Wednesday, December 21, 2016

KU at UNLV not available for WOW subscribers

Kansas basketball fans in Lawrence who rely on their WOW cable subscriptions to watch the Jayhawks will have to figure out another option for Thursday night’s game at UNLV.

KU’s 8 p.m. road test in Las Vegas, Nevada, will air on CBS Sports Network — a channel not offered locally through WOW.

The same issue popped up for the city’s WOW subscribers a year ago, when Kansas played at San Diego State on the same network.

The UNLV game marks the only time the Jayhawks play on CBS Sports Network this season.

The remaining games on the Kansas regular-season schedule all will air on either ESPN, ESPN 2 or the national CBS network.

Comments

Bryce Landon 4 years, 10 months ago

There's this wonderful little thing called "the radio". Use it.

For the record, I believe the reason this game is on CBS-SN is because CBS-SN has broadcast rights to Mountain West home games.

Gavin Fritton 4 years, 10 months ago

There's also a thing called "television." Lots and lots of people prefer it to your older device because it not only broadcasts sounds but also images, many of them in color and also in motion. Given that it's a technological advance available to nearly every part of the country, asking to see the Jayhawks on this newfangled contraption instead of your shortwave device doesn't seem entirely unreasonable except to WOW subscribers.

Bryce Landon 4 years, 10 months ago

It's no skin off my back to not be able to watch one game because it's on a channel we aren't normally seen on, especially when said game is the only game all year that we'll be seen on this channel.

Gavin Fritton 4 years, 10 months ago

Hey, good for you! I wonder if you speak for everyone? I wonder if it's just as possible that there might be some family members home for Christmas who have very few chances to watch the Jayhawks together who would appreciate this chance and don't get it because WOW isn't carrying it?

I mean, it's no skin off my back either because I have a cable package that carries his channel.

Josh Galler 4 years, 10 months ago

if you have Consolidated Communications in KC you would only if you have the sports tier but I don't have it, so I am screwed too. do you know if it would be on the cbs sports app to watch it?

Robert Brock 4 years, 10 months ago

Bryce loves his upright Philco. He listens to KU games and Beany & Cecil radio shows simultaneously.

Bryce Landon 4 years, 10 months ago

I think this guy might be the troll who hits me with gay slurs during live in-game comment threads. Well, at least he's finally mustered the guts to show his name.

Chris Anderson 4 years, 10 months ago

ATT/DirectTV channel 221.

Why does the LJW -- in its channel listings and TV times for sports and entertainment -- continue to report only WOW, formerly owned by the Simons family as Sunflower Cable?

Many (most?) people in Lawrence dropped WOW for other cable providers, yet the LJW still reports as if we were still all using Sunflower Cable.

Why not tell the rest of us where to find the game?

Josh Galler 4 years, 10 months ago

is there an online option or app to watch the game? I have the channel on Consolidated Communications, but it is on sports tier which I did not purchase, and I am unable to watch it.

Andrew R. Gaylor 4 years, 10 months ago

Now WOW subscribers can get the frustrated feeling some of us get when the KU games are on the Jayhawk Network and we can't watch them because we don't subscribe to the cable service offering it.

Bryce Landon 4 years, 10 months ago

For those games, WOW carries them on Channel 37, so how do WOW subscribers not get those games?

Andrew R. Gaylor 4 years, 10 months ago

Bryce I'm talking about those of us that do not have WOW and can't watch the games that are broadcast on JTV.

Andrea Zuercher 4 years, 10 months ago

Well, here's the problem: If your cable company (a.k.a. WOW!) does not carry CBS SN, you cannot watch online. So there it is. Radio or nothing. Bah humbug.

Brian Hosfelt 4 years, 10 months ago

try having direct TV and missing about 6 basketball games and a couple football games

Gavin Fritton 4 years, 10 months ago

I wouldn't say people are MISSING the football games, Bob.