Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Svi Mykhailiuk confirms he’s returning to KU for junior season

Kansas guard Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (10) puts up a three over Texas Tech guard Devaugntah Williams (0) during the second half, Saturday, Feb. 27, 2016 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University sophomore guard Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk took to Twitter on Tuesday to announce he would be returning to KU for his junior season.

“Coach and I been talking and I decided that I’m not gonna test and I’m excited to spend my junior year as a Jayhawk. Rock Chalk,” Mykhailiuk wrote on Twitter.

He confirmed in a Facebook message it indeed was his tweet and his status for next season was official. KU officials also confirmed the report was true.

— Check back for more later on KUsports.com.

None by Sviat Mykhailiuk

Comments

Steve Macy 4 years, 1 month ago

This is good news. sometimes it is what you hold on to as much as what you bring in RCJH

Corey Sparks 4 years, 1 month ago

The last two days have been great! November can't come soon enough

W Keith Swinehart II 4 years, 1 month ago

Svi's bigger, stronger. He's ready to really shine.

Jay Scott 4 years, 1 month ago

Wow. Can't imagine a team with a match up advantage anywhere. The lineup combination options are dizzying.....

Dirk Medema 4 years, 1 month ago

Absolutely fantastic news.

What are the chances of Svi moving into the starting lineup with Graham becoming a super-sub? Eventually subbing in 10 minutes for each or 4 players at 30. Vick would get some minutes especially early in the year and I could see some 4 guard sets too but generally speaking....

That being said it would still be nice to get another guard even if it's this years Vick to develop for the future. Maybe the pg that's leaving duke.

Jay Scott 4 years, 1 month ago

You're likely onto something with the 4 players at 30 mins thing. Who starts might be less relevant.

Thornton OR Holden might be good pickups for 2017-18. Whatever happens with the 3 scholarships left will be depth and longer term. A player like Barry or Pryor would be hard to find minutes with Vick waiting to get time.

John Boyle 4 years, 1 month ago

Let's make Mason the super sub. Graham is a better player.

Jay Scott 4 years, 1 month ago

Let's go with whoever is feeling it...and what the match ups dictate...

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 1 month ago

None, Svi can sub for Mason, Graham, and Jackson and he'll probably be closer to 25 mpg than 30 mpg. Vick will get a few minutes as well.

Jay Scott 4 years, 1 month ago

You could be right but if any player would benefit from the affirmation of starting it's Svi. He's the least sure of his talent of the 4.

Gerry Butler 4 years, 1 month ago

We just became even more dangerous. ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Danny Hernandez 4 years, 1 month ago

Josh has to beat Svi and vice versa, either way great news

Jay Scott 4 years, 1 month ago

They'll be on the floor together 1/2 the game. Other teams will have to beat them.

Steve Macy 4 years, 1 month ago

The off season! Everything is like an unopened presents under the tree.
I can't wait to see Dwight Coleby, a big body, and relatively new to basketball, he can be a presence down low, either at the 4 or 5. I doubt if he will start, but will get some time.

Jay Scott 4 years, 1 month ago

Bragg and Lucas will likely play 50-60 minutes between them.That likely leaves 20-30 for AZ, Coleby, Lightfoot and smaller sets with Svi, Jackson, Graham and Mason on the floor together.

Steve Macy 4 years, 1 month ago

Maybe so, but a mature body to back up the two spots will be important. To some extent, everybody but Landon, and Landon some, was pushed around by players such as Williams from WV, if Dwight can give as little as 5 or as much as 20 minutes in games where he is needed, will be helpful. This is based on how healthy he is, longer than Traylor, stronger than either Diallo or Hunter, he would be another tool in the tool box. Udoka, might be too raw, but a fascinating prospect.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 1 month ago

And we're all but guaranteed to have AZ for 2 years because of his age, or lack thereof. He's another "Svi".

Dirk Medema 4 years, 1 month ago

Isn't Dwight recovering from an injury during the season? Obviously not much press about it while he's redshirting, but I seem to recall hearing about it.

Hopefully, he's fully recovered by Late Night, but not sure with the quiet around him.

Steve Macy 4 years, 1 month ago

Torn ACL, had surgery last September, I think.
With the run to the Elite 8, and all the other news, no further info. Should be some updates as next season nears.

Brett McCabe 4 years, 1 month ago

Made my night. I could see this being a major breakout season for Svi and I'm thrilled that we don't have to worry about whether he's going or staying. If I log onto this site tomorrow and hear the same about Bragg I may have to pinch myself.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 1 month ago

Svi seems to me to be in a similar position to freshman Perry. You got glimpses of the ability early in the year, but it wasn't until the last couple weeks to month that he really started putting it together. Even then, it was just peeking out of reserve minutes, but it was the first that I sensed that all the potential we had heard about was really starting to come together.

And No, I don't think this just because they are a similar size.

Jay Scott 4 years, 1 month ago

Don't tell Joe that they play a different position... He'll blow a gasket...

