Wednesday, May 27, 2015

KU commitment Vick 50/50 on reclassifying

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

LaGerald Vick sees positives in starting his college basketball career during the 2015-16 season rather than attending prep school for a year.

“It could be a big advantage, especially being under coach Self,” Vick, a 6-foot-5 senior combo guard from Douglass High in Memphis, Tennessee, told Rivals.com at Under Armour’s Session Three of its spring circuit last weekend in New York.

“I don’t really know at the moment. It’s still 50/50,” Vick added of his decision to perhaps reclassify from 2016 to 2015 and play for KU starting this season rather than 2016-17.

It’s believed Vick, who orally committed to Kansas University on May 17, after taking care of some paperwork ultimately will opt for 2015 and play for KU in this summer’s World University Games in South Korea.

Team Thad AAU coach Norton Hurd told Zagsblog.com a decision on reclassifying should be coming “mid or late this week.”

“Getting stronger, working on my handle a little more,” Vick said, asked for areas of needed improvement.“I’m a highly-good player,” he added after averaging 26.8 points in four games for (3-1) Team Thad. “A combo guard who can shoot. I can do it all basically.”

He averaged 26.0 points and 11.0 rebound a game for Douglass this past season after netting 24.0 points with 8.0 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 3.0 steals in 2013-14. He just recently was moved from No. 137 to No. 33 in the Class of 2016 by Rivals.com.

“It was the history of it,” Vick said of the reason he chose KU over Kentucky, Kansas State, Auburn and others. “It is a good program. I felt it was home for me there.

“I talked to Wayne Selden,” Vick added of the KU junior guard. “He talked highly of the program, told me what coach Self was about and what he wasn’t about, stuff like that.”

Comments

Shannon Gustafson 6 years, 3 months ago

Can't say I've seen that large of a jump in ranking before!

Jonathan Briles 6 years, 3 months ago

If he does reclassify for this class it would make the third straight year we signed a guard who was either low ranked or unranked and then shot up the rankings. Mason and Graham the past two years were very low ranked, but well known to be underrated and after we got them they shot up the rankings. Self is showing a habit of nabbing underrated guys who have serious talent, but will take a few years to really polish it up, which is perfect for us because guards are the most important players to have experience.

Doug Longstaff 6 years, 3 months ago

This is true. Some might question whether getting a scholarship to KU might help boost the ranking a little, BUT TO BE FAIR TO VICK, Bossi and others have been talking about how underrated he is for a long time before he committed to KU. Which makes me wonder--if he's that underrated, how hard would it be to just change your rankings? It's not like these are determining lottery position salary or something!

Freedman Moor 6 years, 3 months ago

I believe Svi went from unranked to five-star within weeks.

Steve Zimmerman 6 years, 3 months ago

His ball handling does seem kind of 'carrying' at times. He'll be fine, once he's got Hulkdyfied. I'm hoping to watch more docus about Vick. I've seen Diallo's. And, Bragg's is here: https://youtu.be/X8e0k4XJzXc. Just found that one. Check out at 8:50, see if you can spot KU's letter to Bragg! Anyway.. can't wait to watch these recruits ballin' at KU.

Humpy Helsel 6 years, 3 months ago

Just shows you rankings are for fans. Amazing how players and homies can hype players via social media now. I remember several blogs talking smack about Coach and Frank Mason III when we signed him. Lets see...what was he? Like #120 or something? Coaches look at the player and talk to others they know and trust. They also talk to the player themselves, and their families. We would probably be shocked if we knew all of the things they were able to check out as part of their background helping them get past the rating services and the hype.

Mike Hoeschele 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm very excited about the incoming recruits coach Self is bringing in. However, Vick needs to work on his grammar “I’m a highly-good player” lol! After watching some of his highlights, the kid is very athletic. Hopefully he will reclassify and help the team this year.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 3 months ago

I cut these kids some slack when they are making statements for the media. They are usually not accustomed to speaking to reporters. They get nervous and forget words and all that just like normal people do when they get put in a situation that is new and/or uncomfortable. I'm sure that he probably meant to say "highly-skilled" or something like that, and just got nervous.

Jay Scott 6 years, 3 months ago

Seems handy that KU is an actual university......

Robert Brock 6 years, 3 months ago

If he reclassifies, I hope that Vick can handle being the third guard off the bench.

Benz Junque 6 years, 3 months ago

Why not reclassify and then redshirt? If you think you need one more year of development, might as well do it in the program instead of at a prep school and with the same 4 years of playing time available at the end of that year.

Tom Jones 6 years, 3 months ago

Why redshirt, though? Greene's status is up in the air, and even if he comes back 100%, Vick may still get a few minutes here and there, especially early in the season when Greene's coming back from rehabbing. And he'd play in the WUG for sure.

I guess I don't see the benefit of redshirting and I don't think Vick sees himself needing five years to reach his ultimate goal.

Matt Woolley 6 years, 3 months ago

Well they don't have to decide tomorrow....

