Friday, May 1, 2015

Self ‘proud’ of Rookie of the Year Wiggins

Minnesota Timberwolves' Andrew Wiggins holds his trophy at a news conference after he was named NBA basketball Rookie of the Year, Thursday, April 30, 2015, in Minneapolis. (AP Photo/Jim Mone)

Minnesota Timberwolves guard Andrew Wiggins on Thursday became the second player out of Kansas University to be named NBA Rookie of the Year.

Wilt Chamberlain earned the accolade with the Philadelphia Warriors in 1959-60.

“We’re all so proud of Andrew. He obviously had a fabulous rookie season and showed he has the potential to be a great pro,” KU coach Bill Self said Thursday. “He represented Kansas basketball in a big way and is a great ambassador for us. Him winning the rookie of the year will certainly allow him to continue to be a great representative for our program.”

Wiggins — he and Danny Manning (1988) are the only two KU players in history to be tapped No. 1 overall in the draft — averaged 16.9 points and 4.6 rebounds in 82 games for Minnesota after averaging 17.1 ppg and setting KU’s all-time freshman scoring mark (597 points) in his one season at KU.

Wiggins and adidas on Thursday introduced the Crazylight Boost 2015 — Andrew Wiggins Rookie of the Year Edition. Adidas states that the basketball shoe was inspired by Wiggins’ path from Canada to the NBA. The shoe features maple leaves to pay homage to his home country and combines the colors of his high school, the Kansas Jayhawks and the Minnesota Timberwolves. It will be available at adidas.com.

Brown cuts KU: Jaylen Brown, a 6-foot-7 senior forward from Wheeler High in Marietta, Georgia, eliminated KU from his list of schools Thursday, according to 247sports.com and Rivals.com, leaving Michigan, Cal, North Carolina and Kentucky as his finalists. Brown has said he would prefer attending an adidas school. Michigan is the only remaining adidas school on his list.

Mack on radar: KU continues to recruit Tevin Mack, a 6-6, 200-pound small forward from Dreher High in Columbia, South Carolina, who is ranked No. 61 nationally by Rivals.com and No. 48 by ESPN. Mack recently decommitted from VCU when Shaka Smart took the Texas job. He has a list of KU, Texas and Georgia.

On Monday, Mack’s mom, Paula, told Columbia’s The State newspaper she spoke with Self, Smart and Georgia coach Mark Fox as well as a coach from UCLA on Monday. Wistv.com reports that Mack has also heard from Michigan State, Gonzaga and Alabama.

“They were all telling me how much they can use him and how much they need him, ” Mack told thestate.com. “They all want him. All three said how bad they needed him, especially Kansas. He (Self) said he needed a big scoring guard.”

Initially, Mack had planned to announce his choice today, his birthday. That does not now figure to happen.

Florida duo to reconsider?: Florida could have two signees back on the market following coach Billy Donovan’s departure to the OKC Thunder. Noah Dickerson, a 6-8, 245-pound forward from Montverde (Florida) Academy, is ranked No. 81 by Rivals.com. KeVaughn Allen, a 6-2 combo guard from North Little Rock (Arkansas) High, is ranked No. 67.

Tourney on tap: The Jayhawk Invitational will run today through Sunday at Drive5 Sports Center (Overland Park), New Century Fieldhouse (New Century), as well as Olathe South, Olathe East and Olathe North high schools. Eudora sophomore standout Mitchell Ballock plays for the 17 and Under KC Run GMC team. Go to jayhawkinvitational.com for a schedule.

Comments

David Hall 3 years, 7 months ago

Mack's mom said to that same newspaper that it is down to two team ku and Texas

Reggie Flenory 3 years, 7 months ago

Where are all,the "Andrew Wiggins isn't ready for the NBA after 1 year of college ball" people at LMAO!!!! if anything going to the NBA actually refined his game. I don't ever remember him posting players up at Kansas and his step back jumper is just nasty he showcase it a few times here but now it's just ridiculous I love it keep doing your thing Andrew!!!!!

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 7 months ago

There were definitely people saying Wiggins was making a mistake leaving. These were also the same handful of people saying Oubre wasn't ready a couple of weeks ago as well. People that don't realize players improve more by playing against those that are better than they are.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 7 months ago

I comments ranged along the lines that ALL the OADs could use more time learning the game before moving into the league. Charles Barkley was amongst those making that argument.

