Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Mykhailiuk reveals on Twitter he’s coming back for junior season

Self says Svi to play for his country's national team this summer

Kansas guard Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk (10) puts up a three before Kansas State forward Wesley Iwundu (25) during the first half, Saturday, Feb. 20, 2016 at Bramlage Coliseum in Manhattan, Kan.

Twitter is quickly becoming a friend of Kansas University’s basketball program.

Sophomore guard Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk took to the online social networking service Tuesday afternoon to announce he would be returning to KU for his junior season.

Svi’s proclamation appeared on iPhones and Internet browsers alike a mere 22 hours after prize senior high school prospect Josh Jackson tweeted his intention to become a Jayhawk.

“Coach and I (have) been talking and I decided that I’m not gonna test and I’m excited to spend my junior year as a Jayhawk. Rock Chalk,” Mykhailiuk tweeted at 5:30 p.m.

KU coach Bill Self explained Svi’s reasoning in a phone conversation with the Journal-World.

“I think the way the rules are set up gives everybody an opportunity to test (by attending NBA Combine if invited and one individual workout) but in Svi’s situation ... what he shared with me is no matter where he would test at right now, he knows a year from now would give him a much better chance to have a career,” Self said. “The way he said it was, ‘Coach, I don’t need to look into it because I know I’ll be much better next year.’’’

Mykhailiuk, who averaged 5.4 points a game while logging 12.8 minutes per game in 35 games, will turn 19 on June 10.

“We know Svi’s ceiling is high, but he hasn’t probably had the opportunity nor the consistency to show that yet in large part because of Brannen (Greene) being here. Also he came in here with (Kelly) Oubre and Greene and Wayne (Selden) and playing Frank (Mason III) and Devonté (Graham) a majority of the time together there probably have not been enough minutes nor the time for him to probably demonstrate what he can do,” Self said.

The 6-foot-8 Mykhailiuk, with Self’s permission, is planning on working out with one of Ukraine’s national teams this summer. Svi doesn’t know yet which team it would be or which international tourney he’d compete in for Ukraine.

“He said, ‘I am going to play for my national team this summer. I want to go there and really be aggressive and be a lead guy as opposed to a guy just playing minutes off the bench. I want to come back and want to be ready to hit the ground running in the fall,’’’ Self said.

It’s almost certain Svi would test the NBA draft waters after his junior season.

“Next year obviously would be the year in my opinion would be his time to go ahead and look into it,” Self said.

Scholarship situation: KU currently has 10 players on scholarship if one assumes Carlton Bragg Jr., is staying for a sophomore season and Cheick Diallo is leaving after one campaign. They include perimeter players Mykhailiuk, Mason, Graham, Jackson and Lagerald Vick, plus bigs Bragg, Dwight Coleby, Udoka Azubuike, Mitch Lightfoot and Landen Lucas.

That leaves three available scholarships, four if Bragg decides to turn pro.

“I don’t know,” Self said, asked how many more he’d like to sign. “A lot depends on Carlton’s situation. We could maybe take one more and see what happens with transfers. I’m really liking the way our roster is taking shape,” Self added.

Bragg hinted strongly on Twitter on Tuesday night his decision was coming soon.

“You will know tomorrow,” Bragg tweeted to a fan who asked the Cleveland native if he was “coming back or not?”

It led to speculation Bragg could make his intentions known at tonight’s KU basketball banquet, which is sold out. That Twitter interaction between Bragg and the fan, by the way, had been deleted by late Tuesday night.

Diallo not on campus: KU banquet goers should not expect to see freshman Diallo tonight. He’s been out of state working out for the draft and not expected to be in attendance for the event.

“We don’t anticipate Cheick being back (for soph season). (It’s) not official yet, but we anticipate Cheick staying in the draft,” Self said. Diallo, who is considered a possible late first-round pick, is currently listed as the sixth pick in the second round by draftexpress.com.

More on Josh: ESPN’s Jeff Borzello has offered their opinions on Josh Jackson’s commitment to Kansas.

From Borzello: “I think he sees he can start right away at Kansas. He can slide right into the small forward spot. He sees what they did with Andrew Wiggins. He ended up being the No. 1 pick in the draft. I think Josh sees himself in the same mold — two-way player who can defend, score. I think Kansas is the perfect fit for him. I think that’s the place he can make the most impact right away.”

