Saturday, December 3, 2016

Jerod Haase: Return to Allen Fieldhouse was ‘an emotional day’

Stanford head coach Jerod Haase smiles during a Kansas run in the second half on Saturday, Dec. 3, 2016 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Stanford coach Jerod Haase knew that Saturday would be an emotional day.

Returning to a city and an arena in which he was beloved as one of the most popular Jayhawks of the 1990s, Haase brought his strong-but-unspectacular Stanford squad to KU’s campus on Saturday afternoon and went home with something he never had experienced before — a loss in Allen Fieldhouse.

“It was certainly an emotional day,” Haase admitted after the 89-74 victory by No. 4 Kansas. “My emotions right now are more frustrated that we didn’t perform at a higher level, but I am also very proud of the way our guys performed.”

After being introduced by the public address announcer as the head coach of Stanford, Haase received a hero’s welcome from the 16,300 fans in KU’s home gym. The ovation started much louder than any other visiting coach would get and proceeded to swell from there until Haase acknowledged it with a humble wave and smile.

“I think I will probably remember the first time at shoot-around today when I walked into the arena and saw what it looks like,” Haase recalled. “It looks phenomenal. It has a little bit of a different feel than when I played, to be honest. But they have done a great job keeping it up and making it pristine. And the sound on the scoreboard works pretty well, too. It was loud.”

KU coach Bill Self said he coached his guys up on the career of Haase so they would be prepared to appreciate Saturday’s moment. Haase certainly found some appreciation in it himself, particularly the pregame video that featured a couple of Haase highlights.

“I think Mike Lickert, who’s in charge of the video stuff, is a good friend of mine so he probably felt bad and wanted to put me in there,” Haase joked. “Coach Self said before the game it was a conscious decision for them to put me up there and I certainly appreciate it.”

Asked if he was surprised by the welcome his head coach received, Stanford junior Reid Travis laughed it off.

“No, not at all,” he said. “Right when we got off the plane, people were running to shake his hand. Like someone was telling me on the plane ride over here, he’s a legend. You definitely saw it with the ovation.”

Hot hand

KU’s 12-of-22 performance from three-point range on Saturday marked the third consecutive game that the Jayhawks had topped 50 percent from behind the arc.

Devonte’ Graham led the way with five triples, while Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (3), Frank Mason III (2) and Lagerald Vick (2) also each made multiple three-pointers.

The Jayhawks are 39-of-69 from three-point range in their last three games and above 40 percent (69-of-169) as a team for the season.

“Everyone can shoot,” Mykhailiuk said after the win. “Some days it is one guy, other days it can be another guy. We’re not worried about our shooting, we’re just worried about defense.”

Free throw woes continue

The Jayhawks shot just 13-of-22 from the free throw line on Saturday, good for 59.1 percent, which brought their season total below 60 percent.

Kansas now has made 104 of 174 free throw attempts this season (.598), which, Self admitted, was a concern but not one he would focus on too much.

“We haven’t shot free throws very well as a group, obviously,” Self said. “We didn’t get some of our better free throw shooters a lot of free throws today. But free throws, to me, is something you work on but it’s also something (that) the more you talk about it the more it becomes a mental thing so that doesn’t register with me on how well we played or how well we didn’t play.”

This and that...

Kansas now leads the all-time series with Stanford, 9-3, but Saturday’s KU victory snapped a two-game losing streak to the Cardinal... The Jayhawks are now 7-1 to start a season for the 10th time under Bill Self.... KU’s nation’s-best homecourt winning streak now sits at 46 games.... KU’s 29 bench points marked the highest total of the season, while the Jayhawks’ nine turnovers marked a season low.... Frank Mason’s 20-point outing moved him into 30th place on KU’s all-time scoring list, moving him past Eric Chenowith (1,281) and Jo Jo White (1,286) with 1,289 career points to date.

By the Numbers: Kansas 89, Stanford 74.

By the Numbers: Kansas 89, Stanford 74.

