Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Texas big man plans to reveal choice

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Blue-chip big man Schnider Herard, a 6-foot-10, 255-pound senior center from Prestonwood Christian Academy in Plano, Texas, will announce his college choice next Wednesday, the day of Kansas University’s first exhibition game against Pittsburg State.

Herard — he has a final four of Kansas University, Mississippi State, Purdue and Texas Tech — has not yet revealed a time for his announcement, which will likely take place at a school assembly.

Herard as a junior earned first-team all-state honors in helping Prestonwood Christian to its fourth consecutive state championship. He scored 23 points and grabbed six rebounds in Prestonwood’s title win over Trinity Christian-Addison.

A native of Haiti who has been in the U.S. three years, Herard once had Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State on his list of schools. He’s ranked No. 34 in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.com.

“Schnider had, I think, 34 scholarship offers and narrowing that down from 10 to five, he was looking for where he might play right away and which programs are going to use their big guys,” Derrick Shelby, Herard’s guardian, told goldandblack.com.

“The most important thing in his decision is going to be the ability to play right away,” Shelby added. “That’s No. 1. So many kids go to these schools and sit there for a year or two. He’d like to be able to play right away. There’s no question about that. That’s the No. 1 criteria.”

Giles sets date, too: Harry Giles, a 6-10 senior center from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Virginia, will announce his college choice on Nov. 14 at the Phenom Hoop Classic in Lewisville, N.C., his mom told Phenom Hoop Report. Giles, who is ranked No. 2 nationally, has a final list of KU, Duke, Wake Forest and Kentucky.

“I think consensus everybody thinks he’s going to Duke and because of the attraction of staying close to home and because Jayson Tatum (Duke commit) is a friend of his,” Oak Hill coach Steve Smith told Zagsblog.com recently. Giles hails from Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

“They (Blue Devils) have the last visit (this weekend) and that was done purposefully and that was a good move on their part I think because when the smoke clears and his head’s spinning a little bit now he goes to Duke for the final visit, so it’s going to be interesting,” Smith added.

Morris starts: Former KU forward Marcus Morris, who has earned a starting spot with the Detroit Pistons after mostly coming off the bench with the Phoenix Suns, had a strong season-opener on Tuesday. He scored 18 points and grabbed 10 boards in a 106-94 win at Atlanta.

The 6-foot-9 Morris, who hit six of 19 shots, told the Detroit News he likes playing for coach Stan Van Gundy.

“(Van Gundy) does a great job of giving me the ball in the spots I like it,” Morris said. “He did a great job of continuing to come to me, miss or make. My confidence is very high right now. The more I play, the more comfortable I’m going to get.”

Morris, who followed that performance with 14 points and six rebounds in a 92-87 home win over Utah on Wednesday, added: “We had a hard training camp and we didn’t put as much work in as we did to come out and lay eggs. We’ve been working really hard and it showed that we’re for real and serious and we’re going to keep trying to grind out games and try to win games.”

Comments

Rodney Crain 4 years, 3 months ago

I thought Schnider was going to MS State?

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 3 months ago

He is going to MSU, having bought into that Howland BS. The operational works in the above article are "playing right away." Kansas has a good shot at signing Azubuike and perhaps one other elite big.

Maker, a spring signee, is not completely out of the picture. If we bomb on Bolten, my bet is Self will go guns hot for Maker. Azubuike/Maker/Lightfoot combined with what we will probably bring back will place Herards back side on the bench his freshman year. Howland, that magnificent Big Developer, has no such other options in the works.

Although Self and Cal made Giles stop and pause a minute, he's has always been Duke bound. I can't say I blame Giles but can't help believing WF with Manning would be his best option.

Robert Brock 4 years, 3 months ago

I would rather see KU get Jarrett Allen than any of those you mentioned.

Benz Junque 4 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, give me any of Bolden, Allen or Azubuike and we are good to go. Give us TWO of them and we're really good to go.

Benz Junque 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't think KU is missing out on much if they don't land Herard.

I still think we land Bolden and possibly Azubuike or Maker although I am 99% certain that if we sign Maker then he'll inevitably be another guy sitting around waiting to be declared eligible.

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't agree about Herard. He might not be as talented as the others you listed but he will stick around for a couple of years at least. I don't think it matters if we agree since he will be going to MSU anyways. I do agree about Maker. This seems to be a lesson we never learn although the NCAA doesn't help much.

Benz Junque 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't question his talent, I question his drive. I have seen numerous recruiting folks question his effort and motivation. No thanks.

