Thursday, November 12, 2015

Diallo attorney concerned over alleged NCAA tweet

Kansas newcomer Cheick Diallo walks out to the field with his KU teammates as they are honored upon their arrival home after winning the gold medal while representing Team USA during the recent World University Games in South Korea.

Don Jackson, attorney who is working on KU freshman Cheick Diallo’s eligibility case, sent out an e-mail to media Thursday indicating the NCAA Eligibility Center was “incapable of objective analysis of African American and African student-athletes’ credentials for initial eligibility at NCAA member institutions.”

He expressed concern over a Tweet attributed to a higher-up in that NCAA department, who four days ago is said to have written on Twitter: “I Webmd’d the symptoms for Ebola. They’re identical to a hangover. Now I’ll think I have it every morning after wine wednesday #ebolajokes.”

Here’s attorney Jackson’s statement. The Journal-World is not using the NCAA official’s name because the Tweet has been unable to be located at this time. No officials were available for comment at the NCAA on Thursday night.

“Over the past several years, I have consistently stated my concerns about racial implications in many investigations that were initiated by the NCAA Eligibility Center and Enforcement Staff. Although I have been quite hesitant to directly state that investigators or representatives of the NCAA have ‘racist’ motivations, I have been quite open about the statistical disparities between the intensive reviews of African American and international athletes and other racial groups. Currently, there are a number of very high profile African American and native born African Basketball student-athletes whose eligibility is in question. The international student-athletes’ eligibility and academic futures are in the hands of the Eligibility Center and (more specifically) the group that oversees international student-athlete initial eligibility certifications. (Named person) oversees that group.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self remains confident Cheick Diallo will play for KU this season

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self meets with media members Thursday afternoon at Allen Fieldhouse to discuss the Jayhawks' season opener. But it didn't take long for the talk to turn toward freshman big man Cheick Diallo. Self discusses the freshman's impact at length and remains confident Diallo will play for ...

Download podcast

“Since my involvement in the Cheick Diallo matter became public several days ago, I have received no less than 40 calls and texts from coaches at various NCAA member institutions around the country about a Tweet from (Named Person). The tweet is attached. (Named Person’s) apparent effort to engage in an off color comedic comparison between Ebola symptoms and a ‘hangover’ are at the very core insensitive and potentially racist. In (this person’s) current position, (Named Person) has primary responsibility to certify the initial eligibility of African student-athletes for participation at NCAA member institutions. (The) comments demonstrate that (Named Person) is philosophically incapable of objectively rendering decisions on the academic credentials and amateur status of African student-athletes.

“It is undeniably clear that (this person’s) superiors at the NCAA were quite aware of (this person’s) philosophical disposition and racial views. (The) comments and philosophical leanings clearly demonstrate long held beliefs that render (this person) and the Eligibility Center incapable of objective analysis of African American and African student-athletes’ credentials for initial eligibility at NCAA member institutions.”

Jackson indicated in an e-mail other reporters also attempted to locate the tweet Thursday to no avail.

Jackson stated: “Interestingly, immediately after my involvement in the case became public knowledge, I had a number of calls from coaches and athletic administrators about the tweet. These were coaches from schools that are not impacted by the current investigations.”

Comments

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 2 months ago

Oh for God's sake, don't go down this road. What's this guy going to do? Get the whole Kansas basketball team to refuse to play because of a racial injustice to Diallo?

Jackson is lame. If tis is the kind of representation Diallo seeks, I don't care if Diallo ever wears a Kansas uniform.

Joe Ross 3 years, 2 months ago

Suzi, really?

Diallo has no idea what representation is best for him. He's probably been told that Jackson is the best out there given the number of eligibility cases he's handled. It's likely on that basis he was chosen and nothing else. But for you to transfer your misgivings about Jackson to Diallo and not care if the latter "...ever wears a Kansas uniform", then--with respect--your judgment is little better than Jackson's.

I'm tired of the race card being played too, but don't lose your head!

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 2 months ago

Lawyer's discuss strategy with their clients. If Diallo is against this type of approach, he should fire him right away.

Joe Ross 3 years, 2 months ago

It's awfully easy to be judgmental sitting where you are. You have an 18 year old kid who wants to play like nothing else, whose judgment is not fully developed, who is being given advice by an attorney who was recommended to him, who probably speaks with measured authority. The kid wants to play. The fault is the attorney's. Not Diallo's. I had really thought better of your opinion until this. A day or two from now when your anger has subsided a bit, Im sure you will regret comments that judged Diallo.

It's an unfair criticism, and no amount of justification will make it otherwise.

Eliott Reeder 3 years, 2 months ago

I saw this kind of response coming from you before I even finished the article, Suzi. Sorry if bringing institutional racism to light makes you uncomfortable. Must be hard having to hear about it all the time lately. Gosh, if we could only keep the status quo. All these lawyers and football players wanting racism to be eradicated just gets annoying sometimes doesn't it!

