Saturday, June 27, 2015

Jayhawks all set to begin adventure

Kansas forward Jamari Traylor (31) clears the way through his teammates as they celebrate his lob dunk with less than a minute remaining against Team Canada during Friday's World University Games exhibition at Sprint Center. Pictured with Traylor are Kansas guard Wayne Selden Jr. (1), forward Carlton Bragg Jr. (15) and forward Hunter Mickelson (42).

Let Kansas University’s overseas basketball adventure begin. ...

KU/Team USA’s 12 players plus the injured Devonté Graham, four coaches and six support staff members early this morning were to fly from Kansas City International to Detroit, on to Seoul, South Korea. Then they were to board a train to Gwangju with an arrival time at World University Games Village about 2 a.m., Korea time, Tuesday.

“Detroit to Seoul is roughly 13-14 hours. Coach (Bill) Self is already loading up on movies and those things for the trip,” said Fred Quartlebaum, KU director of student-athlete development. He will work as assistant coach with Jerrance Howard and video coordinator James Cox during the July 3-14 Games in Gwangju. KU assistants Norm Roberts and Kurtis Townsend and director of operations Brennan Bechard remain in Lawrence for the July recruiting period.

“It should be a fun time. I think it will be a great time for us to just bond even on that long flight,” Quartlebaum added.

Each apartment suite in the Village will sleep up to seven members of the traveling party.

“We’re just honored and thrilled to be over there. I’m sure there will be little hiccups along the way (regarding practice gym availability). We’re going to be excited and engage ourselves every single day we’re there,” Quartlebaum said.

The Jayhawks will play an exhibition game against China at 3 a.m., Central time, Thursday, then tip it up for real against Turkey at 10 p.m., Central time, Friday, with that game on ESPNU.

“This is fun,” Self said of the upcoming trip. “Seventeen days is a long time to be all serious. We’ll do different things all the time. We’ll say, ‘Guys, hey be on time, represent yourself and us right and let’s go have some fun.’’’

Self said coaches would scout opponents’ games, but will go into the opener against Turkey with no scouting report.

“We have no idea on rosters, none of that stuff. Even if we did have rosters how would you know what No. 13, his strengths and weaknesses are?” Self said. “We’re not going to be able to pronounce many names. The hardest game to prepare for is the first one, Turkey.

“We won’t have any book on them. We would not have seen them until we get there and they play a game,” Self said. “We may ask other coaches. After that, everybody we play we’d seen play. We’ll have a decent book on teams but not the first game.”

The players when they are not practicing and sightseeing will be working on assignments in a class on Korean culture they’ve been taking the last three weeks on campus.

“What a great opportunity to put a curriculum together for our guys so when they get over there, they will have a sense of understanding of the culture of Korea,” Quartlebaum said, noting KU’s academic support staff came up with the idea of a class for credit hours.

“The great thing is spending time in the classroom, getting that experience and having people who have background on the history and culture (of Korea) to share with our guys,” Quartlebaum added.

KU’s traveling party: Players Frank Mason, Wayne Selden, Lagerald Vick, Nic Moore, Evan Manning, Tyler Self, Julian DeBose, Carlton Bragg, Jamari Traylor, Landen Lucas, Perry Ellis, Hunter Mickelson, Devonté Graham (injured). Coaches: Bill Self, Jerrance Howard, Fred Quartlebaum, James Cox. Support staff: Sean Lester, Dr. Larry Magee, Bill Cowgill, Chris Theisen, Chip Kueffer, Tim Skoch.

Comments

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 10 months ago

I bet the coaches and players will be flying first class, which is about $10,000 per for that group of 19. The 6 staff people probably got coach tickets at $1,500 per. That's going to be about $200k for airfare. The two Canadian exhibition games drew 16,000 total with guessing an average ticket price of about $40 generating about $600k. Paying team Canada probably was in the $250k range leaving the Hawks a little over $300k. After paying about $200k for airfare that leaves about $100k for 17 days of lodging, food (dog is a Korean delicacy), transportation and a per diem of some sorts. Since KU pays for all expenses, it looks like KU Athletics will be taking a hit of about $500k.

DTT-SEL is a long flight and after 17 days in Korea, the return flight will seem even longer. Are players allow to take Ambient? They are going to be soooooooo ready to be back in the USA enjoying good ole American Tex-Mex at someplace like Fuzzy Tacos.

Good luck Hawks. Enjoy the trip. Hope they have a ball and win a few games.

