Friday, August 5, 2016

Charles Baldwin — another former Alabama football player — transferring to KU

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

While the Kansas football team opened preseason camp this week, its coaches have been just as busy off the field, building the roster for the future.

On Friday, for the second time in less than 24 hours, KU landed a former Alabama player, via transfer.

The day after receiver Daylon Charlot announced he’d join the Jayhawks, 247Sports reported offensive lineman Charles Baldwin will also soon head to Lawrence.

Unlike Charlot, who left the Crimson Tide on his terms, Baldwin, a standout in the junior college ranks, didn’t get a chance to stick around in Tuscaloosa. Alabama dismissed the 6-foot-5, 305-pound junior tackle in May for a “violation of team rules.”

Baldwin enrolled at Alabama and participated in spring football before the undisclosed infraction severed his relationship with the powerhouse program.

Rivals ranked Baldwin, who played previously for ASA College, as a five-star prospect, and the No. 2 junior college recruit in the Class of 2016.

According to a report from CBS Sports, Baldwin was expected to compete for a starting spot on Alabama’s offense line at right tackle. However, he couldn’t stay atop the depth chart during spring practices.

247Sports reported Baldwin received a scholarship offer from KU on Monday and found out Thursday he’d been admitted to the school.

“Kansas is excited for me to come in and I’m excited to go there,” Baldwin said. “I’m going to learn the playbook and work hard this season and then it will be time to rock and roll next year.”

As he referenced, Baldwin wouldn’t be eligible to suit up for the Jayhawks this fall, due to NCAA transfer rules. The lineman told 247Sports he had spoken with head coach David Beaty and O-line coach Zach Yenser this week, leading up to his decision.

“I’ve built a real good connection with them,” Baldwin said. “I appreciate them giving me a second chance to play the sport I love. They’ve been honest with me the whole process.”

As a sought-after junior college recruit, Baldwin had offers from Georgia, Mississippi State, Michigan State, Virginia Tech and South Carolina, as well.

On Friday afternoon in an interview with Jayhawk Slant, Baldwin said he wants to make an impact at KU.

“I’m going in with a chip on my shoulder and I know this is my last shot,” he said. “I’m just grateful for the opportunity they are giving me. I plan on holding up my part of the bargain and helping them win some football games.”

Comments

Steve Macy 3 years, 4 months ago

Interesting, but when they are actually on the field I will celebrate. RCJH

Karen Mansfield-Stewart 3 years, 4 months ago

I agree Steve. I'm a little more skeptical now, but hoping for the best. Most people deserve a second chance and I hope this winds up as a great fit.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 4 months ago

A lot of coaches get burned providing second changes...Briles, Weise...

Jeremy D. Morris 3 years, 4 months ago

The first Alabama transfer didn't have any behavioral/discipline issue so let's not conflate the two players situations.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 4 months ago

Yes, but this is the 4th time he decommitted from 'Bama.

Either way, I'm still hopeful that they'll both workout fabulously, but then I also started out optimistic about our last 2 coaches as well.

Brian Wilson 3 years, 4 months ago

Welcome Aboard Charles Baldwin! Everyone deserves second chances, welcome to Lawrence, KS, you will love it here, and I wish you the best of luck and can bring things together and be successful and help us build our football program.

Suzi, I agree but most of them aren't 5 start prospects. But clear some air for Charles, here is the speculation from the web but who cares lets give the kids a chance. From what I read he had no prior issues.

From the media on the web:

"Well, that was short lived. After being one of the most coveted Junior College recruits in the country, the 5-star offensive tackle has already been kicked out of Alabama. It's a little odd, as nothing I have seen has ever mentioned any character or academic concerns associated with Baldwin"

Kevin Robert Fest 3 years, 4 months ago

Im leary of the "violation of team rules" guys. Did he break simple rules more than once or break one rule one time that was big enough to get him off the team. Beaty had a lot of guys that couldn't stay on the team because of "Team rules" now he is bringing in a guy from another program that has the same problem. Hmmmm. He was only at Alabama a couple of months before he was let go. Hoping this isn't the start of a bad trend for Beaty so desperate for talent that he brings in problem players from other programs for a 2nd chance while kicking bad apples off his own team. Sincerely hope it works out for KU

William Swinton-Ginsberg 3 years, 4 months ago

He was dismissed for smoking weed.. Not even in the same universe as what happened with Briles at Baylor

Len Shaffer 3 years, 4 months ago

How do you know that's what happened, William? If you're right about that, I have no concerns. It's ridiculous that pot is still illegal anyway, and players should have the right to do what they can to help deal with the pain of playing a tough sport.

Kevin Robert Fest 3 years, 4 months ago

Certainly need O line help hope other 4-5* O linemen want to play with him.

Chris DeWeese 3 years, 4 months ago

Word may be getting out that Beaty and his staff are great to work with. Just maybe?

Dirk Medema 3 years, 4 months ago

Guessing Tony Hull's LA roots are more than paying dividends.

Noel Graham 3 years, 4 months ago

What violation would get one kicked off the Alabama football team? We know getting caught smoking weed in a car while in possession of a stolen firearm is not worthy of punishment.

Steve Jacob 3 years, 4 months ago

I think what happened is both Alabama players needed a scholarship quick to be eligible to play in 2017, KU was one of the few schools that had scholarships at this late stage, plus Alabama probably will not let you go to another SEC school.

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 4 months ago

I agree with Steve, Karen, and Suzi. While I hope that Baldwin will turn out to be a good addition, our track record with such transfers has not been good. I do agree, however, that the case involving Charlot is clearly different and would appear to have a higher degree of success. In any event, I compliment Coach Beaty and the staff for trying to bring KU back to respectability. They have a huge task on their hands, so let's give them our full support.

Richard Duran 3 years, 4 months ago

What did he do to get kicked out of an SEC school? Is he gonna break into a house and never play a down? I can't get excited about this guy.

Kevin Robert Fest 3 years, 4 months ago

Very true Saban kept guys with a gun in their car but Baldwin is let go for something far less egregious? Something is not right not like he was some charity case hes a 5 * and according to reports a top rated O lineman and hadn't even played a down for the team no punishment no 2nd chance just gone? Either Saban needed the spot for someone else or he just has 5* O linemen in spades.

Greg Ledom 3 years, 4 months ago

Coach has given me no reason not to trust him. And so I will trust him on this one as well. And if you don't think the kid will be gone if he messes up here, your wrong. Beaty will cut bait quicker than the guy could hail an Uber ride. Trust in Coach that the dude deserves a second chance, that they did the homework to understand the situation, talked honestly with the kid (don't mess up again), and then and only then decided to offer. Welcome Mr. Baldwin! Rock Chalk!

David Robinett 3 years, 4 months ago

If he keeps tokin' he will be too chill to be effective in his role as a big nasty

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 4 months ago

Good comment, Greg. I am impressed with Coach Beaty and his staff. I hope that they can transfer their enthusiasm into wins because I know that they are working very hard to make it happen. Gut feelings don't particularly count for much typically, but I just have a hunch that he will be successful.