Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Jayhawks to face Chaminade in Maui Invitational opener

KU's Bill Self, Wake's Danny Manning happy their teams are on opposite sides of bracket

The Kansas Jayhawks come together in a huddle wearing special warmups for the Maui Invitational before tipping off against Georgetown on Monday, Nov. 21, 2011 at the Lahaina Civic Center.

The Kansas University men's basketball team will open this year's Maui Invitational with an 8 p.m. central time tip-off against Chaminade on Nov. 23.

The full bracket, which was released Tuesday, features KU taking on the host school in the opener and then facing the winner or loser of the final game of the opening day between UNLV and UCLA.

“It’s obviously a great field,” KU coach Bill Self said in a news release. “You have storied programs and programs that are right on the verge of doing something great. When I studied the bracket, I really pointed out what a great field it was. We’ll play Chaminade, which is not a ‘gimme game’ by any stretch, in the first round. I’m sure we’ll be talking to our players about Virginia (top-ranked and lost to Chaminade in 1982) many years ago before we play. Then the second-round matchup, we’re either going to play UCLA or UNLV. UNLV gave us all we wanted last year in the Fieldhouse and UCLA has been to back-to-back Sweet 16s – so it’s good. I know our guys are looking forward to it.”

photo

Here's a look at the bracket for the 2015 Maui Invitational in November.

This year's tournament includes Danny Manning-coached Wake Forest, but a match-up between Manning and his alma mater seems unlikely. Because the two schools are on opposite sides of the bracket, the meeting would have to come either in the championship game on Nov. 25 or in the consolation bracket.

“I’m actually glad they put Danny and me in opposite brackets,” Self said. “He and I talked about it and he’s pretty happy about that, too. If we make it to the finals, that would be great for both of us, but I wouldn’t be excited about playing Wake and I don’t think he’d be excited about playing Kansas.”

Manning today said he also is glad his squad is not matched against his alma mater in the tourney’s early rounds.

“I’m very happy about that to be honest with you,” Manning said, praising the talent on KU's team. Also .... “Coach Self gave me my break in the coaching profession. I think the world of him. I’m just glad we’re not on the same side of the bracket. Wake Forest is my favorite college basketball team, a close second is Kansas mainly because my son (Evan) is there right now. Being on a different side of the bracket I’m very happy and thankful for."

Kansas returns to Maui for the sixth time overall and third time under Self. KU finished second at the 2011 Maui Invitational and the Jayhawks went on to advance to the school's 14th Final Four and the national title game later that season.

In 2006, KU finished seventh at the event, defeating Chaminade, 102-54, on the final day. The Jayhawks are 2-0 versus the Silverswords, having defeated them 89-62 in the 1987 Maui Invitational quarterfinals and in 2006.

This will mark the fourth trip to Maui for Self, who has taken two teams to the championship game of the event – Kansas in 2011 and Illinois in 2000.

Overall, the Jayhawks are 10-6 in the Maui Invitational and they won the 1996 tournament, where Raef LaFrentz earned Tournament MVP honors.

Comments

Eliott Reeder 4 years, 3 months ago

1. "I’m sure we’ll be talking to our players about Virginia (top-ranked and lost to Chaminade in 1982) many years ago before we play." Just show them the tape of Kansas losing to Ball State in the first round in Maui (2001?). That should be enough... oh, and beware of cramping. We've had a lot of trouble with cramping in that hot gym over there. 2. I don't believe Danny that Wake is his favorite college basketball team, no matter what he says... ;)

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 3 months ago

Manning brings in a consensus top 25 recruiting class to a team that has a good mix of youth, experience and senior leadership. Best player is 6'9" 255 lb. Sr. Devin Thomas, a block shot specialist who can take up a lot of space. Add 4 assistant coaches who played at Kansas and I'm willing to bet breaks .500 this year and at least makes it into the NIT.

Taylor Wright 4 years, 3 months ago

If we follow up the WUG gold medal with a win in Maui, how could we not be considered one of, if not the best team in the country? A win against Michigan St. in the champions classic seems heavily possible, as well. Imagine that; heading into December undefeated with two tourny wins and a gold medal under our belts already. High hopes? Maybe, but it really seems possible with this semi-veteran tough as nails squad. Never been so excited for a season since I've been here at Kansas.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 3 months ago

This is a tournament KU should win. Indiana has a lot of talent, but they have been underachievers under Crean, UCLA should be a solid team, but not on KU's level, St. John's has some talent, but with a new coach it remains to be seen how Mullins system meshes with their current players, UNLV and Vandy have both been down in recent years but both have the talent to make the NCAA tournament this year on paper, and Wake Forest is still a year or two away from being an NCAA tournament team. I know they have a bunch of seniors with a a good recruiting class, but those seniors overall just aren't very good. Wake might get near .500 in ACC play this year, but Danny still needs a couple of more recruiting classes like he had this year to get Wake back into the NCAA tourney picture.

This is what I'm thinking happens in Maui

1st Round

Kansas over Chaminade

UCLA over UNLV

St. John's over Vanderbilt

Indiana over Wake Forest

2nd Round

Kansas over UCLA

Indiana over St. John's

Championship

Kansas over Indiana

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 3 months ago

Watching Diallo take apart Stephen Zimmerman could supply some vicarious enjoyment but I got UCLA also.

Indiana returns five starters from a NCAA 10 seed but only one recruit of note:Thomas Bryant. They still beat St. John's

Solid post IMO.

Just for the heck of it: Maui Invitational MVP = Selden.

Ron Sterling 4 years, 3 months ago

Vandy will beat St. Johns, but otherwise, I think you're spot on.

Bryce Landon 4 years, 3 months ago

Kansas has appeared in the Maui Classic five times and only won it once. Time to change that.

Humpy Helsel 4 years, 3 months ago

Love those warmups! (not really) Did they forget their stuff and borrow those from another team?

Elias Dunlavy 4 years, 3 months ago

Those aqua blue shooting shirts are pretty atrocious. I believe those were worn for Maui tourney only.....BTW, Is it November yet?