Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Eubanks schedules his visit to Kansas

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Former Baylor basketball signee Kobie Eubanks, a 6-foot-5, 215-pound graduate shooting guard who played this past season at Elev8 Sports Academy in Delray Beach, Florida, will make an official recruiting visit to Kansas University, Saturday through Monday.

Eubanks, who is ranked No. 101 in the recruiting Class of 2015 by Rivals.com, has also scheduled a visit to Alabama from May 19-21. He said on Twitter on Monday that he also will visit West Virginia.

Eubanks signed with Baylor over finalists Pitt, Missouri, Florida and Wichita State his senior year at Our Savior New American in Centereach, New York, where he was a teammate of KU signee Cheick Diallo. Prior to that, he played three seasons at American Heritage School in Plantation, Florida.

Eubanks, who did not qualify academically after averaging 18.5 points as a senior at Our Savior, decommitted from the Bears this past November and made official visits to Oregon and Texas and an unofficial one to Maryland. At one point he also considered Georgia, UCLA, Alabama and Missouri.

After signing with Baylor in April of 2014, Bears coach Scott Drew said: “Kobie is blessed with a scoring mentality and he’s one of the better scorers and three-point shooters in this class. He comes from a private Christian school, where he’s well-liked both on and off the court, and he’ll be a great fit for our program and a great representative of Baylor University.”

According to the Miami Herald, Eubanks and his dad, Clayton, filed a $75,000 lawsuit in Oct. of 2014 against American Heritage High, accusing the school of manipulating Eubanks’ grades.

A story on that issue is available at http://ljw.bz/1RxIY7g

“Physical and strong, Eubanks is a wing who is all about putting up numbers on the offensive end,” Rivals.com’s Eric Bossi writes. “He is very confident in his ability and scores in a variety of ways. He can get to the rim, has a nice mid-range game and when he is hot with his deep jumper he’s one of those guys capable of going off for big numbers.”

Rolltidehoops wrote: “Kobie is considered to be a sharpshooter with a good ability to guard, and an excellent athlete. A development of his all around game is necessary. Bottom line, with skill development and his ability to guard, he could be a high level player.”

Eubanks’ brother, Nick, a 6-foot-6, 208-pound junior at American Heritage, is one of the top football players in the Class of 2016 and has been offered by Alabama.

The two have discussed the possibility of attending the same school.

Vick visiting KU Wednesday: Former SMU commit LeGerald Vick, a 6-5 shooting guard from Douglass High in Memphis, will visit KU Wednesday-Friday, Rivals.com reports. He visited Kansas State last weekend and is headed to Kentucky this weekend. He’s ranked No. 137 in the Class of 2016, but will likely reclassify to 2015.

Vick also has heard from Louisville, Virginia and others. He originally committed to SMU over Alabama, Memphis, Ole Miss, Providence, Tennessee and others.

Sasha’s team winning: Former KU center Sasha Kaun of CSKA Moscow will play in the Euroleague Final Four this weekend in Madrid. CSKA will meet Olympiacos Pireaus on Friday in one semifinal, while Real Madrid will meet Fenerbahce Ulker Istanbul in the other. CSKA Moscow has reached the Final Four in 12 of the past 13 seasons.

Kaun, 6-11, 250, who turned 30 last Friday, averaged 9.9 points and 4.4 boards during the regular season. He hit 68.8 percent of his shots.

Scruggs to visit: Paul Scruggs, a 6-3, 200-pound sophomore combo guard from Indianapolis Southport High, who is ranked No. 31 in the Class of 2017 by Rivals.com, tells Peegs.com he will visit KU this summer. Scruggs, who has a 6-9 wingspan, has received offers from KU, Indiana, Michigan State, Illinois and others.

Oubre picks agent: Former KU guard Kelly Oubre Jr. has signed with Bill Duffy of BDA Sports Management, according to sportagentblog.com. Duffy represents more than 30 NBA players including Andrew Wiggins.

Comments

Brett McCabe 4 years ago

So, how's this work? Vick is here on Wednesday with Eubanks here on the weekend. Both have offers. If Vick pulls the trigger while here, then Eubanks is out?

Benz Junque 4 years ago

We have two scholarships available. Maybe the staff only wants one of them. Maybe they would take them both. Who knows.

Suzi Marshall 4 years ago

The link to the Miami Herald, Eubanks does not seem to work. I'd like to learn more about his dad, "Clayton, who filed a $75,000 lawsuit in Oct. of 2014 against American Heritage High, accusing the school of manipulating Eubanks’ grades." My first impression about this is it could be a kid/family who does not accept responsibility for his own actions / conduct and are part of the culture of victimization that feels the needs to blame others for their failures.

Aaron Paisley 4 years ago

So if I'm reading that right, Eubanks is suing the school for trying to help him qualify academically by boosting his GPA above minimum standard. Sounds like he's just mad they got caught.

