Friday, October 30, 2015

Self: Kansas ‘stale’ so far

Kansas University coach Bill Self and the Jayhawks gather before practice on Thursday, Oct. 15, 2015, at the KU practice facility.

Kansas University basketball coach Bill Self walked through the northwest tunnel of Allen Fieldhouse toward the locker room with a frown on his face following Thursday’s 21⁄2-hour practice.

“We’re stale. We’ve been stale. We haven’t practiced very well the last week or so,” Self said. “We’re very careless. It’s hard to play when you turn the ball over every possession, it seems like. I don’t think anybody’s leaving out of practice thinking we’ve gotten better the last week. I don’t think that’s the case at all.”

Not every day the past week has been as sub-par as Thursday.

“We’ve had good days, but we’re too inconsistent,” said Self, whose squad has been practicing since Oct. 2. “We’ll have good days, then we’ll have days where we turn that ball over left and right. The biggest thing that’s disappointing to me is our decision-making.”

His Jayhawks will meet Pittsburg State at 7 p.m. Wednesday in Allen in the first of two preseason games.

“We haven’t got that much in,” Self said of specific plays. “We’ve got in zone. We’ve got in a press. We got in some out-of-bounds plays. We got in enough, I think, to play in an exhibition, but we don’t have that much in.”

Of the team’s health, he said: “Actually good. We’ve got a few guys that are nicked up, but not nicked up enough to miss practice.”

Self’s spirits did brighten a bit Thursday when asked about the Kansas City Royals. Yes, he attended the first two games of the World Series — a 5-4, 14-inning KC win over the New York Mets on Tuesday, followed by a 7-1 Royals victory Wednesday.

“It’s great what they are doing,” Self said. “It’s a great example for everybody, (that) it’s never over ’til it’s over. Guys just keep battling. Some player on the team usually picks up everybody else.

“It’s great for, obviously, Kansas City and the surrounding communities to have the focus of America be on those guys,” he added of the Royals.

Diallo update: Self said he’s not expecting any NCAA decision on Cheick Diallo’s eligibility case heading into the weekend.

One of Diallo’s former Our Savior New American High teammates, Kobie Eubanks, was cleared to play second semester of the 2015-16 season, Zagsblog.com reported Friday.

Eubanks will enroll at Texas A&M;, Baylor or Georgetown for second-semester classes.

“I think things like that are positive. I’m unaware of any details on him,” Self said. This means all of Diallo’s teammates (from OSNA in Centereach, New York) to earn major-college scholarships have qualified for college scholarships.

Self had nothing else to say on the Diallo eligibility matter.

Clinic starts: Self today welcomes about 150 coaches to Lawrence for his annual coaching clinic.

ESPN’s Fran Fraschilla, former head coach at St. John’s, New Mexico and Manhattan, will be in town to speak to the coaches as well as Self and all members of his staff.

Comments

Rodney Crain 3 years, 7 months ago

Its fine that an experienced team, with a few seniors to lead the way, that played and won a gold medal in the Summer is stale, not doing very well. All those extra practices are paying off, wait, no I guess they didn't.

Changes causing a problem, don't think that is it?

I got it the refs calling the rules tighter... no? Ok...

Heck we have tons of time...no? oh 5 days is all. huh.

Maybe we are tired from moving? a few weeks ago hmmm

Someone help come up with some more excuses...

Brett McCabe 3 years, 7 months ago

Please alert the authorities.....the sky just fell.

Rodney Crain 3 years, 7 months ago

Brilliant reply, what depth.

Why do you even try Brett? Weak.

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

Aside from the trolls, I dont understand the pessimism.

Brett McCabe 3 years, 7 months ago

Troll = Anyone who disagrees with Joe. Especially it's in less than 1,000 words.

