Monday, March 2, 2015

ISU win wraps up KU’s 11th straight Big 12 crown

Kansas guard Wayne Selden Jr. (1) and the rest of the bench celebrate a three by teammate Brannen Greene to reclaim the lead late in the second half on Monday, Jan. 19, 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

A game in Ames, Iowa, not involving Kansas University has assured the program from Lawrence yet another conference crown.

Iowa State protected its home court on Big Monday against Oklahoma, winning 77-70, meaning KU has wrapped up at least a share of its 11th Big 12 regular-season championship in a row.

The Cyclones (21-8 overall, 11-6 Big 12) knocked Oklahoma (20-9, 11-6) into a three-way tie for second place — which includes West Virginia (22-7, 10-6) entering Tuesday.

Bill Self: Big 12 has been even better than expected

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self speaks with the media about the tighter than anticipated Big 12 title race, the importance of league championships, Cliff Alexander's situation and Tuesday's rematch with West Virginia.

KU (23-6, 12-4) stands alone at the top of the standings, with a two-game lead and just two games to go.

The No. 9-ranked Jayhawks could secure the championship outright by beating West Virginia on Tuesday night at Allen Fieldhouse.

Even if KU loses to WVU and in its regular-season finale on Saturday at OU, the Jayhawks would have six league losses — the same number as the three teams sitting in second.

The conference title for Kansas is its 11th in a row, 15th Big 12 and NCAA-leading 58th overall.

The 11 straight titles, beginning in 2004-05 and all under head coach Bill Self, ranks tied for second all-time on NCAA Division I list with Gonzaga’s 11-straight Big West regular-season championships from 2001-11 and only trails UCLA’s 13-consecutive titles as members of the then-Pac-10 Conference from 1967-79.

Comments

John Fitzgerald 4 years, 9 months ago

11 straight ... Is that even real? Man it feels good to be a Jayhawk!

Chuck Wagstaff 4 years, 9 months ago

Wrap it up outright tomorrow - cut down some Phoggy nets.

Brandon Dey 4 years, 9 months ago

Best news I have had All Day! Man OU had them down by 19 when I was watching. Huge comeback win for ISU. Thank you anyone want to go in with me and send them a cake?

Win tomorrow and we home free and clear!!!

Congrats Team!!!

Great accomplishment for one all with the basketball program and school!

Walter Bridges 4 years, 9 months ago

Agree.. Did you watch ISU turn the game around against OU? Exciting game. Texas/Baylor was also a fun game to watch.

RJ King 4 years, 9 months ago

It was amazing. I tuned into Baylor when they were down a lot against Iowa State last week, and watched their comeback. When I checked the OU game last night, I didn't think a repeat was possible. Glad I watched. It was stunning (AND celebratory).

Now let's win at least one of these last two!

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 9 months ago

That OU-ISU game was a helluva game. Thank you Cyclones for that come back. The Baylor-Texas game also was pretty crazy. Hopefully tomorrow nights game doesn't have any surprises and KU locks up another perfect season in the Phog and the outright title.

Also, the Big 12 title shirts look pretty good this year.

Bert White 4 years, 9 months ago

That's pretty funny, last year they did a minimal KU logo on the front of the ring and this year from the image on the shirt it looks like they have 0 KU references on the front... They said "ehhh "Big 12 Champions, XI", people will know who runs it" heheh. Wonder if we win it next season if all it'd say on the front is "XII", and don't even bother with the conference name.

Michael Leiker 4 years, 9 months ago

Where to wear an 11th ring...hum...drawing a blank, glad I don't have to worry about that.

Brandon Dey 4 years, 9 months ago

Right Big Toe is the approved location for the eleventh!

Walter Bridges 4 years, 9 months ago

I think I like where Eliott was going.. Or maybe it's my own mind headed in that direction.

Roger Tobias 4 years, 9 months ago

In the words of Jake Taylor (Tom Berenger, Major League): "Well, then, I guess there's only one thing left to do. . . . Win the whole f'n thing!"

Eliott Reeder 4 years, 9 months ago

There's no way God let's Christian Garrett lose on senior night, I mean, didn't you read Bedore's article from earlier today??? We got this locked up...

Scott Quiring 4 years, 9 months ago

The Iowa St/Oklahoma game was NUTS! Cannot believe they came back like that! So happy to be a JAYHAWK!

John Pritchett 4 years, 9 months ago

Maybe that shut up some of the whining Iowa State fans who'd turned on their team after the meltdown at KSU. Iowa State is a great team this year and it was sad to see so much negativity from their fans after that loss. I hope they go far in the tournament.

Scott Quiring 4 years, 9 months ago

I agree! I love Hoiberg and I love the KU/ISU games...they're always intense and it's such a fin rivalry to have. I almost like it better than the KU/Mizzou games. Sometimes the ISU fan base can get a little fired up - but so can the KU fan base ;) i'm guilty of it lol. But I love how well ISU represents the Big 12, they're a clean program (now) and their kids play hard every game.

Michael Leiker 4 years, 9 months ago

Guessing there's something big about 14 in a row that is lost on me??

Garry Wright 4 years, 9 months ago

Would put us one past the current record by UCLA with 13.

