Self kicks off Kansas’ Boot Camp

Sunday, September 20, 2015

Bill Self’s 13th basketball Boot Camp at Kansas University is off to a rousing start.

“The first day was good. I was very pleased, and it was not an easy day for them, but they all got through it and stuck together,” KU coach Self said after a Sunday afternoon session in KU’s practice facility.

Boot Camp continues at 6 this morning and runs every morning for an hour to 90 minutes, at least until Friday.

“Obviously, we didn’t have our full complement of guys because Brannen Greene ... he was out there, but not quite full speed (following offseason hip surgery), although he did well,” Self said. “Wayne Selden tweaked his ankle, so he wasn’t out there but hopefully he’ll be back out there later this week, and of course Cheick,” he added of Cheick Diallo, who has not yet been deemed eligible for his freshman season by the NCAA.

Of freshman forward Diallo’s situation, Self said:“I’m not going to comment on it again. He’s being held out until his situation is resolved.”

Greene, who had surgery in April, is “doing some things (basketball related),” Self said, “but we’re not letting him go full speed up and down yet.”

As far as the goals for Boot Camp 2015, Self said Sunday: “Same as always: get them in shape, ready to practice, also develop some mental toughness and bond together. I think some leaders can be born and found during Boot Camp. Certainly we are off to a good start in that regard.”

Recruiting: KU targets Mitch Lightfoot (6-foot-8 forward, Gilbert, Arizona High) and Udoka Azubuike (6-11 forward, Potter’s House Christian, Jacksonville, Florida) completed their official recruiting visits to KU Sunday. Lightfoot told he was impressed with KU’s new McCarthy Hall dorm for the players, as well as the atmosphere at KU’s volleyball game on Saturday night. He will visit Arizona on Oct. 10 and St. John’s Oct. 2.

Asked when the players will move from Naismith Hall into the new apartment hall, Self said Sunday: “We are hopeful the first week in October. There’s a lot of stuff that needs to be done, but the guys (construction workers) are working hard. We’re hopeful we’ll be in it in two weeks.”