Eliott Reeder 4 years, 1 month ago

Hey Jay, I used to get pretty annoyed with your constant chicken little fights but you've stopped antagonizing people for the most part and have been sticking to solid points and analysis lately. You should really get off Joe's nutz on this topic, you have made your point, four hundred plus times, and by now the repetition is just tiresome and boring. My two cents...

Jay Scott 4 years, 1 month ago

After Joe's histrionics that Perry is a 3 because he's the same size as Harrison Barnes, he doesn't get a pass..

Joseph Bullock 4 years, 1 month ago

Start the 'pinch process', Brett! Smiles Dirk, Graham will start. And Bragg loves College, so I don't think he is going anywhere, or even testing the waters. He will step right in for Perry! There is some All Star Game that Lightfoot just got invited to! Does anyone know the name of that game, and when it is? I want to take a real good look at him. I think it is a good game to play in, because Terrance Fergason is playing,-I'm not sure who else is! Rock Chalk, my Hawk friends!

Joseph Bullock 4 years, 1 month ago

By the way, my money is on Vick playing a lot more than most people think he will. He was probably the best defender in the team, this past season, but he had so much to learn, and needed to get stronger! As far as who else we get, that could be real interesting, with who is left, and who can transfer!

Dirk Medema 4 years, 1 month ago

Who we get with the remain scholarships doesn't necessarily require a transfer, because it could be someone like Dwight who needed to redshirt to become eligible, learn the system, and be prepared to fill in behind the bigs (guards) that are graduating. Or like Vick, who came a year early, knowing he wasn't likely to play, but that he would have a year to learn, and grow, and be that much more prepared to compete with the next stud, because, yes, they do know where they're going to school and the part of the list we start recruiting from.

Those guys are really nice insurance policies for when the elites go elsewhere. That way, we're not like UK in the Robert Morris year when they scrambled through the summer and ended up with no PG.

To some extent that is Duke this year, now that Thornton has decided to transfer. They do have Frank Jackson, but it sounds like he is more of a 1.5, and they don't really seem to have much of anyone behind him, or even ready to sub for him. That's a lot of pressure on a freshman PG. IMO, it's a joke that they are the #1 team to start the offseason.

$0.02

Steve Zimmerman 4 years, 1 month ago

Great!! Are we ready to kick some Easties punks' arzes on Champions Classic..? I can't wait!!!

Joe Ross 4 years, 1 month ago

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition! Good for Svi AND Kansas. Kid has a head on his shoulders.

Janet Olin 4 years, 1 month ago

Hallelujah and Amen. Thank you, Svi! Rock Chalk.

Harlan Hobbs 4 years, 1 month ago

Dittos to everybody. There are so many "playing time" options, KU will have a lot to choose from.

I don't see anyone dislodging Devonte from the starting point guard slot. Svi acknowledged the other day that he isn't a point guard, and I doubt that Josh will get more than a passing look at it given the style that Coach Self likes to play. Of course, Frank can fill in nicely at the point if necessary, but his value seems to peak at the off guard spot.

Eventually, based upon history, Coach will probably try to have defined roles for who will start, and who will come off the bench. Right now, my prediction is that the initial starting five will be Landen, Carlton, Josh, Frank, and Devonte.

With scholarships still available, things could change a little, but the coaching staff has always given experience the first crack at the starting lineup, except when you have a clearly outstanding freshman like Josh.

Will love seeing Svi competing with Josh. By returning, he certainly isn't shrinking from it which, as someone said the other day, shows his heart and competitive spirit.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 1 month ago

The way that Coach talks to Frank about taking responsibility for the offense leads me to consider him the point more than Graham, though as you say Devonte is more of a pure PG than Frank. My question of Svi starting is from that perspective, not of him being the pg.

That being said, you do have me wondering if Josh has a bit of Pippen-esque point forward in him?

Bryce Landon 4 years, 1 month ago

Wise decision, Svi. Looking forward to seeing more trifectas in 2016-2017.

Pius Waldman 4 years, 1 month ago

Trying to pick starters and roles is fun but really things can happen between now and November. Example When Diallo signed and most of us said boy he will be a star and look what happened. So my comments will mainly involve about my thinking about the players. Vick looks like a guy that can do well with more playing time. Seemed like he always got a trey while getting minutes when the team was way ahead. Look for Bragg to do much better. New guys I just will wait and see. Lucas should gain confidence with his play last season. Graham just might become the leader and guide the others. Svi will get the opportunity to show improvement and chances are great that he will.

Austin Lopez 4 years, 1 month ago

I'm excited for next season!! Lets Rock out Rock Chalk!! Glade svis coming back!!

Danny Hernandez 4 years, 1 month ago

I'd like a game changer so a "Nova" couldn't play a defense and take our inside game away, ala Perry Ellis.

Daniel Cummings 4 years, 1 month ago

Sincere congrats Svi! The Jayhawk Nation is excited (and relieved) to hear you'll be back for another year and we're anxious to see continued great strides forward with you.