Rodney Crain 3 years, 7 months ago

Congrats to Andrew Wiggins he has added to his game and plays with more aggressiveness. Well Deserved!!!

Jay Hawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Big congrats to Andrew. It's also good for KU that he's had this kind of success in the NBA. The addition of KU colors on the shoes was a nice touch paying tribute to his short stop in Lawrence. I'm really happy for him to win this award.

Before I ask my question, I HAVE to insist that I think Andrew had a fantastic season for us last year. Even though there were a few disappointing games during the year and the conclusion . . . well . . . sucked, I personally thought he had a really good year and I have nothing but positive thoughts about his one year at KU.

BUT, does anyone wonder why we weren't able to really get him unleashed last year? Wasn't there more than 17 per game upside for this once in a generation athlete who scores 17 per game in the NBA as a 19 year old?

How come it seemed that the lane was always clogged when he took to the dribble? Poor spacing? Poor teammates who other teams chose to ignore so they could sag the lane? Was the often referred to "hi-low" offense just a poor scheme to utilize him?

How did he not live at the rim in transition? We boarded pretty well. We had our fair share of blocked shots. No, there weren't as many transition opportunities due to steals but it seems like he should of had 8-10 every game just on fast breaks of various sorts.

Perhaps 17 PPG was his ceiling as an 18 year old freshman - 40 something at WVU as an exception. But, I will forever wonder if there was more that just never materialized.

Greg Lux 3 years, 7 months ago

You make a valid point. 1) In the NBA you have 5 players who can score where in college you seldom have that luxury allowing defenders to slack of their man to double or triple a strong player. 2) Spacing is always better in the league as most all players can score farther out. 3) League players don't sacrifice their bodies for monetary reasons. 5) The speed of the game is so much faster at the top level. There are a lot more reasons but you get the idea. Everyone wants to win but most of all they just want to continue to get that paycheck until they reach the playoffs. Then and only then does winning become equal or even ahead of that almighty dollar.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

Jayhawk, great post. Let me help you out a little at least in my opinion in why Wiggins seemed "Bottled Up" at times.

1) First and foremost the NBA and college game are totally different. You mentioned "Spacing" in your post and that is one of the main factors. In the NBA they have what's called the defensive 3 second rule. Basically, you can't park yourself in the paint on defense like you can in the college game. Just like on offense, as a defensive player you have to move in out of the lane essentially not having both feet in the lane or its a defensive 3 second violation.

Have you ever noticed why so many players especially tall centers get dunked on by guards and then get showcased on espn? Well, essentially that player is already 2 steps behind from rotating over as help defender and by the time they get over...well, some guys have already launched themselves into another stratosphere and hence you have the famous getting dunked on highlight.

2) Guys like Wiggins, Harrison Barnes, Michael Kidd Gilchrist, Oubre etc etc get bottled up because of that spacing. Those guys who have decent shots, can handle the rock, don't have much room to showcase their all around game because everywhere they look someone is on them. That's what makes the college game great but it also cheats us a little with super talented kids.

I will say this...Carmelo Anthony did it right when he was in college as that 6'8" wing like Wiggins. Carmelo worked that half post game to death and he thrived off that in college. He would post up from 10 feet all the way out to the 3 point line and just work that small window of isolation that the college game gives you. I wish Wiggins would have done more of that at KU. Marcus Morris did it a lot from the 4 spot but KU's wings within Self's system for some reason doesn't exploit the defense in that manner. I've always scratched my head on that one.

Cont'd

Keith Gellar 3 years, 7 months ago

i think self did all he could from his end. But at the end of the day, Wiggins was just protecting his draft stock/status. It was clear he didn't really care for college ball or winning a championship.

He knew had to get one year of college down- he chose the low risk option- Kansas.

Even after the Stanford game, during the post game interview- Wiggins had no emotion. It was as if he was just saying things like "i lost the game, we should have done better, etc." becuase he had to or someone told him to do so. Just imagine what could have been if he played with the emotion of a Tarik black or Trob...

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 7 months ago

Everybody's take on Wiggin's lone season at Kansas is tainted by that last game. I love Bill Self but in that game he took it on the chin being badly out-coached. Stanford had a great game plan, which was greatly assisted by the play of our 4s who could not hit a thing from anywhere. As long as I live, I will never be able to forget the 4-16 at the rim in that game.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm pretty confident this had nothing to do with any of that.

