Tuesday, December 13, 2016

KU football’s 2017 schedule includes seven home dates

The Kansas Jayhawks take the field on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2016 at Memorial Stadium.

Year Three of the David Beaty era at the University of Kansas will come with greater expectations for the football head coach now that he has signed a contract extension and received a raise. Beaty and his Jayhawks will at least get the benefit of a home-friendly schedule.

Seven of KU’s 12 games in 2017 will be played at Memorial Stadium, as detailed in the official calendar released by the Big 12 on Tuesday, following approval from the conference’s athletic directors.

The Jayhawks open the year with back-to-back home games against Southeast Missouri State (Sept. 2) and Central Michigan (Sept. 9), before wrapping up the non-conference portion of the schedule on the road, at Ohio (Sept. 16) — a rematch of KU’s 2016 Week 2 home loss to coach Frank Solich’s Bobcats.

Kansas is right back in Lawrence the following week to open Big 12 play against West Virginia (Sept. 23) before an idle week.

From there, Kansas closes out its slate with eight consecutive Saturdays of conference action. KU’s final four home games come against Texas Tech (Oct. 7), rival Kansas State (Oct. 28), Baylor (Nov. 4) and defending Big 12 champion Oklahoma (Nov. 18).

The Jayhawks’ four league road tests will take place at Iowa State (Oct. 14), TCU (Oct. 21), Texas (Nov. 11) and Oklahoma State (Nov. 25).

The Kansas football program, of course, has failed to win a road game for seven consecutive seasons. The Jayhawks last left a visiting stadium victorious in September of 2009, with a win at UTEP.

KU hasn’t captured a victory in an opposing Big 12 venue in even longer. The program’s last conference road win came in October of 2008, at Iowa State.

The Jayhawks have lost 44 consecutive games outside of Lawrence, 41 straight true road games and 36 in a row at a Big 12 foe’s stadium.

The 2017 Big 12 calendar features a 10-team, nine-game, round-robin schedule for the seventh straight season. Next year, though, will mark the first time for a new wrinkle: the addition of a conference championship game, to be played Dec. 2. The top two teams in the final Big 12 standings will square off at AT & T Stadium, in Arlington, Texas, home of the Dallas Cowboys.

Kickoff times for KU’s 2017 schedule have yet to be announced. Dates are subject to change, as adjustments are expected to accommodate requests from national television networks. Broadcast selections for the first three weeks of the season and special dates are due to the league by June 1, according to the Big 12.

2017 KANSAS FOOTBALL SCHEDULE

Sept. 2 — Southeast Missouri State

Sept. 9 — Central Michigan

Sept. 16 — at Ohio

Sept. 23 — West Virginia

Oct. 7 — Texas Tech

Oct. 14 — at Iowa State

Oct. 21 — at TCU

Oct. 28 — Kansas State

Nov. 4 — Baylor

Nov. 11 — at Texas

Nov. 18 — Oklahoma

Nov. 25 — at Oklahoma State

Comments

Chris DeWeese 9 months, 2 weeks ago

We won't close out the season against K-state?

Brett McCabe 9 months, 2 weeks ago

So the rivalry week thing is gone - I'm guessing to allow for the conference championship in some way.

With the conference championship, now would be a good time for the Big 12 to eliminate the round-robin scheduling.

Go to 8 conference games (4 home and 4 away) to get rid on the unbalanced home/away ratio we have now. This give teams more flexibility to schedule games outside of the conference and, maybe, get more home games for everyone in the league, which helps the financials and helps the win-loss.

It's a little odd, but I think it would help all of the teams in the league.

Kyle Rohde 9 months, 2 weeks ago

No way are they backing off from the round robin and 9 conference games. The other leagues, except the SEC, have gone up to 9 in the name of better SOS.

Brett McCabe 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Also, so that you guys know that I practice what I preach......

In addition to our season tickets, I called last week and ordered a single Coach's Corner season ticket for something like $100. Two things I'll do: at Select A Seat, I'm picking the worst seat in the stadium and then I'm framing those beautiful tickets.

Kyle Rohde 9 months, 2 weeks ago

I am renewing my tickets for the 17th year in a row (4 as a student) and I'll actually be able to make it to 3 of the games. My wife is a Nebraska alum and we also have Husker football season tickets, so when there's a conflict, we are going to Lincoln but there's three games next year I can make it to. Haven't been to a game since the '14 season and have donated all my tickets to Big Brothers Big Sisters since.

Jim Wilburn 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Be that KU has 7 home games, the schedule will be still be grueling for a rebuilding and improving football program. I can see KU opening up with a win against SEMO, but although C. Michigan finished a credible 6-6 they defeated Oklahoma St. at Stillwater in the '16 season. In addition to Ohio finished with a 7-5/6 record, and KU still needs a bigger size O-lineman and D-bakers to stand up against the old Tom Osburn/Nebraksa style of the Bobcats.KU MIGHT have a chance against Tx. Tech at home next year, but the defense MUST be ready for radical changes as what was thrown at them this year. I do not foresee KU winning AT Ames, Austin, or in Stillwater next year, yet this maybe the year that KU finally get the better hand of TCU (even at Ft. Worth). Hosting Baylor under a new coach will be interesting - will Baylor still have to fight off its off field stigma of events that cost the career of Art Briles and others.KU would have been better off playing k-state at the end, but we have played the cats before in October (as in 2007 where we won). I know that my thoughts are EXTREMELY PREMATURE. I do applaud KU giving Beaty an extension, but with 2017 looming at this point reminds me that we as KU fans will need more patience for Beaty and his program. With that said I am confident that winning seasons, bowl games, and conf. title contention is in the horizon for the KANSAS FOOTBALL program. ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!