Originally published November 19, 2015 at 09:46p.m., updated November 20, 2015 at 08:12a.m.

Diallo to travel to Maui

Kansas freshman Cheick Diallo, center, laughs with Dwight Coleby as they watch warmups prior to tipoff, Friday, Nov. 13, 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas freshman Cheick Diallo has received a waiver from the NCAA that allows him to travel to Maui for the Maui Invitational, sources close to the program told the Journal-World on Thursday night.

It should be stressed he has not yet been cleared to participate games in the Maui Invitational or any other games this season. The waiver merely grants him the opportunity to travel with the team. The NCAA Eligibility Center continues to examine Diallo’s academic materials to determine whether he’ll be eligible this year or not.

Friday morning, before KU left for the Hawaii event, KU coach Bill Self said in a release that a waiver was granted to allow Diallo the opportunity to travel with the team, and that the NCAA case is ongoing.

Earlier Thursday, Self said: “I am very optimistic they’ll be able to let him go (to Maui), but I’m not optimistic we’ll have an answer on playing. I am optimistic we’ll have an answer on playing (this season) before the tournament is over.”

KU’s squad is to practice at 6 a.m., in KU’s practice facility then later in the morning fly charter to Hawaii for the Maui Invitational. KU will meet Chaminade at 8 p.m., Central time, Monday.

Don Jackson, the attorney for Diallo’s guardian, told the Journal-World he is confident that the fact the NCAA reinstated another player — St. John’s guard Felix Balamou on Thursday — may bode well for Diallo. Various players nationally have been cleared the last couple weeks.

“I think this is a step in the right direction. Even though my client (guardian Tidiane Drame) has still not be interviewed (by NCAA) they are starting to review the information that has been provided. I am led to believe this is heading in the right direction. You could say I am cautiously optimistic (Diallo will be cleared soon),” Jackson added.

None by Kansas Basketball

Comments

Steve Zimmerman 5 years, 5 months ago

This is great news! But it still does not change the fact that NCAA is full of it.

Brett McCabe 5 years, 5 months ago

Justice Delayed is Justice Denied.

If there is any silver lining to what we hope is a positive ruling, it might be that this case could bring about some change in the way the NCAA operates. The approach that assumes all athletes are ineligible until they can prove that they are eligible is both backwards and unmanageable. Imagine if the IRS tried to audit every tax return (please don't send us down a rabbit hole with political responses).

In the end, though, remember that the NCAA is what its members - including KU - says it is.

Brian Skelly 5 years, 5 months ago

Agreed. Im of the mind that if the NCAA has enough pertinent information that he SHOULDNT play by tip off of the 1st game, than dont let him play. Otherwise, if they dont he should be playing.

If something crops up later, than fine, suspend him for whatever games. The threshold that needs to be crossed as been crossed with KU already. And it sounds like he's already completed a few summer classes and passed them.

I about busted a #$% when I read they were looking for transcripts of his in Mali... from sixth grade!!!

Keystones cops are alive and well.

Dave Miller 5 years, 5 months ago

I think there should be a rule, bylaw, whatever that makes the NCAA either allow or deny an athletes' eligibility before the first week of classes begins. Do not leave these athletes hanging and twisting in the wind for ever!

FREE DIALLO !!

Joe Joseph 5 years, 5 months ago

At the very least allow the athletes to play - without potential future harm to the institution - if no ruling has been made. The guilty until proven innocent thing slays...

Marc Frey 5 years, 5 months ago

I guess they have moved on down the grades to 4th grade. I think once his Kindergarten transcripts check out he may be clear to do pregame layup drills.

Ashwin Rao 5 years, 5 months ago

What really counts is the exercises that he did in his mom's womb.

Armen Kurdian 5 years, 5 months ago

I think he cheated at skeeball on his 7th birthday.

Gerry Butler 5 years, 5 months ago

This does sound encouraging, thing is I mean if the NCAA is allowing Cheick to practice with the team, and is allowing him to travel with the team, then surely one would think he will be cleared, so clear the kid for gosh sakes already, this is ridicilious , enough is enough already, they just cleared ANOTHER player that is at St Johns- - - - who's left to clear? The one thing I hope is, if and when Cheick does get cleared I hope as fans we don't just automatically think he is going to be the instant savior for our program, and clear up our problems, and lay to much pressure on him. Each game he misses just adds to the pressure to preform really well I believe in the fans expectations which isn't fair. It will take him some time to get himself in game condition, coach has said as much, again when he does get cleared lets watch him grow and get better he is a hell of a player but raw yet, definitely will help on boards but lets not put so much pressure on the guy to where he is in a no win situation for him, to no matter what he does we have some of these insane critics saying oh he is a bust a huge failure, THATS not going to happen. I'm sure he is going to be just fine, I as well as you will greet him with open arms. ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Dee Shaw 5 years, 5 months ago

Ashwin nice comments. That's really funny.

Edward Daub 5 years, 5 months ago

I am sure the NCAA will force overtime on Thanksgiving Day to work on resolving Diallo's case the day after the Maui Classic ends. Thank goodness he at least gets to travel with the team.

Breaking news from the NCAA in response to Jay Bilas. Diallo speaks only three languages, once he masters three more, he will be cleared. Just kidding.

James Smith 5 years, 5 months ago

Wow my thoughts and prayers go out for Cheick and his family and friends. I hope that all are safe with the recent events in Mali.

Caden Ford 5 years, 5 months ago

Well said Gerry. Hopefully, something happens before the game start in Maui which would allow Cheick to finally join us on the court. And I think people understand the whole not putting pressure on him. It's does put him in a tough spot though because then he may feel the need to meet expectations. I believe he can do it though as we all should! Hopefully the NCAA can figure it out ASAP! Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving! And RockChalk!

Jim Stauffer 5 years, 5 months ago

Well, if he does get cleared to play, we will have a solid back up for Traylor and Lucas.

Michael Bennett 5 years, 5 months ago

Haha, sadly I would not be surprised if this was the case...

Kent Richardson 5 years, 5 months ago

He doesn't have to practice missing chippies, so we are good there and he will have to beat out Hunter for third off the bench.

Mick Allen 5 years, 5 months ago

Well played Marc, Ashwin,Armen and Jim.

Kyle Sybesma 5 years, 5 months ago

The last thing I want to do is start a political debate on a sports website but with the NCAA screening process, I'd feel a lot safer if they were vetting incoming refugees rather than collegiate athletes.

Dee Shaw 5 years, 5 months ago

Just saw on KC Star web page that Brannen Greene has been suspended for 6 games for conduct detrimental to the team. Won't make the trip to Maui. That is sad. I like Brannen but seems like the young man has a hard time staying out of trouble and staying healthy. Pull your head out son.

Danny Hernandez 5 years, 5 months ago

IF that's true about Brannen, what's up? Can we catch a break?

Allin Herring 5 years, 5 months ago

Who gives a crap whether he travels or not! With academic issues it is better he stays home and studies! This guy was a last ditch attempt by Self to get a top 10 recruit that everyone else saw had issue and droped like a hot potato!

Marius Rowlanski 5 years, 5 months ago

That post sounds more like a 'Red Herring', then anything else.