Brianna Zaleski 3 years, 7 months ago

Where, in any of the time we have known about or followed Andrew Wiggins, has he displayed on drop of selfish behavior? The answer is nowhere.

So emotion is the only indicator of effort? Low-risk option? What the hell does that even mean?

All you need to do is re-read Chris Shaw's post as to why his success was stunted a bit in college. I'm not going to sully his excellent post by repeating most of it, but I will highlight one point: In the NBA you have the top 1% of basketball players in the world on an opposing team who can hurt you if you leave them to go guard someone else, and on Wiggins' Kansas team, he had Nadiir Tharpe, Justin Wesley and Jamari Traylor. Who the hell is going to care about leaving one of those guys when you have AW on your side of the court? And when Embiid went down, he had that much more attn on him. Come on, you can't be that dense to as to totally ignore the obvious.

How can you even type such a thing unless you are just an attention seeking troll? Mission accomplished I guess.

This site has been hijacked by trolls like you and Rodney and Ben. Its not even an enjoyable experience, at all, anymore. I hope the LJW is happy with its attempt to make this more site more "civilized" by having us post with fb. All they did was run off most good posters with intelligent insight into basketball and our beloved Jayhawks. There are still a handful of quality posters here, don't get me wrong, but mostly its just a den of trolls. You all should be estatic, though, you have made national news! As you are occasionally a topic on ESPN, CBSports and KUBuckets.

One last point: How the hell does a kid set the Freshman scoring record, at a storied place such as Kansas, by not caring or trying? How the hell is that possible?

Tom Jones 3 years, 7 months ago

I don't think it was because he was scared of injury or that he didn't care.

Without Embiid, there was no one else on the court for Stanford, a much better defensive than offensive team, to worry much about. They dared someone else on our team to beat them and nobody could. KU got tons of opportunities around the goal but they didn't cash in.

It happens.

John Strayer 3 years, 7 months ago

It happens...much to often to KU on the NCAA national stage. Bill Self needs to solve the "second game of the weekend" riddle. His team seems to me most unprepared on that second game of the tourney weekend.

John Pritchett 3 years, 7 months ago

It happens often to the best of them. See Coach K.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

cont'd

Have you ever noticed Jordan in his later years, Kobe's entire career, KD and Paul Pirece just above the FT line, Carmelo (best ever at the half post IMO)...they all take advantage of that half post in the NBA. It's essential as 3 man in the league to do so. And now, you're seeing Wiggins game expand as he learns all those moves from the half post with all that extra spacing the league offers

3) Another reason I belive Wiggins seemed herky jerky at Kansas is because of Wayne Selden. Selden did the same this year to Oubre. Selden is a good player but what he lacks in ball handling and prototypical SG traits by being creative with the ball, slashing, and being a lethal shooter...Selden lacks those skills at the moment and i think Selden being next to Wiggins and Oubre helped bottle them up. I think the same would have happened if Jaylen Brown came to KU and had Selden and Brown playing next to each other. I don't think that's a good combination. I like Mason and Graham in that role much better with Selden being the 3/wing. That's why I want KU to go after KeVaughn Allan/Allen (Sp?).

People wanted to blame Tharpe and to some degree Mason at times this year with Oubre but IMO the inability for Wayne Selden to get in the paint and be creative as a lead guard prevented those other guys from reaching their maximum potential. I mean, Wayne Selden has virtually been a 6'5" 230 lb spot up shooter in his first 70 games and his shooting percentages are pretty lack luster. That imo creates less opportunities to be creative with the basketball like a quinn cook. That's why you saw graham getting the minutes at the 2 when it mattered most last season.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 7 months ago

That's a good point about Selden but the problems of this year's team extended far beyond him. The entire team never gelled. We looked better when Ellis had that 6 game stretch before his injury but that was largely individual play, not team ball. We lacked on the court leadership and toughness. The only thing I want to remember about last year's team was how they could rebound to a great year in '15-'16.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

I'm just saying that's one of the components. I know everyone wants to point to that enforcer in the middle that KU lacked which I believe is the biggest reason for KU's deficiencies the last two seasons (Embiid's injury and him going down had the same effect).

