Sunday, July 19, 2015

KU Football lands 2016 junior college D-tackle

Kansas University football recruiting.

Kansas University football recruiting.

Even though it won't do much to help this season, the Kansas University football program on Sunday took a step toward fixing one of its weakest and thinnest positions, when Snow College defensive tackle Manaia Perese orally committed to join the program.

Perese, a 6-foot-5, 281-pound three-star prospect according to Rivals.com, informed the KU coaching staff of his decision early Sunday morning. He picked KU over offers from Hawaii, Northern Illinois and Tulsa and also was receiving interest from Boise State.

In the end, Perese told JayhawkSlant.com's Jon Kirby that the commitment from the KU coaching staff made all the difference.

"(Co-defensive coordinator Kenny Perry) knew about me when I got to Snow," Perese said. "He convinced me to come out and take the visit. I didn't have any film but coach Perry and (defensive line) coach (Calvin) Thibodeaux watched me practice. They offered after they saw me in practice. I want to play for a coach like coach Thibodeaux. I knew this is the place for me.”

During the past several months, Perese made a couple of visits to the KU campus. During each trip he learned a little more about Lawrence and the history of the program. Both made a big impact on the defensive lineman, who will joins Snow teammate Joe Malanga (6-4, 300, OL) as the latest prospects from the Utah juco to join the Jayhawks.

Perese's addition brings the total number of orally committed players in the 2016 recruiting class to eight.

Comments

Dirk Medema 4 years, 4 months ago

This is fabulous! DT & OT are probably the 2 most important positions to recruit and have depth. We'll only have 2 upperclassmen next year. We need at least one upper and hopefully a couple good HS recruits. It would be great to see at least 1 of our RSF step up this year and already be a veteran next year (DJ Williams?).

Humpy Helsel 4 years, 4 months ago

One brick at a time to rebuild a sh*t house. We've seen about a 50% or less rate of success with JUCO players over the last several years. But with where the program is you have no choice but to try to find some diamonds in the rough out there. Maybe this group of coaches will take more time to vett these kids and bring up the success/graduation rate and have some success with some 2 year guys along the lines of K-State. Snow is one of the traditional JUCO powerhouses. Sounds like some good "gets" who have a shot.

Joe Ross 4 years, 4 months ago

My concern is whether or not a portion of these oral commits will honor their commitments and sign. If they do, they will certainly be a part of the building of a program and that bodes well for both the University and the players themselves.

Gary Denning 4 years, 4 months ago

Agree. A story linked to Phognet indicates he will not rule out making further visits, depending upon how things go. I know we are talking about young people who change their minds a lot, but I wish players would not commit until they are really ready to commit.

Dirk Medema 4 years, 4 months ago

So far, that is the HUGE difference between the JC recruits of the recently signed class, and the previous JC's. We are fortunate (hopefully?) with a couple (DE's) that arrived late enough to never get into the action, so they are now RS-Jr's.

Micky Baker 4 years, 4 months ago

One of the things I like about this guy is that Boise State was looking at him. It seems that Boise State recruits guys that commit to a system and to guys that are willing to do the work to be successful. He doesn't seem like one of the guys with character issues like some of the guys that could have really contributed the previous 2 or 3 seasons that never stepped foot on the field on game days due to being dismissed for team rules violations or just flat out didn't have the kind of work ethic necessary to be successful at this level.