with about 10 minutes left in the game he added some full court pressure and KSU truly struggled for the first time all game. I've seen some more game-time decision changes over the past 2 games and I hope...HOPE...this means we can expect game-time changes in personel. Play the hot guy, sit the cold guy. Practice is a great way to encourage guys, but you can't sit a guy who's playing well in the game so we never see him again. Bragg gets DESTROYED when asked to play the 5 (or even a large 4) but he isn't a defensive liability if he plays against most league 4's. So when Ellis comes out, let Bragg play.

The other frustrating thing to me is that Self tends to play the young guys together. Well no wonder Bragg and Diallo look confused when they play if they play their minutes together instead of with the veterans having their back...Put Diallo out there with Ellis some more and I bet you get a higher return than if you stick him out there with Bragg.

Rae Bricil 2 years, 8 months ago

It was 67-49 with 5:02 left--18 points! I think they are more than capable of playing in that situation.

And to call Bragg and Diallo awful at defense is non sense. To paraphrase another commenter: you are better than such hyperbole--but in this case maybe not

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Rae. No coach in America puts in their weakest defenders with a lead and 5 minutes to play. Diallo and Bragg are unquestionably Kansas' weakest post defenders. They're also immensely foul prone.

I'll type this again in hopes that you can comprehend it.

Jared Reeves 2 years, 8 months ago

Jay, there are plenty of times that HCBS has put in Diallo and Bragg late in the game with a lead.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

That's super! Then why are so many Chicken Littles whining?

Jared Reeves 2 years, 8 months ago

Jay, so, you are admitting you are wrong in your prior post? " No coach in America puts in their weakest defenders with a lead and 5 minutes to play."

You are making me hungry, with all the talk of Chicken Littles.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Dude. You've gone full fool. Have a nap and regroup.

Scott Smetana 2 years, 8 months ago

Svi looked great last night, but doesn't have quick enough feet to guard superfast guards (which there are plenty of in this league). Perfect game for him last night and hopefully he'll shine again in Manhattan.

Our biggest problem is the one we've had all season, a big man who can score against size. Lucas is playing well on Defense, but I'm really hoping Mickelson can come back and take pressure off of the guards to score!

I love that a "down" year at KU means we've fallen to #7 and may end up with... GASP... a 3 seed!

What's the over/under on number of times the Boocats and their Crycoach will complain to the refs in Manhattan?

Ideal rotation for now

Mason - 30 mins Starting PG

Graham 30 mins coming off bench

Selden 30 Mins Starting SG

Svi 30 Mins Starting SF

Greene situational minutes based on foul problems, matchups, injuries and out of bounds plays to be taken from the above 4.

Ellis 30 Minutes Starting PF

Lucas 20 minutes - Starting C 25 when opponents have a true center. 15 When they don't

Traylor 15 minutes

Bragg 10 Minutes, more when Ellis has foul issues or teams have no real center

Mickelson 5 minutes More if needed when Lucas has foul issues.

Diallo Blowout minutes and little more until further notice. Hope the light goes on soon.

Vick Keep working hard kid. You'll be a good player, next year.

Barry Weiss 2 years, 8 months ago

I would maybe cut Mason, Graham, and Seldon down to 28 minutes. Svi 25 minutes. Greene 10-15 minutes. Ellis 30 minutes. Lucas 15 minutes, Traylor 15 minutes. Bragg and Diallo 20 minutes each! Free Diallo! Our post season distance will be determined by those two freshman. At the pace we are playing them, no way we can get to the sweet sixteen. If we bump their minutes, the pay-off will be in the final sixteen teams. Book it! ( oh, by the way, I have no clue if my minute totals work our or not)

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

Yeah - actually you left 4-9 minutes for Mickelson and Vick. I agree about cutting the 3 guard minutes. They each need to rest and refocus more than they are allowed / forced to right now.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Bragg and especially Diallo have to show a LOT more. Why do they hold the keys to the post season? Where are the flashes of dominance?

Svi is a far, far bigger key to postseason success. Far more teams have a 6'7' - 6'9 small forward that will need to be guarded than have some weapon that only Bragg or Diallo can guard.

Plus there are only 80 mins for bigs...If Ellis plays 30 and Trylor and Lucas 15 each...That's 60. Diallo and Bragg can't then play 20 each. No. Perry isn't a 3.

Barry Weiss 2 years, 8 months ago

The reason I feel so strongly about throwing minutes to Bragg and Diallo is that I feel like the vets, by themselves, or basically the way the team is rotated now, has hit its ceiling and I dont think that ceiling will necessarily win the conference or go very far in the NCAA. I think our only shot for a deeper run is to "gamble" if you will, with Bragg and Diallo on more minutes. My bet is that it is a good gamble and the pay-off will be a stronger team in March. And this is why I am not the coach, making 5 mil, with a jillion titles. But I like my thinking. :)

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

I don't always agree with you Barry but you know your stuff and I like your humble nature.

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

And if Greene's "situational minutes" do NOT come at the end of the game, that will be GREAT, because it will mean that KU is AHEAD. :-)

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

Isn't Greene the most confounding player ever at Kansas? He's right there with JR Giddens.

