Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Self saw a couple positives against OSU

Kansas guard Wayne Selden Jr. (1) celebrates a three pointer by Kansas guard Frank Mason III (0) during the second half, Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Just a sophomore, Wayne Selden Jr., is savvy enough to know that Kansas University’s basketball rematch against Oklahoma State on Feb. 7 in Stillwater could turn out differently than Tuesday’s 67-57 KU victory in Allen Fieldhouse.

“I don’t want to say too much because we’ve got to play him again, but really just chase him around,” Selden said, asked the secret to holding OSU sharpshooter Phil Forte III to four field goals in eight tries and just one three-pointer in two attempts. “Stay in his hip pocket,” Selden added.

The 5-foot-11 Forte finished with 18 points, but totaled just one basket in the second half of Tuesday’s contest.

“In the first half we gave him a lot of cheap fouls and technical fouls that got him to the line (where he went 9 of 9). I don’t think he got too many good shots the first half, either (six shots first half; two second). He found openings on the fast break. I feel the second half we didn’t give him too many touch fouls,” Selden stated.

Overall, the Jayhawks held OSU to 31.4 percent shooting. KU outrebounded the Pokes, 43-26.

“There are two areas we played really well — our field-goal percentage defense was great and rebounding was great. That’s a pretty dominant effort on the glass,” KU coach Bill Self said. “For them to miss 35 shots and only get four back (four offensive rebounds to KU’s 10), that is good. That’s a positive.

“Fortunately for us they missed some open looks. I mean, they go 3-for-16 from three (to KU’s three of 12). They didn’t get a ton of open ones, but of the 16 there could have been seven or eight that were fairly unguarded. We got lucky some. I thought our scouting report defense ... we did a good job. With the exception of Le’Bryan (Nash, 19 points second half) a couple times off cross screens, I thought we did a good job of playing to scouting report.”

KU on Wednesday ranked first in Big 12 Conference games only in scoring defense (55.3 ppg), field-goal percentage defense (32.7) and rebounding margin (plus 6). The Jayhawks also ranked second in blocked shots and steals in league games only.

Forte hobbled: The Oklahoman reported that Forte suffered from leg cramps on Tuesday.

“Usually I take a lot of pride in being the best-conditioned player on the court. So I don’t use that as an excuse. I don’t really see what was different. I just try to go out there and play hard every game,” Forte told the Oklahoman.

“Second half, I don’t know, my hamstring just kept tightening up. So I just need to continue to take care of my body — ice it, eat right, get the right rest. At this point, that’s even more important than getting shots up and working on your jumper in practice.”

Pickens’ pick: OSU booster T. Boone Pickens said on Twitter before the game, as reported by the Oklahoman: “I think my Cowboys will win. We’ve got Bill Self’s number. #AskBoone.”

Self is 13-6 vs. OSU as KU coach. The Jayhawks have won eight of the past 10 contests.

Wooden snub: Despite a 14-2 record, KU has no players included on the 2014-15 John R. Wooden Award Midseason Top 25 list. Big 12 players on the list: Buddy Hield, Oklahoma; Georges Niang, Iowa State and Juwan Staten, West Virginia. Cliff Alexander, Kelly Oubre Jr., Perry Ellis and Wayne Selden Jr., were on the preseason Top 50 list.

Tops in RPI: KU on Wednesday was listed No. 1 in ESPN’s RPI Index. Yes, the Jayhawks, thanks in part to a No. 1 strength of schedule, had an index of .7217, a bit better than Kentucky’s .7205. Virginia was third at .7153. The second Big 12 school listed was West Virginia at No. 14.

Ellis struggling: Perry Ellis scored seven points off 1-of-8 shooting with five turnovers, eight rebounds, three steals and two blocks in 28 minutes. He’s scored in single digits in four of the last seven games and two of three Big 12 games.

“I don’t know if I am going to say turnovers are the reason he’s laboring a little bit. I think he’s basically just laboring some,” Self said. “We played through him quite a bit. He wasn’t aggressive. He made one great move the first half, a powerful, explosive move that may even have been on (Michael) Cobbins. He was not aggressive like he normally is. If you are aggressive you catch the ball with two hands, just things like that. It would be nice to get he and Wayne playing offensively like they are capable of because that changes our team overnight to being a much harder team to defend. We still won. Perry was able to do some things. He rebounded well, got eight boards, a couple key blocks. He found some ways to help us when offensively obviously he was struggling,” Self added.