With that said, I think people have been blaming Tharpe and Mason way too much the last two seasons when IMO it's been the lackluster play from Selden at that 2 guard/lead guard/2nd wing spot or whatever you want to call it that has been truly lacking. I just don't think Selden feels comfortable in that role. I think he would be more comfortable at a true wing spot where you have guys like Mason and Graham, and or guys like Chalmers, Collins, and Russ Rob (What they did for Rush) creating for you and getting you in spots to take advantage of situations because of your size and frame.

Eliott Reeder 3 years, 7 months ago

I think you're on to something Chris. I hate to say it, because I had SUCH HIGH HOPES for Selden coming in as a freshman, and renewed high hopes for him as a soph when everyone said he 'had his bounce back' and had merely been ailing from a bum knee. Unfortunately, it has begun to look more and more like he is just a mercurial player that holds his own without making his teammates much better. I would love to be proven wrong this coming year, if he could just find some offensive consistency he can be great...

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

I really hope Selden slims down, gets a little more cut, works on his footwork and spends his entire summer off working on ball handling and working on the Half Post moves (I call them the Carmelo and Paul Pierce Moves-others call them Old Man Moves).

I don't think people realize how effective and how much the game can change in your favor by learning those 12-16 moves from literally the "Half Post". And the great thing is you can be patient and do those moves anywhere from the block, 8 feet out, all the way out to the 3 point line.

Carmelo, Paul Pierce, and Marcus Morris (His time at Kansas) aren't the greatest athletes, but their footwork and these half post moves are key and most essential for them to be not only great college players but have long careers in the NBA.

IMO Selden is smaller than those guys, but the same theory applies because he isn't the greatest athlete and he's not always going to be exploding past same size or smaller guards.

I just wish Self and Staff would utilize the "Half Post" more for guys like Rush, Xavier Henry, BMac, Travis Releford, Wiggins, and Oubre.

I think that would feed well into Selden's game especially if Mason and Graham are creating for him. I don't think Selden has the footwork or ball handling to be creating off the dribble and exploding past guys (He hasn't done it yet) and finish at the rim.

Marcus Morris and Darrell Arthur were great at the half post moves, but they did it from the 4 spot. TRob was really good as well, but he was always in a hurry, but still very effective. I would just like to see Kansas' "Wings" in the future do more of this. I think this would feed right into Selden's game. Wayne Selden should literally go work with Paul Pierce this summer and learn his footwork.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 7 months ago

You might be onto something but the critic on Tharpe and even Mason is justified. There were the PGs. I can't figure out what the deal is with Selden. Hopefully he will pull things together this next year. The sick thing is - Selden is a natural leader. He's got charisma, style, skills and likeability. Ellis and Mason have a hard time filling the on-court leadership role because of their lack of speech. Almost every athletic leader I have ever seen had a sharp and supporting voice. Selden is that man.

Michael Bennett 3 years, 7 months ago

I've wondered why Self doesn't move Selden to the 3 more and have a better spot-up shooter (like Greene, Graham, or Svi with improvement) play beside him at the 2. I think it would help spread the floor better. We might see it more this next season, without a star OAD small forward.

Benz Junque 3 years, 7 months ago

What's the difference between having Selden at the 3 and Greene at the 2 versus Selden at the 2 and Greene at the 3? Nothing. And please don't ever call Svi a better shooter than anyone. He shot 28.8% from three last year. Selden had a bad year and shot 36.5%.

Tom Jones 3 years, 7 months ago

Agreed on the 2 vs. 3 thing.

I think Svi will be just fine. He's got a nice stroke.

I think he was just a tad overwhelmed last year. Not surprising, given how young he is.

I know you're just basing the "don't ever call Svi a better shooter than anyone" on what he did last year, but I'm pretty confident you'll be changing your tune on that one by this time next year.

Michael Bennett 3 years, 7 months ago

Yeah notice how I said "with improvement", I know it's speculative but I'm confident a 17 year old kid will show some improvement in year 2. If that's the case, he will be a better shooter than some people on the team. Brannen Greene shot 33% his freshman year, not exactly a sniper rate. There's an adjustment period.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

Have to agree with Benz and Tom here. There is no difference between 2/3 and 3/2 in this situation with Selden along side SvI, Greene, Wiggins or Oubre. Wiggins and Oubre are scorers. Greene and Svi are shooters. I think Selden alongside svi and greene is actually worse because like Selden (the last 2 years for whatever reason) are spot up shooters.

