Originally published June 30, 2015 at 09:12p.m., updated June 30, 2015 at 10:41a.m.

KU basketball freshman forward Carlton Bragg breaks nose in Korea

Kansas forward Carlton Bragg, left, hits the floor for a loose ball with Canada guard Jarred Ogungbemi-Jackson in the first-half of a Team USA exhibition game against Canada Tuesday, June 23, at the Sprint Center in K.C., MO.

— Kansas University freshman Carlton Bragg broke his nose about 30 minutes into Team USA’s second practice at Gwangju High on Wednesday.

“Unfortunately today, Carlton broke his nose,” KU coach Bill Self said after practice. “We’ll see how long he’s going to be out of pocket with that. Hopefully he won’t miss anything.”

Bragg, a 6-foot-9 forward from Cleveland, broke his nose on a trip down the court. He didn’t run back, putting his hands on his knees before falling backwards onto the court. He didn’t appear to lose consciousness. Trainers gave Bragg water and put towels on his head.

He lay on the court for about five minutes before he was able to sit upright. Ten minutes later, he was moved to a chair on the side of the court. He walked to the team bus after practice under his own power with cotton stuffing in his nose.

Self said he doesn’t expect Bragg to miss any time.

“Well that’s not an injury,” Self said. “A turned ankle is actually a worse injury than a broken nose. Although the broken nose hurts bad. But really no concussion symptoms. It’s one that you come back (from).”

“It’s just can you play without being nervous about getting hit,” Self added. “He can do that. In all honesty, it’s probably not bad for him to play through some stuff. But it would be nice if we could find a mask, but I don’t think we’re going to be able to. He can’t hurt it worse. He’ll wait to have surgery until he gets back to straighten it up, but he should be fine.”

Comments

Craig Alexander 3 years, 11 months ago

Hoping all injuries get out of this team's system by October! Sheesh. Put on a facemask Bragg and keep working.

Alan Dickey 3 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, they're dropping like flies, and the season is more-than four months from starting.

Bryce Landon 3 years, 11 months ago

There's a part of me that isn't sure I want to know how Bragg broke his nose...

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 11 months ago

Seems it should be pretty easy to send a face mask overnight or 2 day to Korea for "chump change" in terms of KU athletics money. Could be there days before they play the first game.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 11 months ago

These face masks nowadays are typically custom molded to a players face so ordering one from the States isn't a realistic option. However, any good sports medicine facility should be able to get Bragg fitted for one so he should be able to get one in Korea is he really needs one.

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 11 months ago

Are they formed with heat or hot water or is it by some other method that is specialized?

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 11 months ago

I think they would need Carlton to mold the mask properly..just guessing but I don't think these masks are generic.

Just read Aaron's post.

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 11 months ago

I understand they aren't generic, I'm asking if they are formed similar to a football mouth guard where the shield would be heated, pressed to his face, and then allowed to cool, or if it is formed some other way that means it can only be done by a medical professional. Ultimately it doesn't really matter as KU will do what needs to be done, I'm just curious.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 11 months ago

Hey this is the country of Samsung! You guys are inferring that they can't produce a mask in Korea! C'mon folks!

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 11 months ago

Well, he didn't have one on in the practice videos from today so the answer appears to be "No, they can't".

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 11 months ago

One can't make one in a day here in the U.S. Myopic!

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 11 months ago

Everybody apparently knows all about these masks, how they are made, how long they take, etc. but nobody wants to give any details to those not in the field being discussed. A Google search doesn't seem to provide much info so I guess I'll just leave it to the experts and not try to learn any details for fear that I may say something else that's not correct and be mocked for my lack of knowledge of this particular process.

Alex Resnik 3 years, 11 months ago

Shannon- These masks are molded by placing a wet type of gauze over the persons face an letting it harden. Once it hardens, they have the mold of the persons face and they can begin to make the mask. Remember back when Cole Aldrich broke his nose? That's when I did the research. That was 6 or 7 years ago though, so times have probably changed

Bobby Nightengale 3 years, 11 months ago

The videos from practice were before Bragg broke his nose. The Jayhawks haven't been back on the court since it happened yet.

Rodney Crain 3 years, 11 months ago

Mercy, SMH, amazing depth and understanding.

Joe Ross 3 years, 11 months ago

Graham hurt. Bragg hurt. Greene recovering. Diallo and Svi ineligible to play for the national team. These are five of the biggest names on our team. Wow.

