Monday, October 12, 2015

Texas offensive lineman Hughes commits to Kansas University

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

Any quarterback skilled at throwing the long ball can only be as effective as his blockers allow.

Kansas University offensive-line coach Zach Yenser has been hard at work recruiting blockers for Ryan Willis and the rest of KU’s young quarterbacks.

Chris Hughes, a 6-foot-5, 260-pound offensive tackle prospect from Harker Heights, Texas, became the fourth offensive-line prospect (and third from high school) in the recruiting class of 2016 to commit to Kansas. Hughes spent the weekend in Lawrence.

“Coach Yenser and coach (David) Beaty are phenomenal people,” Hughes told Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com. “They really care about you and your well-being. You can tell they are genuine people.”

Hughes tore his ACL at Texas’ football camp last summer, which typically reduces the number of schools recruiting prospects.

“When I told the coaches at Kansas about it, they never put on the brakes,” Hughes said.

Hughes, a three-star recruit per Rivals, had California and Houston among the schools offering him a scholarship.

Comments

Ashwin Rao 4 years, 1 month ago

I keep hearing about "Size" issues with our team this year, so I did a google search and found these resources.

and

and

Which definitely shows that we are lacking in that department. I wonder if we are focussing on the best "Skilled" people at posiitons, or size? I know that having both is ideal, but which one is more important? I am also assuming that HS players will be smaller than Juco players because of age/exposure to higher level workouts.

Greg Ledom 4 years, 1 month ago

AR, I would be in the camp of 'skill' being more important. You first have to be able to play the position whatever it may be. You can always (for the most part) put weight on a kid who has the frame to play OL.

Bee Bee 4 years, 1 month ago

Navy and Air Force are undersized every year. Somehow they seem to play in bowl games on a regular basis. I ll take discipline and heart over size and skill in most cases.

Doug Cramer 4 years, 1 month ago

Keep building up the O and D lines. That will be the foundation to improving this program.

Keep Sawin Wood !

Brett McCabe 4 years, 1 month ago

If I never hear that stupid phrase again, it will be too soon. So, that will be tomorrow.

Matt Gauntt 4 years, 1 month ago

Looks like an interesting young man.

To Ashwin's point - looks like he is a tall, slender young man. Either he can put on some weight, or perhaps a move to D-Line. Still excited to have him.

Greg Ledom 4 years, 1 month ago

I was at the game Saturday, and one of a mere 5K when the final tics ran off the clock. I stayed for the whole game to simply watch how the foundation of the program is coming. I came away thinking we have some nice pieces, albeit young and inexperienced pieces. Things I came away impressed with.

1) Ryan Willis - Very impressed with this kid and his ability. He should start the rest of the year regardless of Cozart's health. He was patient in the pocket (occasionally to a fault), showed the ability to scramble, and indeed has a fantastic arm with excellent accuracy. I think this kid is going to be really good.

2) Offensive line - Overall I thought the line gave Willis the time he needed to make some plays. In essence, I didn't see him running for his life a lot and that seems to be a good thing.

3) Booker - The young wide receiver back from injury is simply impressive. He's a big, tall and well built kid. His ceiling is very high in my opinion.

4) Dineen - The local kids name was called a lot on defense. He will do nothing but continue to excell in his college career.

5) Attitude - Both on the sideling and on the field, this team doesn't quit. And when your getting it handed to you and on a path to 0-12, that not only says something about the players but the staff as well.

6) Briles - If this had been OU or NU of old they would have scored 100, and that's no joke. The dude pulled his starters after half the game was over. I thought it showed class. Sadly, we couldn't stop his second team either....

7) Recruiting - If this staff can continue to pull in 3 star kids for this next class with our record.........impressive. I hope they can because I think we have the right staff to get the job done, but it will take time.

8) Defense - My God we're small, young and inexperienced, and to make it worse it looked like we had a few injuries to starters. So much work to be done across the board.

Being a season ticket holder I will continue to go and evaluate the foundation being put down as wins will not be a motivation this year.

Separately, the magic that Snyder continues to wield in Manhatten is mind boggling. Dude is a play here and a play there from being undefeated and I thought they would get it handed to them Saturday.

Lance Cheney 4 years, 1 month ago

No doubt this coaching staff can recruit, but I'm starting to question Beaty's decision-making. Whether it be selecting the best QB (clearly Willis has more upside than Cozart), 4th-down play calling, or other things. Hopefully it's something he can learn from as he gets more experience.

Michael Bennett 4 years, 1 month ago

There's a tackle in Round Rock, Texas, Michael Wilson, I've been trying to get KU to recruit. I've sent Yenser emails, but he has never responded. The kid is 6' 9" 325 and in much better shape than Macsyk(sp?) when he was recruited. Anyone that knows Yenser should drop a bug in his ear.

