Wednesday, December 14, 2016

KU forward Carlton Bragg: ‘I’m glad it’s over’

Kansas forward Carlton Bragg Jr. (15) slaps hands with the fans as he leaves the court following the Jayhawks' 86-65 win over Siena on Friday, Nov. 18, 2016 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Now that the misdemeanor battery charge against him stemming from an incident that surfaced last Friday has been dropped, the focus can shift back to how Kansas sophomore Carlton Bragg Jr., can help the third-ranked Kansas basketball program the rest of the season.

According to a statement issued by KU coach Bill Self on Wednesday evening, Bragg could have an impact as soon as Saturday against Davidson in Kansas City, Missouri.

“As we have said since this incident occurred, it was important for us to take this issue seriously and to allow the process to play out,” Self said. “We appreciate the authorities handling this issue in a timely manner. Now that they have made their decision, Carlton is no longer suspended from competition.”

From the beginning, Self said Bragg, a 6-foot-10 forward from Cleveland who was averaging 7.8 points and 5.3 rebounds per game in 16 minutes per game at the time of the incident, would be held out until the issue was resolved.

He missed last Saturday’s victory over Nebraska at Allen Fieldhouse, but attended the game in street clothes and sat at the end of the Kansas bench.

After the game, Self said he elected to have Bragg in the building because it offered a teaching moment and sent the message that Bragg was still a part of the Kansas basketball family and would continue to be throughout the investigation.

Wednesday, Self praised the way the 20-year-old, one-time KU starter who had struggled to find his rhythm on the floor during the first nine games of the 2016-17 season kept a cool head throughout the past week.

“I’m proud of the way Carlton has handled this situation, considering all the negative publicity he has received both locally and nationally,” Self said. “He knew all the facts and knew that he needed to refrain from comment while the investigation took place. We’re glad this situation is resolved.”

Bragg, in the same news release sent out Wednesday, expressed similar emotions.

“This has been a difficult and humiliating experience for me, and I’m glad it’s over,” he said. “I appreciate the authorities taking the time to get this right. I also appreciate the support of my teammates and coaches, and I’m glad I can put this behind me and move forward.”

Comments

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

What's to clean up? Just some messy poo he'll be more careful not to step in again.

Brett McCabe 2 years, 2 months ago

It's his poo. He didn't step in it, he created it.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Brett, has there never, ever been someone, in your life who turned out not to be who you thought they were? (And we don't even know the definition of "girlfriend" here.) A high "relationship IQ" or intuition often takes half a lifetime to acquire. Pretty sure he doesn't need our criticism, scolding, or judgement.

Steve Grimm 2 years, 2 months ago

Is it an unfortunate situation? yes. But this is exactly the kind of response that makes me cringe and feel doubly sorry for the person who must endure the weight of public opinion ON TOP OF their own emotions.

You cant and won't begin to know the circumstances that led to this event. If it was of his making or not, it certainly is not for you to pass judgement.

So keep your editorial and judgements to yourself. If it makes you feel better, post it on your bathroom wall but not here or anywhere else. That is, unless you plan to post YOUR next unfortunate mishap so that we can pass judgement on you.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 2 months ago

Brett, it seems almost as if you are disappointed that Carlton was cleared by the police.

Sometimes young adults put themselves in bad situations but as the video proved - he was cleared of a false accusation. Pretty sure he doesn't need your approval or anything else from you.

Severeno Woods 2 years, 2 months ago

Bragg was a victim of DV. That was his gf putting her hands on him. Whether he cheated on her or not Bragg did not deserve to be hit. Would be saying the samething if Bragg was a female? My only advise is to end that relationship immediately.

Dale Rogers 2 years, 2 months ago

So, how much national media attention will this get? Anywhere close to the same it got when he was arrested? I really doubt it. Maybe a short statement on TV and a brief blurb on print media other than our local media.

Brett McCabe 2 years, 2 months ago

Welcome to the real world.

As the old saw goes...."where do I go to get my credibility back?'. It's a black eye, it will heal, but nobody notices a healed black eye, just the black eye.

Let's hope it helps him develop a mean streak on the court because right now he resembles a Panda more than a Grizzly.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 2 months ago

I can well imagine some of the trash talking some of our opponents will hit him with.

