Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Markieff shrugs off $10K fine; recruiting goes ‘live’

Phoenix Suns' Markieff Morris, left, shakes hands with his twin brother Marcus, as they walk off the court after the Suns 107-104 loss to the Sacramento King in a NBA basketball game in Sacramento, Calif., Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013.(AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli)

Former Kansas University power forward Markieff Morris of the Phoenix Suns on Tuesday was fined $10,000 by the NBA league office for publicly demanding to be traded.

Morris, who is upset the Suns recently dealt his brother, Marcus, to Detroit, wrote on Twitter last week, “my future is not in Phoenix.” He also told the Philadelphia Inquirer, “One thing is for sure, I’m not going to be there (in Phoenix this season).”

Markieff obviously wasn’t sweating the fine.

On Tuesday, he retweeted the NBA’s news release announcing details of the penalty. Then he posted a positive tweet about KU football. He wrote, “Kansas football got some player makers! I’m tuned in this year ... #KU.”

Brightsideofthesun.com said Morris also Tweeted a picture of Kanye West shrugging. That Tweet apparently was quickly taken down by Morris as it was not on his account later Tuesday.

Suffice it to say Morris will be a popular interview target at Suns Media Day at the end of the month.

Live period begins: A live recruiting period begins today, with KU coach Bill Self slated to have an in-home visit with Schnider Herard, a 6-foot-10, 255-pound senior from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas. Herard, who is Rivals.com’s No. 34-rated player in the Class of 2016, will visit KU for the Oct. 9 Late Night in the Phog.

The Fayetteville Observer reports that North Carolina State coach Mark Gottfried plans to arrive via helicopter for a visit with No. 7-ranked Edrice “Bam” Adebayo, a 6-9 senior forward from High Point (North Carolina) Christian High. Adebayo is considering KU, N.C. State, Kentucky, North Carolina, Louisville and others. Gottfried also will take the helicopter to Trinity Christian High in Fayetteville, North Carolina, today to visit No. 4 Dennis Smith, a 6-2 point guard.

Alkins transfers: Rawle Alkins, a 6-4, 205-pound senior shooting guard from New York City, has decided to transfer from NY’s Christ the King High to Word of God Academy in Raleigh, North Carolina, Zagsblog.com reported Tuesday.

Alkins, who is ranked No. 9 nationally by Rivals.com, has a list of 11 schools: Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, Texas, St John’s, Louisville, N.C. State, UNLV, Maryland, Indiana and Arizona.

“As far as me, my concern is not the past,” Alkins told Zagsblog.com. “A lot of coaches try to sell me on the past, like they win and all that stuff. It doesn’t matter to me because I feel like anywhere I go I’m going to win so it’s just really how I’m going tot be living, how’s the school, whatever school is going to prepare me for wherever I need to go. Wherever I go I feel like winning is the only option.”

Best ever list: In case you missed this June item, The Sporting News’ Mike DeCourcy listed the 10 greatest KU basketball players of all time. The list is topped by Danny Manning, followed by Wilt Chamberlain, Clyde Lovellette, Nick Collison, Raef LaFrentz, Sherron Collins, Paul Pierce, Darnell Valentine, Dave Robisch and Drew Gooden. That would be seven bigs and three guards.

Comments

Jonathan Andrews 6 years, 1 month ago

Of the Best Ever list, Drew Gooden says, "FINALLY! I get to play SG, my natural position!"

Rodney Crain 6 years, 1 month ago

oh please let us lose out on Aikins to another school.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 1 month ago

Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm but if not, why would you not want to sign Rawle Alkins? He would be solid replacement for Selden who will be moving on at the end of the season.

Just want to know your reasons RC... No personal agenda attached.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 1 month ago

Marius It sounds like he could go anywhere and turn them by himself into a National Championship team. We all know that is not possible. In 4 sentences he referenced himself 11 times when talking about how coaches recruit him. To me I would prefer someone who is humble about their talent then someone who beleives the hype about themselves. He sounds like the world orbits around him. The reality check for someone that sounds like that is pretty rough. I am ok with someone like that passing on our team.

