Saturday, July 4, 2015

KU football lands one of top cornerbacks in Oklahoma

Kansas University football recruiting

Kansas University football recruiting

The Kansas University football program has had some pretty decent success with cornerbacks from Oklahoma.

And first-year coach David Beaty and company are no doubt hoping that Class of 2016 target Kyle Mayberry, who Saturday orally committed to join the Jayhawks, will pan out even half as well as former KU cornerback Chris Harris, who hails from Bixby, Oklahoma.

Mayberry, 5-foot-11, 163 pounds from Booker T. Washington High in Tulsa, is the top-rated No. 2 cornerback in Oklahoma in his recruiting class. He announced his decision first on an Oklahoma radio station and then via social media, Tweeting, “It's official. #RockChalk Jayhawk,” just before 11 a.m. on Saturday.

Because Sooner State pride runs deep, Harris and Mayberry actually have known each other for a couple of years. Harris' mother, Lisa, used to work with Mayberry's grandmother, and Mayberry attended a football camp put on by Harris in his home state a year ago.

Mayberry consulted Harris, the current Denver Bronco and one of the top rated cornerbacks in the NFL, throughout his decision and the former Jayhawk sold the future Jayhawk on the fit and the fact that Lawrence was a great place to go to college.

Mayberry was in town last month for KU's elite Friday Night Lights camp and he told Jon Kirby of JayhawkSlant.com that he enjoyed working with several of KU's coaches.

“Being coached up by coach (Kenny) Perry (cornerbacks) and (defensive coordinator coach (Clint) Bowen, it felt normal,” Mayberry told Kirby. “I felt comfortable like I was with my high school coaches. I could relate to them. Coach Beaty talked to me, my mom and dad. They all told me how much they wanted me on the team.”

According to Rivals.com, Mayberry, who often goes by the nickname “Money,” chose Kansas over offers from Illinois, Kansas State, Houston, Washington State, Nevada, Utah State, Wyoming and several others.

He becomes the seventh player and second defensive back to commit to KU from the 2016 recruiting class.

Comments

Ryan Shelton 4 years, 5 months ago

Mayberry is the "top rated #2 cornerback in his recruiting class"?

Micky Baker 4 years, 5 months ago

He's the top CB for the class of 2016 in Oklahoma according to Rivals, maybe number 2 overall for all positions out of Oklahoma for 2016?

Kevin Studer 4 years, 5 months ago

He's a 2-Star cornerback. I don't think he's a top anything in Oklahoma.

Micky Baker 4 years, 5 months ago

I just stated what is said on Rivals with a question to try to clarify what was written in the article. Rivals says he is the top CB for the class of 2016 in Oklahoma.

David Lara 4 years, 5 months ago

I am curious to know how highly rated the top cb in ok is. Stars?

Dirk Medema 4 years, 5 months ago

He's not in the top 10 for OK, which is all Rivals lists for OK this year. Maybe an off year for them this year, because OK generally produces more top recruits that KS (also showing 10).

Dirk Medema 4 years, 5 months ago

From Hudl's page: He's got real good speed - 4.4, and 10.67 100 m He also has good open field moves, and led OK HS in PR yardage at better than 10 per. He also excelled against Will Sunderland (0 catches, 2? attempts) who is a 4* DB recruit at OU this year.

Looks like a really good FB player that is better than 2*, though I admittedly know very little about FB.

Dale Kroening 4 years, 5 months ago

Wasn't Talib a 2 star coming out of HS ? Not saying he will be like Talib , but recruiting is kinda like a crapshoot . Hopefully he can be coached up and make an impact either as a db , return guy , or special teams.

Humpy Helsel 4 years, 5 months ago

What do we expect guys? This is how it is going to be. Finding players others have overlooked, or don;t want or need, and hope they develop. Right now, it has to built from the bottom up. And I do mean bottom. It is the long road, but the better road if this group of coaches are as good as we hope and given time/support. The big question is will KU fans show up on Saturdays which helps with recruiting, or sit and wait on a winner and the basketball season to start?