Friday, July 24, 2015

Pair of preps plan to attend Late Night

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

Kansas University basketball recruiting.

— Michael Porter Jr., the No. 2 ranked player in the Class of 2017 by Rivals.com, cut his list of potential schools to 17 in June, but Kansas University still ranks high among the remaining choices.

The 6-foot-8 small forward from Columbia, Missouri, scored a game-high 27 points for MoKan Elite in his first game at the Hardwood Classic, an AAU tournament at Shawnee Mission South High. He plans to make a trip to Lawrence for Late Night in the Phog.

“I love Bill Self. I’ve talked to him a lot,” Porter said. “(Assistant) coach (Norm) Roberts … I’ve talked to him a lot. I plan to be at late night this upcoming year. I like KU. I like their style of play and how they develop their players.”

Trae Young, a 6-foot-1 point guard ranked No. 28 by Rivals, is Porter’s AAU teammate and is considering joining Porter at Late Night. Young attended Late Night last year.

“I love Kansas. Coach Self, (assistant) coach (Jerrance) Howard, coach Roberts — all of them — we’ve been in close contact for a while now,” Young said. “Just trying to build a better relationship. Stay in close contact as much as possible. I’m planning on going up there for Late Night, but I need to work that out with my family. When that time comes closer, I’ll let everyone know.

“If I don’t go to Late Night this year, I’m going to go when they play Kentucky.”

Comments

Rodney Crain 4 years, 11 months ago

Great news, lets keep adding to the list.

How about 3 more top recruits?

Jay Scott 4 years, 11 months ago

OK Brett, it's lousy news.... Are you on any meds?

Rob Bedford III 4 years, 11 months ago

Have your people call their people. I am sure your days on Broadway will surely help you put on a great show.

Darwin Dandy 4 years, 11 months ago

This shows how spoiled we are as a fan base because we expect the big name players to visit Late Night when some schools cant get any big time recruits to visit so far as I am concerned it is always great news when the big boys of each class want to come visit and see Kansas on Late Night

Dirk Medema 4 years, 11 months ago

It would seem that we need, and will get, a lot more than 3 more recruits, and particularly 2016 recruits. It's great that these guys are coming 2-3 yrs before graduating, but we're going to have a boat load of spots open for 2016 recruits.

Tree's comment should help us all keep a bit of perspective. It's a long time away from Late Night, so lots of time to make plans.

Darwin Dandy 4 years, 11 months ago

I hope we can get those two to sign some NLI papers.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 11 months ago

This is not great news. We always have a ton of HS talent in the stands at Late Night, and other than Oubre, Alexander, Selden, and Embiid when is the last time that of these 5 star recruits who attended late night actually signed with Kansas during the November signing period?

Who did late night nab us last year in recruiting. Nobody. Just like almost any year. Late night is a sham. Hoards of fans rushing the fieldhouse, trampling the elderly and the young children, out of control. Cancel late night! Now and forever.

Tom Jones 4 years, 11 months ago

"Who did late night nab us last year in recruiting."

Uh...Carlton Bragg?

"When it was all over, though, the 6-foot-9 forward from Cleveland made it clear he was becoming a Kansas Jayhawk, becoming the first commit for coach Bill Self in the class of 2015.

“When I went to Late Night in the Phog, that’s when everything changed,” Bragg said. “It was a great experience.”

Bragg chose KU over finalists Kentucky and Illinois. He’s ranked as the 14th-best player and third-best power forward in his class, according to Rivals.com."

Still wondering why news that top recruits are attending is NOT great news?

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 11 months ago

Bragg signed in November? Rivals states he committed 01/08/15 AND also lists him as the 21st ranked recruit.

Tom Jones 4 years, 11 months ago

Who cares when he signed? The discussion was about Late Night and its effect on recruits.

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 11 months ago

It would be a lot better news (and there is still plenty of time) to see some of the top players from the 2016 class announce their plans to attend.

Let's get Terrance Ferguson and Marques Bolden to announce they are attending.

Tom Jones 4 years, 11 months ago

There's a couple things wrong, here, Brett.

The most glaring problem is this "moving us along in the tournament" tangent. Let's take Alexander, for example. Coming to Late Night did directly influence his decision. In a vacuum, that's awesome. A great thing for KU basketball, no question about it. The goal is to have top basketball prospects sign with KU. Late Night helps with that. Whether that top prospect is an instant superstar or a fantastic four year player or anything in between or whether their mom takes out a loan so they have to be benched OR whether the teams they end up playing on win one, two, three, four, five or six NCAA tournament games is irrelevant when discussing the value of Late Night for recruiting. This is simply inarguable.

