Tuesday, May 5, 2015

KU football picks up another offensive lineman

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

Former Missouri commitment, Harneet Gill, an offensive tackle from Pierce College in Los Angeles, has committed to the Jayhawks, JayhawkSlant.com reported Tuesday night.

Gill, who is expected to be eligible to play immediately, paid his own way to visit KU during the recent spring game.

The 6-foot-6, 255-pound lineman played offensive line, defensive line and tight end last fall at Pierce, but is expected to play tackle at Kansas. He said left Mizzou during his freshman year because it was not the right fit.

Like many recent KU commitments, Gill told JayhawkSlant's Jon Kirby that he was most impressed by the coaching staff and energy he felt in David Beaty's program.

"The thing that probably stood out are the people in there," Gill told Kirby. "The coaching staff is new and coach Beaty is from Texas A&M;, and (O-line) coach (Zach) Yenser is from Cal and those are good programs. Every recruit looks for security in a staff and I liked the excitement that I see in the program.

“The biggest thing is I want to have a chance to get my foot in the door. All I wanted was a second shot. Now I'm going to put my head down and keep working.”

Gill becomes the sixth offensive lineman to join the Jayhawks since Beaty took over.

Comments

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 7 months ago

6-6, 255 and at least 3rd year in college, that's pretty small. Glad he's seen the light, but he's got some work ahead of him to bulk up or find another position.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 7 months ago

He was only part time in '13 while recovering from an injury, so only 1 full time year - not at least 3.

Also, his weight was down b/c he had been playing TE. He'll be fine weight wise, but still has plenty of work to do regardless.

Michael Sillman 4 years, 7 months ago

I thought that we had maxed out the scholarships for the coming year. Is he going to be a walk on?

Matt Tait 4 years, 7 months ago

Don't know the details yet, but it's possible he could do the shirt (blue?) that allows him to count ahead to a future class… That's how they landed Nigel King. I'm looking into it.

Damian Glaze 4 years, 7 months ago

Didn't we have a couple people recently leave the program? Could it be that a departure or two has opened up a scholarship?

Brad Farha 4 years, 7 months ago

Looking forward to the Fall. I know many of us are expecting a work in progress, but I like the vision of the new coaching staff.

Kevin Randell 4 years, 7 months ago

Brad, I think many of us are excited to see what product is put on the field this Fall. I have no expectations of 6 wins, but all I ask is for a team that fights for the entire game.

Andrew Holmes 4 years, 7 months ago

I agree Kevin, that I would like to see a competitive team this year. We have always been pretty competitive at home (TCU and OSU games this year) but it is the road games where the teams looks like a cupcake. A step in the right direction for me is if Beatty can get the team looking better on the road and playing consistently hard and staying in games at home.

Jim Pendleton 4 years, 7 months ago

LOL, this is how this story read on the Star's website -

Former Missouri offensive lineman Harneet Gill transferring to Kansas

I did not remember this guy previously, but that headline probably got some people's attention, even though he never played a down there. Hopefully he makes the most of this opportunity!

Mick Allen 4 years, 7 months ago

Aaron the KC Star says the kid is 6'6" and weighs 285.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 7 months ago

Jordan SS was about that size a year ago and is now 300+/-. 255 might have been his HS weight and 285 is a year later.

Very encouraging that so many are coming on their own with more top recruits than ever at least considering us.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 7 months ago

Good article on JCFootball Scout. Mizzoo wanted to accelerate his rehab from a HS injury. His Dr disagreed so he left. Was playing TE at Pierce - hence lower weight appropriate , then switched to DE for last 3 games. 9 tackles and loves D so we'll see where he lands.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 7 months ago

Also part time student in '13 so 4 yrs to play 3 this fall with std waiver from NCAA.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 7 months ago

It would be nice for someone from Pierce to actually see the field.

Len Shaffer 4 years, 7 months ago

The fact that his name is Gill is more than made up for by the fact that he left Misuse for us (with a stop at Pierce in between). Welcome to KU, Harneet!

Dale Kroening 4 years, 7 months ago

Anybody know what his rating was coming out of HS and who all offered him ? Thanks...

Rob Zerwekh 4 years, 7 months ago

3 stars, 5.6 rating from Rivals, 70th-ranked OT out of high school, went from an unranked prospect to 11th in the state of Missouri. "Lean frame" is often used in the old articles about him.