Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Cheick Diallo still not free to play

Kansas freshman forward Cheick Diallo walks out with the Jayhawks for warmups, Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2015 at Lahaina Civic Center in Lahaina, Hawaii.

— At different junctures throughout Kansas University’s 92-73 win over UCLA Tuesday at the Maui Invitational, the throngs of KU fans in attendance chanted “Free Diallo.”

Kansas coach Bill Self’s update on the Cheick Diallo eligibility case Tuesday?

“The news is they are working on it,” Self said of the freshman big man from Mali’s eligibility case with the NCAA.

“Nothing negative ... they are working on it. I know multiple people are according to the message we got (Tuesday). No idea on a timetable. We’re hoping very soon. They are working on it.”

— See what people were saying about KU vs. UCLA during KUsports.com’s live coverage

More news and notes from Kansas vs. UCLA

By the Numbers: Kansas 92, UCLA 73

By the Numbers: Kansas 92, UCLA 73

Comments

Armen Kurdian 3 years, 11 months ago

Every game he doesn't play is one less chance for this guy to get on the floor, have fun, and be a basketball player. I know that sounds superficial, but that's what this boils down too. If the NCAA can't get out of its own way they at some point need to let him play. It is grossly unfair to the kid and to the school.

Phil Leister 3 years, 11 months ago

Never has "guilty until proven innocent" been more on display. Like the lawyer involved said, this is a de facto suspension.

Let's say Diallo is cleared on Thanksgiving. The NCAA deems his coursework to be acceptable and everything is in the clear....Well, he's already served a 5 game suspension! For absolutely nothing.

I just can't believe the NCAA can get away with a de facto suspension like this. Almost seems like they only way they can come out of this without completely losing face is to deem him ineligible, regardless of what they find. Otherwise, how will they justify making a kid miss 5+ games for nothing?

Brett McCabe 3 years, 11 months ago

Every imaginable effort should have been made to allow him to play this tournament, and the NCAA should have allowed him to play the exhibition games.

A provisional eligibility status should be granted in these instances instead of, as you mentioned, a 5-game suspension.

Len Shaffer 3 years, 11 months ago

If nothing else, he should have at LEAST been allowed to practice!!! It's one thing for them to say, "There may be something there that wouldn't allow him to be eligible," but how would it hurt to let him practice and be a real part of the team while they're making the decision???

As for them "working on it," that sounds like the kind of crap that Bud Selig has said for years and years about the Oakland A's stadium situation -- and baseball STILL hasn't done a damn thing to resolve it.

Benny Armstrong 3 years, 11 months ago

Len, agree with everything you say but want to clear up one point you make... Cheick has been cleared to practice with the team, however he cannot do so while in Maui. I'm not sure on the specifics or reasoning in this case, but the NCAA granted him a waiver to allow him to travel (which he couldn't do for the Champions Classic), which also seems to have simultaneously put a hold on his ability to practice and lift with the team as Fran mentioned during one of the broadcasts. Once they get back to Lawrence, it is my understanding the travel ban will be back in effect, but he will be able to practice again. I think the NCAA decided to let him travel because this is a "once in a lifetime" opportunity and so out of the goodness of their cold black hearts they let him go and sit on the bench in a polo.

Jeff Coffman 3 years, 11 months ago

The NCAA has had the letter from our AD for 3 weeks. They have had the results of two independent groups for at least a week. They have had his KU grades for 3 months. They have listened to Bill Self roast them on every news organization for a week. They have the personnel at the Maui Invitational one of the more prestigious basketball tournaments talking bad about them. They have several announcers from ESPN and other organizations critical of their tactics (Vitale, Bilas, etc.).

I believe that the NCAA organization had determined a suspension of so many games (5 or 9) and will slow play it until that is met. My guess is that it was 9 (like Selby for amateurism), but the pressure might get it reduced to 5.

I want the due diligence, but I expect the due diligence to be done. In this case, it appears that the due diligence wasn't required, and a decision was made. I base this on the letter from our AD. I think if the NCAA is enforcing an unofficial suspension, they should be upfront about it, so the school can decide to appeal or challenge the suspension. The slow play allows the NCAA to do whatever without consequences.

David Kemp 3 years, 11 months ago

What lip service. I thought NCAA was "working on it" for the last several months. Christ if nothing today these guys are eating turkey til monday

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 11 months ago

This just in, on Thanksgiving, I will be "working on eating Turkey." I cannot confirm how long it will take at this juncture, but I should be able to give you an update in a few weeks, maybe.

Gerry Butler 3 years, 11 months ago

Unfortunetely for us, it really looks like this is going to have to end up in a class civil suit. Which does Cheick absolutely no good as this thing will drag out forever, even more then now, I truly hope I feel so sorry for him this kid has done nothing wrong. Like has been said unless we hear today, which you and I both know we won't the nothing will be done for the rest of the week because of thanksgiving, then comes the weekend & then Monday in which our next game, so nothing settled which in turn there is another game missed. This thing is beyond stupid, I feel really bad for the guy, we can only hope, but I feel we are beating a dead horse

Jesse O'Brien 3 years, 11 months ago

"Working on it? " working on what? Your job had already been done by KU. Maybe we should write the NCAA another letter informing them their job was completed weeks ago by Kansas.

Mo Meza 3 years, 11 months ago

It seems like this NCAA are very arrogant. They have the power and control. Reading the letter sent by theKU AD, you realize of their lack of communication with KU. It seems to me that the NCAA needs to be investigated. There is not much transparency on what they do. They seem to be making their own rules. What about hgettong together with those university considering to leave the NCAA and create their own organization.

Mo Meza 3 years, 11 months ago

In the way I see this is that Cheick Diallo and KU haven't been treated fairly. Reading the letter from KU to NCAA, it is clear of the lack of partnership.The way the MCAA has handled this case had beem totally unacceptable. This is not right. An investigation is in order.

Clark Groseth 3 years, 11 months ago

I thought I heard one of the play by play guys talking (surprise, surprise). He said the kid speaks four languages and is carrying 21 credits this semester. If that is correct, maybe we need to get him to speak to the NCAA in a language they can understand.

I've got it! How about some us old farts make some banners and placards then go to NCAA headquarters and protest like the college kids are now doing!

Marc Frey 3 years, 11 months ago

I would be surprised if he plays before the end of the first semester. If not but then, then never. I do not trust the NCAA Clearing House since their mission is the deny eligibility more that giving it.

Timothy Todd 3 years, 11 months ago

This tweet was posted around noon?

None by NCAA