Then there's the questioning of the value of Late Night in general. It has helped KU land the Morris twins, Cliff Alexander, Carlton Bragg, Wayne Selden, Joel Embiid, Brannen Greene, Perry Ellis (although he was shooting fish in a barrel even if he hadn't come to late night), Ben McLemore, Josh Selby, Xavier Henry, Elijah Johnson, Sherron Collins, Cole Aldrich, Tyrell Reed, Travis Relaford, Darrell Arthur, Jeff Withey, and Darnell Jackson. A few others, like Julian Wright and Mario Chalmers, said that attending after they had committed "reaffirmed" that they had made the right call. An article would be great, but it's not hard to connect a few dots here and there for the guys on that list who didn't explicitly say it influenced them. It's impossible for these kids to not be impressed by the passionate fanbase and the obvious comradery among the current KU players. Several of the guys on the list cited it as a major reason they signed with KU.

In other words, I think it's fairly safe and very easy to say that Late Night works. Could it use a tweak or two? Sure. But the growing list of top recruits who are lining up to come to Late Night IS, inherently, a big deal and great news. Why would you say otherwise?

And are you saying the KUSports.com shouldn't report it when these recruits say they're going to attend? Why the hell not? KUSports.com. Sounds like a site that tries to cover KU...sports. Call me crazy.

Oh, and Phantom still sells out because it's got some great melodies and the staging's usually pretty damn cool. ;)

Tom Jones 4 years, 11 months ago

Because you questioned why this is great news, for one. What I listed above shows why it's great news. Recruits coming to Late Night increases the odds that they commit to KU.

Then on another post you wanted an article on the effect of Late Night on recruits, implying that you don't think it has much of one. So I elaborated a bit.

But then you went on to say "And Jonathan's list hints at something else: it doesn't seem to be moving us along in the tournament. Combined NCAA performance of Oubre, Alexander, Wiggins (signed later but I believe that he attended Late Night) and Embiid? Zero Sweet Sixteens, Zero Elite Eights, Zero Final Fours, Zero NC's."

That was the other part of what I questioned, and it's clear why.

Capiche?

Dirk Medema 4 years, 11 months ago

To make the tourney the test of value ignores the factor that Embiid and Alexander didn't play and Perry was hurt this year. There aren't many teams that can eliminate that kind of production from their roster and remain elite. It's amazing that people keep bringing up the tourney performance the last 2 years as if there was something normal about those situations. It would seem to me that while not comprehension challenged, that is perspective challenged or context challenged.

Tom Jones 4 years, 11 months ago

The Missouri fans are not happy about this.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 11 months ago

All the better.

Do they fill "Paige" any more (ever?), now that they don't have KU on their schedule?

Gerry Butler 4 years, 11 months ago

WOW. I am coming to the full realization, the more I check out this site, which I like, I realize that there are SOME people who just come to attack others, its like they just lurk around on this site waiting for their chance to where they feel they just have to try and insult other posters. THATS INCREDIBLE. I mean does that really make you feel important? justified? holy crap if that's all you got, then you got a really sad life. Now Rodney today gave his view, his opinion on this article and there was nothing wrong with it at all, thn automatically you have people just automatically taking shots at his statement. Really? this is not romper room, its surpose to be an ADULT free site where you can comment not a site where you can see if you can out do the other, gets really old. I agree with Rodney on THIS ONE, yes I disagree with Rodney a lot but this there was nothing wrong with what he said, and IT IS A BIG DEAL.. It's a big deal o get the recruits on campus however or whatever it takes. late night has ALWAYS been a big recruiting tool for us, always has, always will be. If your going to try and say events like these are no good, useless, then you have NO IDEA. tell Kentucky they are useless, Coach Cal uses it as a huge recruiting tool, just because they visit for late night DOES NOT mean they are expected to sign like oh well I attended their late night so ya I have to sign TONIGHT with them now give me a fricken break. its time to quit taking pot shots at others on here and act you actually have some knowledge pay more attention to what the article is about, instead of seeing what negative things you can come up with on other people who have the perfect right to express their thoughts on such article with out the constant badgering gets really old.

RJ King 4 years, 11 months ago

Gerry - I'm in complete agreement.

BTW. you generally have good posts, but they are really hard to read. The ee cummings style rambling is absolutely nice and informal, but it's difficult to keep my place.

Can I make a suggestion? Break up your points or thoughts into separate paragraphs. Just hit return TWICE. It doesn't take much time, and would make it easier for others to follow what you're saying.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 11 months ago

Good Point. I think most people don't realize that you need to have 2 returns when typing to get 1 when posted. It's goofy how that works, and a bit of a challenge to force when posting.

Benz Junque 4 years, 11 months ago

"I am in complete agreement that some people are just here to rip on others. . Now let me rip you for your poor use of white space..." Pretty much sums up this site in a nutshell.

This thread is AWFUL and embarrassing for KU fans.

I LOVE that Porter and Young are coming to Late Night and I think they would slide into the rotation perfectly. Young would be a freshman PG next to junior Devonte Graham and Porter is a flat out beast. Signing these two would be a great recruiting haul for KU.