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

Troll = One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a message board with the intention of causing disruption and argument. see "Brett"

I dont care if people agree or disagree. This is a message board if you havent taken notice. Thats what people do here. It'd be a boring place to come if everyone sat in the "amen corner" But you, on the other hand, skulk around the comments often with the intention of having things devolve into a personal battle, sometimes with little if anything to offer on substance. See your comment above ("the sky just fell". Not substantive in the least.) Appropriate now, given the Holiday, that youre masquerading as one who takes the high road. But keep in mind youve left a trail of comments that shows otherwise.

And feel free to disagree with absolutely everything I say, but the fact that you troll around says more about you than anyone else. Have a VERY pleasant day.

Kurt Eskilson 3 years, 7 months ago

I thought Brett was making an ironic comment about Rodney's post, not being pessimistic himself.

Rodney Crain 3 years, 7 months ago

Not sure he would understand what that means...

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

It's not he (Brett) who I thought was being pessimistic; that was directed at Rodney.

Benz Junque 3 years, 7 months ago

Bill says the same thing at this same time of year every year, whether it is true or not. I would hope that Self's system isn't so easy that they could run it error free a few weeks into practice.

Doug Cramer 3 years, 7 months ago

I hope Mickelson is ready to be a beast. I wouldn't count on Diallo to play this semester.

Mike Riches 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't know if I've ever read an article during this time of year where Bill Self is satisfied with how practices are going...this seems to be one way he motivates his players. And I expect things to be just fine as we start games.

I hope BG has a big game against Pitt State...didn't his dad play there?

Paul Richardson 3 years, 7 months ago

Every year same story.....when they start practicing he comes out and says they're doing great....A week or 2 before the season he'll get up their butts. Nothing new here

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 7 months ago

We recruited Kobie Eubanks fairly hard after he decommitted from Baylor. He was Avery's first big commitment at Alabama. Why not go after him? It's not like Diallo will ever be cleared. Four teammates from the same school and only Diallo isn't cleared. This is f***ing ridiculous.

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

Diallo's paperwork got in later than the rest of his teammates is what Im hearing. I wouldnt stake your reputation on his not being cleared as it is a matter which can not be known one way or the other right now. But the NCAAs over-regulation is ridiculous!

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 7 months ago

I think you are most likely partially correct. Eubanks did not have any clearance issues from the Long Island prep school but his problems were from his high school in plantation Florida.

And as and being late, the NCAA could have asked for his Mali transcripts months earlier than they did. Also Joe, I've always felt that you were a fairly intelligent poster so let me ask you this: would you stake your reputation on anything out of the mouths of the NCAA?

I'm fairly certain that you would say no as would I. Of course I want Diallo cleared but the season is just about ready to start. Will they drag this out until after the season begins? I've heard more than one person say that Self never should have signed Diallo but I don't remember there being any questions about his eligibility until AFTER he signed.

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

Youre right in guessing that there is a part of me that mistrusts the NCAA. Will this drag on beyond the beginning of the season? The magic 8-ball is saying "Count on it"

Jaston Archie 3 years, 7 months ago

Every coach has his style, but my biggest complaint with Self is that he doesn't seem to instill confidence in his players, which comes from him believing in them. That's exactly what Coach K said the other day, that he tells his players, "I believe in you," and that gives them the confidence to try something they otherwise would not try. That clearly was the case with Allan Grayson in the national championship. But with Self, players who are or should be supremely confident, like Oubre, Alexander, Selden, Brannen Greene or even Wiggins at some points look like deer lost in the headlights. And honestly, I think that's why top recruits are shying away from KU, bc Self likes to beat down the individual to build up the team, but the best system is one in which individual excellence helps the entire team be successful.

Phil Leister 3 years, 7 months ago

Hopefully Bill Self will read your comment and change his entire coaching philosophy this many years into his career.