Bryce Landon 4 years, 9 months ago

It feels good to have that 11th straight conference title, but if we don't handle our business and wind up sharing it with as many as three other teams, it's going to feel pretty hollow.

Side note: During most of the period when UCLA was winning 13 straight conference titles, the league was the Pac-8. It didn't become the Pac-10 until 1978 when UA and ASU joined the conference.

Scott MacWilliams 4 years, 9 months ago

Back2back2back2back2back2back2back2back2back2back 2 B A C K!!!!

Yowzers!! EEEEE-leven!! Rhymes with Heaven!

Way to go Jayhawks, especially as this was the year that everybody was pretty sure the string of pearls would end!

BTW, has everybody seen the way cool Wilt Chamberlain stamps at the USPS?? GO get some, they're really tall!!

Rock Chalk, JayELEVENhawks

Erich Hartmann 4 years, 9 months ago

Let's have KU alum Elijah Johnson tweet a nice "THANKS!" to the IowaState Cyclones...

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 9 months ago

I like it, but maybe it should come from his twin brother Jedediah Johnson (complete with mustache, comeover, and argyle).

I wouldn't want it to look like EJ is being insincere.

John Pritchett 4 years, 9 months ago

There have been some amazing stories during this streak. Players like Kevin Durant, Michael Beasley, Blake Griffin and a ton of other talent, and KU has prevailed year after year. Some years we've lost most or all of our starters, we've played mostly freshman and sophomores these last two years, but this year is the most surprising to me. The toughest the conference has maybe ever been, and we have a team made up of mostly good, occasionally great players, and they still managed to pull it off. It's a truly amazing accomplishment. Don't let anyone (I'm looking at you KUSPORTS.COM) tell you this is a soft conference. No other school has dominated a conference that's this loaded for this long. Gonzaga doesn't even come close. UCLA didn't face anything like the gauntlet of teams in the Big 12. And if Kentucky thinks it's the power house program that it claims to be, how is it they haven't dominated the weak SEC year after year? It's not about the occasional spike in talent, it's about consistency, finding a way to win with great players and with good players, with one-and-dones and four year projects. The players deserve a lot of credit, but ultimately it's about Coach Self and all of our coaching staff. They do an incredible job.

Congrats Jayhawks!

Mike Riches 4 years, 9 months ago

Woohoo! Way to keep the streak alive!! Let's clinch it outright tomorrow night!

Joseph Bullock 4 years, 9 months ago

Excellent post, John Pritchett. I'm glad you did not just say, coach Self, and that you also said all of our coaching staff. Most people don't understand that. They think it is all coach self. I guess the don't have any idea about recruiting, and teaching in practices! Now, I'm not taking anything away from coach Self, because there is no other coach I would want running our program, and he is outstanding with the X's & O's, and unbelievable coming out of time outs. The coaching staff is also one of the best in the Country, at making adjustments at halftime!!! Rock Chalk, Eleven Straight Hawks!!

John Pritchett 4 years, 9 months ago

You do have to credit Coach Self for building the coaching staff. It's one of the many things he does so well. We always talk about maintaining the level of excellence consistently with so much player turnover, but that's also the case with coaching turnover. Members of this coaching staff are highly sought after for head coaching jobs.

Eliott Reeder 4 years, 9 months ago

And he has had quite a bit of coaching turnover since he's been here. Kurtis is the only coach who has stayed the whole time. Norm left and came back...

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 9 months ago

They should REALLY make a state farm commercial out of this.

"Thanks for the ASSIST, Iowa State!"

Kansas clinches share of 11th straight big 12 title in unlikeliest fashion: from the couch by virtue of a come-from-behind victory by the Iowa State Cyclones over the Oklahoma Sooners in front of Hilton Magic.

Glen Miller 4 years, 9 months ago

Is it weird of me that I wanted to go into the OU game with a 1 game lead or tied up so that we had to win against OU to get that crown outright? I would have liked to have seen how we responded. Playing on the enemy's home floor, on their Senior night for all the marbles..... Now THAT would be exciting!! Not that I wanted to lose tonight, but I wanted OU to win myself. I want our title to be earned the hard way, to forge us and make us go through the fires of battle together. Not that I'm complaining, but to all the naysayers.... if we'd have went into OU with a 1 game lead and a chance to establish our dominance and succeeded, that would have been a huge boost heading into the tourney. None the less.... Congrats on another title and let's get our revenge on West Virginia tonight!

Roger Ortega 4 years, 9 months ago

Not really weird Glenn, but if we win tonight AND we go to OU regardless of our current situation, we can STILL establish our dominance with a win in Norman. Just now some of the pressure is off, though I hope not too much. I hope our guys want it outright as much as we do!

RJ King 4 years, 9 months ago

OUTRIGHT on SENIOR NIGHT.

Start the chant . . .

Dale Rogers 4 years, 9 months ago

Does any Division 1 coach, active or inactive, have more consecutive conference championships than Bill Self? John Wooden was UCLA's coach for only 9 of that streak of 13. Just wondering.

Damian Glaze 4 years, 9 months ago

I read that Wooden was only there for nine of them. Two other coaches had two each. Read it last night on ESPN.

Brandon Dey 4 years, 9 months ago

Mark Few at Gonzaga has 11 in a row too. 2000-2011

No is your answer but Mark Few has the same as Bill does now.