Selden needs to be as i alluded to above along side playmaking and creative guards who can not only score but create opportunities in the paint for their teammates. That's what made chalmers, Collins, and Russ Rob so good and Rush benefitted directly from that. Selden isn't anybod those type of guards and needs to be surrounded by that at the Wing instead of him trying to be that playmaking guard which is the role he's been in the last 2 years.

It's a combination and personnnel thing, not necessarily a 2/3 3/2 type thing of that makes sense.

Jay Hawk 3 years, 7 months ago

Nice, thoughtful post full of good insight, Chris. Enjoyed reading it. Thanks.

Benz Junque 3 years, 7 months ago

Roster full of college freshmen "led" by knucklehead Naadir Tharpe != roster full of NBA players led by Ricky Rubio. It's not complicated. Add in that no one plays defense in the NBA as consistently aggressive as they do in college and the unlimited amounts of team practices in the NBA with no classwork looking over head and it's pretty easily explained.

Keith Gellar 3 years, 7 months ago

they do need to have an asterisk next to his name because embiid and parker were hurt. Next year should give us a better indication.

Eliott Reeder 3 years, 7 months ago

I disagree with this notion. You know who didn't get hurt and started almost every game (if not all) for their struggling team? Andrew Wiggins. And that is just as much a factor as anything. It represents VALUE. You don't get to be rookie of the year if you aren't playing, and Wiggins shouldn't be knocked based on hypotheticals...

Keith Gellar 3 years, 7 months ago

Good point, but if we are going to say that- lets be consistent. When we bring up Stanford and WSU, what is the first thing anyone brings up- injuries to KU. Had KU not had those injuries, we would have won. Well, the same can be said that maybe more credit needs to be given to Stanford or WSU because they did a better job keeping their players in better shape. I only bring this up becuase, IMO, Embiid was a better player than Wiggins and if healthy, he would have won the rookie of the year award...not sure how parker would have done, but given that the bucks made the playoffs, they would have factored in. Sure Wiggins was good,but i can't call him the best rookie until i can see what the other rookies have done. that's my opinion. if you don't like it, don't read it.

Benz Junque 3 years, 7 months ago

How about if we go with a less aggressive approach and just say it will be interesting to see how Parker and Embiid do once they get healthy. No asterisk needed. The season is what it is and Wiggins had a great one.

Tom Jones 3 years, 7 months ago

Fortunately for Andrew, there are people much more qualified than you to determine who deserves the award.

Brianna Zaleski 3 years, 7 months ago

And you need to have an asterisk next to your name to indicate your troll status. So everyone who dare read on of your posts can know the drivel they are about to consume.

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

can we please turn down the volume on the hate speech?

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

Call it what you will. You get the point...

Rodney Crain 3 years, 7 months ago

+1 Joe.

Even on a simple benign topic like this, with rather calm posts,emotions spill out for no reason.

It is interesting that these folks somehow rationalize their behavior as acceptable when it is just the opposite. Listing people who are not even on the the thread like they deserve to be singled out every time for some offense, when all they did was say something they disagreed with days or weeks ago. It is a mystery as to why they carry so much anger with them on just about every post. I have to wonder how they act when they lose their tempers for something more important than a comment on a web site.

Thanks for trying to continually raise the level of decorum here.

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

@Rodney: do your best not to reply. Let it go.

Rodney Crain 3 years, 7 months ago

As long as they continue to act like this Joe, I will continue to point it out. Sorry the time for letting this behavior go is long gone.

There is nothing in my post above that does not happen to me all the time on here. These self proclaimed site monitors are nothing but self righteous people who believe their ideals are the only ones that should be repeated here. They belittle posters who do not adhere to their line of thinking, sometimes never taking issue with the content but only the person. Even when the post is benign. They think it is ok to act without respect.

Why am I thrown in by name in Brianna's post? On this thread at the time all I had said was congrats to AW.

If they replied with respect instead, why would either of us bring it up? They are the ones who continue to make it personal over and over. In the last week on this site a couple of them said they do it to "stir it up" on here. "For fun" to get a rise out of people. They think it is funny. I don't.