Jaston Archie 3 years, 7 months ago

Do you really have to change your entire coaching philosophy by just having more faith in your players and letting them know that? Prime example, KU was nailing 3 pointers like crazy last year, then Self kept saying it was fools gold like an old scrudge. Sure enough, KU went on a long shooting drought where they missed everything. All he had to say was that 'we're a great shooting team, Brannen and Svi hardly ever miss in practice, and they don't need much space to pull the trigger. Every time they shoot it I thnk it's going in, and I expect them to continue to shoot at a high level which will open up the paint." Instead, "it's fools gold, we gotta get the ball inside."

Phil Leister 3 years, 7 months ago

If you think that the things Bill says to the media are the same things he says in the huddle at practice or in the locker room, then you're terribly mistaken.

Jaston Archie 3 years, 7 months ago

Well the team sure did start missing 3 pointers and even shooting them less and started throwing the ball into Landen Lucas and Perry more so apparently he was telling his team the same thing. Of course its no big surprise that Self wants to get the ball inside more, but frankly KU was more talented on the perimeter last year. All I know, is that I watched with my own eyes elite talent play like they didn't know what the hell was going on. So if you have a better hypothesis for why that happened, then shoot; my opinion, is that they lacked confidence bc Self beats down the individual to get a team full of workhorses instead of race horses

Jaston Archie 3 years, 7 months ago

How is it fool's gold when you have shooters like Svi and Brannen Greene? It should be fool's gold for the other team when KU is missing so much

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 7 months ago

I look at it like this Jaston, Bill Self clearly likes the high low offense. Just as hitting threes opens up the middle, banging in the paint (if successful) opens up the three.

I have confidence that Self will go with what offense works plus the athletes he has to work with.

Greg Ledom 3 years, 7 months ago

I know right! When was the last time we got any big time recruits. Come on Self!! Don't mistake media coach speak for how you think he treats players when it's just him and the team. And if you think Coach K is all lovey dovey.......yeah right. It's a coaches job to push his players to the edge without sending them over it. I sense he does a pretty damn good of that. Rock Chalk!!

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 7 months ago

Joe, keep up the good work. Guys like Brett have a hard time making it through the day without being snarky about something. We've suffered through him before, and most likely will keep on doing so.

By the way, good analysis Phil. We all are just fans who sometimes think that we have illusions of grandeur. Good for a laugh or two.

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

My better side keeps telling me to completely ignore him. I wish I listened more often. Ill try harder...

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 7 months ago

Brett, the commie, has contributed several good nuggets to this board. I enjoy reading everyone's comments. Come April when the Hawks are playing in Houston, we'll all be on the same page.

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

Good comments, yes. But he is one of the biggest trolls on this site. Its his own behavior that labels him as such. See his comment history.

Vernon Riggs 3 years, 7 months ago

@Marius, we are out of scholarships for Eubanks...Texas AM, Baylor, Georgetown, etc are offering free rides. Hard to compete with that. Plus Eubanks would sit behind Wayne, Sci, Greene and Vick.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 7 months ago

I know that Vernon, I meant that as tongue-in-cheek. Maybe I need to work a little harder but yes. you are absolutely correct in that there are no more scholarships.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 7 months ago

And then there was two: Caleb Swanigan and Cheick Diallo. I think these are the last two players waiting on their status.. Make a damn decision!

Rodney Crain 3 years, 7 months ago

Alrighty - seems the board is ready to go to start the season. :)

Janet Olin 3 years, 7 months ago

Take a breath, people. b-r-e-a-t-h-e. Our team as is has lots of talent, we have a solid and knowledgeable coach, there will be new recruits. As a single improvement, if Selden (who does not need knee surgery now) can play his intended role and Frank/Devonte control the ball, that will be huge by itself. Not even pre-season yet, but the guys have a playing/practice advantage over most teams because of the summer games. No reason not to be optimistic at this point.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 7 months ago

Janet, please do not mention players names and surgeries. Selden has already had his knee scoped once. No jinxes!

Janet Olin 3 years, 7 months ago

Last year we were all disappointed in Selden's lack of 'hops' and then surprised to learn after the season was over that he needed knee surgery the whole time. None of the players seem to be off their ability level yet; that's a good sign.