Monday, June 1, 2015

Slam-dunk decision: Ole Miss transfer Dwight Coleby coming to KU

Mississippi center Dwight Coleby, left, looks to pass as he's defended by Arkansas forward Jacorey Williams in this photo from Jan. 17 in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Dwight Coleby will fly from KCI to his native Bahamas on Monday — ready to begin working out with the Bahamas National Team — as a proud member of the Kansas Jayhawks.

“I am excited to be a part of something special here at Kansas #Rock Chalk Jayhawk,” Coleby, the 6-foot-9, 240-pound former Ole Miss center, Tweeted at 6 p.m. Sunday, the second day of his three-day KU campus visit.

“I knew it was the best place for me, the overall history and the history with big guys ... how they challenge the big guys here and how they play,” Coleby told the Journal-World about 40 minutes after committing — and signing scholarship papers — to KU.

“Other schools were interested in me. Once Kansas called, I knew that was it, so it didn’t matter the rest of the schools,” added Coleby, who will report to KU for second session of summer school in July after playing in the Caribbean Basketball Confederation tournament in Virgin Islands.

Coleby, who averaged 5.4 points and 4.8 rebounds while logging 16.5 minutes a game in 34 games his sophomore season for 21-13 Mississippi, didn’t reveal any of the other schools on his list of possible transfer destinations. It was pretty much a slam dunk he’d be attending KU as long as his campus visit went smoothly.

“There are a lot of schools who called (after Coleby announced plans to transfer on May 19 and received his release),” said Darrell Sears, who coached Coleby at St. George’s High School in Freeport, Bahamas, as well as with the Bahamas Jaguars summer youth program.

“He was focused on what he wanted. He did a lot of research himself. I helped as best I could. He knew in terms of coach (Bill) Self’s high/low offense … that suited him perfectly. I think once KU came in the picture, that was the end of it.”

Sears understood Coleby’s decision to commit even before the campus visit was over.

“In terms of what he was looking at, what we know of the program ... you are talking about a Rolls-Royce-type program,” Sears said. “How much better are you going to get than Kansas? C’mon. And the style suits him perfectly.”

Coleby learned all details about KU’s style of play on this trip to Lawrence.

“They showed me the facilities. I was impressed with those. I also watched some tape of the games and how they train big guys. I was impressed by it. I knew it was the right place for me to go,” said Coleby, who said he spoke with Wayne Selden Jr., and Frank Mason III extensively on the visit.

Coleby will practice but not play in games next season in accordance with NCAA transfer rules. He’ll have two years of eligibility starting in 2016-17.

“I think he has the mentality to do what coach Self and the program needs him to do, be a tough inside guy, because that’s what he is,” Sears said of Coleby, who hit 53.2 percent of his shots his sophomore season. “He’s what I call a quiet killer. He doesn’t talk much, but he’s a bruiser, a very physical kid. He will go over there and work, work, work, work.”

Asked what he brings to the table, Coleby said: “Energy. I can shoot it to midrange, get rebounds, play tough in the post. I am a shot-blocker, too.”

Coleby’s brother, Kadeem, played his senior year at Wichita State after starting out at Louisiana-Lafayette.

“I knew about Kansas before that,” Dwight Coleby said. “I watched games on TV from the Bahamas.”

Coleby, who started three games a year ago, hit 67 of 126 shots overall and 51 of 64 free throws for 79.7 percent. He also had 29 blocks.

Coleby scored in double figures six times in 2014-15. He had 11 points, nine rebounds and three blocks on Feb. 2 at Florida. He had 10 points, six rebounds and four blocks vs. the Gators on Jan. 24 at Ole Miss.

He also appeared in five games, averaging 2.6 points and 2.2 rebounds in 6.6 minutes per game as the Bahamas won the gold medal of the Caribbean basketball championship last July.

“It is exciting. It is great,” he said of signing with KU. “The history and tradition ... I have to prove I am worthy of being here.”

Coleby arrived in the U.S. before his junior year at Piney Woods (Mississippi) High. An unranked three-star player (by Rivals.com), he averaged 20 points, 15 rebounds, five blocks and three assists his senior season and was ranked the No. 2 overall player in Mississippi that year by ESPN. He also lettered in track.