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

As a volunteer coach and mother of boys - and observer of so many of their friends and teammates over the years - Greene is a poster child for ADD. His high degree of impulsiveness and lack of focus scream it. Re-diagnosis, more meds, may be in order. And I'm not being snarky. I mean this in the kindest of ways. There's something about Brannen that pulls on my heartstrings. I want the kid to live his potential and enjoy his gifts. He needs more help.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

A mother? All my middle aged, misogynistic/chivalrous bells are ringing. Your comments, while there's no logic/excuse for this, suddenly seem even more insightful. I'm flashing back to last nights broadcast and telling the redhead that Doris Burke is awesome! She smiled and shook/nodded her head...

Anyway. I totally get what you're saying about Greene. I hope he figures it all out.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 8 months ago

Last year, I often referred to that team as having a collective bad case of ADD. Without getting personal, there are 3 of our players that have those classic symptoms.

I also have kids, am a mother, and coached kids for years. It is very obvious but no sense on making it personal. We should celebrate the fact our boys are working through their difficulties.

Kelly Pierce 2 years, 8 months ago

Love the minutes. I have been calling for Svi all year. I truly think he can be a star.

Linda Peschka 2 years, 8 months ago

Well I do agree with you Jay on that comment. Look where JR finished his career(New Mexico) and he had difficulties there. Greene, to reiterate my position, is not a good college player at a D-1 level. He plays no defense. He could not even guard my Golden Retriever, who is big and fast. I think KU peaked too early in the season. The peak was the OU game. We keep talking about Mason being hurt, which affects his playing, I am not so sure. His on court demeanor has changed drastically. I think it is pure mental. At times he looks so frustrated after a poor court decision as if "why try harder". I do agree with others that he needs less playing time. Graham needs to put his money where his mouth is. He plays defense so inconsistent and to not want to play different types of Zone so "we can get after them" does not understand the "HOW" of playing a Zone. A win is a win but we did not play well. Just look at Mason and Selden stats,( something you Jay are always referring) not very good. KU was out rebounded not 26-21 but 36-21. That is shameful. Not one player was aggressive on the boards. NOT EVEN ONE. If the ball fell in front of them, they would pick it up, if not forget it. KU will not, WILL NOT win the Big 12. OU will win. They have the ingredient needed which is leadership. KU has no leader. No "go-to-player. KU will not even make the Sweet Sixteen. All this will happen if they continue to play at the poor level and not up to their ability, both physically and mentally. A turn around is needed to finish at the top of the Big 12.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

I'm 100% sure that Greene could guard your golden. A better question, would he really want to?

Jack Hoff 2 years, 8 months ago

After watching the game last nights, my friends and I all agreed that the game just felt so uninspiring and even boring. I will say, we probably aren't giving KState enough credit because they have been anything but a pushover this year. Note their game in Norman and against WVU. At the same time it was evident KU was just playing soft, I wouldn't say they weren't ready to play necesarily, but they just turned the ball over way too easily and got out toughed far too often. Certainly no reason to panic. One way to look at is that as poorly as they played, they beat a respectable KSTATE team by 18. Championship teams can do that. Certainly thus far this team has showed that the bigger the stage the better they pay so pehaps that bodes well for Tourney time. I am still a bit confused on the rotation pattern but the reality of it is Self is gonna do what he wants regardless how we feel about it. There is only so many minutes to go around so either way someone is getting screwed and there is no way to please everybody. The TCU game should tell us alot on the state of this team.

Jack,

I think you summed this team up perfectly--uninspiring and boring. I would agree with you about the KSU win, but they were without the starting PG. Plus, it seems like we got some home cooking with the foul situation. It will be a different game in Manhattan.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 8 months ago

"The TCU game should tell us alot on the state of this team."

Agree, the loss to OSU was costly. OSU has only two conference wins and one of them is against Kansas. Somewhere, we are going to need to make up for that game by beating one of the better teams on their home court. We still have West Virginia and ISU coming to Allen Fieldhouse and are most win games.

We simply need to beat TCU even if it's not so simply done.

Jerry Walker 2 years, 8 months ago

Speaking of rebounds -- Do you know the definiton of "dead ball rebounds" as listed in the box score? I didn't but here's a hint: Every missed shot must have a rebound.

Here's an interesting article on the history of stats -- especially dead ball rebounds.

Michael Lorraine 2 years, 8 months ago

Can anyone see this team losing in Manhattan? I can.

Jay Scott 2 years, 8 months ago

.........on any given night. No game in College basketball is a gimme. Ask Ralph Sampson about Chaminade.

Michael Lorraine 2 years, 8 months ago

True but I think they are especially vulnerable in this game. The Cats don't turn the ball over and we don't get home cooking could make for a close game. And, this is their biggest game of the year.

RJ King 2 years, 8 months ago

The Cats will be pumped up to retaliate for BG's end of game disrespect. The fans will certainly make some noise about that. And Weber will want to avenge what he perceived to be (and maybe was) excessive foul calls. KU had better be prepared to deal with those intangibles.