Ferguson to announce: Terrance Ferguson, a 6-6 senior shooting guard from Dallas, who is ranked No. 12 nationally by Rivals.com, will announce his college choice today, ESPN reports. Arizona is considered the favorite with KU, Baylor, Maryland, North Carolina and N.C. State also on his list.

Ferguson committed to Alabama in the fall but reopened his commitment and has since visited Arizona. He last week said he wanted to visit North Carolina but has changed his mind and instead will announce today.

Comments

Austin Lopez 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm excited for next season!! Lets Rock out Rock Chalk!! Glade svis coming back!!

Henry Joseph Hofmeister 2 years, 6 months ago

thanks svi, i really wanted to see you break out as a superstar with us instead of nba.

Austin Lopez 2 years, 6 months ago

I would love to get T Furg two, even though Arizona seems to be the leader hopefully coach self can pull of something special and get T Furg.

Andy Hess 2 years, 6 months ago

His friend committed to Baylor and Arizona is loaded with guards. I'd expect he goes to BU. Just a feeling.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 6 months ago

It all comes down to minutes. With Vick and Svi returning, I'm not sure having another 2/3 would help team chemistry though Ferguson is a big catch. Ferg was once a KU lock in the fall then committed to Alabama.

I won't cry if he goes elsewhere.

David McGee 2 years, 6 months ago

Little to no chance of getting Ferguson. Josh Jackson took Selden's spot which is the same spot Ferguson would have played. 95% certain he'll be going to U of A.

Steve Zimmerman 2 years, 6 months ago

Ferguson is one heck of an athlete, he'll be very productive everywhere he goes. All the best for him. Svi made a great decision. Thumbs up!

David McGee 2 years, 6 months ago

Also I guess Ferguson thinks we're the Duckhawks lol. Check the emoji he used to represent us. Pretty cute. http://247sports.com/Bolt/Terrance-Ferguson-planning-to-announce-44775178

Joe Ross 2 years, 6 months ago

Two different schools of thought. One wise. The other much less so. Cheick could really boost his payday by another year on campus, but I guess when they said "Free Diallo", that's exactly what happened.

John Pritchett 2 years, 6 months ago

Almost word for word what I was going to post. Cheick's decision makes no sense to me. I hope it works out for him.

Mike Riches 2 years, 6 months ago

It's a little surprising to me that the coaches and the media are so certain that Cheick is gone. One point of the combine/workout is to get solid, unbiased advice from the NBA. Cheick will almost certainly be told that his draft stock is likely to rise dramatically if he stays in school (what we all see right now). So the fact that Coach Self and others are so certain he's going, suggests to me there was something (or a series of somethings) that we were not privy to. I'd love to know what went down.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

It's not hard to imagine that college didn't appeal to Diallo. It's not for everyone. He possibly would never have done one season if he didn't have to.

Mike Riches 2 years, 6 months ago

Then why not hire an agent, or at least announce the intention to do so (a la BG)? The way Diallo announced made it sound like he was testing the waters, Self makes it sound like it's a done deal...that's what doesn't add up for me...

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

If he's left school, as suggested, that's a sign he's gone.

Brett McCabe 2 years, 6 months ago

EMAW: you aren't suggesting that most OAD's would go directly to the NBA if they could, are you? That's cutting edge insight right there.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

Brett you poor deranged thing. A third grader could tell that nothing of the sort was implied. I sincerely hope that there aren't several Brett McCabes in the area. Someone is humiliated by the comments you make if there are. Maybe a picture of yourself as your avatar, out of respect to others?

Dan Mangan 2 years, 6 months ago

Doesn't it make sense that the same path might not work for all players? Given the rawness of Diallo I think jumping now is maximizing his pay...also he might think he will develop better under the NBA's system. We may not agree but it still might be best for him.

Glad Svi is coming back. I think he will take a big leap next year in his play.

Joe Ross 2 years, 6 months ago

But the point is that another year on campus would make him much less raw.

Mike Greer 2 years, 6 months ago

Joe, Diallo coming back for another year at KU only works in his favor IF he makes considerable strides towards being a better player. Another year of sitting the pine and looking lost on the hardwood could be a potential disaster for him. He has to know where he stands and what strides he made over the past season and how much more he thinks he can improve and how much playing time he'll get next season. Granted the potential for reward is great, and I agree 100% with you on that, but the potential for a flop is almost as great. What if, just what if, raw talent is all there is for this kid, another year of colligate ball will expose that in very certain terms. Sometimes you're just better off taking what you can get when you can get it.