Wiggins to dunk?: Hoops Hype Canada tweeted that former KU guard Andrew Wiggins of the Minnesota Timberwolves will participate in the 2015 NBA All-Star Slam Dunk Competiiton on Feb. 14 in New York. The Website cited Wiggins’ dad as the source of the information.

The Toronto Globe and Mail’s Cathal Kelly, by the way, in a recent column says the Toronto Raptors “have their sights set directly on him (Wiggins) once he becomes an unrestricted free agent, as early as 2021. ... Wiggins is the key target. He also seems to be the guy who feels the biggest pull toward home. During last year’s post-season run, while he was still attending the University of Kansas, Wiggins had to be talked out of coming to a game at the Air Canada Centre in Raptors gear.”

Comments

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

I re-watched the OSU game and was super impressed with how well prepared the Hawks were for this game. For the most part, our guys, especially Graham, shut down Forte! On several occasions we completely took away from Forte moving across ball screens, unless we went OB, and gave him the left handed drive into our interior defense where he had troubles shooting the ball.

Although Lucas mishandled a few balls that should have been easy scores, he played a disciplined and smart game. The guy is a heady player and Self must have wanted Alexander to watch how he played.

In a few more games, the Wooden Watch Committee may regret leaving Oubre and Alexander off the list. Alexander's dunk featured his athletic ability and will probably be shown long after he leaves Kansas! This team is starting to get it. They are so close to being great. Mason and Graham are rock solid. Very soon, hopefully this Saturday, KO, Ellis, and Selden are going to pull everything together to leave the rest of the Big 12 choking on their exhaust fumes.

It's going to be interesting to see what Self does with the BG/Svi rotation. Self probably is not overly excited about the very public showing of Greene's immaturity. Last year after the Duke game when Greene did't receive the PT he thought he earned, he went around slamming all sorts of doors after practice. As a result, we did not see Greene for a couple of games. Then there is Mykailiuk, who didn't get any playing time and whose parents traveled half was around the world to watch him. Instead of holding a personal Pity Party like Greene, Mykailiuk was supporting his teammates.

........

Cleveland spent so many years suffering from MJ. Then they have a chance to add a guy who has a similar skill set...and they blow it. Hey Cleveland...Are you Loving that Wiggins trade?

........

I'd like the LJW to interview some of the people on the NCAA selection and discuss RPI vs BPI/Kenpom. As things stand now, would Kansas be a 1 seed, as per RPI...or a 3 seed as per BPI/Kenpom?

Tom Longhofer 4 years, 5 months ago

I would have thought Svi could have got more minutes in the Baylor blowout anyway. I think Bill Self is an excellent coach, maybe better than Roy Williams, but I think Williams intentionally would have played Svi in games which his parents came to see.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 5 months ago

KU blew out Baylor? I was at that game and I remember Baylor leading most of the game and KU winning by one.

Walter Bridges 4 years, 5 months ago

Wasn't at the game but even from over 1200 miles I could see the game wasn't a blowout in any known definition of the word.

Enjoyed the post Suzi...

Adam Collins 4 years, 5 months ago

What did Greene do in this game that was immature? I didn't see it...

Kent Wells 4 years, 5 months ago

I don't think the assertion was being made that Greene was immature a couple of days ago. I think the point was made that he was immature last year and in the same situation, Svi was pretty poised and part of the team (when considering he was a starter a month ago).

I think the primary issue with playing time in this game for either can be attributed:

1. Svi isn't ready for the old Big 8 style of hoops. That was a tough game.
  2. Greene is allergic to defense and defense won that game.

Arthur Ankeney 4 years, 5 months ago

How can you say Svi isn't ready for tough play? In what I have seen, the man plays with just as much or more heart and hustle than about everybody else. He's shown great ability to play on ball defense and has a knack for finding the ball. What makes you say he isn't ready for a tough game? And BG is? And Ellis is? There's no way you can tell me they play tougher than Svi.