“I’ve seen him from when he was 14-years-old, when he was a chubby little kid,” Sears said. “He has made tremendous strides as a basketball player and young man. We couldn’t be more proud of him. For Kansas to be interested in him was a pleasure in itself.

“This is my personal opinion ... he’s more skilled than (Cliff) Alexander. Alexander might be a tad more athletic, but (Coleby) is more skilled than Alexander. A year in KU’s system, working and coming to play his junior year ... I don’t care what kind of freshman is coming in. If he (Coleby) allows one of them to take his spot, that’s on him. A guy like Alexander ... he is really solid. And Dwight is coming in more skilled than him, even at this point.”

KU has filled its allotment of 13 scholarships for the upcoming season, provided KU commit LaGerald Vick, as expected, reclassifies to the Class of 2015. The incoming class consists Coleby; No. 21-ranked (By Rivals.com) Carlton Bragg, 6-9 forward, Cleveland’s Villa Angela St. Joseph High; No. 5 Cheick Diallo, 6-9, forward, Our Savior New American, Centereach, New York; and No. 33 (Class of 2016) Vick, 6-5 guard, Memphis Douglass High. Vick is expected to announce his reclassification to the Class of 2015, perhaps today, and compete for KU’s World University Games team this summer. Coleby cannot compete for the World Games team because he was not born in the U.S.

Comments

Brian Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

From this article it appears we are done recruiting and HCBS will not be reshuffling to find one more scholarship for a Thon Maker, Papagiannis, or Chukwu.

I am surprised more players don't just sign with KU as fast as Colby did once an offer is made. 3 and 4 star players looking to play at the next level have to do something to improve their game. Playing everyday against the very best is a great way to do it. Welcome aboard Colby. A very smart move for you future recognizing the magnitude of the opportunity.

IMO, On the other hand, I am surprised and disappointed Chuckwu didn't jump at the chance. I guess it's first come first serve when there are more offers than scholarships and Chukwu didn't jump.

Glen Miller 2 years, 1 month ago

Chukwu is supposedly visiting Wednesday. I don't know how we get him a scholarship, but someone might be transferring.....

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 1 month ago

I wonder who would transfer to make room for him? All of our backup bigs have redshirted a year so transferring isn't an option for them unless Traylor or Mickelson graduated this summer. Although Traylor and Lucas both did their redshirt year at the beginning, so maybe their 5 years of eligibility didn't start until the first year they played? Can someone answer this?

Matt Kenton 2 years, 1 month ago

Just my guess, but I bet Hunter Mickelson graduates and transfers to play his last year immediately. And honestly, I wouldn't blame him.

Len Shaffer 2 years, 1 month ago

Welcome to Jayhawk Nation, Dwight!!!

If your skills are even HALF as great as your attitude, we're in for a tremendous couple of years!

Trace Stark 2 years, 1 month ago

Rock Chalk Dwight!!!

A year and a half of Hudy-ising and this guy could be a beast>

2 years, 1 month ago

Guy looks a lot bigger than chukwu in the arms and shoulders. I like the idea of frank feeding in to selden out and in. guy gives us options, i can only imagine the relief mason has now and what is going through his head as a bball engineer.

Keith Gellar 2 years, 1 month ago

lets just hope self doesn't hunter mickelson him

Page Butler 2 years, 1 month ago

I'm pretty sure Hunter Mickelson has had his chances to prove himself to the coaches. I doubt coach self has purposefully held him back.

Tom Jones 2 years, 1 month ago

I was wondering what Keith was talking about...that's hilarious if that's what he thinks is happening.

Keith Gellar 2 years, 1 month ago

i'm glad i bring some joy to your probably dreadful life

Tom Jones 2 years, 1 month ago

Life is great, thanks, but thank you for your consistent comic relief, little buddy!

Keith Gellar 2 years, 1 month ago

I never said coach self purposefully held him back..thanks for putting words in my mouth!

All i'm saying is Self can get stubborn at times and tries to develop players a certain way. E.g., look at Cliff- the the NBA workouts, the scouts are raving about his perimeter shot...why did Self never develop this or use this? was it because self was trying to mold cliff into a typical post player and didn't explore his other skills?