Decimation.

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 11 months ago

Karma for what exactly? You hate everything about this program so I'm not sure which thing you're referring to.

Humpy Helsel 3 years, 11 months ago

Bill Self. Coach. Athletic trainer. Physician. Pain Management Specialist. Hypnotist. Coach! Coach! Please don't make me go in! I'm hurt Coach. I can't breathe! I want to go home! Get in there, Bragg. It's all in your head! And please... try to keep your snotlocker out of the way of those sharp Turkish elbows.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 11 months ago

C'mon Brett - play nice. I'm from the pre-personal computer age. Humpy sounds more like a millennial than a baby boomer.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

The "pre facebook" era? Is that before people willingly handed over personal info to the whole world that they would have shot a stranger for asking about....

Brad Farha 3 years, 11 months ago

I took it to mean the Lawrence Journal World era prior to requiring Facebook credentials to comment on this site. But your point is well taken.

Tom Jones 3 years, 11 months ago

The LJW doesn't have my Facebook info. And they won't.

Rodney Crain 3 years, 11 months ago

Just Brett being Brett everyone. Nothing new here, keep moving and try not to make eye contact. He is not interested in commenting on the article or program, just making juvenile comments about other posters.

Hope Bragg is going to be able to get something out of the trip.

Going to be an interesting trip home for him for thats for sure.

Titus Canby 3 years, 11 months ago

Humpy, I was thinking the same thing when I read this. "Yeah, he'll be fine. All he did was break his nose. He's only thousands of miles from home and just graduated from HS. He just needs to toughen up." As for the term "snotlocker," can I use that, or will I owe you royalties?

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 11 months ago

Best I can understand from the article Bragg "broke his nose on a trip down court. He didn't run back...." Not sure what to make of this. Did he running wind sprints and ran into the wall?

Bobby Nightengale 3 years, 11 months ago

I haven't talked to Carlton yet, so not 100% sure how it happened. Best guess is he was hit by an elbow, but I saw him stop running after an offensive or defensive possession and that's when it was first noticeable that something wasn't right.

Eliott Reeder 3 years, 11 months ago

Come on Bobby, you should know the difference between offense and defense by now... ;)

Ron Sterling 3 years, 11 months ago

That's really unfortunate. If there's a silver lining it's that as long as he can get a mask, odds are he'll still be able to compete in these games. Get well soon.

Gary McCullough 3 years, 11 months ago

I like to see this. Bragg is tough! We need tough guys on the team.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

Arrgghh...How will they ever get him a mask? They'll have to FEDEX one from Lawrence...surely there's no possible way a country that produces the best electronics, some of the top selling cars etc etc can make a plastic molded face mask........wow...

Ron Sterling 3 years, 11 months ago

You might actually be surprised. If Korea is anything like Japan, the hospitals there would look like something out of the 60s or 70s to an American. Sure they make reliable cars and nice tvs, and I love my Samsung phone and all, but I wouldn't want to wind up on the operating table in some suburban Korean medical center.

Ron Sterling 3 years, 11 months ago

Astute observation. Try reading for a change. I said IF it is not THAT it is. But either way, I'd be willing to bet that South Korea, being a less wealthy nation than Japan, probably doesn't have a superior healthcare system and the WHO rankings bear that out: Japan is ranked 10th, and Korea ranked 58th. So you're right, I was being waaaaayyy to generous. Their hospitals are probably more like something you'd have seen in the 40s or 50s here.

Clarence Haynes 3 years, 11 months ago

Hospitals from the 40s and 50s were probably blown away during the Korean Conflict.

Ron Sterling 3 years, 11 months ago

Wow. Time for an honest question: Do you have a reading disability like dyslexia? If so, I apologize for my behavior. If not, you should strongly consider some type of adult literacy program because for a neuro-typical person, you have stunningly poor reading comprehension.

Eliott Reeder 3 years, 11 months ago

Really? You're bagging on the hospitals in Japan? I lived there for four years and had nothing but great care. Their hospitals, and South Korea's, are fine. It's not some third world country. Those WHO healthcare rankings you quoted have the USA at 37th,by the way, right between Costa Rica and Slovenia, so you better head to Japan for your next operation.

Darwin Dandy 3 years, 11 months ago

I was looking at one of the pics after the accident Bragg had and I saw him smiling in it. I think he is a big boy and he can handle it.