Thursday, May 7, 2015

Kansas men’s basketball reveals nonconference schedule

Trips to the Maui Invitational and the Champions Classic in Chicago against Michigan State highlight Kansas University's 2015-16 men's basketball nonconference schedule, which KU announced Thursday.

“It’s obviously another solid schedule,” KU coach Bill Self said. “The last two years we played the toughest schedule in the country. This year we feel like, once again, this will be a schedule that will be one of the nation’s best."

KU's 2015-16 nonconference schedule:

Oct. 9 (Friday) – Late Night in the Phog – Lawrence, Kan.

Nov. 4 (Wednesday) – Pittsburg State (exhibition) – Lawrence, Kan.

Nov. 10 (Tuesday) – Emporia State (exhibition) – Lawrence, Kan.

Nov. 13 (Friday) – Northern Colorado (Maui Invitational) – Lawrence, Kan.

Nov. 17 (Tuesday) – vs. Michigan State (Champions Classic) – Chicago, Ill.

Nov. 23 (Monday) – vs. TBD (Maui Jim Maui Invitational) – Lahaina, Hawaii

Nov. 24 (Tuesday) – vs. TBD (Maui Jim Maui Invitational) – Lahaina, Hawaii

Nov. 25 (Wednesday) – vs. TBD (Maui Jim Maui Invitational) – Lahaina, Hawaii

Dec. 1 (Tuesday) – Loyola (Md.) – Lawrence, Kan.

Dec. 5 (Saturday) – Harvard – Lawrence, Kan.

Dec. 9 (Wednesday) – Holy Cross – Lawrence, Kan.

Dec. 12 (Saturday) – Oregon State (Kansas City Shootout, Sprint Center) – Kansas City, Mo.

Dec. 19 (Saturday) – Montana – Lawrence, Kan.

Dec. 22 (Tuesday) – at San Diego State – San Diego, Calif.

Dec. 29 (Tuesday) – UC Irvine – Lawrence, Kan.

Jan. 30 (Saturday) – Big 12/SEC Challenge – Lawrence, Kan.

Comments

Jay Scott 5 years, 5 months ago

A little more manageable than years past.........

Rodney Crain 5 years, 5 months ago

Agreed. This looks strong, but not the gauntlet the last two years were.

When will the SEC game opponent be determined? Looks like a good year to catch KY if they are team.

Aaron Paisley 5 years, 5 months ago

Maui is not nearly as strong this year as in years past. Indiana is generally considered a top 15 team, UCLA is a fringe top 25 team, and Vandy is a top 40 team. KU is playing 2 of them at most. It's definitely not anywhere near as strong as last time KU played in Maui.

Aaron Paisley 5 years, 5 months ago

Doubtful it happens. My guess on the 1st round match ups would be KU/Chaminade and Vandy/St. John's on one side of the bracket and Indiana/Wake and UCLA/UNLV on the other half of the bracket.

Bryce Landon 5 years, 5 months ago

If KU handles its business at SDSU, it will really help erase the sting of that ugly loss to the Aztecs on our own floor. That was one of the worst home games KU has ever played.

Tom Jones 5 years, 5 months ago

They were the better team at that point (and then again after Embiid went down) and our youth really showed against a veteran, defensively minded, well coached team.

No shame in that loss.

Bryce Landon 5 years, 5 months ago

I see Wichita State is still absent from the schedule. So I guess this means last year's Round of 32 stinker wasn't enough to break Self of his stubbornness and get the Shox back on the schedule. I'd rather see KU-WSU over N. Colorado, Montana or UC-Irvine.

Rodney Crain 5 years, 5 months ago

Once every 22 years seems about right. I have them penciled in for 2037.

I support not playing the Johnny-come-lately WSU.

Leon Trotter 5 years, 5 months ago

Most people would..but you are leaving out some details. I would imagine that if WSU would be willing to give KU a one-off game in Allen Fieldhouse it would happen. KU gets nothing (NOTHING) from going and playing a road game in Wichita. The teams you listed are not asking KU to come play them at home. I don't think Bill Self being stubborn is the problem here.

Bryce Landon 5 years, 5 months ago

Hey dolt, it's not about helping WSU. It's about having a good out-of-conference rivalry, something we seriously lack. It's about keeping the money from a KU-WSU game in-state. It's about doing what would be good for basketball fans in the entire state. But most of all, it's about putting "Little Brother" back in his place and shedding the stench of that game in Omaha.

Jim Johnson 5 years, 5 months ago

Why do KU want to play them? Maybe so they can storm the court like K-State? They have no class, kind of like OSU.

Michael Lorraine 5 years, 5 months ago

Recruiting benefit aside, I'd like to see more mid-majors on the schedule. They have accounted for nearly half of our tournament losses.

Michael Lorraine 5 years, 5 months ago

A 75 day span of nothing but conference opponents does not bode well for KU if you believe you are only as good as your competition.

Michael Lorraine 5 years, 5 months ago

I would say it worked in spite of our conference competition.

Michael Lorraine 5 years, 5 months ago

If you want to continue to believe that the Big 12 is a superior conference based on regular season performance, be my guest. Their tournament performance suggests otherwise. Only the Pac 12 has performed worse.

Tom Jones 5 years, 5 months ago

Superior to the ACC or the Big 10? No.

On the same level or better than any other conference? Yes.

If you want to use the upsets of the 2015 tournament as your measuring stick, go for it. But college basketball analysts everywhere regard the Big 12 as the third or fourth best conference in the country every season for a reason, and it's not a flatlander conspiracy.

Michael Lorraine 5 years, 5 months ago

I won’t use 2015 as a measuring stick, I’ll use the last 10 seasons. During that time the Big 12 has produced two final four appearances. That’s worse than the ACC, Big 10, Big East, SEC and Pac 12 and equal to the Horizon, Colonial and Conference USA. Regular season accomplishments are fine and I love a conference title as much as the next guy but objectively I see the Big 12 as the fifth best conference.

John Fitzgerald 5 years, 5 months ago

I feel like Bryce Landon is the anus of the kusports message board. He's responsible for dishing the garbage out that nobody wants to hear.

Erich Hartmann 5 years, 5 months ago

Man, tough crowd...and we aren't even talking about KState... :)

Regarding WSU, in Wichita I recently talked to a diehard WSU fan (middle-aged lady), who literally called Bill Self "arrogant"...(I'm guessing for not wanting to play WSU??). I never thought of it from an opposing fan's standpoint, but after seeing that goofball KSU student on TV who hit Jamari Traylor in the back then yelled right at Self "I hope you die!!", and listening to this Wichita lady...I realize people's perception of Self isn't just what we see of him in the press conferences from our "face of the program"/"KU" perspective. I guess its appro-po to hate someone who wins "too much", right?

Michael Lorraine 5 years, 5 months ago

Talk about calling the kettle black. My suggestion for mizoo and wsu is get a life. We are not here for the purpose of serving your needs. You play who you want and we’ll play who we want.

Aaron Paisley 5 years, 5 months ago

Caleb Swanigan decommitted from Michigan St. today. Purdue is rumored to be the front runners now, but California (there was rumors of a Rabb, Brown, Swanigan package deal earlier in recruiting) and Kentucky are also candidates. Calipari did offer NC State commit Shaun Kirk a scholarship just a few hours after Kirk committed to NCSU and also called to keep recruiting Terrance Jones after he committed to Washington a few years ago so Cal pulling a similar stunt with Swanigan considering their lack of depth in the front court wouldn't be too surprising.