Benz Junque 6 years, 3 months ago

I meant it only IF he thinks he needs another season before he's ready to start playing. Why waste the season in prep school when you could spend it at Kansas? Because that is what he would be doing if he doesn't reclassify, wasting a year at prep school.

regardless, sounds like he is going to reclassify and join Ku for next season. Should be an exciting team next year.

Matt Woolley 6 years, 3 months ago

I kind of hope he stays in 2016 now. That could let us grab both JWIII and Paschal and have a very solid team both frontcourt and backcourt next season.

Micky Baker 6 years, 3 months ago

We're going to have two solid guards, either who could play the one or two next season already. I think it would be better to get a season under his belt by watching mostly from the bench. What can be learned from there is invaluable for a guy that is willing to learn it from there and take coachable moments from other players as coachable moments for himself.

Matt Woolley 6 years, 3 months ago

I absolutely think that his best decision for him is to reclassify to this year.

But as a team, I could see it benefiting us more if he waited until next season. Providing we got both Bigs I said earlier. Just because our roster the next season would look pretty great.

Backcourt: Mason Graham Greene Vick (Selden) (Svi)

Frontcourt: Lucas Chukwu Williams III (Bragg) (Diallo)

I think it is pretty obvious he is going to reclassify, but its fun just to think about the different options out there!

Micky Baker 6 years, 3 months ago

Here is what I have to say. If I was Vick, I would have already changed to the class of 2015. There is one huge reason for that. This one year when we know there is Ellis, Selden, Bragg, and Diallo, Vick will have a chance to work in the training room and get some PT this season to get up to the speed of the game at this level without having the pressure of a program of this stature riding on his shoulders next year. Yeah, he may only get 8 to 10 minutes a game this upcoming season. What was SVI's minutes per game last year? Who knows who we have coming in the class of 2016? I think it is in his best interest to reclassify to 2015. I won't hate him or be mad at him if he doesn't, but this is just the way I see it.

Harlan Hobbs 6 years, 3 months ago

Highly recommend the link to Carlton Bragg mentioned above by Mr. Zimmerman. This young man is quite a catch. He has come a long way both athletically and academically, and the smile that is on his face almost constantly is priceless.

Rodney Crain 6 years, 3 months ago

Does Vick get a National Championship ring next year if he does not join us till 2016? He should if he helps us win it. Wait, if he is not here how does he help us cut down the nets next year? Who cares, there is so much excitment it is hard to keep this straight...

Gosh this is so much fun to play make beleive. I forgot what it is like to be 12 years old.

Lets do someone else!

Debbie Bruns 6 years, 3 months ago

Get out of your parents basement and get A job and a life

Benz Junque 6 years, 3 months ago

Don't skip your meds. Just because you don't feel like thy are doing anything doesn't mean they aren't doing anything.

Michael Bennett 6 years, 3 months ago

Vick will still be needed if he waits until 2016, but I thought the coaches recruited him because they needed a scoring guard/wing right now. I imagine 2015 is what they're hoping for. This year's team is looking solid but there is uncertainty at the 2/3 positions.

J.L. Forge 6 years, 3 months ago

I would tend to agree that he won't redshirt and will play 2015, assuming he reclassifies. He has some areas to improve like his ball handling but there is no arguing the kid is a scorer and can create for himself and others. Not so sure I would be set to say he will be the third guard off the bench. He has more talent and overall skills than Greene and appears to be much more fluid and reactive on the defensive end. Not to take anything away from Greene but HCBS loves good defenders and I think Vick will prove to be an upgrade. Either way, it'll be great to have such a strong young talent in the mix with the rest of the team!

Kurt Eskilson 6 years, 3 months ago

HCBS also loves upperclassmen, and Greene has the edge there. I agree that no matter how much he'd actually play next year, Vick will be ahead by joining KU now and spending the next year in the KU system rather than waiting until 2016.

Brian Wilson 6 years, 3 months ago

Although Greene and Svi can play SG, they won't very much. They will play the 3/SF. Mason and Graham will mostly play PG, and Vick and Selden will play the 2. Kind of obvious, and so Vick will not be redshirting.

Matt Woolley 6 years, 3 months ago

Not saying you're wrong at all. I just wouldn't call it obvious. If you do the math at least.

120 min per game. Selden and Mason each played 30 min. a game last season = 60 min. gone Leaving only 60 min. left between Devonte (17 last season) Greene (15 last season) and Svi (11 last season). That leaves only 17 minutes to split between these 3 players. And it would be hard for me to bet that they don't all play 20 min each next year.

If an injury were to happen, we can always pull it. Plus, HCBS doesn't usually give more than 5 guards meaningful minutes once conference play hits anyways. So, it actually makes a lot of sense to redshirt.

Adam McEwen 6 years, 3 months ago

yeah, can't wait for him to play a heartless career of 20 or so games. KU has become the least inconvenient place for people who don't want to play college ball to bide their time before they can go to the nba and realize they weren't quite as good as they thought. so sad to see it come to this.

Rodney Pain 6 years, 3 months ago

Gee golly Adam. Halt your horses. My word!