Joe Ross 3 years, 2 months ago

We all want Cheick to be cleared (well...maybe except Suzi, I guess), but we want it to happen the right way. There is enough evidence on Diallo's side that his attorney can do this without playing the race card. I just think it's unfortunate.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 2 months ago

I am thoroughly sick of "The Big Lie" and the politics of divines and envy perpetuated by the Obama Administration and their race hustlers.

Larry Jackson 3 years, 2 months ago

Obama Administration? No you didn't actually go there... All racial equality questions are instigated by Obama, right? Race issues never existed before Obama, right? Sadly, continue to cling to your guns, religion, and your antiquated politics. The rest of us will continue to move past you.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

"Sadly, continue to cling to your guns, religion,"

Haven't we heard something very similar to this in the past?

If you're going to use someone else's words, you should at least give them credit. If you were a journalist, you would be out of a job right now.

Joe Ross 3 years, 2 months ago

I have trouble believing that youre really that dogmatic. I mean not attending games Diallo plays in? That's in uncharted territory, Suzi. Really...just off the map.

Eyes bugged, jaw slacked, mind blown. Please tell me youre joking.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 2 months ago

I emphatically will not support his argument as represented by Jackson. Unless proven otherwise, it seems to be an outrageous lie.

This is a stawman approach in an effort to intimidate the NCAA and deflect attention away from the possible 'agent' deal he maybe involved with.

Joe Ross 3 years, 2 months ago

Few people disagree with your characterization of the problem, Suzi. I dont support the argument from Jackson either. But laying so much at the feet of Diallo is a response that is frenzied, frantic, and overwrought...

Most people here are expressing disappointment with the argument from Diallo's atty. But you have placed yourself on an island with the "not attending KU games this year" bit. I mean, REALLY! "Flabbergasting" is not even the word!

I dont have a problem recognizing that politics and sports often intersect. But there is such a thing as taking something too far. Blaming Diallo is not the solution for your misgiving.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 2 months ago

It is Diallo's decision as the type of representation he desires. I do not believe in the win at any cost approach. There are such things as ethics, morality and character that matter most. He has the choice to fire his attorney or issue a statement condemning and explaining his/attorney's actions..

Joe Ross 3 years, 2 months ago

Youre expecting a young 18-year old who 1. Is not as culturally aware of the nuances of race politics in America, 2. who relies on others for advice for who to represent him (because the kid lacks personal contacts at the level required to get decent representation in this kind of case), 3. has sacrificed and sacrificed to for a dream and probably been told he's ineligible (many guessing he's already in an appeals process) 4. who's judgment is not fully developed, to make a decision that is both best for himself and the most honorable. I say that's damn presumptuous of you. Diallo doesn't have the "win at any cost" approach. The kid has blinders on and just wants to play. He's probably naive enough to believe the attorney when he says that this case involves race. You are beside yourself. Morality and character, indeed. How about the morality that doesn't blame kids from over sensitivity?

You have a right to be dismayed by the attorneys argument. But your rights do not extend so far as to make you the moral arbiter of situations where naive kids dont make the decisions you want them to.

I'll say no more.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 2 months ago

Regardless of where one is from. He is a young adult and should learn to be responsible for his actions. I don't support those actions.

Benz Junque 3 years, 2 months ago

I still haven't seen anything that tells me that Diallo even IS this guy's client.

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 2 months ago

Exactly, all this drama about Diallo making the choice for representation and using the race card and it's NOT EVEN DIALLO'S LAWYER.

Brad Farha 3 years, 2 months ago

Joe Joseph 3 years, 2 months ago

I just wanted to see if this thread can get any more narrow.

Greg Ledom 3 years, 2 months ago

In this case, I don't want any of what your smoking, but hell Suzie, keep smoking that weed, it might eventually mellow you out. You are COMPLETELY and TOTALLY off base and I never use CAPS. You have completely blown your rep in one post. Nicely done.

Matthew Neal 3 years, 2 months ago

I've never commented on here, but Suzi your comments are so dumb I feel compelled. I highly doubt this strategy was discussed between client and attorney. This attorney has handled these cases before and knows what he's doing. Don't like it if you want, but saying you could care less if he ever plays for KU is just beyond stupid. What a condescending thing to say about a kid who hasn't done anything wrong.

Benz Junque 3 years, 2 months ago

You are aware that he isn't Diallo's lawyer, right?

Greg Ledom 3 years, 2 months ago

I have to agree with Joe's post in total. Let's also not forget that Jackson is representing Diallo's legal guardian and not Diallo. As it currently and legally stands that is, and no, I'm not naive enough to think Diallo playing isn't the ultimate goal. Just saying Diallo isn't under contract with Jackson as his legal representation. HIs guardian is, and thus conversations will be between those two. I also don't think the ebola tweet has anything to do with race, but I'm also not naive enough to not listen to someone who deals with these folks all the time and what he may or may not go up against on a regular basis. Don't let the Misery mess cloud your views on other situations that could be legitimate claims. Let's do what Misery didn't have the patience and balls to do; let it play out.