Joe Ross 2 years, 6 months ago

I have no reason to believe he wouldnt make strides. Every big man who's played here has boosted his stock with the notable exception of Cliff Alexander, and financial goings-on with his family impeded his progress. Cole Aldrich, Sasha Kaun, Darnell Jackson, Darrell Arthur, Jeff Withey, Thomas Robinson, Markieff Morris, Marcus Morris and so on...

The track record speaks for itself. Big Man U

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

None of those are starters except Marcus. He wouldn't start on almost any other team.

Arthur Ankeney 2 years, 6 months ago

While I tend to agree with you, I think there's a bit more in Diallo's case. Part of me thinks he is so raw, he won't get much out of another year at the college level. The truth is, the college game and NBA game are completely different. And since he doesn't really know the intricacies of the game yet, he may benefit from investing the year in the NBA system (his ultimate goal) as opposed to spending another year trying to understand the college game that won't translate to the NBA.

Svi is very different. He has very high basketball IQ. Able to jump from international play to college play here. He will benefit from understanding three different types of basketball play and developing into a complete player in each of the three leagues.

RJ King 2 years, 6 months ago

SO glad Svi is returning!!! Smart kid. I hope he has an amazing year! I like the way our 2016-17 roster is shaping up too. But now that the chips are falling, after next season:

GUARDS/WINGS

gone (or likely): Mason, Jackson, Svi

back: Graham (SR) Vick (JR)

BIGS

gone (or likely): Bragg, Coleby, Lucas

back: Azubuike (SO) Lightfoot (SO)

Wow. Possibly only four returning players. Sure I'd take an OAD, but we could really use a frosh transfer who would be a RS soph or an incoming 3-4 star freshman to develop.

RJ King 2 years, 6 months ago

Yay . . . you are correct. I thought he transferred after his junior year. My bad.

Tom Jones 2 years, 6 months ago

Just calm down. Self is in on a TON of excellent class of 2017 guys. We'll be fine.

RJ King 2 years, 6 months ago

Um . . . I am calm. I just meant "wow" as in, I actually did the math for the first time. Four, and now actually five, just seemed like a very small number of returning players. I have full confidence in Self. I was just commenting on my own personal realization. You calm down.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 6 months ago

Take a deep breath Tom. No one is even talking about the 2017 class yet. We've done pretty well with transfers who have a year to practice and learn the system.

Brian Wilson 2 years, 6 months ago

I think we will sign at least one more if not two players. We are still recruiting bigs for next season and I am thinking we will get a least one more:

Marcus Bolden
Jarret Allen
Taurean Thompson

Bolden and Allen are arguably one and dones and higher rated than Udoka. Thompson would have to stick around a couple of years.

And I am not so sure that Cheick won't be back. I think he is stuck between a rock and a hard place. First off I wonder if his grades aren't so good. I'm not sure he is a very good student. Second, most importantly, he couldn't win a starting spot at KU, so what make him think there is a spot anywhere in the NBA for him. He may be forced into the D league. If he takes any bad combine performance into the draft I am thinking his stock will be going to down. So the advice will be for him to comeback to school but at the same time he's not really the college student type. Should be interesting.

Greg Ledom 2 years, 6 months ago

No reason to call out Cheick on his grades or ability in that area. Your either eligible or not and he was.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

If he isn't on campus that may not be the case much longer.

RJ King 2 years, 6 months ago

I don't think Brian called him out. He was just speculating. I've had the same thoughts about Diallo, so that makes two of us. When something doesn't seem quite right, we look for possible reasons. It's not an indictment, just posing a question.

Brian Wilson 2 years, 6 months ago

thanks RJ....and yes...my bad....just speculating.

Aaron Paisley 2 years, 6 months ago

Coleby will be back, he's only a junior and not an NBA prospect. Graham is also a player who with a good enough year will be in position to test the NBA waters.

RJ King 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes, thanks. My bad. I was thinking Coleby transferred after his junior year. I am likely that situation more and more, knowing he has another year after next.

Len Shaffer 2 years, 6 months ago

Great news! As RJ says, it shows what a smart kid Svi is. Can't wait to see his improvement.