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

My take, Suszi, is that Mr. Bragg will be perfectly able to let that kind of sewage flow under the bridge on its way to a sanitation facility. Like many of the lessons of life, "If it doesn't kill us, it'll make us stronger."

John Myers 2 years, 2 months ago

It's in the Top Headlines section on ESPN's College Basketball page (at least it is as of right now (10:10pm CST)

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 2 months ago

ESPN was all over it as well as the national online sports outlets. I did see from ESPN that he was cleared of all charges. It will hurt him in the short run but it will be how he performs on the basketball court that determines his future.

Barry Weiss 2 years, 2 months ago

I really think we are going to see a new Carlton, focused, playing with a renewed purpose, the player we heard was going to tear this season up. I think we will get that now. Go Carlton!

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

Hope that is the way things turn out. Focus (on his own play) will be the key.

Richard Duran 2 years, 2 months ago

Douglas County dropped the charges, what will the university do?

Barry Weiss 2 years, 2 months ago

if Carlton did nothing wrong, the university should not do anything to him. The female student, who has now been charged, may face some discipline from the university.

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

There is still the matter of ingesting controlled substances. Some of us feel Carlton has suffered through five days of purgatory and anything more would be unnecessarily flaying the mule.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 2 months ago

Carlton has been reinstated and will most likely play against Davidson.

Bryce Landon 2 years, 2 months ago

When Carlton Bragg was arrested and charged, I was one of those who called for his dismissal from the team and compared him to the likes of Ray Rice and other thuggish woman-beating NFL players. But now that the truth has come out, that Bragg has been cleared, and the accuser found to be a false accuser, I want to come in and say how sorry I am for my rush to judgment and ask the forgiveness of all my fellow Kansas fans.

John Randall 2 years, 2 months ago

Nice to see you write it ... hope the hubris isn't too hard to swallow.

Remember one thing ... first reactions are worthy of reconsideration.

Will Babbit 2 years, 2 months ago

Hear hear. I'm sure you were among hundreds with the same attitude and reaction, but one of very few who would admit you were wrong.

I for one am just glad that the truth came out and it didn't sit as a he said/she said situation indefinitely.

Jaston Archie 2 years, 2 months ago

How much better the world would be if we all could follow this example instead of pretending to be perfect all the time

Pius Waldman 2 years, 2 months ago

Carlton: Like they say nothing good happens after midnight

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Well, at least it wasn't the NCAA dragging out, I mean, conducting the investigation.

Yonatan Negash 2 years, 2 months ago

Glad of the outcome.

Now, let's play ball.

Steve Zimmerman 2 years, 2 months ago

Bragg: stop smiling! start playing with RAGE! get that frustration out on the court by playing like there's no tomorrow! Yell more! Dunk hard and don't just stand around on the defense. Stick your butt out and seal your man tight!! You better start playing like a real baller now!!

Jay Scott 2 years, 2 months ago

Smiling didn't work for Magic Johnson either.........

Harlan Hobbs 2 years, 2 months ago

Bryce, you are a stand up person with your comments. We have all made similar mistakes many times, as it is so easy to do. However, the hard thing to do is to step back and admit that we made a mistake. I admire you for it and will try to emulate your style.

RJ King 2 years, 2 months ago

Steve, I disagree. I love the smile. It's who he is. Observation of The Smile, coupled with consistent body language since Korea, is what made me doubt the story from the beginning.

I'll take the game face of Joe Montana or Magic (thanks Jay) anytime. Withey was a 5-year senior before his stank face appeared.

We HAVE Mason. I want the player we know Bragg can be, to include that expression of joy we so loved.

Steve Zimmerman 2 years, 2 months ago

RJ, I respect your opinion. But don't get me wrong, I love that smile. I just don't think it's a good idea to put a 'smiley face' when he is on the court. Smiling on the court doesn't show toughness. I don't think Magic smile when playing. I didn't mean Bragg had to stop smiling off the court at all. My intention was to give him a wake up call. His playing bball for KU is serious business. No more alcohol, no frat parties, or he will regret it for the rest of his life.

Jay Scott 2 years, 2 months ago

You don't think Magic smiled when playing? Given how easy it is to look that up, you've just totally invalidated anything you have to say, ever.