Sunday, November 8, 2015

KU football adds D-Lineman to 2016 recruiting class

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football coach David Beaty has talked all season about the difficulty associated with upgrading the defensive line, a position where the Jayhawks are thin and inexperienced.

Sunday, Beaty and company took a step in changing that when they received an oral commitment from DeeIsaac Davis, a 6-foot-3, 290-pound defensive tackle from Highland Community College.

Davis, who hails from the Wichita area, attended Eastern Arizona during his first season of college football. He recorded 76 tackles and earned all-conference honors there before moving on to Highland, where, this season, he has recorded 76 tackles and five sacks.

Linebackers coach Kevin Kane and D-Line coach Calvin Thibodeaux played key roles in recruiting Davis, who informed KU coach David Beaty of his decision Sunday. He chose Kansas over offers from Idaho and Southern Miss.

“(The KU coaches) said they need a three technique player and they like my hands and feel I can go in and contribute right away,” Davis told JayhawkSlant.com's Jon Kirby. “I am looking forward to getting there and competing.”

Davis plans to graduate in December and report to KU in time for spring football.

“I'm still in shock,” Davis told Kirby. “This has always been a dream of mine. I have played against other players who are playing in the Big 12 and I look forward to the competition. I hope to contribute early.”

Comments

Brett McCabe 4 years ago

Great news made better by the fact that he'll be on-campus for the spring. Beaty and crew are already showing a much more intelligent approach to recruiting than the two previous regimes.

Come on down Amani, the defensive line is going to be strong!

Michael Maris 4 years ago

It's good that the Jayhawks Football Staff secured a verbal commitment from a DL'man the day after the U. of Texas game. Keep it up Coach Beaty and Staff members.

I do hope that Amani Bledsoe commits to the Jayhawks. I know that's asking for a lot. But, it would be a good stepping stone to keeping the kids at home (unlike the Lawrence, Kansas High School OL'man who decided to take his game westerly down I-70 and play for the WildCats a season ago).

I'm not saying that Bledsoe' commitment would be a Lifesaver. But, it would be a big step in the direction of righting the ship with-in Jayhawks Football program.

Brett McCabe 4 years ago

We've offered Bledsoe, McCoy (Topeka High) and the DB from Olathe North. If we could somehow win those three recruiting battles, it would be a huge, huge signal that KU is on it's way back as an in-state force in football.

I'd also like to see us take another look at Torneden from Free State. He's committed to NDSU, and I don't believe we ever recruited him, but I've seen FSHS play twice this year and the kid just stands out. I think that he could be either a top-notch safety or a possession receiver for us.

Michael Maris 4 years ago

I would agree on your statement. Not that I intended to leave out Mike McCoy (from Topeka) or Isaiah Simmons (from Olathe North). It's just that Bledsoe is actually in the back yard (as was Scott Frantz, who decided to take his game to Manhattan, Kansas). For sure have to win the battle for players that are truly in your own back yard. Just like K-State fans would not like Kansas plucking kids out Manhattan, Ft. Riley or Junction City.

Michael Lorraine 4 years ago

How old does Snyder have to be before kids realize he might not be coaching much longer? He's 76 now. He'll be 80 by the time next years incoming class become seniors.

Brett McCabe 4 years ago

Listened to a recruiting guru on the radio who said that every competing coach is just pounding this message at recruits. At some point, you would think that it would have an impact. Just listening to Snyder on the radio...it sounds like old Gramps with a wispy voice.

Our timing with Beaty was late, but still good. If we can show improvement next year, we might be able to flip the table on old Bill.

Michael Lorraine 4 years ago

Bowden coached until he was 80 and Paterno until he was 85 but those are the exceptions to the rule. I think he wants to see his program through realignment and who knows when that will be. He’s created quite a coaching tree and the list of candidates is lengthy. It will be interesting to see who takes over.