Yonatan Negash 2 years, 6 months ago

The NBA is fascinated with player potential and the unknown.

For those reasons, I completely understand why Diallo is turning pro.

Could Diallo return to college and develop, it's possible

But if he were to return than the potential and the mystic of the known could be revealed unfavorably.

In other words, what if he doesn't develop into the player some imagined him to be, than it leads to a loss of opportunity to make millions.

At the end of the day, staying in college to play ball is not for everyone because it's presents a risk many are unwilling to take.

I completely get it. If I had a son in the same situation, I would advise him to take advantage of that opportunity as well.

However, as a selfish fan of course I would have loved to see Diallo in a KU uniform next season. But hey, that's me being a selfish fan.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

Well stated. The willingness of some to criticism the decisions of others is arrogant and stupid.

Vox Populi 2 years, 6 months ago

replace "decision" with "comment/opinion" and you've basically discredited 75% of your posts...

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

Pick a post that I've disagreed with and take up their position. It's a little tougher than copying someone else's name and picture.

Vox Populi 2 years, 6 months ago

I am. I'm taking up the thousands of posts from thousands of users who think you treat others on this board with contempt and disrespect. I guess we're all just wondering why you feel the need to treat people the way you do...

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

This from someone who copies someone's name and picture? You're concerned about "contempt and disrespect"? That's so funny it almost isn't sick.

Seriously. Pick any comment that I've challenged and argue their position. Surely you can do that. No you can't.

You might be as simple and unstable as Brett...funny how he stopped posting and you started.

Brett McCabe 2 years, 6 months ago

Yonatan, there is - of course - no Right answer, just the best answer for any individual. However, I disagree with the overall approach that you suggest. To me, I'd prefer someone who doesn't run away from a risk but instead pursues an opportunity.

If you watch the development of bigs at KU, there aren't many more sure things in athletics than the fact that, if you work, you will get significantly better.

Diallo may have personal/family/financial issues we are unaware of, but setting those possibilities aside, this looks like a clear mistake.

Like you, I'm a selfish fan but, more importantly, I think that if Diallo were to play here next year, then all boats would be lifted with the rising tide. His draft stock might even get a bigger push by playing on an even better team.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

"A rising tide lifts all boats" was a JFK justification for major across the board tax cuts.....

It's comical to see a socialist like you apply it to a situation where it fits so terribly. A better team likely means that Diallo has no more guarantee of minutes, especially if he refuses to stay within the offense, as he's shown.

JFK is laughing at you...

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 6 months ago

There is a paradox in almost all of the things Brett says. I'm (almost) always fully agreeing with his positions, then he comes off with a conclusion (socialist) completely inconsistent. JFK, and for that matter HST and FDR, would be horrified to see what has happened to their party.

If Brett identifies himself as a Commie, I wish they all held his apparent values.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm almost always sure he's a total buffoon. When I lose that perspective, he inevitably helps to find it again. I'm truly saddened that someone who knows so little and is so immature is so bent on proving it.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 6 months ago

I think that's because you two get distracted by superficial, non-constructive, rhetoric. Just concentrate what he has to say and for the most part, he's right on...or provides an interesting perspective.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

Like when he's adamant that Self and Zenger use these discussions to get advice on how to do their jobs?

Go back through his comments and read them. Buffoon is being polite.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 6 months ago

I can see Zenger reading these comments, because of his role as AD, since he is more sensitive to alum concerns, especially because of the football program. Self, who is also sensitive about those same concerns, retains enormous job security and would probably never read any of these comments. If I had the smallest idea Self ever read these comments, I would never ever post a word! I can't begin to imagine the embarrashement and/or humiliation.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

Self would be glad to know you're a fan. You should worry zero about humiliating yourself.

Rae Bricil 2 years, 6 months ago

Actually the phrase a rising tides lifts all boats was first used in Christian sermons. I find it funny that you think it is socialistic when the concept was put forth by Adam Smith stating “by pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually”. What is so wrong with helping others as one helps themselves? You don’t always have to step on people to get what you want. That said, it is apparent from these message boards that you gain daily satisfaction from putting others down so this concept may elude you.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

Rae.. Brett is a far left liberal socialist. The comment from JFK was in support of CUTTING taxes. Not socialist. Opposite things.

I'm not going to put you down for being so obviously unable to read the comment with reasonable comprehension.. See how nice I am?

