Tuesday, June 30, 2015

KU football lands Texas cornerback Ian Peterson

The addition of cornerbacks coach Kenny Perry to the Kansas University football staff continues to pay dividends for the Jayhawks.

Late Sunday night, two-star prospect Ian Peterson, of Cedar Ridge High in Round Rock, Texas, orally committed to KU on the strength of his relationship with Perry and the dozens of good things he had heard about him from some of Perry’s former players.

“He (Perry) has been recruiting me for a while,” Peterson told JayhawkSlant.com’s Jon Kirby. “I’ve known him for two years. (Special teams) Coach (Gary) Hyman also recruits my area. They were both fired up. I love how they take care of their players.”

Peterson, a 5-foot-11, 180-pound cornerback who has yet to visit the KU campus, said his connections to a handful of Jayhawks past and present helped convince him that KU was the place to be even without seeing it.

Known for his speed and physical play, Peterson, who also helped the Cedar Ridge track team to district titles in the 4x100 and 4x200 relays this spring, chose KU over offers from Colorado, Houston, SMU, Toledo, Wisconsin and others.

Making a quick decision was important to him and now that he has, he’s excited for the next step.

“It feels great,” Peterson told Kirby. “I’m ready to get to Kansas and see it for myself. I want to get up there and meet the coaches and see the campus.”

Peterson becomes the sixth current commitment in KU’s 2016 class. He joins offensive linemen Antione Frazier, Hunter Harris and Joe Malanga, wide receiver Braylon Royal and athlete Marquis Smith.

Comments

Joe Ross 6 years, 5 months ago

Chicken and egg problem.

I know a lot of sensible people say that Kansas isnt going to upgrade Lawrence Memorial until the football team begins to do better.

I did say they were sensible, didnt I?

I say build it and they will come. Fans and recruits alike. Lawrence Memorial is an embarrassment NOT because of what it represents, but compared to other stadiums who are nothing short of palacial, the recruits are going to do a comparison in their minds and it will be harder to get them here.

Youre a recruit. Youve just visited Arkansas or Nebraska or Oklahoma State. Then you come to Kansas (translation: Kansas was honored to be on your list and have you arrange a visit) and see Memorial. Your first thought? "Oh, ($)%_ no!"

Unless youre the one or two star kid who is looking for a chance to play right away. As a program you have to build from somewhere, I grant you. But recruiting "that" kind of kid should only be in the plan for a few years. What then? Eventually you are going to need bigger fish.

Bigger fish need a bigger bowl.

Commit the resources. Kansas needs to turn the tide and have its football program start to generate some real revenue.

Josh Galler 6 years, 5 months ago

Yes stadium needs work but there sre other grest football and athletic dept perks

Michael Lorraine 6 years, 5 months ago

Financial viability aside I'm in favor of an upgrade sooner than later. It's got to be hard to sell recruits on how important football is and oh by the way this is our house. KU's reputation is we don't care about football and memorial reinforces that rep. We do however have an on campus location and looking up the hill is an impressive site.

Joe Ross 6 years, 5 months ago

I absolutely think that whatever renovations are made should leave open the view of the Hill. Erecting an edifice that obscures the Hill would be a thumb in the eye to the tradition of Kansas football. A 3-sided, beautiful structure open at one end...

And yes. Recruits wont take us seriously until we do first. Kansas has some debt they need to retire. Immediately after that they should make a campaign that uses some of the money they are getting from the Conference contract with ESPN and dump that money into building a stadium as quickly as possible.

Kyle Sybesma 6 years, 5 months ago

TCF Bank stadium in Minnesota would be a perfect fit with it's open endzone view of the Hill.

Jim Stauffer 6 years, 5 months ago

Not sure you are saying this, but if you are suggesting we cannot succeed until the Stadium is renovated, you are wrong.

Is it a necessity to complete the turnaround of the program? Yes! But this staff can recruit and will get the players to rebuild this program that Patterson and Briles built theirs on.

Then when the wins begin to come the money people will be believers and the Stadium will be renovated. (See Baylor) Then we will move into the upper half of the league, the Stadium will be full on Saturdays. Wait and see. It should take a max of 3 years with this group doing the work.

Bville Hawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Three years? You are delusional. Either that or I want some of what you're smoking.

Joe Ross 6 years, 5 months ago

I think youre argument is made too simply. Can we succeed before renovations? Perhaps. But will it be more or less difficult than it would be if Kansas started to make real commitments to improving its program, recognizing that shedding the old perception of Kansas football is critical to that change of face?

The answer is obvious.

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 5 months ago

That's not what happened at Baylor Jim. What happened there was Drayton McLane sold the Houston Astros (made several hundred million $ in the deal) and took those profits and sunk them into the Baylor football program. Zenger needs to get one of the billionaire alums to commit to investing a significant amount of money ($100 mil at least) into the program prior to on field success.

Greg Ledom 6 years, 5 months ago

I agree three years is a little aggressive. I do think years four and five are where we step up and start garnering some respect. That is if this staff comes through, which I believe they will. If they don't.............not good. I don't agree with JR that we need a state of the art or sweetly refurbished stadium to recruit. It's where they play the games, but not where they spend the majority of their time. That's in the facility just South of Memorial, which is on par with or better than most in the Big12. That said, I do think it's important it gets done, and sooner than later. It's one of the more picturesque stadiums in the Big12 if not the country and certainly deserves to have a representative stadium to go with it. I hope they can get it done. Both on the field and off it.