Caden Ford 3 years, 2 months ago

"I want Diallo to be cleared as much as anyone, but if Diallo succeeds using this argument, I won't attend any KU games Diallo plays, even the NC should we be fortunate to reach it."

Suzi, I really believe that you don't mean this...but it's hard not to feel that you are being slightly over the top and that you don't even care if Cheick is cleared. Actually...I'm going to just come out and say it. You sound COMPLETELY ridiculous! Hopefully Cheick gets cleared (the right and respectful way of course) then we'll wait to see how your posts change on this site..Really disappointed at that post. Such a shame.. For goodness sake, Cheick doesn't even know the situation. Heck, he can't even call his family back home to tell them about the process.. It is really hard for me to believe that you would just downright not support this kid and his effort to play basketball for our institution when all he wants to do is succeed and make a dream a reality for not only himself, but his family too. Of course we want to make a Final Four, and win a NC. You don't think he wants to help us do that.?? Hopefully he gets his chance!

Dale Rogers 3 years, 2 months ago

Diallo did not hire him so cannot fire him. Diallo's guardian hired him. But I agree there is nothing racist here, at least from what we can see. Maybe there are a lot of black student-athletes under eligibility investigation but how does that ratio compare to the ratio of black student-athletes? Is there really a racist issue here? My feeling is this attorney is likely to tank any chance of the NCAA pushing this through just because now he's playing the race card.

Ryan Sullivan 3 years, 2 months ago

Screw it, go with whatever strategy works. Play the race card - if that's what you want to call this. I don't think playing the A-hole card would work, although that's all the ncaa is. Don't call them racist then, call them hijackers, call them racketeers. The ncaa is a very bad organization, so I don't feel sorry for anything that is said about them.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 2 months ago

You're entire argument is flawed because Cheick Diallo did not hire Don Jackson. Tidiane Drame hired Jackson so Drame is the official client of Don Jackson.

Robin Smith 3 years, 2 months ago

There's no card being played, unless you call it making a play when calling a spade a spade.

Underlying all the discussion of eligibility and amateurism is that the system through entrenched power structures has disenfranchised people, and it clearly does so at a disproportionately higher rate for certain kids as a result of both race and class. I won't get into all of the levels of the disenfranchisement entailed in amateurism as a whole, since that is written about elsewhere (and well), but with eligibility, just consider that academically they are employing a special kind of scrutiny for players of foreign (let's be honest: African) origin, doubting the quality of their academic accomplishments through what can only be called prejudice, that somehow African schools are more likely to be suspect. We should all stop and think about what we really know about Africa and the school system there before we decide we're qualified to judge the veracity of this belief. Either way, they're utilizing a level of scrutiny that they don't apply evenly. Additionally, the other kind of player who gets an uneven level of scrutiny are those from extreme poverty -- Traylor who missed a year a school because he was homeless, or McLemore whose school closed through no fault of his own. As Dostoevsky said, "Honoured sir, poverty is not a vice".

If you recognize that class and race have some correlations in this country, you can see that both the state of impoverishment and the closing of the school, whether directly or indirectly, are related to systemic structures. There are a range of demonstrable historic factors that have been shown to perpetuate these inequities. For instance, housing and districting regulations, or rental discrimination, as well other social issues like sustained wage inequities and a bunch of other things that all combine in an insidious way. What you have is a system that not only prevents American citizens and accepted immigrants from making an income commensurate to their labor, but that goes even further to limit certain specific people from even participating. This is explicitly antithetical to the American Dream.

Jackson is taking the winning tact. Discrimination of this kind is simply illegal, especially in a system where there's a class of people who have no voice in the profitting from their skills, efforts, and time.

LJ Gee 3 years, 2 months ago

to be fair, if they're questioning the quality of education in Africa, its probably not because of the color of the skin of the inhabitants, first of all. Secondly, a much higher number of eligibility cases in MCBB and FB are going to be with black student athletes b/c the vast majority of student athletes in those sports are black. Of course nobody claims racial bias on that.

I think this tactic is, at least in this case, intellectually dishonest. I could definitely see how they are not equipped to make decisions on African born players but to take that joke, which is mostly just stupid, and claim it means he has deeply racist views and motivations is quite a leap. This is without question, a shameless race card play.

That said, I hope it works

Robin Smith 3 years, 2 months ago

Fair points. Your first one, especially.

I would still say that a joke like that bespeaks a low level of sophistication with regards to the modern discourse on race. Obviously it's not big-R racism, exactly, but more of a microaggression that is rather to be regarded as emblematic of the underlying perspective of the people involved.

The import and implication of what a person says does not have to be conciously understood by the person, so it's perfectly plausible that the person who posted that joke has in their heart the purest of intentions and would refrain from making such jokes if they understood the implicit impact that even such seemingly trivial comments contribute to the the thing that actually makes victims of minorities: systemic oppression.