Brett McCabe 2 years, 6 months ago

Since you are so nice, show me where I mentioned JFK or anything political? Also, show me where I ever remotely suggested that Zenger reads these comments for insight or instruction. For EMAW, I know you have no self control and no manners, but dude try to stay on-topic.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

Are you still in high school? Middle school? Seriously. What you do is embarrassing. It's hard to tell if your intellect or your emotional stability is more lacking.

Brett McCabe 2 years, 6 months ago

I dub thee: Subway Jared - a man who has no control over his impulses.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

Wow...that's your most intelligent thought? You're really sad.

Vox Populi 2 years, 6 months ago

I suggest Jay Bait. As in he just can't hep but bait people into arguments...

Yonatan Negash 2 years, 6 months ago

Brett -

I almost don't disagree with your thoughts. I think you're seeing it from a different angle and there is nothing wrong with that. I'd like to think we both agree, the gamble of staying in school doesn't guarantee a player from being drafted in the future. To further my thoughts, I'm not sure anything is ever guaranteed. Would also like to point out there are calculated risks one has every right to take advantage of, if that is what they choose to do.

Hypothetically speaking, if I had $1,000,000 dollars stare me in the eye waiting for me to grab it today, why wait another day?

If I don't grab the money today, I lose it.

That's a tempting and difficult choice to make, no matter the person.

You're right, there may be other variables influencing Diallo's decision making. However, it's difficult to assess those variable when unknown to us.

Mike Riches 2 years, 6 months ago

Which is a bigger gamble? To stay and lose the mystery of unknown potential? Or to go in the second round, have no guaranteed contract, and hope you don't end up in the NBDL making $25k a year? Obviously Diallo and those around him think the latter is a safer bet, but we'll all be left wondering what might have been...

Stu Libby 2 years, 6 months ago

Things really starting to look up. The roster is being solidified, and it looks pretty, pretty good. Good piece on Josh Jackson's decision on SH. Worth a read: http://www.straighthoops.com/josh_jackson_to_kansas.html

Brett McCabe 2 years, 6 months ago

Jason King was on KC radio with the worst radio host in the country, and he was pretty much gushing about Jackson. King's opinion was that Jackson is not as talented as Wiggins but that he is a better fit, and could potentially have a bigger impact in his one year. It'll be interesting to watch.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

Glad Svi is back. Seems like Diallo is turning pro. It's funny how so many understand all the factors that go into these decisions better than the players and their circle do and are so willing to condemn choices that don't please them as fans.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

Unfortunately there's no intellectual requirements, as you demonstrate every time you comment.

Austin Lopez 2 years, 6 months ago

Diallo made a mistake, what part of Diallo's game even stands out? I feel like the NBA is going to eat him up and swallow him alive. I know he was missing for some months but he looked lost on the court, in the NBA your going to be given at best 2 months to learn the sets, and Diallo couldn't learn Kansas sets in about 3 months. Man, I guess everyones in a rush to get to the NBA these days, not even caring if there polished or not.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

He looked fast, agile and even though it drove Self crazy when he took them, he made shots. He has a huge elevator. NBA scouts like his motor and physical traits. What might have them concerned is his rawness and his stubbornness. He's like a Dennis Rodman with more offensive talent.

Brett McCabe 2 years, 6 months ago

Dennis Rodman? One of the great defenders and rebounders in NBA history? But more offensive talent. Man....this I gotta' see!

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

Rodman was not considered an NBA prospect or even a college starter when he enrolled at DII SE OK State. He never had a jumper at any point. At this same point, Diallo is light years ahead.

Diallo is taller, has a longer wingspan, a higher vertical, bigger hands and is stronger. He has a jumper. Rodman did not.

Brett. If you insist on challenging every comment I make, you know that you'll end up humiliated, having a tantrum and threatening never to return. Why do you do it?

Mallory Briggans 2 years, 6 months ago

with ku losing perry jamari and mickleson to graduation and diallo seldon and greene declaring for the draft the teams of the big 12 were rejoicing with the possible demise of the mighty jayhawks.... thinking the king is dead............well not so fast my friends..........a collective DAMN !!! could be heard when josh chose kansas.......as the other 9 teams discussed 2nd place.......the clock for number 13 has started

Robert Brock 2 years, 6 months ago

Looks like Cheick will be learning how to play basic basketball in the D-League.