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 10 months ago

Self said previously that the two games against Canada would cover the cost of the WUG's so I would say they are not flying first class (at least not the players, though I can't imagine being that tall and sitting in coach seating) and then that will drop the price significantly (down to probably $1500 per or so) which should save $150,000 or so compared to your estimate above and leaves them with about twice as much money to spend on non-airfare related things. I'm betting KU Athletics doesn't take much of a hit, or maybe even no hit at all, if they fly coach rather than first class.

Rodney Crain 3 years, 10 months ago

Well Shannon a shallow answer from someone who seems inexperienced in flying internationally. There is thing called google you might be surprised by what kind of information it can provide someone. For those that do not know about a subject...

"Internationally" depending on the airline, there can be up to 5 different options of seating available. Extra leg room, and preferred seating might be available on top of the Economy Class, Economy Comfort Class, and World Business Class seating zones (KLM options). Prices for this trip depending on when it was booked (we have know for a while we were going), which they would have utilized, unlike you, well Suzi and I, would have offered additional savings as well so you might, sorry, you would be surprised by how much KU travel dollars might go with regards to our taller than usual passengers. There could even be, gasp, a WUG sponsor airline (Asiana Airlines is a sponsor listed on the US WUG webpage) that offers special pricing for athletes traveling there, imagine that....

There is no "coach" internationally, might have been a while since you last traveled, or left the country, but I would imagine Economy comfort class with extra leg room, would not be more than 3,000-4500 round trip with advanced booking. x 24.

Another swing and a miss, but with you this is expected anymore.

Would like to try another subject maybe? Something you might actually know about?

Ron Prichard 3 years, 10 months ago

What, exactly, is your problem? Other than a discussion on the cost of international aitfare, I didn't read anything in the posts above worth attacking someone over. Who cares if either Suzi or Shannon is right? Seriously, who cares? They aren't debating the merits of players or games or coaches, which I understand can ruffle feathers. But the cost of international airfare? Let it go, man. You need to step back from the ledge.

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 10 months ago

It's OK, He's just upset because he knows I burned him good a few times so he's looking for any way he can find to try to make me look dumb. You know why I didn't Google what the seating is called? Because it has no bearing on the statement I was making. Good to see your Google search powers haven't dwindled away like the rest. ;)

Yes, the first time I flew international was to Germany and Daimler Benz paid my way so I didn't have to bother with the tickets or seating options (and it was many years ago). Since then any flights out of the country have been to tropical locations in the Caribbean or Mexico.

Regardless of the name of the seating, I think anyone with half a brain understands the difference between a first class type ticket and a coach type ticket, even if it's called something different on international flights. Regardless, even if you were trying to prove me wrong on something we were all clearly just speculating on, Suzi was the only one that was "right" by assuming they would fly first class (or the equivalent for those who are too obtuse to understand the same type of seating could have a different name depending on the type of flight, plane, or airline).

Tom Jones 3 years, 10 months ago

How hilarious is it that RC changed his profile picture to the exact reaction everyone on this site who reads his posts has?

Well done, buddy. Well done.

Gerry Butler 3 years, 10 months ago

all I really have to say is GOOD LUCK, to the team. Enjoy this adventure, which is a lot of what it is, what an experience to be able to travel abroad, something that the guys will be able to look back on, and say they represented their country & KU at the WUG games. My one request is play hard, play with pride, play with determination, and have fun. No matter how we end up in the games I just think its still a win, win situation for us. I think with the experience the team gets through this, the playing & bonding time for the time, getting use to the shorter shot clock, hell after playing with the 24 sec shot clock 30 sec's will seem like an eternity lol. , the exposure for the team across the United Sates, no matter how many wins we get its just still got to be a win, win. No matter what the outcome just know I/We, KU fans will be here pulling for you each and every game, every minute, every second. I feel if we can make it to the medal rounds no matter what happens after that is cool, we are going up against some really good, older, experienced ball teams, again just play with pride and have fun, and play safe, without injury. GOOD LUCK JAYHAWKS. ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 10 months ago

Are they going to learn to play basketball with K State, Texas, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State?? Is this years annual crop of one year wonders and NBA candidates planning to play basketball at Kansas?

It is nearly football season, but where are the articles on the football team? Do we just sweep it under the carpet anticipating the yearly flopolla of the gridiron group??

This newsrag's devotion to the yearly aggregation of attendees at the Kansas NBA academy is pretty distressing. Past experience being somewhat of a guide, I would not put too much strain on this group of players that have only shown the ability to show up and defeat foreign teams.

The past is prologue.

Tom Jones 3 years, 10 months ago

Don't mind Fred. He's an OU fan that, for some reason, frequents this site, only to rag upon it for what it chooses to cover.