Kent Wells 4 years, 5 months ago

Wow, you read a lot into that. I reread my post and I never made any reference to Ellis. And my reference to Greene was defense. And his defense sucks. I made no reference to his toughness. As for a 17 year old kid, no, he isn't ready for that kind of game. If he were, I'm thinking we would have seen his tail end on the court Art.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

Greene was acting up on the bench. He remained seated during timeouts, didn't cheer teammates on the court, said something to Tyler Self and Howard (I think) jumped all over him.

His temper tantrum could be seen by everyone in AFH but not on TV. I have never seen anything like it.

Walter Bridges 4 years, 5 months ago

Kent, if you haven't seen the upward swing of Greene's defensive play, you haven't been watching. It hasn't shown up in the stats yet but it's there nonetheless.

Also, when was the Big 8 as tough as the current top to bottom play of the Big 12? I sat there through the Allen, Norm and Hartman games of the late 70s early 80s and they WERE physical but it dropped off after that.

Kent Wells 4 years, 5 months ago

Nowhere to go but up. And 2 times zero is still zero. I'm sure he is being coached up. If he's playing at the end, he's playing defense. He played 3 minutes last game. I would not consider that an upward swing. So, yeah, nothing is showing up on the stat sheet.

Not tough as in competitive Tough as in PHYSICAL. As in those games with OSU when Paul Hanson, Leonard Hamilton (maybe not his 8-20 team), and Eddie Sutton when there were 4 near fights (and I recall at least 1 really good one) each game. And top to bottom, the Xii is pretty competitive this year. More than the Big 8 ever was. But that has to do more with this lousy one and done era and how it is destroying overall skills and the quality of the game.

Tom Jones 4 years, 5 months ago

Svi got 14 minutes against TT in front of the folks. OSU just wasn't a good matchup for him.

His time is coming.

Personally, I'm glad Self doesn't distribute playing time based on whose parents are in attendance, no matter how far they traveled.

What's become clear is that, with Graham firmly back in the mix, Kansas is a dangerous team. No superstars but tremendous depth and now enough quickness on the perimeter and in transition to make hay.

The downside is for Greene and Svi's playing time, unfortunately for them. Greene didn't go after a rebound and then jacked up a three with 20 seconds on the shot clock and no one inside to rebound. That's just not how you stay on the floor in a game the coach knows is going to be tight and every possession looms larger. I haven't seen any visual evidence of his "pouting" on the bench, but have heard it from several folks who were there. He definitely has some maturity issues.

I'm not worried about he or Svi, though. They'll get more playing time in the easier games and I imagine they'll both play key roles in a couple of big games before the conference season's done.

Kent Wells 4 years, 5 months ago

Normally I don't read posts that approach the length of the articles. I'm glad I read this one. Well said, Ms. Suzi.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

Neither do I and could never read all of the Jaybate post.

I much prefer the comments that can be read with a glance.

Benz Junque 4 years, 5 months ago

People raving about Wiggins going for 20 and 4.5 rebounds a game in his last 11 are ignoring that Love has gone for 20 and 10.5 in his last 11.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

Wiggins is just now learning how to play. His upside remains immense. Love, who has been around awhile, is probably playing at the top of his game.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

ESPN's Joe Lunardi somewhat addressed the issue of RPI vs Rankings in todays Bacteriology Blind analysis. http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/

Jerry Walker 4 years, 5 months ago

Good question on the rankings. On Tuesday, our old friend Jesse Newell at the CJ, had Pomeroy run 10k simulations on his computer model and predicted KU had a 30% chance of winning the conference...fair enough.

But it also had Texas with just a 2% chance...and even stranger it predicted that OSU was 6times more likely to win the conference than Texas.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 5 months ago

thanks for sharing! I was curious why KSU had such bad odds, then I looked at their schedule and 12 of their 14 remaining games before the Big 12 Tourney are against teams currently ranked in the AP top 25.

I doubt that OSU will stay ranked. I don't think they're that good. But Baylor beating ISU should keep Baylor around in the rankings for a couple more weeks.

I'm surprised that Oklahoma performs so well in the simulations after their loss to KSU, though the simulations were run before OU lost to WVU. Kansas should be #1 now as the lone unbeaten team.