No one is saying Coach self is doing this intentionally. But, in the past also, one of the labels Self has is that he one dimensionalizes players...(who knows maybe that's what happened in hunters case?)...just hope self fully explores the skills of all his players...not just the ones that fit in his offense

Jay Scott 2 years, 1 month ago

Keith. It might be wise for you to fight the urge to post your thoughts on a public forum.

Keith Gellar 2 years, 1 month ago

thanks Jay! i'll remember to live my life based on your recommendations

Jesse Johnson 2 years, 1 month ago

If Dwight Coleby never cracks the rotation, that means we have even better players ahead of him. Why would that be a bad thing?

Keith Gellar 2 years, 1 month ago

Why was it a bad thing for Calipari when Marcus lee couldn't crack the rotation? We saw how that turned out and the effect it had on future recruits

Benz Junque 2 years, 1 month ago

Coleby isn't a Top 25 recruit. Apples and oranges.

Doug Longstaff 2 years, 1 month ago

This is an excellent low risk, potential high reward for KU. We don't have room for another big in 2014-2015. Take this guy who is still in the rough, although with skills (bigs that can hit 79% from the line always have value) and see what Hudy and some practice time can do to them in a year.

Don't know if you noticed, but Dwight is already 21 years old. Will turn 23 about the mid-point of his JUNIOR year at KU. If he gets a good experience playing for his national team this year, plus a good year practicing, he will, literally, be a man playing amongst boys.

Tom Jones 2 years, 1 month ago

Great pickup for the Hawks. Kid is going to be an absolute beast.

Tom Jones 2 years, 1 month ago

Also, Chukwu is still visiting this week, per Zagsblog 15 minutes ago, so...either A) he's got bad info, which is rare, B) Vick is not reclassifying or C) someone is leaving...Hunter, perhaps? Pure speculation, of course.

Brian Wilson 2 years, 1 month ago

I agree with everyone that thinks it might be Hunter possibly leaving. As I have heard and speculated. I believe Hunter has graduated and is a 5th year senior with 1 year of eligibility. I'm not 100% sure about the rules, but eventhough he has transferred before, as a graduate student he can still transfer again.

I would think, that as long as his masters degree is in a field KU does not offer I think he can still transfer with immediate eligibility. This would mean he could go to another big time program like (ugghh!): UK, UNC, Maryland, SMU.

Or, if KU cuts him, he can get a waiver, a "run-off" waiver, for being cut by the program.Which btw is another way to immediate eligibility! If a player gets cut by his team they can apply for a hardship waiver, a "run-off' wavier. This could happen to any player on the team but Mickelson is the most likely candidate if it were to happen.

I think someone on the team should just afford to pay for school and give their scholarship up for the good of the team. What do you think?

2 years, 1 month ago

As long as he uses his four years of eligibility within a five-year period then all is good.

Michael Ales 2 years, 1 month ago

Does anyone think Darnell Jackson clone? Don't have a Big 7', but atthletic. What a practice player for a year. I'm ready for the season to start already. OMG if we can only hit the outside shot look out, could be # 6.

Joe Ross 2 years, 1 month ago

Ive seen comments speculating that Chukwu went cold on Kansas or vice versa. Remember that just 5 days ago Paschal added Iona to his list. Iona? It begs the question of who would add Iona with heavy interest from Kansas, unless he knows that his desire or opportunity to play here (or both) is receding?

And yet, if his visit is kept on Wednesday we will know that there is more to the story than we fans are suspecting, as the scholarship situation will not allow Chukwu to transfer here if Vick reclassifies (Vick's decision is purported to be announced prior to Wednesday). Yet there have been no whispers of Mickelson transferring out or the like.

Joe Ross 2 years, 1 month ago

By the way, I don't think Ive ever had much of a personal interest in other league coaches (unless, of course, it was negative interest..."sit down Norm!"). But Im gonna miss Fred Hoiberg and the competition that was ratcheting up with Iowa State. Even as a Kansas fan I feel the loss.

John Fitzgerald 2 years, 1 month ago

Me too. Hoiberg is a class act and the competition he brought to ISU was fun. Hopefully they find a quality replacement.