This is not a distortion to make these kinds of connections. These social inequities exist wholly as the sum total of all the minute and discreet instances, so it can seem like one is major and one is minor--that a joke like this doesn't matter, while interring Japanese Americans during WW2 does matter (just for instance)--but they are linked, and you only eliminate the greater complex by working out all the specifics.

People need to understand why this joke and other jokes of its kind (and the ideas that underly them, manifesting as jokes) accumulate into a complex of attitudes that support systemic inequities and for targeted groups leads ultimately to the very real threat of physical violence. I'm not being dramatic, though admittedly pedantic :-)

Len Shaffer 3 years, 2 months ago

Thank you, Robin, for being the anti-Suzi in this thread. Your post is extremely well-written and thoughtful -- in other words, everything that Suzi's idiotic, Fox News-type rant is not.

Jim Keen 3 years, 2 months ago

"Fox News-type rant" ? Really Len? Do you even watch Fox News? Do you even know what your are talking about? Try watching Bret Baire tonight at 5:00 (CST). You may be surprised.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

You're right on target about the social structures and cycle of poverty most of which were put in place under the Johnson administration but aren't we getting just a little off track?

Whether or not Diallo plays a single game this year, he will be getting a multimillion dollar contract next year. Diallo came from Mali to the United States to live the American Dream and he will.

Jaston Archie 3 years, 2 months ago

So everyone here believes Diallo is completely innocent, he wasn't aware of the attorney's strategy from the outset, and even though he's aware now it's not his duty to fire the guy or at least ask him to pursue a different path. But I guarantee if Diallo was at Kentucky instead of KU he would be getting wrung through the mud and criticized and called everything but a child of God.

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 2 months ago

It's not Diallo's attorney so there is no reason to assume Diallo is in the middle of all strategic conversations.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

If you say he isn't Diallo's attorney, i'm willing to take your word for it but why is he making incendiary comments and why does the LJW say that he is Diallo's attorney?

Just look at the title of this article "Diallo attorney concerned over alleged NCAA tweet'.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 2 months ago

Don Jackson was hired by Tidiane Drame who is Cheick Diallo's legal guardian to do what KU can't do in regards to going after the NCAA.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

I got that but Diallo is an adult and the Kansas Laws on Guardianship and Conservatorship state that at 18 Diallo is his own guardian although he could maintain the relationship voluntarily. Still, if my dad hired an attorney for me, he is my attorney.

In all honesty Aaron, I just want Diallo cleared. ALL this is nothing more than a side show. I wish I had never commented or been drawn into this discussion.

John Randall 3 years, 2 months ago

Suzi – we've all read enough of your comments to be aware that you value your own opinions far too highly to be considered objective – in any sense of the word.

One criticism most are too polite to point out is your blatant sense of superiority – intellectually, of course, but even more morally – you simply cloak yourself in the guise of infallibility.

I have, myself spent a good deal of my life cloaked in this kind of misapprehension, and suffered mightily when wisdom provided enough clues much that arrogance has bitten the dust. It's painful but inevitable to discover the truth is that we, too, are each one of the hoi poloi. Sad, but true.

Jaston Archie 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree Suzi, this is is the most shameful thing I have ever heard. There was nothing racist at all about that tweet, this attorney is just trying to take advantage of a racially tense climate in this country to get his clients eligible. I'm opposed to the NCAA for a variety of reasons but this is just too low and quite frankly if Diallo is willing to sell his integrity to become eligible and get someone fired in the process I don't think I want him playing for KU anyway

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

To be honest, I just thought it was a bad joke but after reading some of the comments here, I can see how the joke could be perceived as racist. It certainly wasn't necessary.

I didn't know that there were Ebola jokes but after doing a web search, there seems to be several sites devoted to be Ebola jokes of which the majority can be construed as racist.

Sometimes, I feel that we are being so oversensitive about race issues but then most of those issues don't affect me.

Caden Ford 3 years, 2 months ago

Really guys?? I understand that Jackson's argument is pretty ridiculous, but to blame Cheick and say he is willing to do this or that to become eligible?? Come on now...THAT is ridiculous. The kid barely knows what is going in this situation just like all of us. He just wants to play for crying out loud. Therefore, if his best interest was to have a lawyer hired than so be it. But don't think for a second that he is wanting this to happen. He just wants to play. That being said, Jackson shouldn't be pressing towards these implications. Just let the process handle itself and represent this kid in a fair and suiting manner. Just hoping for the best for Cheick. He deserves a chance! Anyways, Goodluck tonight boys! RockChalk!!

Joe Ross 3 years, 2 months ago

Most sensible comment on the topic thus far. Kudos, Caden.

John Randall 3 years, 2 months ago

The (named person) has put him/her self in this situation and is not likely to acknowledge that dealing off the bottom of the deck is just the way (named person) thinks things should be done.

Seems like a coerced apology is only the first step in long hike up a steep hill –– eh what?

