Saturday, July 11, 2015

Lithuania goes cold in World University Games quarterfinal loss to U.S.

Kansas guard Wayne Selden Jr. (1) passes inside to Kansas forward Perry Ellis (34) who scored on the play in the first-half  of Team USA's quarter-final game against Lithuania Saturday, July 11, at the World University Games in Gwangju, South Korea.

Kansas guard Wayne Selden Jr. (1) passes inside to Kansas forward Perry Ellis (34) who scored on the play in the first-half of Team USA's quarter-final game against Lithuania Saturday, July 11, at the World University Games in Gwangju, South Korea.

— After averaging 86 points per game in pool play, Lithuania couldn’t get any offense going in a 70-48 loss to the United States men’s basketball team on Saturday at Dongkang College Gymnasium.

Lithuania shot 27 percent from the field (17-for-62), including 15 percent from three (4-for-27). It led the tournament in pool play with a 38-percent three-point percentage.

“They were just executing probably,” Lithuanian center Egidijus Mockevicius said of the U.S. defenders. “I’m just sad now. It hurts a lot. It happens.”

Lithuania trailed, 43-42, with 59 seconds remaining in the third quarter, but didn’t score another point until Paulius Dambrauskas banked in a shot with 4:42 left, trailing 58-44. Then Lithuania ran into another scoring drought, adding its next basket in the final 30 seconds. Lithuania was outscored in the fourth quarter, 25-6.

“We weren’t making open shots,” said Mockevicius, a senior at the University of Evansville who had two points and five rebounds in 18 minutes. “We were setting screens and did everything that we could, but we just weren’t making them. I bet it’s just a bad day or something. You can’t do anything about it.”

Mockevicius said Lithuania wasn’t bothered by the Jayhawks’ physicality, despite shooting 2-for-19 (11 percent) in the fourth quarter.

“I wouldn’t say it was something tough, but we knew they were going to come together and trap us," Mockevicius said. "We were trying to base our game on the three-point line because we have good shooters, but as I mentioned before, it wasn’t going in.”

More from USA-Lithuania

Comments

Rodney Crain 1 year, 9 months ago

Nice Game Landon. Am so glad Self keeps looking for the best out of someone instead of just giving away Lucas' minutes because he is struggling.

Here is to the "Good "Lucas.

Brianna, Brianna, Brianna, insert foot into mouth much? No need to reply we all know the answer. Looks like I was right once again. Find a way to get the most out of the player not just give up on them. And here I thought you were a fan of the team. Oh well.

I guess coach Self, the rest of his teammates and well Landon thought he deserved another try. Glad he made the most out of it. Sorry Bri, you were wrong again. Don't worry no one here is going to give away your posts just cause you were off on this topic. We all know you will do better.

Brianna Zaleski 1 year, 9 months ago

Rodney, Boy, you are a tool...

I don't ever remember saying that we should shut down LL and give up on him. Do you have an example? For the record, I am firmly in Mickelson's camp, but never suggested we quit on LL. Although, I hope his mins are lower than Micks once Diallo enters the fray. Someone's mins are going to be sacrificed. It doesn't surprise me that you would throw your lot in w the one player on our team who has an attitude problem from time to time and can act like a pouty child when things don't go his way. I can see how you would identify with that behavior. SMH... I'm happy for LL. I'm glad to see him respond, positively, to Coach Self lighting a fire under his backside.

Btw, Rodney, it's obvious that you read my post the other day regarding post play and positioning on the court, but you didn't have the courage to respond to that one. Why is that? Why is it that when someone tries to engage you in an intellectual debate, you remain silent, yet you come on here and try to incite insults and claim we never stick to the topics? Shannon blew you up the other day w a thoughtful argument about the realistic expectations of freshman, and your response was crickets. Yes, you claim that you are too busy to read every response to you on this site, but, I believe, the more accurate scenario is that you don't like to engage in conversation where you might be exposed. Someone might figure out how full of dung you really are, so you avoid altogether. Once again, similar to the actions of a child. Well, a teenager at least.

I still can't believe how someone who tries to appear to be so knowledgeable about hoops, isn't aware that post players are taught to use the court as a reference to where they are in relation to the basket. Time and time again last night I saw players, with their back to the basket, quickly spin and attempt a bank shot or something similar. But they didn't once turn and look at the basket before they did it. How could that be? How could they know where the hoop was before they turned to shoot? SMH again.