Joe Joseph 4 years, 5 months ago

Further proving that stats, such as those, can be completely silly.

Adam Bengtson 4 years, 5 months ago

I think T. Boone meant he has Bill Self's phone number. I'm sure that was the clarification.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 5 months ago

Pickens thought that he had Bill Self's number in 2008. But Bill prefered what Kansas was offering.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

Pickens' and Self know each other fairly well. It's probably a fairly safe bet to assume he was using a play on words to tease Self. I'm sure both have each others' (phone) number.

Glen Miller 4 years, 5 months ago

A couple of comments for me....

1. How Frank mason is NOT on the Wooden watch list is beyond me. I shudder to think what our record is without that guy. I'm not saying he is the best player in basketball, but tell me a player who is more of an MVP for his team (a team that matters) and plays 40 minutes a game all while guarding the point.

2. Greene is looking more and more like a transfer. The kid can shoot, but he's immature and doesn't seem to care about defense. He sounds like he's growing wary of his playing time and I don't see that improving next year. I hate to see his shot go, but if it's him or Svi... wish you the best of luck Greene!

3. Lucas may not be flashy or a top talent, but the guy gives solid minutes when he's in the game typically. I like when he's in the game with Mari or Alexander instead of Ellis. I also think Mari and Alexander are starting to build chemistry like Tarik and Mari did. It would be great if those two could incite the energy and passing chemistry that Tarik and Mari had.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree with you about Frank. It's apparent that people don't know what to do with Kansas because all of the preseason noise was about the Big 4 of Ellis, Selden, Alexander, Oubre. Yet so far this season Mason is the best player on the team. If Selden were playing as well as Mason is, then Selden would be on the shorter list of frontrunners. But as the conference season settles in the lists can change.

Tyshawn Taylor was added as a finalist for the Top PG award when he was not on the midseason watchlist. So if Mason continues to impress, then he'll get credit later. He may never get the credit that he's due unless he starts to collect some player of the week hardware and MOP trophies though. He's one of the most underrated players in the country for sure.

Jonathan Allison 4 years, 5 months ago

Lucas is very steady. He seems to have problems though when he's not got a size advantage like he did against OSU. It can be easy to forget though that he's just a sophomore.

We get on this forum so many times and talk the weaknesses of the players on the roster. We talk about how they'll never be able to do this or how they'll never be good at that, and we speculate that they'll be moved out to make room for a top recruit. But when Bill Self redshirted Lucas it was because Self knows that Lucas will develop his game and get better with age and will be most valuable to the team when he's a 23 y/o Sr. Lucas has good fundamentals and a good frame to play PF/C in the Big 12. He'll develop the finesse and the post-moves, and the footwork, and he'll be a solid player for us beyond this season.

Walter Bridges 4 years, 5 months ago

I am not enamored with the play of Lucas but at least he gives his all. Ellis is a different story. He seems to regress game by game. If Alexander stays, Bragg should be starting by Conference play and Ellis can sit and watch.

Taylor and Alexander are starting to play like last years duo of Black and Taylor. Time for that to be the starting line-up imo.

Mike Riches 4 years, 5 months ago

Someone commented the other day that it may be advantageous for Alexander to keep coming off the bench. He provides a nice lift when he comes in, plus it gives him a chance to get a feel for the game before jumping in, which may help him stay out of foul trouble. I think there is some wisdom in that (at least for right now) so I don't know about those two (Cliff and Jamari) starting together, but I definitely think they should be playing starters' minutes, and playing when it matters most.

Bryce Landon 4 years, 5 months ago

Pickens is an even bigger @$$hole than Marcus Stupid, and that's saying a lot consideringthe kind of person Marcus Stupid was.

Robert Brock 4 years, 5 months ago

Maybe the plunging oil markets will help Uncle Boone lose a few hundred million bucks. Karma.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 5 months ago

I hope not because I also work in the oil and gas industry and I worry every day about my job right now.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

I am also in the industry and my job was eliminated Dec. 31. It's going to be a rough couple of years.

