Sunday, April 10, 2016

Prep Jackson helps U.S. cruise at Hoop Summit

Josh Jackson competes in the dunk contest in the Under Armour Elite 24 Skills Competition on Friday, August 21 in Brooklyn, New York.

Josh Jackson, the top-rated high school basketball player in the country, scored seven points off 3-of-7 shooting and grabbed four rebounds as Team USA clobbered the World Select team, 101-67, in Saturday’s Nike Hoop Summit in Portland.

Jackson, a 6-foot-7 senior shooting guard from Prolific Prep in Napa, Calif., told reporters after the game he would announce for either Kansas University, Michigan State or Arizona sometime Monday on Twitter.

“I know where I’m going,” Jackson told USA Today. “I’m not doing TV or any streaming (online) or anything like that. I’ll just tweet it, but it will definitely be Monday.”

Terrance Ferguson, a 6-6 shooting guard from Dallas Advanced Prep who has a final list of KU, Arizona, Baylor, Maryland, North Carolina and N.C. State, scored 21 points off 7-of-11 three-point shooting. He had 18 points the first half, hitting six threes in less than four minutes.

“I just had to put my hand in some ice when I went in the back,” Ferguson, the No. 12-rated player in the Class of 2016 according to Rivals.com, joked to media as reported by USA Today. “I don’t even really want to touch this mic (in interview room). It’s still hot. I just had it going. The first few felt good, and I knew it was on. They just kept feeding me after that. I just said, ‘Throw it up!’ That was the plan, throw it up.”

Future KU forward Udoka Azubuike had three points and two boards in nine minutes for the World Team. He was fouled hard by a pair of U.S. players in the first half and shaken up on that play, limiting his minutes.

“Am fine. My hip was hurting me. (I) wanted to get back in the game but couldn’t, but I will be fine just need a little rest,” Azubuike said in a text to jayhawkslant.com.

The 6-11, 270-pounder, who is ranked No. 27 in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.com, is expected to be able to play in Friday’s Jordan Brand Classic in Barklays Center in Brooklyn.

No. 20-ranked Jarrett Allen, a 6-9 senior forward who has KU on his list of schools, had nine rebounds and nine points for the winners. DeAndre Ayton, the No. 1 rated player in the Class of 2017 who is considering KU and others, had eight points and seven boards for World Select. He’s a 7-footer from Hillcrest Academy in Phoenix, originally from Bahamas.

The U.S. forced 29 turnovers and held the World Squad to 33.3 percent shooting, 3-of-19 from three.

“Our whole motto this week was to come out and be very aggressive from the beginning, and I thought that the guys did an excellent job today at that to set the tone early,” said Team USA head coach L.J. Goolsby, who is coach of KC Run GMC’s youth basketball team.

The U.S., which had dropped three of the last four games to the World squad, is 13-6 at the Hoop Summit.

No date set: Ferguson was asked about his recruitment after the game.

“I don’t have a due date right now, whenever it happens, it happens,” he said.

He committed to Alabama in the fall but reopened his recruiting several weeks ago. Over the weekend he said he wanted to visit North Carolina, which has made a recent push.

Wild questions: USA Today asked top recruit Jackson some wacky questions over the weekend:

• Which coach on your list (Bill Self, Tom Izzo, Sean Miller) would have the best chance to be President of the United States?

Josh: “Hmm, I think Bill Self. Just when I look at him sometimes he looks like a president. Also, the way he carries himself. He’s a winner. He’s won 12 straight Big 12 titles and we’ve got the best country in the world, so we’d need a winner.”

• You’re on a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean and you can only save one of the three head coaches on your list; who’s getting pulled in?”

Josh: “(Laughs) Oh man! That’s tough man… You know what, I’m probably gonna have to go ahead and put Sean Miller on the lifeboat. Sean’s my guy and, out of the three coaches, I’ve probably got the best relationship with him. He coached me with U19 USA Basketball and I think just having that experience with him is why. I can’t really say I have as close a relationship with the other two coaches, but I’m pretty sure they’re great people. For me, having this close relationship with Sean Miller; he would have to be the one to get saved.”

Comments

Duane Peschka 3 years, 10 months ago

To all: Jackson is going to Arizona, done deal. Ferguson is going to North Carolina, also a done deal. J Allen has KU as one of his 3 finalists. Wait and see on Monday for Jackson and once he does, Ferguson will commit to N. Carolina. Just wait and see. That info comes from a very close insider for all three of those players named.

Yonatan Negash 3 years, 10 months ago

Not sure if you're aware but Josh Jackson has a Kansas connection and that my friend will have an impact on his decision.

Highly doubt Arizona is in play.

Apples Jones (his mom) who played at Allen Community College (Kansas) is all set on Kansas and wants Josh to come to Kansas.