J.L. Forge 6 years, 5 months ago

As much as I want to believe we don't need a new or renovated stadium for football success, the reality is that we will need this to happen. It would be fantastic to think that with a little on field success we will then see the school and donors decide to kick in but who knows how long that may take. In the meantime, the top tier recruits will compare facilities (housing/strength/practice/game) as they visit schools and regardless of the promise of playing time and such, they will be wowed and in awe of places with the state of the art facilities. As unfortunate as it may be, the fact is it's what our youth look at in this day and age. I would respectfully disagree on the three year time frame of success to turn things around although that would be awesome! It will take a combination of on field success along with visionary donors and school administrators to jump start renovations to make things happen! RCJH!

Michael Maris 6 years, 5 months ago

In regards to recruiting of players, Jayhawks 24/7 page has shown Harneet Gill as a committed recruit for the Jayhawks 2016 class. Jayhawk's Rival website shows him as a 2015 recruit and the Jayhawks are not even listed as one of the schools that's recruiting him.

So, what's the actual status of Harneet Gill?

Thanks.

Jim Pendleton 6 years, 5 months ago

I have recently moved out of the area, and don't go to games like I used to, so don't judge me for not being a regular attendee now. However, I have said for years that KU does not need any more renovations. We need a new stadium!

First, they need to tear down the existing stadium. If people want to continue on that site, great. Perfect world, I think most people would want that. We would have to go play at Arrowhead for a couple years while new one is built, and while a lot of people wouldn't like that, the long term gains of having a new stadium would far outweigh that negative.

Second, the new stadium should be seating wise between 60-70K. This is the argument you get from the naysayers, that we can't fill a 50K seat stadium, why do we need more seats? I don't think we need to have something ridiculous that seats 90-100K, but we must be more competitive in this area. Something new will tell the Alumni base that yes we are serious about football here. And a good point was made earlier that kids today like to play in front of bigger crowds.

The improvements we made in facilities after the Orange Bowl win are top notch. It is time we finish the job and have the place we play on Saturdays in the fall be a place that kids not only want to play in, but fans look forward to as well.

Yes this would be a major deal cost wise. A lot of people would have to be involved, and a naming rights deal could bring in more dollars. But this has to be done, and soon. I hope that Jayhawk Nation gets behind something like this. The program needs it.

Brandon Mahon 6 years, 5 months ago

A brand new stadium would be nice but most likely not going to happen. I think if Beaty and Staff start showing improvements in the first couple years we will start to see some changes/fixes. Weis was absolutely terrible and they laid brand new turf down and took out the track with the help of Rock Chalk Park. I think you of course lower it and bring the bowl in and do something like Zona or Washington where you put stands on the south end by the score board but do not build it up too high so you can see the hill behind. We have great facilities oustide of the stadium and alot of the recruits say that

Aaron Paisley 6 years, 5 months ago

Memorial Stadium cannot be razed because it is a WW1 memorial.

You also don't need a new stadium to make Memorial look really nice. As long as pillars around the outside are structurally sound, just put a brick or limestone facade around the outside to cover the concrete and Memorial will look like a brand new stadium. I would also remove the bleachers and put regular seating in the stadium everywhere except the student section and where the band is.

Doug Cramer 6 years, 5 months ago

I've held back from saying this for a while, but we're getting a lot of 2 star players.

Don't think our new coaching staff has gotten a 4 from high school yet.

Len Shaffer 6 years, 5 months ago

I've noticed that too, Doug, but at least in the case of Peterson, he also received an offer from Wisconsin so perhaps he's rated too low.

Hopefully that's the case with some of the others as well and the coaching staff is good at finding players that are not rated as highly as they deserve.

Suzi Marshall 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm really happy to have signed Peterson. He's a two star out of a top level 6A (Region II, District 13) program in a district that includes traditional powerhouses such as Round Rock and Stony Point. These are the kind of kids that can play. We can sign these kids and coach them up to the point that in 3 years can be top level players. A two star like Peterson would be buried and lost in programs like UT, TAMU, OU, and even Baylor and TCU.

As for a stadium, I say not one single cent should be spent for anything outside of needed safety features until the team shows some signs of a turnaround. I agree with Aaron in that it would be unwise to tear Memorial completely down. The pillars and foundation are about all I'd leave. They are probably sound to allow for a rebuild around them after the are augmented with FRP (www.mapei.com/public/IT/linedocument/...). However, we are venturing into a materials revolution with composite graphite (carbon nano tubes - bucky balls) polymers. We'll start to see more applications in a couple of years.

A couple of things we need in a new stadium would be suites and an executive dining club, similar to the UT, Baylor and UTT Clubs that ClubCorp manages. My budget estimate for an open ended horseshoe which seats 60,000, 24 suites, and an executive dining club would be about $800 MM, assuming construction commences in December 2020. If we commenced the project, i.e. ground breaking, in December 2020, the new Memorial Stadium could commence operations for the Fall 2022 season, 20 months. Major Leslie Groves was the project manager for the Pentagon, which held groundbreaking on 9/11/'41 and completed 1/15/'43...16 months!!! However, I'd look closely at a go high option, about $1.5B, with the press box and suites ringing the top. Additionally, I'd look at other revenue producing options in addition to the dining club, like hotel suites and theaters. I'd make the place a hub for campus life, in the exact same location as the existing stadium.