Bernard Gregory 4 years, 5 months ago

Frank has always been looked over as I posted in a earlier post. I remember his high school coach debating with ranking folks about his low rankings. He was the best player on his AUU team but yet another kid was placed on the McDonald's team.He clearly was the best player in the State of Virginia but Barber was voted player of the year but through it all his main priority is to do whatever it takes to try and win games. I remember how disappointed many were that Kansas ended up with Frank instead of Barber or the kid who went to Maryland. I still maintain that he still hasn't hit his ceiling.

Mike Riches 4 years, 5 months ago

If you didn't catch the Baylor/ISU game last night, it was a good one. It was interesting Baylor won by one point exactly one week after they lost by one point to us. Similar play at the end of the game too, although ISU at least got a shot off. KU now stands alone atop the Big 12 standings! I'm so excited for Saturday's game. It will be one of the toughest games we play all season, but we've seen some pretty awesome things the past 2-3 years when we play in Ames. I'm hoping that trend continues...

Erich Hartmann 4 years, 5 months ago

Just hate to see these reports of Greene's (off-camera) behavior. Sorry to say, if he isnt part of the Family (FOE), than he is gone.

I put this under another thread, but like Suzi, I re-watched the OkieSt game, and honestly Perry Ellis hustled pretty hard, other when it came to shot attempt aggression. The early t.o.'s were puzzling, but one was a post-up feed that went by him that his center-of-balance may have not allowed him to go receive the pass...

And from the announcers' comments about Self going around to ea. player in warmups and quizzing them on their roles+assignments, simply tells us how intensely Self takes these games. There simply is NO room for Brannen Greene to mentally freelance as he wants to. He is the classic example of a kid that wants to shoot a poor shot-selection attempt, but thinks its "ok" if he makes the bucket. Nobody shoots 100%, not even Ray Allen, and what Greene doesnt get, is that after a string of early-possession low%shot bricks, thats too many possessions given away in an every-possession-counts type of game. Thus not going for 1 rebound, & chucking up a missed 3 is simply going to clash with Self's own mental intensity about such a game. This was not the relaxed cupcake or TxTech type of framework that Self was using. Every possession critical.

If BGreene entertains transferring, it would be a sad, sad occurrence all brought on by his own mis-understanding of Bill Self's specific gameplanning. He needs to Pay Heed.

As counterpoint, consider the offensive woes of Wayne Selden. But defensively he is simply and very consistently hustling his a$$ off. Just how key were his 2 swats at the rim, along with his monstrous size dogging Phil Forte all over the gym? If Forte hit 1 trey, and those 2 100% OSU layups werent blocked, KU is trailing in the final minutes. But if you look at Selden's points total, that doesnt tell the story of the game. And that's what Greene doesnt get. Oubre gets it, as he is making things happen defensively. Note to BGreene: You play for Bill Self. It begins with defense, which is what Oubre and Selden are doing, which you are not doing. Nobody is talking about scoring. Everybody on this roster can score. That's not the point.

Erich Hartmann 4 years, 5 months ago

Regarding the nationwide low scoring...Oh? Who cares really, and why does it matter? Im with Self: why change the rules, just because kids cannot play at the level of past year's execution of plays. The plays havent changed. The athleticism has NOT changed, and has likely increased nationwide. Back with the "old" rules, didnt Roy teams avg high scoring averages? Didnt past Self teams have high scoring averages?

It just kills me that we want to dumb it down for the current players? So just how dumb are these kids? Self nor Krzyzewski nor Roy nor their playbooks have changed (other than getting smaller and smaller!), so why change the standards and integrity of the game itself? I mean do I really care if a score is in the 50's vs the 90's? No. Each game takes on its own flavor depending on how a team is shooting and how a team is defending, now add what the opponent is doing on both ends, and you get basketball game.

I'm with Self: Leave the Rules alone! Make the kids play better basketball instead...how about that! This isnt the NBA where the paying arena attendees want to see the stars, and watch them go for 20+ (so you give 'em 6 fouls, keep em in the game...). Its not the Women's game either with a 30sec shot clock, where the ability to score and the athleticism simply exists on a different level than in the Men's game.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 5 months ago

Those are some really good observations and comments.

You can include Self's comments how quality of play has deteriorated because so many kids move on after two years. It's hardest on the coaches that are the best teachers (Self, Izzo, K, Donovan...)because learning to play takes time..