RJ King 4 years, 11 months ago

Sigh. There was absolutely NOTHING in my response that "ripped" Gerry. In fact, I was letting him know that I LIKE and RESPECT his posts enough to ask a simple favor - that he hits the return button twice - in order to facilitate reading them.

I'm not the first to observe and comment on that. Chris Shaw did it just the other day. I have always advocated for posters to help make this site a more friendly, mature, clean, and classy place. Not sure how you could've taken my post any other way.

Irony.

Michael Bratisax 4 years, 11 months ago

And of course, there are those who use phony names to fight their battles I thought you made a great post Chris.

Humpy Helsel 4 years, 11 months ago

It is OK Gerry. The ability to think and write critically regarding content without it becoming a personal attack on other people who post is a defined skill set. Some have these skills from God given source, and others have the ability to develop such skills. Some lack these skills, and are unable to develop such, and therefore should be tolerated. Their lack of such skills and should not be judged, ridiculed, nor pitied. They are doing the best they can. It is kind of like the content on television. There is quality to be found, and the rest...well, you just don't click on those channels, choosing to ignore them in hope of those slots eventually being filled by more thoughtful entertainment.

Tom Jones 4 years, 11 months ago

On a page that covers KU basketball, it's obviously newsworthy, Brett. Time to pick a different fight, me thinks.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 11 months ago

just for clarification purposes, my original post was supposed to be an ironic jab at Brett and Rodney's series of discourse.

It was funny to me because usually it's Brett who says that something is good and Rodney who argues that it's meaningless at best. Maybe today is backwards day?

It actually appears that Rodney believes that this is great news (so do I) and Brett no matter what he may or may not have said were he the first commenter rather than second, couldn't resist the urge to disagree with Rodney.

Perhaps Rodney was actually being sarcastic, in which case I missed the point entirely, which is just fine as well.

Tom Jones 4 years, 11 months ago

Ah, crap. Sorry.

Sarcasm meter malfunction.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 11 months ago

that's fine. I realized that my comment could easily be misinterpreted as ridiculously absurd rather than hilariously ironic...

Dirk Medema 4 years, 11 months ago

Good analysis.

Find it hard to imagine this being considered great news as proposed, when a basic level of recruiting seems to be a 50% over-commit signing by the summer or Nov at the latest.

The 50% over-commit is because elite players also have elite prophetic skills to discern which players will leave early or transfer and which coaches will switch schools tho the latter is irrelevant for us.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 11 months ago

congratulations, your recruiting strategy is flawless.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 11 months ago

It's so much players being prophetic about who's going, but coaches telling these recruits who they expect to leave early. This year, we can pretty reasonably assume Diallo will be a OAD at this point based off of his comments and history. There's also a good enough chance of losing Selden or Svi that Self is likely planning on a 5 man class this year that can up to a 6 man class pretty easily based on the expected positions that have draft potential.

Scott Grimsley 4 years, 11 months ago

"We need to sign 10 Top 10 players or we are screwed" - Daily KUsports Troll (you know who you are)

Tom Jones 4 years, 11 months ago

and sign them all in 2015! We can't wait til the spring for any of them...

Shannon Gustafson 4 years, 11 months ago

But make sure they aren't OAD! We can't have Top 10 early signings that only intend to be here one year!

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 11 months ago

It's nice these two are visiting, but I'm not holding my breath on landing either player. KU has a pretty poor relationship with MoKan Elite and I don't recall KU ever signing a player off of MoKan Elite. Why KU has such a bad relationship with MoKan is something I don't know for sure, but I think Jaybate's shoe theory holds a lot of water here as they are a Nike sponsored program and all of their high profile recruits have gone to Nike schools.

That said, it would great if KU could break the trend with Trae Young. Landing him and Mitchell Ballock in 2017 would be a great haul for the two cornerstone pieces of the 2017 class.

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 11 months ago

It is a little strange. Both Willie Cauley-Stein and Semi Ojeleye played for MoKan. Kansas St (Nike) has signed 2 players. I hope to see Porter then Ballock break the trend and sign w/Kansas.

Ron Sterling 4 years, 11 months ago

Nothing strange about it. Self had some prior beef with the guys that used to run MoKan. I don't know if they're the same guys running MoKan today, or if fences have been mended, but we didn't even attempt to go after WCS, Ojeleye, or any other of MoKans top players in the past several years.

Marius Rowlanski 4 years, 11 months ago

Why didn't we go after Willie Cauley-Stein, Semi Ojeleye or any of the other 30 alumni who played NCAA DIVISION I basketball? It seems KU might want to go after some of the top area athletes.

What beef did Self have with any officials at MoKan Elite? He's offered scholarships to 3 players in the 2017 class already.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 11 months ago

Lovely Comments all! Got some real Mensa winners on here some days.

Proves my crystal clear points about a few folks on here though. Thanks for the help guys, it is always appreciated when you help me prove once again, that I was right about you all along.

Could not have done it without your help!

Danka

Michael Bratisax 4 years, 11 months ago

This is bullhorn censorship by hack writers.