Brad Farha 3 years, 2 months ago

Posted above, but it bears mentioning here : I don't think it's Diallo's decision. I don't even think Jackson is his attorney. I think his legal guardian secured this representation, so Diallo has minimal control here anyway.

Matt Gauntt 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Joe - great comment Caden - well said

Rodney Crain 3 years, 2 months ago

Buckle up everyone this is going to be a very bumpy ride. I thought Thon Maker was getting bad advice, this dream team is something else.

For those keeping score there are now 14 top 100 recruits left, only 7 left in the top 20. Of the 14 left KU has extended offers to 9 of them. Does not look like all the top recruits are waiting till the spring to sign either.

Experience, elite living quarters, schedule, path to the NBA, TV, travel, elite training experience, gold medal, playing time, ability to start in the post do not seem to make any difference to recruits any more.

The sky is not falling but it is starting to get awful dark outside...

Ashwin Rao 3 years, 2 months ago

Not sure why everyone is so hard on Diallo. I bet that he has no idea what is happening (things are going too slow (NCAA) and fast (weird Lawyer) at the same time).

The lawyer is not doing anything to help the case (this tactic will force the NCAA to clamp down further), but this is their battle. Just sit back and relax. We will be OK regardless of the outcome.

Brett McCabe 3 years, 2 months ago

You don't hire attorneys to play nice, or to lead "the parade of gentlemen". You hire them to get things done. The attorney is trying to flip the field and put the NCAA immediately on defense, and he needs to use whatever tool is available to do that. Right now, he has the Mizzou events, a bad ebola joke and an upcoming nationally televised game against Izzo in his tool bag, he'd be a fool not to use them.

For those who have never been in a fight before, this is what it looks like. As my dad taught me and my brothers, it you go looking for a fight, you are probably going to find one. Looks like the NCAA got what they were looking for. I'd much rather Jackson turn up the heat to 11 right now and try to get this thing done than for it to drag out into further drama and distraction deep into the season.

Personally, the tweet seems like a big reach, though I'm interested in learning more about the statistics on investigations that Jackson is referencing. The NCAA certainly should easily be able to prove that they's been fair and balanced in their investigations.

Doug Longstaff 3 years, 2 months ago

I'm already resigned to the fact that Diallo will never play in a Kansas uniform. Right, wrong, whatever.....it ain't gonna happen.

But to add insult to injury by adding this race-baiting ambulance chaser to the mix.....I recommend Jason Whitlock's recent piece on Crying Wolfe. We don't really want to be a part of the problem. Fining reason to be offended by a silly joke so clearly not intended to involve race (it's a disease that white people get too, folks) is a part of the problem.

Joe Joseph 3 years, 2 months ago

"We" aren't part of the problem. Diallo's attorney has no connection to the University.

Benz Junque 3 years, 2 months ago

And if anyone should know, it's Jason Whitlock, who has made a career screaming about race injustices.

Larry Jackson 3 years, 2 months ago

Agreed Brett. An aggressive attorney willing, and capable to capitalize on every available opportunity is the intent. (Much like what our J-hox will need to play like against Mich. St.) The NCAA now understands they face a public, negative, media, battle. Can they withstand the scrutiny they espouse? At this point, the NCAA has more to lose than gain. I applaud student athletes getting representation in NCAA matters. Let's shed some light on this organization, shall we?

Adam Collins 3 years, 2 months ago

This is from Self's press conference yesterday:

“There’s no bad people,” he said. “Nobody’s done anything wrong (or is) trying to say ‘We’re out to get somebody.’ Nobody believes that....

Clearly, Self knew that getting a lawyer involved was going to get ugly. He is trying to stay above the fray. He's also made comments about how when a lawyer gets involved, it's out of the University's hands what happens. Sounds like he is trying to distance himself to avoid any future repercussions with the clearing house.

Matthew Peters 3 years, 2 months ago

First off the text from unnamed person does show racial insensitivity for somebody with that position to actually have the thought process to tweet that is ridiculous. This person undoubtedly has reviewed many cases from counties where hundreds of thousands of people have died from a "hangover". Anyone can see how dysfunctional the NCAA is in regards to who they let play cbball regardless if it is someone from overseas or not. If there is any aspect where any member of the ncaa shows that they are not capable of making good judgement should be fired.. shame on anyone from this sight if they try to back the NCAA over an attorney trying to fight not only for cheick diallo but many other foreign born players who cannot help their own situation but rely on the "oversight commitee" of the absurdly impractical practices of the NCAA who can do whatever they please with anyone at anytime and not have to show their reasoning. The NCAA is a fraud. First time post after eight yearson the site suzi marshall you have a lot of growing up to do along with "jaybate" and yourself i have seen some of the most immature posts i have read anywhere on internet.

