Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Bill Self: KU freshmen ‘pretty good’ vs. Canada

Kansas guard LaGerald Vick (2) drives to the basket in the first-half of a Team USA exhibition game against Canada Tuesday, June 23, at the Sprint Center in K.C., MO.

— Only a few months removed from playing against high school opponents, Kansas University freshmen Carlton Bragg and Lagerald Vick made the most of their Jayhawk debuts in Team USA’s 91-83 victory over Canada on Tuesday at the Sprint Center.

Bragg finished with four points, four rebounds and three steals in 13 minutes, shooting 2-for-8 from the floor. He was a fixture around the free-throw line, never hesitating to take the open jumper.

On defense, Bragg used his length to poke the ball away and dive on the court for loose balls, making up for any lack of strength against older Canadian players.

“I really like his game,” senior Perry Ellis said of the freshman from Cleveland, Ohio. “He was out there hustling. He played a great game, I feel. Real skilled also, so bright future for him.”

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self on approach to international play

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self discusses the Jayhawks' approach to international play following KU's summer debut — an exhibition victory over Canada, in Kansas City, Missouri.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Mason, Traylor and Ellis discuss summer debut

Kansas basketball veterans Frank Mason III, Perry Ellis and Jamari Traylor meet the media Tuesday night at Sprint Center, following the Jayhawks' exhibition win over Team Canada.

Download podcast

Vick missed his first shot, but scored on a fast-break layup in the first quarter, assisted from SMU senior Nic Moore. He added a buzzer-beating layup in the final seconds before halftime, recording four points, one rebound and one steal in 14 minutes, while shooting 2-for-8.

“I thought they were both pretty good,” KU coach Bill Self said. “They don’t know what they’re doing, obviously. Legerald tries hard and his man just goes around him whenever he wants to. Carlton is not physically strong yet to, you know, get rebounds in traffic and stuff.”

“But I think you can tell Carlton is going to be really good,” Self added. “That’s obvious. Legerald is a freakishly long, quick-twitch athlete that when he gets comfortable, he’ll be very good, too. So I think that’s pretty encouraging seeing those two out there. I thought they both did fine.”

If there were any nerves during their first few minutes on the court, Bragg and Vick tried to hide it with their hustle. The upperclassmen are doing their best to help Bragg and Vick get acclimated to the college ranks.

“I feel like I was talking to Carlton and Legerald the whole time in the game,” senior Jamari Traylor said. “I feel like that’s my role to help guys out when I can because I know a lot. Being here, I know what coach expects from guys.”

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Canada exhibition

Comments

Shannon Gustafson 4 years, 4 months ago

I agree, though their stats weren't mind blowing, considering how little time they've had to get acclimated with the system and such, they looked good (especially Bragg). Vick certainly looked to have the physical tools to be a very exciting player down the line, he's just got to slow down and figure things out first.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 4 months ago

I thought I read on here from articles and commenters like yourself, our Freshman were All World, turning heads, getting rave reviews!

They just looked like promising young players that need to slow down and figure things out first. Huh, so all the hype so far was well just hype? Imagine that...

Shannon Gustafson 4 years, 4 months ago

I know you're just trying to be a d**k but I'll play along. Our Freshmen were turning heads and getting rave reviews from the media and recruiting services so you can't argue that fact (though you try to argue everything so I'm not surprised you're hear trying to dispute undeniable facts from the past). I'm sure somewhere deep down in your brain you understand that rave reviews for high school kids does not mean they are going to average 20 & 10 as Freshman, or play lights out in their first game at KU. I know you like to play dumb though so you'll deny that understanding.

So our best freshman hasn't stepped foot on campus yet, our second best one actually played really well and looked better overall in his first game than any freshman I can remember recently other than Wiggins, and our 3rd best had great moments that showed what will happen once he calms down.

If we're going to call people out for what they previously said, how about you saying all the hype around Mason's 30 point scrimmage games were a joke because there is no defense in the scrimmage, then he comes out tonight and does the same thing (in one half even) and yet your first comment about the game is bitching that the Freshman didn't both go for 30 points each.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 4 months ago

Our top rated recruit a couple years ago (#1 PG?) actually looked good in his first game IIRC, or was it his second that he went off against USC? Unfortunately, he got hurt and never really produced much after that.

Hmmm? What other first game performances are out there?

Signed, Your generally agreeing devil's advocate

Shannon Gustafson 4 years, 4 months ago

Yes, you're right. I forgot about that one. I can't remember for sure if it was his first game but I think it was. Regardless, injury and his head got in the way after that and he was gone before he ever made much of an impact.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 4 months ago

Absolutely! Like Rodney says, if a player can't dominate his first game after one week of practice, it obviously means that he's a hopeless loser that will never amount to anything.

But then what can you expect. This rag tag bunch was put together by the coach that's obviously past his prime, can't recruit, and might as well retire before he gets fired. Heck, it's almost July and we don't have a single commitment for 2017. There is no way we can have the top recruiting class sown up by October at this rate.

Might as well fire 'em all, revoke the schollies, and start over.

Mark Lindrud 4 years, 4 months ago

Self should be fired because we haven't gotten a commitment from Lebron James' son yet. Then we can hire Rodney to take us to 10 straight national titles.

Bill Kiekel 4 years, 4 months ago

Now THAT is a good creative response...

Brianna Zaleski 4 years, 4 months ago

Rodney,

I believe you just got served. Way to go Shannon.

Facts are tough things for trolls to deal with. Now get back under the bridge, Rodney, the sun is coming up.

Darwin Dandy 4 years, 4 months ago

Well when you're still trying to get like these freshman are...hustling is always a good start. Just wished these games were televised.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 4 months ago

Anyone can become All-World just by hard work and individual determination, but a freshman at KU I would expect to be All-Galaxy at the very least, and a 5-star I would expect nothing less than KU to produce into an All-Universe caliber performer.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 4 months ago

The freshmen looked like freshmen, shocker. This tournament will help their learning curve which is a good thing, but neither are going to be high impact players this year simply because of who's ahead of them on the depth chart. Carlton Bragg will not play big minutes as long as Perry Ellis is on the active roster. That's not a bash on Bragg in any way, he just happens to play the same position the best player on the team and therefore won't have many minutes available to him this year.

Shannon Gustafson 4 years, 4 months ago

After seeing him play last night, I would not be surprised if he's playing more minutes than we think by the end of the year. If Jamari plays like he did last year, Bragg will steal minutes from him later in the year. If we get more of "Good Jamari" then that may not happen. I do agree that it will take an injury ro two, or him playing out of his mind to get big minutes though.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 4 months ago

Don't forget that Carlton is the 2nd most highly rated recruit. Self sounds like he is expecting Cheick Diallo to start - at least by conference time if not the beginning of the year. He might not be quite as developed as Jo by the time he leaves, but sounds like it might be the same sort of scenario.

Shannon Gustafson 4 years, 4 months ago

Yep, I actually said above that Carlton is our second best Freshman. Hopefully Diallo is great for us this year but it's hustle based, not skilled based, and he stays around another year to develop his skills.