2 years, 1 month ago

I agree and think he is making a mistake in leaving. I hope he succeeds but not many college coaches seem to make the transition into the NBA. Calipari, Pitino, Tarkanian, Carlesimo come to mind but maybe there are more Larry Brown's that I don't remember.

Gerry Butler 2 years, 1 month ago

Boy, I guess I've missed the boat, pretty hard to get all worked up over a guy that averaged and awesome 5.4 a game and 4.8 rebounds per game his Soph year at that power house Mississippi program.Now either Coach Self and staff know more then we on the outside know and he very well might that's why he is at & that's why I'm at where I'm at, I don't know but maybe he had world that our chances of landing Chukwu, wasn't that strong then fine, but if we had ANY chance my question for this is why? unless there is some under lying story and no I don't feel there is a transfer moving out of OUR program there just has to be something else. because you put them head to head and its Chukwu hands down. ALOT better rim protector, upside is MUCH higher, have heard that from so many sources, seems like a wasted scholarship, just a body we don't need another 6ft 9 guy sitting the bench for mop up playing time, as where Chukwu is the 7ft2 rim protector and given the year to practice against the current players and a year in the weight room with Hudi just don't see it, just a body to fill the roster. if will can't get Paschal rather save the scholarship there has to be something else, they we don't know about. Paschal will I'm sure cancel his visit now.

Joe Ross 2 years, 1 month ago

I think there is an assumption in your comment that Paschal was set on coming to Kansas. If it were a foregone conclusion, then why did he add Iona five days ago?

Eliott Reeder 2 years, 1 month ago

"Pretty hard to get all worked up over a guy that averaged and awesome 5.4 pts and 4.8 rebounds per game". Ummm... Chukwu averaged 2.6 pts and 2.4 reb a game and shot 59% from the line last year. Why are you so high on him? A couple of inches? I'll take Coleby thank you very much!!!

2 years, 1 month ago

I personally thought that Chukwu was the guy we wanted most as it seems he has more upside but maybe Self knows something we don't. Chukwu still has Kansas listed as well as Nebraska, Virginia and Michigan State.

Also, Chukwu has three years of eligibility left and comparing sophomore stats to freshman stats doesn't really prove very much. Regardless, I trust our coaches to make the right choice and I'm happy either way. From what was once considered to be a recruiting disaster (which I admit to being one of) has turned into pure gold.

Shannon Gustafson 2 years, 1 month ago

5.4 pts and 4.8 reb in 16 minutes per game...double his minutes and that's hypothetically a double double average as a Sophomore. Doesn't mean he'll be an All-American but it also doesn't mean he's a scrub that will never play meaningful minutes. It's not like Chukwu's stats are off the charts either.

John Pritchett 2 years, 1 month ago

"Now either Coach Self and staff know more then we on the outside..."

I'll go with that.

Gerry Butler 2 years, 1 month ago

well got this feeling we will never know now for sure huh? never assume, can be costly, especially in recruiting. I don't blame a kid for wanting to takes his visits, rather Iona is on the same level as KU or not which they CLEARLY CLEARLY are not, but the kid has to be happy no matter what level of game , college he transfers too, that's whats sweet about America freedom of choice, he can come to a power house such as Kansas but end up being miserable, its just better to have their visits to wherever but when this guy jumps then the domino effect takes place hence we I'm sure will never know if he truly wanted to come here or not. it wasn't even his time to make his visit to KU till later this week, so you can't say he was dragging his feet on deciding, what else can he do? commit to you BEFORE he even visits the campus? that's not a smart decision. KU offer the scholarship to the other kid before Chukwu even visited. that's why I still believe there is more to this then what we are aware of. with him still coming on Wednsday as I have heard, just a few minutes ago makes you believe like I have seen either Vick is staying in class of 2016, or we have someone transferring out

Harlan Hobbs 2 years, 1 month ago

Good point about Chukwa, Joe. Iona is a moon shot away from KU. One statistic I especially like about Coleby is that, even as a big man, he hit 79% of his free throws. If he ends up being a low post beast, he will likely get fouled a lot.