Btw, I don't expect a response from you, as that would require something other than an insult. It would require you to provide thoughtful retort, which we all know you are incapable of. You are only capable of passive aggressive comments and misrepresenting the facts. Once again, childs play. The jig is up Rod, how old are you really? 12? 13?

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 9 months ago

I for one have not been a fan of Lucas during this tournament, and there is no putting my foot in my mouth. He had a solid performance, but he is still way too inconsistent on being aggressive, and getting out of position to say we should cheer Lucas.

At this point I still like what I have seen from Mickelson better because he is showing leadership. Lucas looked worse and worse each game until last night so before we cheer on Lucas, let's see that he can be more consistent and aggressive. Let's also consider that when Diallo is able to play finally, how does Lucas handle losing minutes.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 9 months ago

If he decides to pout again his butt is on the bench and tell him to transfer.

RJ King 1 year, 9 months ago

Why do you assume he is pouting? How can any of us know what is going on in someone else's mind?

Landon has always had the demeanor of a fairly quiet, serious kid. The only comments I have seen from him have been thoughtful, mature, and team-oriented. Never whiny. I'm not necessarily defending Lucas. I'm suggesting we not assume to know what someone else is thinking or feeling.

Some guys just don't go around smiling all the time. See Frank Mason. But Frank brings energy and incredible athletic ability. Landon's energy seemed inconsistent, and he has less natural athletic ability. His skill level is there for us to see. What is in his head is not.

Bill Self perfectly stated what Lucas needs to bring - playing to his strengths, etc. Why does LL also have to smile, slap hands, chest bump, etc.? For him, maybe that would be phony. Maybe he is 100% focused on his performance and improvement.

If Lucas plays with great energy, and to his strengths, that's good enough for me. And I will cheer ANY player who does this.

Shannon Gustafson 1 year, 9 months ago

There is a difference between being a quiet player who is never overly excited (Perry Ellis is this way also) vs one who is doing the bare minimum to be where he's supposed to be on the floor as the ball rotates on both ends. If you watch the end of that Switzerland game, he was very clearly pouting. He actually got pulled and Hunter came back in the last couple minutes (though Self had already pulled all the starters and planned to finish the game with the walk-ons and the guys who hadn't played a whole lot in the game). It's pretty bad when you get pulled from "scrub" minutes for lack of effort.

Mark Lindrud 1 year, 9 months ago

I am rooting for the kid, but when the announcers even noticed it then it is hard to not wonder. I have coached, and you can tell by body language when a kid is really putting forth effort, has energy, angry, and even pouting.

I hope he plays hard, because as a red shirt junior, it is time to bring more than being good one night and disappearing the next; Oh and yes, sometimes smile and look like you enjoy what you are doing. I am not seeing much improvement from him, and I want him to prove me wrong. One game does not do it though.

Humpy Helsel 1 year, 9 months ago

I don't think it is either/or, but who is bringing energy and playing well today. Match ups, style of play, needs for the situation on the floor, foul trouble, and other factors. Neither Jamari, Hunter, or Landen are consistent. Each dog has had its day, and last night, it was Landen. Good for all of them and good for us. Fresh (or fresher) legs and depth in the post. Night in, night out, there really isn't any separation. You want minutes, bring it. When was the last time we had consistent, day in day out play from the post? Cole Aldrich? Even Markieff was at times inconsistent.

Man, I thought the referee stuff got a little loose last night. Call the chippy and ignore the hacks! As long as it is fair and consistent...play on. Come on guys...let's take down the The Bear. By the way, I think the best team I've seen so far, besides USA/KU, is Team Canada. I really don't want to play those guys, again.

RJ King 1 year, 9 months ago

The last time we had consistent, day in day out play from the post? Withey's senior year?

Humpy Helsel 1 year, 9 months ago

My bad! You are right. Withey certainly qualifies as consistent his Senior year. We miss that, but maybe we get it by committee.

Shannon Gustafson 1 year, 9 months ago

He actually struggled to be consistent game to game after TRob left. I remember Self saying TRob used to get in his face and get him fired up to compete. Once he was gone, it took a while to find someone else to get him to play mad consistently. He certainly played well much more than he played poor though so he was more consistent than Lucas or Traylor.