John Boyle 3 years, 2 months ago

It's a bad joke but racial insensitive, no. You have to make a big jump to get to that and unless this guys at the NCAA has made other racially insensitive comments then there is nothing here except poor judgement on a attempt to make a joke. People trying to make every comment and action about race are actually hurting the cause more than they are helping. Refer back to: http://j.school/post/133025099640/crying-wolfe-exposes-real-problem

Danny Hernandez 3 years, 2 months ago

Matthew, Poor joke and racially insensitive especially coming from someone at the NCAA office. Everyone will have an opinion here but to many people including me, its racially insensitive. Of course, there will be those that differ, hallelujah. When I hire an attorney, it's not to play nice guy and the NCAA Clearinghouse hasn't played nice with Cheick. I can't imagine what Cheick has been experiencing with this waiting game and if his attorney is able to come away with a win, then it could be a win for other student/athletes.

Jim Stauffer 3 years, 2 months ago

What is the worst case scenario if BGL and SZ and Self decide the NCAA is being unfair to a kid and go ahead and play him and win the NC.? Having the games forfeited by the NCAA and their title rescinded?

Is that worse than finishing the season at the Sweet Sixteen level by not playing a kid who is the key to having your best season in 8 years?

The final thing is it would break this system up and force the administrators to come up with a better system for getting kids like Cheick qualified.

John Boyle 3 years, 2 months ago

That's just wrong. First off, we wouldn't just have to forfeit the NC we would be put on probation for who knows how many years. It would kill the program. You can get as ticked off at the NCAA as you want but to suggest that we knowingly cheat and go against their rules is ridiculous.

John Randall 3 years, 2 months ago

There still one fact left out of the discussion:

the NCAA (in whole and in all its nefarious parts) is a creature of the member schools. An honest cynic would have to admit that NCAA exists because those member schools need a scapegoat to blame for many of the responsibilities they cannot (or at least DO not) meet on their own. The big,bad guy is not "them", it is "us."

Benz Junque 3 years, 2 months ago

First of all, Diallo isn't the difference between losing in the Sweet Sixteen and winning a national title.

Second of all, it would be completely unfair to every other player on the team who would have the stigma on them that their accomplishments were tainted.

And lastly, you are basically telling every other member of the team that you do not think they are good enough to win without Diallo. Not exactly a great way to build the confidence of the rest of the team.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

I don't know John. Seems that UNC has for almost 2 decades given credit to athletes for made-up classes and not much reaction from the NCAA.

McCants stated he was on the Dean's list although he didn't attend classes.

David Brown 3 years, 2 months ago

NCAA just granted Tacko Fall (Central Florida) an academic waiver, so he'll be able to play in their game on Saturday. Fall's classes at a prep school were being looked at. Perhaps this is a good sign for Cheick Diallo? Or, no connection at all?

Caden Ford 3 years, 2 months ago

I saw that as well. That's good news for Tacko. That being said, I think his matter was more focused only on classes at his prep school. Cheick's supposedly has been a mix between prep courses and other info, as well as potentially his guardian here in the U.S (Tidan Drame or however it is spelled) so hopefully this is somewhat in the right direction. But if the eligibility case is being held because of the relationship with the guardian....then the Jackson needs to do his job and get the NCAA focused on only the academic and eligibility parts. Here's hoping to some good news shortly in the future!

James Hubin 3 years, 2 months ago

Don Jackson should not have used the term racism. However, racial bias is an innate flaw in many people and institutional racial bias has developed in numerous organizations, potentially in the NCAA as well.

It should be easy for the NCAA to prove Mr. Jackson wrong, when the NCAA puts forth the statistics that they equally target academic qualifications for all races and genders in every sport governed NCAA guidelines.

Antidotially, why would a seventeen year-old kid that graduated from a Ukrainian high school receive little to no scrutiny, while Diallo who graduated from an accredited high school in the US goes under the magnifying glass? Additionally, how did Diallo pass KU admissions get into an American Academic University, without properly passing high school?

Finally, relating a major epidemic in Africa that has killed thousands and caused horrific death and tragedy to parts of the country, to a hangover after mid-week wine night is inappropriate. No one would ever tweet such jokes about the Holocaust or 911.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

Innate - inborn; natural

Racism or racial bias is anything but innate. Sadly, racism is a learned behavior.

James Hubin 3 years, 2 months ago

You are absolutely correct. Poor word choice. Racial tendencies are most likely a nurtured behavioral response to society.

Joe Joseph 3 years, 2 months ago

At some point in time this is going to become less of a 'Diallo needs to be cleared so KU can reach its full potential' to 'this ongoing controversy is limiting KU from reaching its full potential.'

The media attention this story is going to continue to receive is going to become real tiring for Bill Self and the players. I hope Diallo is cleared and I hope this brings about some change to the way the NCAA operates, but at some point in time this (the media storm) is going to become a major detriment to the team.