Michael Bennett 2 years, 1 month ago

Coleby does seem to fit the mold of Bill Self big men: a little undersized, but athletic, tough, and high-energy. It's debatable whether Chukwu would have been the better pickup (I'd be more excited about him) but I'm not surprised Self went for this guy when he had the chance. Not when he continues to play Traylor over Mickelson...

Eliott Reeder 2 years, 1 month ago

Okay, one more time: Chukwu only played 10 minutes a game and averaged 2.6 pts and 2.4 rebounds and shot 59% from the line for Providence, and you guys are acting like we lost out on the next Olajuwon. Let the cards play out. We'll see if Chukwu dominates at Iona next year and then we can lament the guy we missed. In the meantime, WELCOME TO KANSAS Dwight Coleby aka Daddy Smooth...

Eliott Reeder 2 years, 1 month ago

"When Dwight became available, we researched it and watched tape. He's a exactly what I think we need. He's a big guy that can play either bigs position. He's active. He reminds me of a lot of a bigger Jamari or Thomas Robinson-type body." - Bill Self

Kurt Eskilson 2 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for the HCBS perspective! As is usually the case, it's a safe bet that Coach Self knows what he's getting … whether we do or not. But hey, if some folks can't pretend to be much better at evaluating talent than Coach Self and his staff are, then what are they going to post about?

Mike Riches 2 years, 1 month ago

Welcome Dwight! At first glance, he looks like a solid player with a thick body. Not the tallest guy for sure, but a decent skill-set that the coaching staff can work with.

I've been impressed with Self and Co's ability to find solid role players to complement the higher rated talent they recruit. From Kaun and Jackson playing alongside Chalmers and Rush, to McLemore playing with Releford and Withey, what they've done has worked pretty well in the past and I don't see any reason start doubting them now.

Gerry Butler 2 years, 1 month ago

Dwight was quite the stud at Mississippi huh? tore it up didn't he? Chukwu has WAY much more potential to his up side than this guy, and for the wanna be's this is coming from people who actually know a little bit about the game, not me. his potential is MUCH GREATER but its allright maybe Dwight is from Missouri where he can SHOW ME. why was this guy transferring anyways? this wa a Soph, Chuwku is a fresh, i'll take rim protection we have enough scorers, Maybe,just Maybe mr Dwight was afraid of getting beat out of what little production his was giving. cool, you wanna stats? here is Stats. Mr Dwight played 16 plus minutes a game Chuwku like you say 10 let him play the quote unquote 16 minutes per game pretty silimilar . nobody said he was going to go to Iona, but we know this, he ISN'T coming to KU for sure now huh? so now what mr Eliott? given the equal amount of playing time, its a wash. and comparing him to Robinson, that's awesome only 1 problem T-ROB was an offensive threat, we don't need another guy defense can sag off of. lets play some more 4 on 5 if this guy can't cu it then he is gonna be a stud at KU? ya ok

Shannon Gustafson 2 years, 1 month ago

How many times are you going to say the same thing in these comments? This is the 3rd time you've said basically the same thing (Dwight sucks, Chukwu is a stud). People have responded to your previous comments but rather than responding to those, you just post the same thing again farther down the page. You say Chukwu is a stud with a super high ceiling but yet he's got the likes of Iona chasing after him. You'd think if he was such a lock to be a lottery pick that Kentucky would be after him to fill one of their scholarships.

You said Dwights stats aren't impressive, we showed that they were better than Chukwu's and on a per minute basis they actually were pretty good.

Guess what? We got Dwight. You can't change that. If you don't like it, you either have to deal with it, or you have to find another team to root for. For that matter, Chukwu is still scheduled to visit so you may get "your" guy as well.

Matt Woolley 2 years, 1 month ago

I think people that are saying he is going to be a stud are definitely a little over the top. But, saying he makes us play 4 on 5 is also a little too far the other way. Ole Miss was a 3-point shooting team (shot 100 more 3s than KU did last season) so his stats are also a little deflated from that I'd imagine. Not saying I wouldn't have rather had Chukwu, more saying I trust Self to make good decisions.

"Coleby could play a big role tonight to provide some more size in the Ole Miss lineup. After a strong freshman campaign, Coleby is having another solid season off the bench for the Rebels. He is a very good rebounder, especially on the offensive glass, and finishes everything around the rim." Just a scouting report I found of him online before they played Kentucky. Sounds like a guy I wouldn't mind having come off the bench in the future.