He's an odd one. But everyone makes choices, and he chooses to spend time reading about KU basketball. Who can blame him? ;)

John Thomas 3 years, 10 months ago

Fred, I'm surprised to hear you even bother to read any articles about the basketball team since you don't like them at all including not only the team but the newspaper. Perhaps you could find something else to read. As far as the team is concerned I saw both exhibitions this week and can say I was very happy with our players in both. Good luck guys. Hope you have a fantastic time, win some games, and build on what you have already started.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 3 years, 10 months ago

John, you ought to know by now that I enjoy being a squeaky gate swing in the wind! I had to tour the far east in the Navy and saw a lot of places I had never been to before. And I did not have to play basketball or any other game, we just had to run air strikes against North Viet Nam. And I would not want to do it that way again! I also hope they have time to enjoy these places without having to be engaged in warfare against anyone.

I never said I did not like them, but I do sort of wonder why the basketball team gets so much ink before we have even thrown a football in anger.

Yeah, I like football better, and you know of course that I am Sooner fan. But I do have to wonder about the local football team, they seem to get short shrift in this newsrag.

Aaron Paisley 3 years, 10 months ago

So KU fans should be more interested in how summer conditioning for the football is going than the KU basketball team playing in an international tournament against a lot of countries U20 or U23 teams that starts next week?

Sorry, but I'm much more interested in how the basketball team fares in South Korea than I am about who threw up during a football work out right now.

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 10 months ago

Exactly!

Football team who's biggest story all year may be a win in conference and is currently running drills = who cares

Basketball team representing the USA as Team USA at an International tournament overseas = everyone (but you) cares and therefore we get articles about this once in a lifetime experience.

Harlan Hobbs 3 years, 10 months ago

No offense, Fred, but as always it is about winning. Do you think that the Manhattan Mercury is running many articles about their basketball program given all the dropouts and suspensions? While I have never read their paper, I would imagine that we will see plenty of football articles from them even after the season is over and basketball is in full swing. That's just the nature of things. After all, they have to sell newspapers too.

As a point of reference, if any of you read the Topeka Capital-Journal, you would have noticed that a couple of days ago, their Sports Editor, Kevin Haskins, wrote an opinion piece about how the situation regarding Cliff Alexander is a black mark against Bill Self and the program. I wrote a response that called Mr. Haskins out over his analysis and suggested that he might want to "take a mulligan". I could have asked him if he thought that all of the defections at KSU were a black mark on Bruce Weber, but I didn't, even though Mr. Haskins is clearly a KSU supporter.

I agree, Fred, that a few more football articles might be nice. However, until the program demonstrates on the field that they have something to write about, I don't think the emphasis is going to change.

Tom Jones 3 years, 10 months ago

When he wrote: "that was the time to convince Alexander to stay at KU, no matter what penalties the NCAA was considering based on the financial dealings his mother mistakenly had with a third party", it was abundantly clear he either A) had no idea what was going on with the situation or B) is a complete moron.

And this guy's writing for a newspaper for a city as big as Topeka? Bizarre. Keegan goes a little astray sometimes (don't we all?), but he'd never suggest KU try to save one player whose family made an unfixable mistake at the expense of the entire program.

Joe Ross 3 years, 10 months ago

3 a.m. exhibition against China. Our boys might be jet-lagged still by that time, and not adjusted to the local time of the WUGs. China by contrast is much more favorably suited to the tip-off time.

Joe Ross 3 years, 10 months ago

Did I miss something? Svi and Diallo arent making the trip as team managers? When did that change?

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 10 months ago

I don't think anything changed, I think the information we were provided was misunderstood previously. Those guys did practice with the team as managers and were at the exhibition games with Canada as managers (Svi shot with the team in pregame warm-ups, the other two are injured so they just rebounded for the shooters). I think we all assumed (even the writers here) that they would also go on the trip with the team but it seems pretty clear in hindsight that they can't leave because they will miss the rest of their summer classes they are enrolled in.

Joe Ross 3 years, 10 months ago

Even if that's true (and in light of my ignorance I cant say youre right or wrong), it seems that kusports would have gotten to the bottom of it and given us an update.

???

Shannon Gustafson 3 years, 10 months ago

Well, clearly that's not the case (they didn't give us an update) and the decision had to be made before the summer semester started since those going are in a special class that gets them credit for the trip (plus class work) that those who aren't going never enrolled in. So regardless of the scenario, the decision wasn't made last minute.

Tyler Capone 3 years, 10 months ago

Is there a petition to remove Rodney from commenting on here ever again?