Austin Lopez 2 years, 6 months ago

@Jayscott Yes he has a great motor but I don't know how much it will translate to the next level, I just wish Diallo would understand coming back for a second season can do him wonders.

I think if Diallo came back for another season he would leave a better basketball player, agree???

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

If I could predict the future I'd bet more and buy more lottery tickets. He seems to have decided that college isn't for him. I can't buy the notion that a player will improve faster in college than playing professionally. Doing something full time is always a better way to excel.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 6 months ago

College seems to be a far better place to learn a trade or a place with a guy like Bill Self that takes a personal interest. The harsh reality of NBA life is ... it is a business. Players are assets that are viewed upon in a harsh reality. Only in a few rare exceptions , such as Embiid, are players given an extended break.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

Kobe is retiring this week. He was a raw kid out of high school. He got a break as did dozens of high schoolers. Diallo can always play in Europe while honing his game. If he hates college and isn't meshing with Self, why stay? The list of players who did and failed to improve to the point where they could play serious NBA minutes is long too.

Mike Greer 2 years, 6 months ago

Austin, I agree with you entirely, I think if Diallo comes back for another year he will be a better basketball player, but. What if he's better, not a super star? Perry came back and got better, and came back again and got better, and again and got even better, but his draft status is worse than Diallo's. TRob came back and got better, and then got much better, so coming back worked for him. Cole needed to come back another year but ended up in the D-league, but he had the basics. What if Diallo comes back and is still sharing time with Lucas and Bragg, or with Jackson, so what if he's better, is he better off? If he doesn't make significant gains, like move to starter and 16-18 ppg. is he going to improve his draft stock enough?

The young man has to know himself where he is and where he's headed and since this is about money, he has to know what the risk and reward will be and factor that into his decision. Let's assume he's done that and decided that if he comes back he'll in fact be a better player, but has also concluded that he won't be a starter and won't be that 16-18 ppg. guy, maybe he's concluded he may still be in the steep part of the learning curve next year. Then what? Stay 2 more years or go now when he has an opportunity. Hey, I can't make that call.

Brian Wilson 2 years, 6 months ago

The best underlying comment made by Bill is that he likes his lineup already. Everyone here seems to be saying that Udoka is raw and will need to be at KU for more that a year. I am not so sure that he will be one and done. Of course they are the best highlights but there are several Youtube videos of Az and his short game around the net looks good. And wow can he dunk and block shots. He uses his size to gain position very well. Some would say he has to develop an outside shot but it seems a lot of big players can shoot they just can't play big inside. From what I see Udoka can play inside! If Marcus Bolden or Jarret Allen don't sign with KU, and it's Az and Lucas at center, my guess is Az gets enough time on the court to develop and is the starting center by year's end.
And to the rest of the Big 12,

Welcome to the land of "Az"!!!!

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

Unless Lucas gets hurt there's virtually zero chance he isn't starting every game. He'll be on the all Big12 preseason team.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 6 months ago

Love the 'land of Az' reference. That's a keeper in my books.

After watching Az in the All-star games, I was alarmed by his horrible footwork and body positioning. The best thing Az has going for him is Landon Lucas. If those two guys mesh well personally, Lucas can teach him how to be a pro. I can see a future for Lucas as an elite level coach.

RJ King 2 years, 6 months ago

Totally agree with the prognostication of Lucas as a someday coach. The kid is articulate, mature, has the temperament, and communication skills well beyond his years. Hopefully he can play in Europe, or get a graduate assistant position to begin his career.

Aaron Paisley 2 years, 6 months ago

UA is in the same boat as Svi. He will be 17 when the season starts and HAS to be in college for 2 years just like Svi had to be here at least 2 years.

James Donnell 2 years, 6 months ago

Excited (and relieved) Svi is returning--that news is almost as good as Jackson coming on board. Svi showed flashes of greatness this season, and without Greene and Selden, we will need his 3 point shooting more than ever. Great passer and playmaker. Great court vision. And he is STILL younger than Jackson. Lots of good news in the past few days for Jayhawk fans! Now, we just need Carlton to stay...

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

He's not on any mock drafts for 2016 that I've seen. I don't think it's a big concern.

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 6 months ago

The past 24 hr news cycle has been terrific for Kansas Basketball, specifically the addition of Jackson and retention of Mykailliuk. With these two high BBIQ players, that pass well and can drive to the basket, Kansas will create all kinds of matchup nightmares when we play 4-1, which we will certainly do most of the time.