Elias Dunlavy 3 years, 2 months ago

obviously Suzi, (like many of us) have lived a life of white privilege only she doesn't recognize it because she is to set in her bigoted ways to open her eyes to the real world

Elias Dunlavy 3 years, 2 months ago

I hope this is the Mathew Peters I think it is

Matthew Peters 3 years, 2 months ago

you sir are correct i sent you a message

wow i cant believe we ditched school to see the royals lose 100 games....and now they have won the championship...time flies

Bert White 3 years, 2 months ago

Ebola's racist??? I was unaware of this... Someone should tell the virus this because I remember during the last outbreak there were white and Asian people that got it as well.

I'm all for making the NCAA look bad in terms of their eligibility process, and ALOT of people have done so in terms of Diallo's case already. But claiming a Ebola joke is race related when race wasn't mentioned in the joke is stupid at best and ignorant at the very least. If the tweet was about HIV would Jackson of said the official was insensitive to the LGBT community, because everyone knows HIV is only a homosexual disease???

Hands down this theory makes me think Jackson is either stupid because his argument is so stupid or his case is hitting a road block so he's trying to grasp onto any low hanging fruit he can to get the NCAA to clear Diallo. But I only see these allegations as something that if this official is on Diallo's case, make him want to keep Diallo out as long as he can...

Danny Hernandez 3 years, 2 months ago

Per the CDC, The 2014 Ebola epidemic is the largest in history, affecting multiple countries in West Africa. Maybe it's a stretch to call it a racism tweet but.....The NCAA person that sent that tweet is a moron.

Bert White 3 years, 2 months ago

I agree someone in a public position especially that of a somewhat controversial entity as the NCAA, which is an academic entity at that, should know better than to publicly post a joke that could be considered offensive (personally the only offensive element to it is that it is making light of an illness that has killed thousands recently). Personally anyone who can get racist from a joke about a non-race specific illness like;

Either thinks everything is racist or tries to find racist motives where there are little to none, or wants to imply racism to further their cause (rather it be to gain something or to just spread racism and/or hatred their self).

Honestly if anyone on here TRULY sees that joke as racist I'd love to hear a logical reason as to why... And know if you actually find;

“I Webmd’d the symptoms for bird flu. They’re identical to a hangover. Now I’ll think I have it every morning after wine wednesday.”

Racist to Asians because this is IDENTICAL to the reasons someone should find the original racist to blacks. Or...

“I Webmd’d the symptoms for HIV. They’re identical to a hangover. Now I’ll think I have it every morning after wine wednesday.”

Offensive to the LGBT community (I think the experts have recently found out HIV also spreads to non-homosexual people, but only if they are poor or drug users #medicaladvancements #whoknewtheearthwasntflat)... I mean I could play the hate version of 7 degrees of Kevin Bacon and find racist implements that aren't really there in pretty much anything...

"Kansas... Although they were against slavery during the civil war, there's 2 S's in it, which you know what other word has two S's??? Slaves #illuminati-theory"

It's an extreme example of pulling something where there was nothing out of my A** for the word Kansas, but still... heheh...

I really need to start writing some apology letters to farmers I guess because I've made some jokes about walking by people and farting before... I didn't mean to offend their crops and that atleast has a clearer cut connection to a specific entity that could find it offensive...

LJ Gee 3 years, 2 months ago

everyone is talking about whether Diallo is to blame and if the tactics of the lawyer are fair or not but to me there's something much more worrisome here. It sounds like Jackson would like nothing more than a landmark race case against the NCAA. If thats the case, he's not going to be trying to get Diallo on the court b/c its not in his best interest for this to get resolved out of court - at least not soon.

Two reasons I say this are his quote about his long held beliefs about racism in the NCAA and two, I really dont think this is the best tact to take if you want something resolved quickly and easily. It seems to me this could only serve to make the NCAA dig their heels in more. Im quite sure they dont like being called racists and we've seen before they dont care about threats.

It sounds like Jackson has his sights set on a public battle and he's determined that playing the race card in this climate is advantageous. Now I have no idea if maybe its just that they already know he isnt going to play anyway, but this turn of events does not bode well for Diallo's chances of being on the court any time soon, and thats unfortunate.

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 2 months ago

good news for Diallo? Tacko Fall of Senegal has been granted an academic waiver to play for UCF in the season opener.

Hopefully Diallo is next...

Benz Junque 3 years, 2 months ago

If he isn't cleared by next Tuesday when the whole sport gathers in Chicago for the Champions Classic, it will turn into a giant s--t show for the NCAA.

The vast majority of the media that cover the sport as well as representatives from every NBA team will be there to watch NBA prospects and you can 100% guarantee that the NCAA will be getting bashed ALL DAY and in the subsequent coverage of the games afterwards.

LJ Gee 3 years, 2 months ago

its never made a difference to them before. What was the turkish kid's name who went to kentucky and was a top 10 recruit - the 7 footer? He never played. (also, if anyone is keeping count, he was white and had the same issue)

Why would they care all of a sudden now? Do they ever get GOOD press?

Zach Mitts 3 years, 2 months ago

Enes Kanter, and his situation was quite a bit different. He literally played for, and got paid by, a professional Turkish team before going to Kentucky.