Benz Junque 4 years ago

Perhaps the family was operating under the assumption that his GPA would qualify and the school later sorted through their terrible records and found out they were wrong. 2.5, nope, let's try 2.37, oops no not that either. Let's go with 2.29, yeah that's the ticket. Maybe Eubanks would have aimed for higher scores on certain coursework had he known he needed it.

Chris Shaw 4 years ago

A lot of Pot Meets Kettle around here.

So...the question that we all want answered is...did the young man actually have knowledge that this all was going on? You know what, don't answer that. Only a handful of people know that answer.

What we do know is that the young man has gone to an extra year of school and apparently gotten the necessary coursework done to put himself in a position for that scholarship. The road whether right or wrong is left up to Eubanks family and the school in which he attended for the path that was taken.

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

Well...if Kobie and his brother want to be together and his brother is a top football prospect, hmmm.....KU or Alabama?

I'm with Suzi. Alarm bells go off whenever I see something about a parent accusing someone else about their child's failure.

Do we need another shooting guard?? I thought the point was the concern since Graham is our only true point??

Sasha is turning 30...sigh...time marches on!!

Michael Bennett 4 years ago

Yeah Tony what do you have against Frank? I'm just curious because you didn't list him in your starting 5 in the other article.

Rodney Crain 4 years ago

We need another impact shooting or combo guard, as per what Self is saying to the recruits it appears.

Ballhandler, scorer, in particular would be a plus as well as a BIG. Frank can do all of these too. Devote is more of a natural point to me.

Bob Thompson 4 years ago

We have had guards that weren't the smartest, and that didn't go so well. If it were me, I would like to have a smart guard, even a shooting guard, than some of the athletic guards that couldn't run an offense.

Benz Junque 4 years ago

Yeah, Kansas didn't do very well with that knucklehead Tyshawn Taylor running the show in 2012.

RJ King 4 years ago

Yes. I somehow found Tyshawn's knuckle-headed moves to range from exasperating to amusing. On and off the court. To me, there was something very lovable about that kid.

Also - he was actually very well-spoken and articulate when interviewed. MANY people are quite intelligent, but are impulsive or just have poor judgement.

Suzi Marshall 4 years ago

Ron - thanks for the link. It sounds like his gpa situation is a mess but I'm skeptical anything malicious occurred.

Eliott Reeder 4 years ago

And this is the difference between you and I Suzi, politically speaking. You give the benefit of the doubt to those in power, assuming no malicious intent without any evidence either way to back up your assumption, and I tend to gve it to those with less power in any given situation, without any real evidence to back up my point of view either. I'm not even saying either of our perspectives are right or wrong, because neither of us know! I just find the subtle nuance interesting, and perhaps a core difference between your more conservative leaning views and a liberal lefty like myself.

Brian Wilson 4 years ago

Really, so you are giving no breaks to Hillary and O? LOL.

Mark Lindrud 4 years ago

I am reluctant to go with Kobie if I had to choose between the two. If something of this nature happened I cannot believe the kid is innocent of all charges so to speak. I would be more inclined to say both parties are at fault, and this kid could have more issues when it comes to schooling. I maybe wrong, but this has a bit of a red flag to me. Not to mention, his GPA is not exactly stellar, which makes me think he does enough to be eligible to play.

Harlan Hobbs 4 years ago

I believe that KU has two scholarships left, so they could handle both if the parties are interested. I'd be a little cautious as well about Eubanks, but since he played with Diallo at one point, maybe Chieck would have some insight.

I doubt KU would recruit the guy if Diallo gave any kind of a negative review. We'll have to just wait and see.

Tom Jones 4 years ago

My guard preference: 1. Allen 2. Vick 3. Eubanks 4. Mack

Kristen Downing 4 years ago

I would steer away from parent's with a red flag.

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

I have absolutely no problem with Frank. He is a great player. I just think his impact on the game would be enhanced as the first guy off the bench but certainly getting major PT makes sense.

If Bill follows form his rotation will narrow down to 8 or so. Which eight will be the question. Frank, Devonte, Perry, Brannen, Cheick, Wayne, Jamari and Svi? Carlton, Hunter, Landon and two to be named later may have to fight for minutes although injury, fatigue and foul trouble sometimes alleviates the PT Log Jam!!

Tony Bandle 4 years ago

PS Add Knucklehead plays and poor defense to the list!!

Rodney Crain 4 years ago

Tony, I just don't understand how you put no less than the 2nd best starter all of last season on the bench when you have not added any ballhandling or shooting gaurds to the team. Even if we do add one or two new players, they are going to have to fill some pretty big shoes for our team and I do not see anyone left being able to do that.

How in the world can Svi, Wayne, Brannen or some new guy be ahead of him?

That just does not make any sense.

Tom Jones 4 years ago

Gotta agree with RC on this one. Frank will, and should, start and play a ton.