Joe Ross 3 years, 7 months ago

My Grandpa used to raise chickens. Youve heard of a pecking order before. Well when chickens see blood on the back of a neck by instinct they cant keep themselves from pecking at it. Im convinced that discussions here go the same way. Once you leave the topic and start defending yourself, in essence you "show blood". Many people here have opinions contrary to one another, but my personal experience has been that when I place an emphasis on clearing my "good name", then others--right or wrong--jump in to make counterarguments. In this case, the counterargument would deal with me personally. Thats never a good outcome when you are trying to make a point about a particular subject. Suzi does a commendable job of staying above the fray. Ive seen her attacked mercilessly, and she just floats above it all by leaving the criticism unanswered. Opinion is starting to make out that she's an Oak. I still happen to think she's wrong some...lol. But she has my respect. And yours too, I presume. At some point, the unwarranted attacks speak enough about another person without your having to answer to it. And your lack of response will be seen as a sign of strength rather than weakness...eventually. If people want to attack your ideas, thats fair game. But lets face it: if they want to attack you personally, nothing you say in response is going to make them stop. In fact, the more you attempt to defend yourself, Ive seen that it is the nature of some that it invites more pecking at you. The best way to keep them quiet is to allow them the freedom to be seen as a troublemaker. They will do enough talking for the both of you.

Just my two cents.

Armen Kurdian 3 years, 7 months ago

Oh yeah??!!!! Well Andrew Wiggins sucks & HCBS sucks, and KU basketball SUCKS & puppies suck.....

I was one of the folks who thought that Wiggins was not going to pan out well because he jumped to the NBA too early, looks like I was wrong, and hey, I'm glad I'm wrong about that. However, other folks have made good points that he just saw KU as a way station on his way to the NBA. I'll never know if that's true, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if it were the case which would be disappointing.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 7 months ago

If Wiggins was just looking for a place to spend a year, he wouldn't have waited as long as he did to commit because he would've started day 1 anywhere he wanted to.

Jonathan Allison 3 years, 7 months ago

They should place an asterisk next to Michael Carter-Williams name since Nerlens Noel sat out last year. They should also place as asterisk next to Emeka Okafor in 2005 since Lebron James didn't have to play a year in college. Also they should put an asterisk in 1985 next to Michael Jordan's name because Leon Wood only played in 36 games that year.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations Andrew Wiggins. We are all proud of him and his time spent on Mt. Oread.

Brown is probably a great player but so are our returning perimeter guys. He made a wise choice cutting Kansas because PT for him was questionable.

Now that we have Diallo signed and Bragg to stretch the floor, I'm over the moon with the prospects of the '15-'16 team, especially with the MW regions in Chicago and the FF in Houston! It's our time.

Robert Brock 3 years, 7 months ago

KU lost eight of its last 14 games largely due to its poor guard play. Wichita State pulverized our perimeter. Selene went completely scoreless.

Jaylen Brown would have started and played 30-plus minutes per game. He will attend Michigan because he has a lot of family in that state. He certainly wasn't afraid of Wayne Selden or Svi or Greene.

Tom Jones 3 years, 7 months ago

They did not lose eight of their last 14 games and the ones they lost had a lot more to do with having two key cogs either not playing or playing hurt and having a McD AA suspended.

No way Brown would have played 30-plus minutes a game even if Greene ended up redshirting. Anyone who thinks that is sleeping on Svi. Not saying he couldn't have clawed out some starts or even low 20 minutes a game, but 30-plus minutes a game wasn't happening.

Shane Johnston 3 years, 7 months ago

There were injuries to the team's best scorer, the hottest 3-point shooter and the best low post scorer. The guard who logged the most minutes over that stretch was second team all-conference. But yes, let's talk about the poor guard play.

The only way WSU pulverized the perimeter is if you think Frank and Devonte played in the post all game.

Benz Junque 3 years, 7 months ago

They lost 6 of their last 14. All 14 of those games were played 2 scholarship players short thanks to the Tharpe and Frankamp transfers. All 14 of those games were played with Brannen Greene suffering from a torn labrum in his hip that severely limited his play. Nine of those games were played three scholarship players with Alexander also gone. Seven of those games were played with Ellis either missing entirely or limited by a knee injury.

So yeah...

