Friday, May 22, 2015

Schedule announced for KU’s USA National Team

Kansas players, from left, Wayne Selden, Perry Ellis, Frank Mason and Jamari Traylor watch a pair of free throws from Kelly Oubre with head coach Bill Self after a flagrant foul by Baylor during the second half on Wednesday, Jan. 7, 2014 at Ferrell Center in Waco, Texas.

Bill Self’s Kansas basketball team will begin representing the USA at the World University Games on July 4, in Gwangju, Korea, when the Jayhawks and SMU’s Nic Moore take on Turkey to open pool play.

Because of the 14-hour time difference, it will be 10 p.m. on July 3 back in Lawrence when the game begins.

The USA National Team’s Pool D also includes Serbia, Brazil, Chile and Switzerland. The USA will play Brazil on July 5 (6:30 a.m. in Kansas) and Chile on July 7 (12:30 a.m.). Next, USA faces Serbia (July 7, 10 p.m.). Then pool play concludes with a matchup with Switzerland (July 8, 8 p.m.).

The Chile game will be played at Maun Indoor Gymnasium while the other four will be contested at Dongkang Gymnasium.

Bracket play for the World University Games begins July 10 and lasts through July 13. There are four pools of six teams each and, following pool competition, the teams will be seeded for bracket play with the top two teams from each pool in the mix for winning medals.

Teams that finish third and fourth in their pool will participate in a consolation bracket, while the remaining teams that finish fifth and sixth in their pool will play in a third bracket. Each team is guaranteed to play at least eight games throughout the games.

In preparation for the World University Games, KU’s USA National Team will face Team Canada in two exhibition games, June 23 and 26, at 7 p.m. at Sprint Center, in Kansas City, Missouri. Tickets are available with a two-game ticket package for $50. Fans can purchase tickets online at Sprint Center. For additional information, call the Kansas Athletics ticket office at 800-34-HAWKS.

2015 World University Games  - Men’s Basketball Pool D Schedule

Saturday, July 4

12 p.m. – USA vs. Turkey at Dongkang Gymnasium (July 3, 10 p.m. Central)

5:30 p.m. – Brazil vs. Chile at Yeonggwang Sportium Gymnasium

8 p.m. – Serbia vs. Switzerland at Gwangju University Gymnasium

Sunday, July 5

6 p.m. – Turkey vs. Switzerland at Gwangju University Gymnasium

8:30 p.m. – Brazil vs. USA at Dongkang Gymnasium (July 5, 6:30 a.m. Central)

8:30 p.m. – Chile vs. Serbia at Muan Indoor Gymnasium

Tuesday, July 7

12 p.m. – Switzerland vs. Brazil at Muan Indoor Gymnasium

2:30 p.m. – Chile vs. USA at Muan Indoor Gymnasium (July 7, 12:30 a.m. Central)

2:30 p.m. – Serbia vs. Turkey at Muan Indoor Gymnasium

Wednesday, July 8

12 p.m. – USA vs. Serbia at Dongkang Gymnasium (July 7, 10 p.m. Central)

2:30 p.m. – Switzerland vs. Chile at Dongkang Gymnasium

5:30 p.m. – Brazil vs. Turkey at Dongkang Gymnasium

Thursday, July 9

10 a.m. – USA vs. Switzerland at Dongkang Gymnasium (July 8, 8 p.m. Central)

6 p.m. – Serbia vs. Brazil at Muan Indoor Gymnasium

6 p.m. – Turkey vs. Chile at Gwangju University Gymnasium

July 10-13 Bracket Play

Medal Bracket Play will be held in Dongkang Gymnasium.

Comments

Joe Joseph 2 years, 4 months ago

Anyone know if the games will be televised? (Sorry if I missed that information.)

Aaron Paisley 2 years, 4 months ago

Fox College Sports has broadcast the games in the past. I would also guess the WUG wwebsite would have a live stream of the events.

Rich Hetherington 2 years, 4 months ago

I read previously that all of USA's games will be televised on ESPNU. UPDATE Espn states it will be televising some 115 events, including our basketball games, between ESPNU and ESPN3.

John Fitzgerald 2 years, 4 months ago

I hope he stays at ISU. It sucks to lose to him but it sure is nice to have some healthy competition, and the guy knows how to get his players to compete. And the Big 12 needs as many solid coaches as they can get.

Micky Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

There is a coach down in Wichita that might take that job at Ames because he hates KU. But, Wichita State doesn't want a rematch because... they know what usually happens in those.

Rodney Crain 2 years, 4 months ago

Talk here in Chicago is its Holbetgs to walk away from. The Bulls have to carefully work out the contract Tibs has. Tibs is a solid coach, but it is very unlikely he stays. it is very tense I just don't see a way to fix it. Somebody would have to go in mamgement. It will take a few weeks, maybe a month to get clear of him it appears. The Bulls have a decent roster and some rising talent. They love Fred too, hard too see him get a better chance to coach in the NBA.

Len Shaffer 2 years, 4 months ago

"Maryland will play at North Carolina in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge ..."

How weird a statement is that? I know it mentions earlier in the article that Maryland has just joined the Big 10, but it's still so strange to comprehend.

How nice would it be to have KU, UNC and Maryland in the Final Four, all coached by KU people? Maybe SMU or Wake Forest could also get in there?

John Fitzgerald 2 years, 4 months ago

If you thumb through my comments earlier last year before KU bball started I predicted we wouldn't win the title in 2015 but would in 2016. Hopefully I'm right. I have complete faith we can win it all this year.

Rodney Crain 2 years, 4 months ago

National Title? Vegas loves us? I saw that too a few days ago too.

Anyone who buys that I got a bridge I would like to sell you. I have one for each of you no need to worry.

Aaron Paisley 2 years, 4 months ago

You're not smarter than Vegas or people who earn a living covering college basketball.

Micky Baker 2 years, 4 months ago

I think that KU is certainly a contender for the Final Four. Two months ago I wouldn't have said that. I'm still uncertain about someone who can protect the rim and allow our perimeter defenders to be aggressive and force them to make plays against a rim protector. Maybe Diallo and Bragg can combine to be quite a force down there but we really need Lucas to work on his footwork and be one of those guys. He has the size to be effective but his footwork is lacking. If we get the transfer from Providence, then we'll have that guy in at least one season beyond this one.

Gerry Butler 2 years, 4 months ago

I think I read sometime back on the world games that all the games would be covered by ESPN on various sites at one time or another, wouldn't bet my life on it but pretty sure, and thought it was ESPN 2 or ESPNU

Brian Skelly 2 years, 4 months ago

Can anyone at the JW/KUsports.com find out when/if these games are being televised? Or even streaming on the internet?

Any information on that would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Rich Hetherington 2 years, 4 months ago

They will be televised on ESPNU and ESPN3, per ESPN website.

Rich Hetherington 2 years, 4 months ago

Just got my tickets to the two exhibition games vs Canada at the Sprint Center. I'm so pumped! I've been a die-hard fan for many years, but have only seen KU play once, back in '04 (not counting Legends of the Phog that I attended). While they are exhibition games, I'm still greatly looking forward to going! I wonder if Svi and Diallo will play in those (my guess is no).

Anyways, I hope I get to witness something special. I don't think it will be like the OSU game in '04 when we stormed back after being down quite a bit to beat the higher ranked OSU, while Simien had 20 pts and 20 reb, but it will still be awesome!