Aaron Paisley 2 years, 1 month ago

My thoughts on this is why didn't Self go after Johnathan Williams III harder if he was looking for someone to play both high and low post? Williams is a proven player in a major conference being a 2 year starter at Missouri. Williams was also reportedly ready to commit to KU because he's always wanted to come to KU.

What's done is done and I hope Coleby works out as Self hopes he does.

Harlan Hobbs 2 years, 1 month ago

Yes, Aaron, I am sure that you have all of the inside information on Williams. I love you guys who piss and moan as to why we haven't signed people earlier, then you throw darts at commitments when they do happen. My guess is that Bill Self has a pretty good idea of who he wants and why, so I will continue to just be positive that, when it comes to recruiting, he will get the job done.

Gerry Butler 2 years, 1 month ago

probably as many times as I feel the need to say it there sparky, I been a KU fan probably long before your were ever thought of being bored, I did not say as you so brilliantly put say Paschal is a quote unquote stud, but this guy by far is not any better then Paschal, but thanks for your timely input. this is why we its great to live in America freedom of speech, freedom of opinion, hell what I'm saying here is no whose the the idiots that are always bashing Coach Self and the ones that kept and or say FIRE COACH SELF now you wanna bitch bitch at those idiots. I am saying I don't think this was the best choice. but I'm not the coach, that's why he is at where he is, this is just my personal opinion, but you don't need to worry I will continue to say what I feel, if Paschal had played the same amount of minutes he would average just a much as this guy so its a WASH maybe you don't get that but its ok I understand ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Eliott Reeder 2 years, 1 month ago

And Chukwu is 7'2" and weighs in at a whopping 226...

Shannon Gustafson 2 years, 1 month ago

When you learn how to use the "Reply" button so people know what comment you're referring to, it will make a bit more sense.

You don't know when I was thought of being "bored" and it has nothing to do with this conversation. Age does not automatically make you right or wrong.

Above you said: pretty hard to get all worked up over a guy that averaged and awesome 5.4 a game and 4.8 rebounds per game his Soph year at that power house Mississippi program. Now you're saying those are a wash with Chuckwu's stats at powerhouse Providence (who you're super excited about). I can understand preferring one player over the other (I do as well) but with the minimal info we have at our hands regarding these two players and their on-court abilities, as well as the off the court stuff like character, grades, work ethic, drive, determination, etc. (which are just as important as their physical abilities) I can't understand how you can trash Self's decision to offer Dwight a scholarship and not put him on hold until Chuckwu visits. For all we know Chuckwu may not have had much interest in coming here as he may be searching for a place he can get more minutes (like Iona).

Gerry Butler 2 years, 1 month ago

hey look, I do know how to use the reply button. but thanks for your input, and no, just goes to show again uh NO I was not trashing Coach Self on his decision, I have Great respect for coach Self unlike some others here, but I also do try and take my crimson and blue blinders off every now and then, and think EVERY DECISIONS that is made is an awesome & correct decision in MY MIND like so many others have voiced theirs on other topics over time here , like the multi talented FIRE COACH SELF poster likes to say all the time, I am intitled to an opinion, and voice that opinion whether you happen to enjoy it or not. I'm not even saying whether it is right or not, its MY OPINION. I'm not asking if you agree or disagree , I'm not asking you if you like what I say or not, I'm voicing my opinion which everyone does so on here, sooo having said that thanks for your input, and have a great day

Shannon Gustafson 2 years, 1 month ago

Congrats on learning how to use the Reply button!

Your opinion is fine. Your opinion 3 times in the same article is in line with the FIRE BILL COACH postings from a few weeks ago that were also seen multiple times under the same article.

Tom Jones 2 years, 1 month ago

"I been a KU fan probably long before your were ever thought of being bored"

OK, I laughed.

Gerry, love your enthusiasm but your posts make my brain hurt to read.

Harlan Hobbs 2 years, 1 month ago

Had I read your post, Matt, before I responded to Aaron, I could just have said "ditto."