Dale Rogers 4 years, 1 month ago

I wonder if you contacted the kid's coach and suggested he send a tape to Kansas if that would get some interest going. Or at least suggest his coach contact Yenser or Beaty.

Bville Hawk 4 years, 1 month ago

Inexcusable for Yenser not to respond to you. Wonder if it went to his spam box?

I'd resend it with a cc to Head Coach David Beaty and see if that gets a response. Also, ask for a return receipt, that would let you know it actually got thru.

Michael Maris 4 years, 1 month ago

It will be interesting in 2016 Season, when LaQuivionte Gonzales and Chase Harrell will become eligible to play in the offense with the other current WR's playing.

And barring any additional injuries to the 2015 QB position, Kansas will have an overload @ the QB position with Carter Stanley being a RS-Freshman. I have no idea if Michael Cummings will actually get a 6th year (or not). If he does, then that would make potentially 8 players available to be QB in 2016. I would think that Montell Cozart (with his athleticism) would consider making a positional change for the 2016 season. But, he would only get that 1 season to play that other position.

I know this season is going to be a rough one. But, the strides are being made to upgrade and improve the Jayhawks for the Long Term Future.

We all want immediate results. But, the situation is what it is (at this point and time). Nonetheless, I'm excited about what HCDB and staff will be recruiting to Lawrence, Kansas. ROCH CHALK.

Jerry Cross 4 years, 1 month ago

I like it. I live in the Plano/Frisco area. I would like Coach Beaty to recruit heavily there. Good job coach keep it up!

Jim Pendleton 4 years, 1 month ago

Greg - not totally giving Briles a pass Saturday. Yes they could have scored 100 easily, but they threw the ball often from mid 2nd Qtr on and ran no huddle all the time. There was no need for either of those things to occur. Score would have likely been similar.

Trying to figure out how Baylor passed TCU in rankings. Beating a team like us that bad should carry little style points over a team that beat a much better KSU team on the road. Good news is they still play each other.

That being said, I like this recruit & the others they have so far. A good start!

Joe Ross 4 years, 1 month ago

A coach doesn't need a "pass" to call the game the way he sees fit. If Baylor doesn't completely handle Kansas, then perception of their strength could suffer, and that potentially affects their making the 4-team playoff (just ask last year's TCU team). Briles did what he had to do: show a very lopsided score, and then choose a moment to back off. He did that. They only scored 14 in the second half.

College football doesn't have a "say 'uncle'" or "mercy" rule.

He handled it about as well as he could have.

Greg Ledom 4 years, 1 month ago

Nicely stated Joe Ross. My thoughts exactly. And sorry JP, I'm not going to complain about a coach who puts his second team and others in after halftime and say please stop playing football so we can go home. At some point you have to ask the other team; can you stop this? how about this? should I play with 9 players? Bottom line is that Briles was respectuful in how he handled the game while still challenging our players to play football. I'll take that any day of the week when I'm getting it handed to me.

Alex Fletcher 4 years, 1 month ago

this kids brother is a pretty good linebacker at the University of Texas

Jim Pendleton 4 years, 1 month ago

I agree with you guys in that you have to keep playing. The big spread was already in place at the half though. Yeah I also get their second & third team guys will throw it occasionally. They didn't start running more till the 4th Qtr. You also don't need to run no huddle at that point either. I also agree that you have to stop them occasionally & unfortunately we didn't do that. Not their problem, but you can at least back it off a little.

I will stand by my comment however that beating KU by anything over 40-50 should not earn you any style points in the polls. Everyone knows how bad we are & it doesn't need to be 90-7 to make that point. The only way score would be a negative would be had Baylor won 20-10 or less.

Rick McGowwan 4 years, 1 month ago

If you're out there playing everyone has to play hard, every play, all the time. If it's our first string against their 3rd, I expect every player to give it all they have. If I'm 3rd string on Baylor, I'm playing so the coach sees I should be 2nd string.

To ask for a mercy, or for another team to lay down for us, is sad. If we don't want them to score, get a stop.

Gordon Penny 4 years, 1 month ago

Players come to play. If I were the Baylor coach, I would have had my players play as hard as they could for the entire game. Game experience matters, and just because you are winning 52-7 at halftime does not mean you should play less hard the second half. You don't get that half back later on when you wish you had just a little bit more experience, If the score ends up 140-7, then it ends up 140-7. I don't think players or coaches should ever take the foot off the pedal, no matter te score. And I am a lifetime Jayhawk fan.