Say Lucas plays 30 mpg, my bet is self will put Bragg at the 5 for those other 10 minutes (critical games time only...not junk time), giving us a lightening quick, great passing, great handling team on the court (Mason/Graham/Mykailiuk/Jackson/Bragg). Lucas appears to be our only muscle in tight since AZ, seems to be light years away from materially helping out.

If Self does go that rout, who plays the 3 & 4 respectively? On the one hand, Jackson seems to be the best prospect with his passing skills and driving ability to play the high-low...but his poor jump shot would allow defenders to sag onto the 5 (Lucas/Bragg). Mykailiuk's superior jump shot and effective driving skills would seem to be a much better fit for the stretch 4 spot. However, Jackson's poor jump shot does not fit well with the 3 spot but that is largely offset by his defensive skills and ability to play the passing lanes.

MJ did a fair job at the 3 with an inconsistent jump shot, especially in his early years...and mid years ...and late years.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

When Mason, Graham, Jackson and Svi are on the floor together they'll all just play basketball. Positional definitions will mean much less than matchups and which player is hot. I don't know that a high/low will be the objective if this lineup is playing.

Bragg and Lucas will be on the floor together a lot too. They're both good players that can impact a game. I don't know that a high/low will be the objective if this lineup is playing. AZ and Coleby will have to work hard to get minutes. Fouls and matchups will dictate their opportunity to some degree also...

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 6 months ago

I can see the Lucas/Bragg combo on the floor about 20 mpg and the Mason/Graham/Jackson/Svi/Bragg combo at-least 12 mpg. It's going to be interesting to see how Self modifies the High-Low with this ultra-quick, ultra-fast combo. Think how the driving lanes will open!!! Seriously, what team will not cover Svi in the corner or Bragg at the elbow? Between Jackson, Mason and Graham...how may layups per game might they get?

Ryan Zimmerman 2 years, 6 months ago

no chance Bragg leaves- not unless he puts on 30 pounds of muscle this summer. no chance Diallo stays. Jackson was obviously a huge get, but not just because he's #1 but because he fills a need. Without him, Tyler Self would be seeing 10-12 a game. No offense but walk ons are walk ons and should help at practice. Theres no real reason why the most storied program in college basketball should end a recruiting season with open scholarships. Especially 3 of them. I think getting Holden is something we need to complete the missing pieces. Not sure if Canyon Barry or Pryor are reasonable gets or not, but any of those three would be at least some depth

David Robinett 2 years, 6 months ago

Svi has only had about two good games in his entire career. I really don't understand the excitement, except for his potential. But I think he would have shown us more by now if it were going to bloom.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

You've done an excellent job of summarizing how little you understand.

Ryan Zimmerman 2 years, 6 months ago

Who would you rather see on the court then? Svi, Vick or Self? Svi staying, while he may not be an all star, at least gives us some wing depth with some knowledge of the system

Rob Bedford III 2 years, 6 months ago

Svi had 7 double digit scoring games this past season with bench minutes.

Alan Dickey 2 years, 6 months ago

Yes, and Svi is trending upward. During his freshman year, he shot 31% FG and 29% 3PT. Last year, he improved significantly to 42% FG and 38% 3PT. Moreover, during his final 13 games last year, he shot 24/39 (62%) FG and 15/23 (65%) 3PT. He's likely in the middle of a nice offensive improvement curve.

Steve Macy 2 years, 6 months ago

Diallo needs to go I would guess that Coach Self will nudge him out the door if he hints to stay. He needs to go before they see his shortcomings. Best of luck to him and maybe he will fit in better in the NBA or Europe.

Ryan Zimmerman 2 years, 6 months ago

Yep. When you're projected ahead of the three that are going into the draft from your team, you've got to take your shot before it drops.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

Next year's draft looks a lot deeper.

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 6 months ago

2017 is definitely better 1-50 w/a lot of bigs filling out the top 10. I didn't see any 2/3s better Josh Jackson though.

It would be nice to pick up Michael Porter SF esp. if Bragg leaves but getting the #2 overall from Columbia MO would be make it even better.

Harlan Hobbs 2 years, 6 months ago

No offense to those who have responded since John Pritchett and Joe Ross since I am sure that your comments are just as good. However, after reading their comments, I didn't feel a need to read any further.

