Thursday, May 14, 2015

Ex-VCU commit Mack to announce Tuesday

Former VCU commit Tevin Mack, a 6-foot-6 small forward from Columbia, South Carolina, is nearing a decision on his college basketball future.

Mack told zagsblog.com he plans to announce his choice on Tuesday.

“Not saying who my finalists are,” Mack told zagsblog.com. “I think I’ll have a press conference.”

Mack reportedly visited Texas, home of former VCU coach Shaka Smart, this past weekend. Rated a four-star prospect in the Class of 2015 by Rivals.com, Mack previously has said he also is considering Kansas, Georgia, Clemson, UCLA, West Virginia and North Carolina.

He also visited Georgia recently.

Williams considers KU: Former Missouri basketball forward Johnathan Williams III has Kansas University on his list of possible transfer destinations, CBSsports.com reported Thursday. Williams, a 6-9, 225-pound sophomore from Memphis, also is considering Georgetown, SMU and Gonzaga. He averaged 11.9 points and 7.1 boards his soph season at Missouri.

Comments

Joseph Bullock 5 years ago

Mack might surprise people. I'm not sure he really wants to go to Texas. He may want a better chance for a National Championship. But he is a long shot. To be honest, I think I might rather have Kobie Eubanks. I don't care what anybody says, and I don't care about his parents lawsuit`his grades are fine. He can guard, and needs time to develop, so he may be a 4 year player.

Aaron Paisley 5 years ago

Mack to Texas, he committed to Shaka Smart and after Smart took the UT job, Mack decommitted within a day or two and there's not really anything else to strongly suggest he's seriously leaned anywhere but following Smart to Austin. He's got immediate playing time available at Texas with Holmes going to the NBA.

Williams would be a nice addition now that Missouri has lifted the Big 12 restrictions on their transfers. He's not a great offensive player, but he's got a lot of toughness (played last season with a torn meniscus) and can be a good to great defender and rebounder. I think he would compliment Carlton Bragg pretty well, but I don't think he would start over Lucas though.

Rodney Crain 5 years ago

I agree on Mack Aaron. Williams not so much.

Dirk Medema 5 years ago

but a couple inches shorter than Charlotte?

Severeno Woods 5 years ago

No thank you Williams. This is Kansas! We do not take or accept Misery leftovers. Man, I still hate Missouri.

Glen Miller 5 years ago

If he can contribute to our team, I don't care where he came from. I hate Mizzou as much as anyone, but I like winning more!

Dale Rogers 5 years ago

And I would see it as a dig at Misery if he discovered Kansas is superior to Mizery.

Dirk Medema 5 years ago

We've got an OL coming from the darkside. Heck, not everyone can be born enlightened. Lots of good Jayhawks have had to be redeemed.

Tom Jones 5 years ago

Really want Allen or Vick (or even Eubanks) a lot more than Mack.

Gerry Butler 5 years ago

personally, I have this feeling that we very well could end up with Kobie . Mack I think is a given to Texas, I thought when he was quoted yesterday sayin he wasn't going to say who his finalists were, thought he would HAVE A PRESS CONFERENCE for it., just another kid wanting attention, thinking they have to call a press conference to announce always trying to 1 up the next kid. I just think either Vick or Eubanks would be just fine. and as far as William? hell ya, good strong rebounder Misery leftover? he was starting pretty petty not to take a solid player because you say you HATE Missouri, he IS NOT the Missouri fan base, what he is , is SOLID. and like Glen says if he can contribute, then we can use he especially rebounding purposes, time to get past the blinders about people because they played for Mizzou. that would be like saying you wouldn't have wanted Anthony Peeler if he wanted o transfer to KU from Mizzou,, again you wanna hate its the fan base not the players

RJ King 5 years ago

Agree with everything, except the press conference take.

Often kids that age throw out words without fully understanding their literal meaning. And sometimes they say things without really thinking about all the implications. Also depends a lot on the caliber of school / education they have received and the vocabularies of those who surround them. My own high schoolers (in a top-rated HS) sometimes say the most illogical, uninformed, and inarticulate things.

Mack may have simply meant he was going to make some kind of public statement to let anyone who cares know his decision. Or maybe he really is a egocentric jerk. I'm just saying a teenage vocabulary makes it hard to tell, so I'm not gonna judge.

Dirk Medema 5 years ago

At 11.9 points and 7.1 boards as a soph, he is hardly a leftover. Sounds more like the heart and soul of that team, which makes accepting him all the better.

Mick Allen 5 years ago

Gerry I agree about Williams III. Saw him play for Misery 5 or 6 times this year. Needs to put on weight and get stronger and his offensive game is certainly not polished. He is a very energetic rebounder, despite his slender physique. He also is a very capable shot blocker and rim protector. He is the one player on that dismal Misery team that I would have any interest in. Signing with KU would remove that Misery taint.

Dirk Medema 5 years ago

Mack would have signed with Smart when it was a local school he would be attending, and before the greatest program and coach in the country showed interest.

Gerry Butler 5 years ago

Agree R J I may have taken it wrong, it could be that's what he was trying to stress, that he would do this so if anyone cared, but even having said that he could of taken the approach, that some other players take noting flashy, just announce over twitter, but like I say don't think it matters still fully believe he is Texas bound, great point though R J., and Mick agree again, even unpolished he stilled managed like 11.9 not to shabby, don't need him to be a monster on the offensive end, just solid which he is, and a rim protector to go along with Diallo for rim protecting and rebounding would be very nice. ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Humpy Helsel 5 years ago

Right? Go to Texas and be stuck wearing the ugliest uniform colors of all time. I don't like orange anyway. But burnt orange? Why do they even give it a color name? Just call it what it is...cowhide. Down here in Oklahoma they call it Puke Orange. Their band looks like they got their jackets out of mothballs and decided these faded orange jackets look good. "Let's wear these and parade around in them in front of 90K people." OK. I admit it. I'm petty and maybe the other amenities, like 6th Street, can outweigh the color thing. But it is a football school. Kids don't get that. Texas is like OU. Basketball is an entertainment distraction between football, recruiting football players, and spring practice. Have a winning basketball team, and they show up for the show. Have a down year and they are nowhere to be found. Oh, wait a minute...that sounds like our football team and fans!