Jay Beakum 6 years, 1 month ago

Sherron Collins over Jaque Vaughn...?

I find the criteria for this list questionable.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 1 month ago

Sherron definitely has a great place in KU history. His precise position however was hotly debated as his time in Lawrence wound down.

This is just one sports writer recognizing a need to throw a bone to the 2008 champions and picking the player who had the most prolific 4 year career of any on that team.

I certainly am no history book when it comes to the all-time great PGs, but Sherron has the accolades to make my list that includes Jo Jo, Vaughn, Hinrich, and other top flight PGs who have called Allen Fieldhouse their home.

As for top 10 best KU players of all-time... that's tough call.

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 1 month ago

Mike DeCourcy lost credibility leaving JoJo off the list. Vaughn, Valentine, Collins, Chalmers were all great guards but none of them would win a spot over JoJo....on any level.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 1 month ago

As soon as I saw that I knew the list was bogus.

Dale Rogers 6 years, 1 month ago

Grow up, Markieff! NBA players get traded. It happens every year to someone. It does not matter if the traded player is your twin. Don't like it? Get another job!

John Boyle 6 years, 1 month ago

You have obviously never been a twin!

Dale Rogers 6 years, 1 month ago

It's a job. There is nothing in their contract saying they can't be separated. Sure, they'd like to stay together but that didn't happen. They need to learn to get over it or get into a field where they can be sure to stay together.

Jay Scott 6 years, 1 month ago

You've obviously never signed a contract.

There are thousands of sets of twins in America. They don't all get to work side by side. They survive.

Blake Lehning 6 years, 1 month ago

There was nothing in their contract saying they wouldn't be traded. Only 3 players have a no trade clause in their contracts. Kieff knew this could happen. Like you said he will survive, but he still needs to grow up.

Allin Herring 6 years, 1 month ago

The Twins are still idiots after all these years! You would have thought they would have grown up by now and could live on their own!! Bet the still take their blanket to bed with them at night and Momma tuckss them in at night. Just grow up!

Not having Jo Jo and Vaughn on this list is just plain stupid as well! Get Collins and Gooden off this list and it would be pretty good

John Boyle 6 years, 1 month ago

Sherron Collins????

JoJo White, Mario Chalmers, Jacque Vaughn, Kirk Hinrich Those are just off the top of my head that were better than Collins. He was not very good his junior and senior years but he did score because he shot a lot and not for a very good percentage. His one claim to fame is the 2008 NC game when he stole the ball on the baseline and made a shot.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 1 month ago

When I first read this, I was thinking that maybe they meant the top 10 Jayhawks who played in the NBA. Going by that, it makes JoJo White's absence even worse . He was easily one of the top 10 players at KU and even easier, one of the top KU players who played in the NBA.

If only looking at the top 10 at Kansas then I have no problem putting Vaughn ahead of Sherron Collins.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 1 month ago

How can a best ever list not have Paul Endacott nor Bill Johnson? DeCourcy misses the boat with his list.

Brett Gaul 6 years, 1 month ago

Wilt, Manning, Lovellette, JoJo, The Truth, Collison, Jacque, Darnell, Raef, & Hinrich.

Marius Rowlanski 6 years, 1 month ago

Schnider Herard, Adebayo and Bolden would be a fantastic replacement for the bigs we are losing. Herald and Adebayo are most likely at least three year players and Bolden IMO will be here for at least two years. With Lucas, Coleby and Bragg (?) returning, we can lock down our bigs for at least the next two or three years.

Losing Ferguson to Alabama was a pretty good hit but if we can pick up Fox and maybe another 3, that's a solid foundation that I think most coaches would be extremely happy to have.

Jay Scott 6 years, 1 month ago

Is this list best college players or best NBA players from KU? Collins inclusion would seem to indicate the former. If that's the case, why not Simien?

Janet Olin 6 years, 1 month ago

Two words, Kieff: Grow Up. This is a business, so do the job you signed on to do, for which you are more than handsomely paid.