Freddie Garza 3 years, 2 months ago

Can WE sue the NCAA for wasting everybody's precious time?!

Larry Jackson 3 years, 2 months ago

Media coverage is what the atty seeks. Suzi, "by whatever means necessary". Don't get your panties in a bunch over initial tactics of an atty. Many have an axe to grind with the NCAA. This atty just advertised for any such cases in order to bolster his case. The NCAA does not need a poor public perception issue. I hope this atty instigates an investigation into the NCAA similar to your Benghazi committee, Suzi.

Clark Groseth 3 years, 2 months ago

Would it be too much to ask if y'all did a little spell checking before you post? Yah, I can comprehend when you forget apostrophes or misspell words. When I do that, a big old red line appears under the word. It's hard for me to ignore that nag.

Sometimes, however, these little faux pas (Dang! I don't know how to italicize!) detract from just what the poster is trying to say.

Just sayin'...

Bert White 3 years, 2 months ago

Add an asterisk to each side of the word seems to make it turn italic

Kristen Downing 3 years, 2 months ago

This is just a tatic to speed things along. Wish it was a distraction for a different team and really wish it happened during the summer. Once again, our first nationally televised game, the talk will be about eligibility problems and not basketball skills. Small chance this tatic works before Tuesday?

Randy VandenHoek 3 years, 2 months ago

My frustration is not with the kid or the attorney, but the inconsistent NCAA. A week ago, this player (Fall) from UCF, was told he could not even practice. Yet today they grant him a waiver to play in games. In a matter of one week!

Kent Noble 3 years, 2 months ago

Come on really people. Diallo committed to the University of Kansas back in April. The NCAA should have already had this taken care of before fall classes even started. Not only is Diallo trying to become eligible now racism has come into play. This is only going to delay the process futher. We all know by now the NCAA likes to throw there power around when it comes to College athletes. But if the NCAA backs down because of someones TWEET who might be involved with the NCAA. So be it! Get the kid on the floor and lets play basketball.

Andrew Horigan 3 years, 2 months ago

Diallo is from Africa. Hundreds of thousands of Africans have been killed by this disease. A person working for the organization that is overseeing the eligibility of Diallo, sent an incredibly insensitive tweet that basically makes fun of the deaths in Africa. Now an attorney for Diallo wants to point this out and shed light on this incredibly stupid tweet. If this helps put pressure on the NCAA then this is a good move. If this were reversed and a terrible disease was killing hundreds of thousands of Americans, and someone from another country that isn't affected by the disease makes a joke about it, I'd bet a lot of us would be pretty offended. Even if this puts just a little more pressure on the NCAA, why wouldn't you point this out? I don't blame Diallo, THE KID WANTS TO PLAY BASKETBALL and his attorney should take whatever means necessary to do so, including pointing out a very insensitive tweet by the same organization that is stopping him from playing.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

Just want to be clear.... the continent of Africa is off-limits when making a joke. To be fair, I believe all the other continents deserve to be treated equally.

Vernon Riggs 3 years, 2 months ago

The legal process is like sausages, it is better not to see it being made.

Don Everett 3 years, 2 months ago

The first thing that needs to be noted here is that Suzi commented. Anything she/he has to say is the majority of the time beyond ridiculous. Steer clear of anything posted and you will all be a lot better off.

Don Everett 3 years, 2 months ago

If you question my statement, just go back to nearly all the past statements/posts by Suzi.

Humpy Helsel 3 years, 2 months ago

OK. It's on now. People don't like this attorney and his tactics... Well, we don't like the approach unless stuff happens to our own children, and then things look much different. I am glad this young man has his own representation in this situation. I stand by my statement these kids with prolonged, and questionable issues regarding eligibility should be provided their own counsel as a routine order of business, and I think the NCAA should foot the bill for their counsel. The schools have representation, the NCAA does, and so should these kids who get caught up in things they can't control. This suggestion was challenged by another blogger by saying the NCAA should not pay for such representation due to an inherent conflict of interest. Gee...I guess the schools and the NCAA have no conflicts of interest here. For just a moment, put yourself in this kid's shoes. Would you want your own legal representation? I damn sure would. On the issue of the "race card..." Smart legal, hard ball move.

Matt Spitzli 3 years, 2 months ago

Do I believe that African student athletes are subject to a higher level of NCAA scrutiny than, say, Ukrainian athletes, based on pre-conceptions about Africa's quality of education? Sure, that's reasonable. The attorney may have a point.

In any case, I'm glad he's going hard against the NCAA. Diallo is obviously a smart guy and a dedicated student. Play the card if it's dealt to you.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 2 months ago

Did you hear that the first case of bird flu was reported in America recently?

President Bush is gonna bomb the Canary Islands.

I have now made a racist statement to everyone who lives in Asia. Please forgive me. My life of white privilege has blinded me to the implied racism towards all Asians.