Being a guy that will stick around isn't a skill and shouldn't be counted as a positive unless the guy is the type of player that will benefit from it. Why clog up scholarships for multiple years on a guy with motivation issues? Meh.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 3 months ago

ugh, not interested in Maker at all. Way too much in motion there.

Some of these bigs are announcing soon I hope we get at least one of them.
I am with Benz on Bolden and Azubuike although neither of those are leaning our way it appears.

I hope Slef has more magic in his whistle he might need to pull out another miracle late recruit or two in May or June to just fill out the roster.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 3 months ago

The Half-And-Done Maker wanted to pull off last year left me more than flat with that guy, especially after some of our recent OAD experiences.

Self may yet seal the deal for Azubuike. I hate following recruiting closely but love follow Self. Self is incredibly bold/audacious and always seems to pull habits out of his hat.

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 3 months ago

Don't give up on Azubuike just yet, especially if Herard doesn't sign. Maybe we land a couple of JUCO players next spring since we might have a couple of scholarships available.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 3 months ago

Sounds terrible doesn't it, "maybe we land a couple of JUCO players"? If that happens we really need to relook at how we are recruiting, and who (assts.) is going it. There is no reason at all, period, that all those other schools got someone to sign, in the top 20, and we cannot. NONE.

Tom Jones 4 years, 3 months ago

Yeah, Self clearly has no idea how to recruit.

Listening to Rodney discuss recruiting is like listening to Kim Kardashian discuss global politics. It's damn funny stuff.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 3 months ago

now that's funny. I love Rodney but you provided a clever analogy.

Phil Leister 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't know how this website can't figure out how to stop these bots from registering a new account every morning and posting the same crap on every story. Seriously LJW? This was never an issue when you didn't require registering with Facebook.

Dale Rogers 4 years, 3 months ago

When I read where a recruit is more interested in playing right away than he is in improving his skills and helping a team win a championship, well, I'd just as soon we take a pass on a kid like that. I'm assuming here that the media has not reported his comments and those of his coach out of context.

Brett McCabe 4 years, 3 months ago

Post of the friggin' year. My goodness, the things that come out of the mouths of some of these recruits, their advisors and their parents.

Hard pass on anyone who isn't willing to work to get his spot.

Glen Miller 4 years, 3 months ago

Have fun at Mississippi State in the cellar of an awful conference..... These kids are so coddled these days that none of them want to work for their spots. You are supposed to EARN your playing time, that's how Blue Chip programs work. You aren't going to come to Kansas and be starter from day 1 in most cases, unless you are Andrew Wiggins. I honestly would prefer we take a pass on a kid who values playing time over winning, developing his talent and earning his way to his success.

Gerry Butler 4 years, 3 months ago

I don't believe it's a wrap on Herard at all with Miss,St, have had discussions on other Ku sites people asking if Herard signs with Ku would it run Bolden off? the simple answer to that is NO. Herard is a true 5 & true 5 only, where Bolden can play a 4. It's really pretty simple it all depends on Giles if, Giles ends up committing to Duke which I believe he will because of numerous reasons, his buddy Jason being there, close to home , & because it's Duke, so if commits to Duke then I feel pretty sure Bolden ends up here at KU. Now if for some reason Giles would commit to Kentucky? then that's a different ball game. Giles to Kentucky, then chances are Bolden ends up at Duke. I could easily see a light foot, Herard, Bolden trio here which would be good, Or possibly a light foot, Azubuike, Bolden trio. Now if Herard commits then ya Azubuike is definitely out, but otherwise I think our shot is good. I definitely have to agree with Rodney. and others on Maker, and that is stay the hell away from that. I think he is just problems looking for a place to happen. I don'tfeel we will start after him again, Coach Self has back off and probably for good reason. Let that go PERIOD. ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Vernon Riggs 4 years, 3 months ago

UK has 4 BIGS already committed to the 2016 Class and will have Lee that unless he gets pushed out by Coach Cal returns to be the 5th BIG...Neither Giles and Bolden end up at UK.

Giles to Duke.

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 3 months ago

Glad to see Marcus get off to a good start. Good to see a positive story in regard to the twins.

Vernon Riggs 4 years, 3 months ago

Jerry Meyers just changed his Crystal Ball predictions from Duke to Kansas today. Lightfoot, Bolden and Azubuike or Allen is a good class. Pick up a Wing or Combo Guard and a transfer in the Spring. Good Class.