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 7 months ago

Robert isn't wrong in the overall decline of the guards down the stretch. There was something that happened on February 12 that had a big impact that nobody is talking about.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

Refresh my memory what happened on feb 12th? I'm not good at this game. Cliff?

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 7 months ago

Jerrance Howard's suspension. He was not allowed to do any team activities for 2 weeks. For 2 weeks, KU was down a coach in practice, on the bench during games, and in the film room scouting opponents. KU was 20-4 before the suspension, 7-5 during and after the suspension. I think the Howard situation had the biggest impact on the season, more than Perry or Brannen's injuries, or the Cliff situation which I don't think had much of an impact at all.

Rodney Crain 3 years, 7 months ago

I think that is too much weight given to Hiwards suspension. Plus when he comes back why still the funk?

To me it was a combination of a few variables starting with and mostly a lack of chemistry, followed by Cliff, Howard, Greene injury, Ellis injury, Selden injury, decline of guard play and depending on Lucas an Mickelson for post production, they did OK but not as good as Perry/Cliff. It was a team downward drift.

Cody Riedy 3 years, 7 months ago

The shoes are already sold out on the adidas website.

Freddie Garza 3 years, 7 months ago

KeVaughn Allen, 6-2 Combo Guard, will not consider Kansas because he is too tall. J/K

Tom Hanson 3 years, 7 months ago

Andrew Wiggins reminds me of the great JoJo White at KU. It dates me a few years but when watching them both you could just sense the confidence they played with. Little emotion and absolutely incredible defensive skills .... both were the best in the country at their positions.

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 7 months ago

UGH...no JoJo. JoJo had great handles and incredible J. He could get to the rim in a nano-second from mid-court. If the 3 point line was around for White, he may still hold the all time record!

Wiggins has always reminded me so much of MJ, especially in his early years...average J and handles ... great defensive players...great competitive drive, although Jordan takes the cake over everyone when it comes to competitive drive.

Joe Joseph 3 years, 7 months ago

Mack would be a big get for Self. Playing time might be sparse for him his freshman year, but with the likely departure of 1, 2, or even all three of KU's wings after this coming season (Svi, Greene, Selden), playing time should open up greatly.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 7 months ago

Why would Selden or Greene leave after next season?

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

Agreed. I'm not convinced Diallo is a OAD either. I think Diallo and BRAGG play along side each other their sophomore year with Lucas playing an important role as a redshirt senior in 2017.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 7 months ago

I think it's 75/25 Diallo goes versus staying because of his offense. This is why I've saying Diallo isn't a guaranteed OAD, his offense is raw enough that there's a chance he comes back to put some polish on it before he heads off the NBA.

Joe Joseph 3 years, 7 months ago

Why would Svi leave? All three of those guys have NBA potential, but haven't yet showed they're first-round talents. But they could, potentially, with strong seasons. Or even solid seasons. I maintain that the potential is there for all three to be gone.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 7 months ago

I didn't bring up Svi's name because he's the most likely of the 3 to go to the NBA in 2016. Brannen Greene is a one trick pony and that's not going to put him in the NBA. I also don't see Selden being more than a Travis Releford type player at this point which isn't a bad thing, just not a 1st round NBA type player. He's just not the athlete he was coming out of HS anymore because of the knee injury he had as a freshman.

Len Shaffer 3 years, 7 months ago

That's too bad that Jaylen Brown dropped KU from his choices, but I'm okay with it as long as he ends up at ABK -- anybody but Kentucky.

Julie Owen 3 years, 7 months ago

I just heard that MU 's contract with Adidas is set to expire and the school is talking to under Armour.

Chris Shaw 3 years, 7 months ago

That's annoying because I would love for Kansas to be the Flagship program at Under Armour next to Maryland.

Caden Ford 3 years, 7 months ago

Jaylen Brown just committed to Cal!!! WOW! IMO I would've sworn he was going to Michigan. Interesting..

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 7 months ago

That was a surprise especially since Cal seemed to have come out of nowhere. I also thought MI was a lock, although I don't really case since it was not Kansas or in the Big 12. Brown wouldd have been able to be "the man" at both MI and Cal where as at Kansas and KY he would have been in a fight for PT.

In the "old" days, signings of this type would raise suspicions of under the table payoffs. However, Cal would never do such a thing...would they?