I don't see Arizona in play.

Steve Macy 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for posting, now I don't have to check to see what happens. Is this the same person that might have given you advice on KU vs Florida in 2006? Don't you just hate a site that keeps history around? I'm not doubting you, just curious.

Danny Hernandez 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks Duane for the news, now I can just look forward to an upcoming Record tying 13 consecutive conference championship and a record breaking consecutive NCAA tournament.

Gerry Butler 3 years, 10 months ago

WHEW ! ! - - - - Thanks Duane, this saves me so much trouble.I wrote it down, and called all local sports - - - guys told them I had a hot scoop for them want to get them together tip them off so they don't have to scurry around, This is such a HUGE relief can't thank you enough. Don't worry I won't divulge my source. Again Thanks soooo much, you can't begin to realize what a relief this is, was in a scramble mode trying to figure out Josh's Twitter account whew thanks again- - -Now I don't have to screw around waiting for him to announce- - I can go mow my grass. Awsome for Arizona. THANK YOU - -oh and ya ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Mallory Briggans 3 years, 10 months ago

to duane in the words of rocky the squirrel..........THANK YOU MR KNOW IT ALL........anymore tidbits we need to know about ......thats pretty bold if youre wrong i suggest you delete your account.....because you think you will get grief today ...

Edward Daub 3 years, 10 months ago

When Duane Peschka talks, people listen!

Stay tuned to see if Peschka is indeed a Prophet?

I sure hope he is wrong.

Alan Dickey 3 years, 10 months ago

I listened. Everyone one ESPN was saying Jackson to KU. Peschka was wrong. And he didn't say "likely"; he said "done deal" from a "very close insider." So, reading ESPN is far more reliable.

Robert Brock 3 years, 10 months ago

Just call me Swami:

Terrance Ferguson to Arizona Jarrett Allen to Texas Josh Jackson to Kansas

Book it !!!

Mallory Briggans 3 years, 10 months ago

as much as i hate texas .....allen is a pretty good wing........just what we could use.........we are on his list ....texas has always had a problem keeping stars in state......not much has been made of allen to kansas but it would be a good fit....

Noel Graham 3 years, 10 months ago

Allen is a power forward, not a wing. Jackson is a wing and if the recruiting experts are to be believed, will be a Jayhawk. Of course that was before Duane spoke up so now I am really confused.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 10 months ago

I heard from an impeachable source that this is all a ruse and Josh is really going to Monmouth because he really likes the guys on the bench!!!

1] Arizona - The coach he is closest to.

2] Michigan State - His home state and team.

3] Kansas - Current Coach of the Year and Max PT available at his position.

Duane, I'm not saying your wrong, but there are tremendously compelling reasons to pick any of the three schools.

Dirk Medema 3 years, 10 months ago

Josh also gave props to Izzo on the other 2 questions

1. Which of the three head coaches would win a UFC tournament against each other?

JJ: Gotta say Tom Izzo there. Just watching his teams you can tell he teaches toughness. I’ve never seen his teams lose because of lack of toughness. Plus, I’ve never seen a coach be able to have the fear and respect of his players at the same time like Izzo.”

1. If we had all three coaches kick a freestyle in the booth whose bars would be the hottest?

JJ: Oh man that would be hilarious! OK, I’d probably have to say Izzo because of the culture he’s around. I know he gets a lot of players from Detroit and hip hop is heavy there so I know he hears them rap sometimes. I rap a little sometimes myself; well, I try to.”

Chad Smith 3 years, 10 months ago

Arizona And MSU's rosters and incoming recruits as of right now would indicate that UA and KU have the biggest need and opportunity for playing time. KU has NO incoming small forwards or shooting guards presently( I know there are transfers and other HS recruits i.e ferguson) signed to play next year. We have stacked frontcourts and backcourts for next season. Bragg, Lucas, Lightfoot, Coleby, and Azubuike in the Frontcourt. Vick, Mason, Graham, and Svi in the backcourt. Svi could play the 3, but I think he's better at off guard and hybrid 2/3. Meaning we have an obvious and immediate gap to fill. That is a big factor. It might not be the most important factor. But Jackson would have a chance to play a lot right away and play on an experienced team at KU. Maybe he wants to take Valentine's place and be the man at MSU, but I believe they already have a 6-7 SF/SG signed for next season. UA also has few SF/SG options. They have two graduating. If playing time is the most important factor, I think he'll pick KU. If it isn't then I have no freaking clue.

Steve Macy 3 years, 10 months ago

I have no idea where any recruits are going, KU will survive no matter what. The only thing I know for sure, Sean Miller is probably sweating out the decision.

Luke Kading 3 years, 10 months ago

Well said Steve. I literally laughed out loud after reading that comment.