— See what people were saying about the game during KUsports.com's live coverage.

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Stanford

Comments

Barry Weiss 6 months, 3 weeks ago

well, coach may not be worried about our FT shooting, but I am. :)

Matthew Roesner 6 months, 3 weeks ago

In the 2003 Championship game between KU and Syracuse, KU shot just 12 of 30 for 40% from FT, losing the game 81-78 in a game that would have been won if KU had shot over 50% from FT.

Kit Duncan 6 months, 3 weeks ago

When Coach says he isn't worried, you can bet he is.

Humpy Helsel 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Maybe we can be the first D-1 team with a higher 3-point average than free throw percentage!

Jill Harper 6 months, 3 weeks ago

I am definitely concerned about the free throw shooting - every year it is an issue and this year it is even worse - if a team would keep it close all they would have to do at the end is hack us to win

Bryce Landon 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Jerod Haase was a class act the entire time he was at Kansas. If any player who didn't go to a Final Four deserved to play in it, it was definitely him. I wish him nothing but the best the rest of this season at Stanford.

RJ King 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Agree. I credit Harry Potter and "Floor Burns" with giving my son the curiosity and desire to read. That loss to Arizona was by far the most stunning blow of tournament exits. Jared was the only starter of that group NOT headed to the NBA, yet he played as if everything was on the line. Stanford is a great place for him to land. The Pac-12 is relevant and gives him a chance to make his mark.

Bryce Landon 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I wonder how the fans at Cal feel about Haase for leaving their program for KU after KU beat Cal in the 1993 NCAA Tournament, and now coaching at rival Stanford.

RJ King 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Well, I'm acquainted with Roxy Bernstein (now Pac-12 and ESPN talent), his freshman roommate. Jarod lost his Dad and his coach, Lou Campanelli that year. Cal's program was headed South, and Roy was a father figure. The players certainly understood. As for the fans - well, Bay Area sport fandom is lukewarm compared to other regions. There are die-hard Raider fans, and passionate, but friendly Warrior and Giants fans. College, not so much.

Bryce Landon 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I knew his dad had died during his freshman year at Cal, but I didn't know about the coaching situation at the time. Just now reading about it on Wikipedia.

Patrick Bryant 6 months, 2 weeks ago

Probably feel like we feel about Francamp leaving KU and now doing well @ WSU. Don't give it much thought until someone prompts me to think about it.

Steve Corder 6 months, 3 weeks ago

Again, KU is a class act, as I recall how they responded to Buddy Hield's and the OU team last season.

Mike Tackett 6 months, 3 weeks ago

My son and I were at the Arizona game, in Birmingham, AL. I'm still shocked. Not many people knew JH was playing with a broken wrist, if not broken, really banged up shooting hand. Starting lineup had four #1 NBA picks, AZ had 2-3 as well.

Titus Canby 6 months, 2 weeks ago

That AZ game is the angriest I've ever been over any sporting event. If Haase didn't have the injured wrist, we win that game. He wouldn't have let us lose.

Beate Williams 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I had just moved to Galveston and went to a bar in Houston to see the game. The drive back to Galveston was a blur, ended up I was stopped for speeding and didn't realize I was driving 90 mph. I had gotten as a gift, from the KU Med Ctr., a basketball signed by the players of that team, it was the only thing I wanted as a going away gift because I wanted a ball signed by the nat'l champions, I still can't believe we lost that game. If JH had not been injured we would have won. Paul almost got it done, but he needed a Haase to finish it...

Also agree with Jill, if we had shot a decent free throw percentage against Syracuse, the second worse lost, we would have won that game. Free throws are important, particularly in March and April.

Marius Rowlanski 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I thoroughly enjoyed watching highlights of JH while he was here at Kansas. I bet he would still have the record for floor burns iif such records were kept.

If it were true that Bill Self wasn't concerned about free-throw shooting, I would be slightly amazed at his cavalier attitude. As noted above, free-throw shooting has cost us at least one national championship.