Gerry Butler 2 years, 1 month ago

Oh, Eliott, thank you. and that's why during the season he has to sit out, he is in the weight room and conditioning with Hudi. but I'm sure you could figure something better then probably one of the better conditioning coaches on the college scene right? I'm sure you could. he would be out for the year, get better conditioning, put on bulk, that THEY as in the coaching staff and hudi NOT YOU or I think needs done and gets to scrimmage against Cheick, Perry, Hunter, and Jamari for the following season but hey that's all a mute point now anyways whatever is best for the team enough of this you have your opinion and I have mine, as long as it is in the best interest of the team then its all good, and Coach feels he will help then that's good enough for me. we need all the inside presence we can get losing ALOT so just hope it turns out ok. solid, solid class. ROCK CHALK ALL DAY LONG BABY

Eliott Reeder 2 years, 1 month ago

Well, at least we agree on that! I hope both of these young men are successful wherever they end up... Rock Chalk!!!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Please allow me to put in my two cents worth:

1] I don't have a clue about any of these kids.

3] America is a great country whereby all of us, especially me, can look like idiots arguing about stuff we really have no idea about.

4] I just got two tickets down low across from the KU bench for the Kentucky game next January in Allen from my good friend, Wilbur Nether....for free.

5] Let's keep it positve..let's keep it friendly...let's kick ass!!!!!

Eliott Reeder 2 years, 1 month ago

If you need a wingman for that Kentucky game I'm available... ;)

Joseph Bullock 2 years, 1 month ago

Great post Tony Bandle. And Shannon, don't get drawn into the drama, here! You early posts were excellent! Someone could actually pay their own way, which would free up a scholarship! That happened here quite a long time ago, but I can't remember who did it. I think we get both guys!

Tony Bandle 2 years, 1 month ago

Keith Llangford paid for his cousin for a couple of years, if I recall.

Eliott Reeder 2 years, 1 month ago

Yep, it was Justin Wesley, Langford's little brother...

Chad Durbin 2 years, 1 month ago

Tony B., great points;

1] I don't have a clue about any of these kids. Nobody really does!

2] Bill Self knows more about basketball while mumbling in his sleep than I do having been a Jayhawk since 1966. HCBS knows basketball and knows what he is looking for!

Dwight is a great pickup, and won't be able to play until next season. I don't believe he received a scholarship, just grants and aid, but maybe I missed something. I am not sure that Chukwu will be able to play this season either? He may decide after his visit tomorrow.... Now let's look to the future 2016 recruits;

Rivals #2 Harry Giles 6'10 220 out of NC Rivals #13 Udoka Azubuike 6'9 260 Rivals #29Marques Bolden 6'10 240 Desoto TX Rivals #35 Schnider Herard 6'10 255 Plano TX recruited by Norm and Terrance Rivals #36 Tony Bradley 6'10 235 Bartow FL recruited by Norm Rivals #78 Rodney Miller 6'11 245 VA

These are just in the top 100 Centers and not counting the OAD and 5th year transfers or the other position players being recruited?

By my count KU still has one scholy left for 15 and will have scholarships available the following so let's let HCBS do what he does best coach and evaluate talent otherwise we would all be in the running for the IA State job and already have the next 11 straight Conf. Championship trophies lined up on a shelve with our NCAA National Championship Trophies....

Just my opinion.... tear it up ladies and gentlemen!

Shannon Gustafson 2 years, 1 month ago

Dwight's under full scholarship so we have no more available this year unless someone transfers or gets their scholarship pulled. Chukwu would also not be able to play this coming season, just like Dwight.

Harlan Hobbs 2 years, 1 month ago

Always enjoy your insight Tony. I've been a long-time Jayhawk like yourself (actually I have a few years on you, but that's irrelevant). I never missed a home game in the four years that I was at KU, graduating in 1970.

What a privilege it has been to see so many great individuals come through the program, none better than Bill Self. When you consider the athletic and academic achievements that have occurred under his watch, along with his numerous awards for humanitarian efforts, he is almost in a class by himself.

Tom Jones 2 years, 1 month ago

Just in case anyone didn't see it mixed in with all the old replies, Vick is reclassifying to 2015, so the class is finished unless someone transfers out.