Their comparisons of Svi and Cheick are brilliant. It is refreshing to see such obvious maturity in Svi's thinking process. Not intended to be a knock on Cheick because everyone has to follow their own pathway. I do hope that he is successful in it.

Joe Joseph 2 years, 6 months ago

Reading between the lines of the Svi decision, it seems clear that Self is telling his guys that they better be intent on leaving if they officially decide to "test the waters." This explains why he keeps reiterating that Diallo is most likely gone.

My guess is Self told Svi he would continue recruiting his position heavily (read: Terrance Ferguson) until Svi affirmed his return. Which, I'm guessing, is what Self has been telling all of his guys. Bragg is in a slightly better position, since Self is unlikely to land any remaining recruits capable of taking Bragg's minutes next year. Thus, he can take his time.

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

Word is that Bragg is announcing tonite.

Jonathan Allison 2 years, 6 months ago

I can almost picture Bragg standing in front of the banquet hall with the microphone in hand and a huge smile on his face and saying, "... after considering all of these things and discussing with my coaches and family I have decided to take my talents... umm... to... uh... I'm staying at Kansas!"

Jay Scott 2 years, 6 months ago

You know that he wouldn't say he's leaving in that environment...

RJ King 2 years, 6 months ago

Interesting take. Could be. Wouldn't we all love to be a fly on the wall?

Suzi Marshall 2 years, 6 months ago

You might be right. I can completely see, i.e. hear, Self saying something like that to Svi. Once the commitment to stay from Svi was obtained, I can hear Self telling Ferguson something like: "I'm committed to Svi for the '16-'17 season, unless something unusual or unexpected happens, you will be behind him in the rotation." Self is like that. He's very blunt in his statements of expectations.

Mike Greer 2 years, 6 months ago

yes, Yes, YES! Glad Svi has decided to stay at KU. This is a win/win, a win for Svi and a win for the Jayhawks. It's been a long time since I was a kid, but the difference in what I knew as a 17 year old and what I knew as a 19 year old were worlds apart. He's over the steep part of the curve and should improve at a much faster pace this next season. Congrats Svi!

Marius Rowlanski 2 years, 6 months ago

What would be better for KU? A returning 4th year senior Selden or #1 freshman recruit Josh Jackson?

Mike Greer 2 years, 6 months ago

Which is better, the devil you know or the devil you don't know?

Selden was hot and cold his 3 years at KU, so he's the devil we know, would it be any different with one more year, who knows. His last game was not what one would hope for, 0 of 6 from 3. Jackson is the devil we don't know, he could be as good or better than Wiggens at KU, or he could be a Henry or Mclemore, good but not great.

Just one other way to look at this from a totally different perspective, KU will not be facing Selden in a regional final next year, if we didn't grab Jackson we very well could have been facing him. Which would be better for KU?

Harlan Hobbs 2 years, 6 months ago

I said before Wayne announced that, if given the choice, I would take him over Jackson based simply upon experience. As I see it, we now have perhaps the best of both worlds. Wayne gets to pursue his dreams, and he will always be a part of the Jayhawk family. We replace him with someone who probably has more raw talent. We just have to hope that he will demonstrate it in his one year at KU. I am confident that he will.

As others have said, Coach Self has a reputation of loyalty to his players. Svi's decision shows a similar loyalty. Therefore, I believe that he can expect a lot more playing time next year if his performance on the court continues to improve as much as it did this year.

Mallory Briggans 2 years, 6 months ago

I'm curious since its been a Diallo " LOVE FEST " knowing all his shortcomings and had he decided to come back would he be embraced for what he is.... a raw inexperienced player who is TRYING TO LEARN the game of basketball. Would he get the support from the fans I would like to think he would . True he is not what we expected coming in but it was not all of his doing The bar was set high because of his potential NBA scouts had crowned him with before he ever set foot in AFH .I do feel for this young man he left his country and his family to pursue his dream and an opportunity for a better life. And all anyone could ask for chance and when given make the best of it. Although the opportunity at KU was short lived it was yet an opportunity but his chance at his dream and his chance at stardom is still within reach and I hope and pray that he does make it and I m sure many of us who are KU fans feel the same. So Diallo keep your head up and keep working and the greatness that is in you will come out ,and the greatness of all KU fans will support you......