Monday, January 12, 2015

Jayhawks go wild over Garrett’s goal

Kansas guard Devonte Graham (4) ducks under a leaping Kansas guard Wayne Selden Jr. after a bucket by reserve Christian Garrett during the second half on Saturday, Jan.10, 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Wayne Selden leaped high into the air on the Kansas University basketball bench, teammate Devonté Graham breaking his fall on the way down as both Jayhawks joined a wild celebration after senior Christian Garrett scored the first basket of his college career with 1:56 left in Saturday’s 86-54 rout of Texas Tech in Allen Fieldhouse.

Also, Jamari Traylor jumped up and down while pumping his right fist, Hunter Mickelson and Cliff Alexander waved towels wildly, Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk and Kelly Oubre Jr. screamed and Brannen Greene and Perry Ellis pranced about with smiles on their faces in recognition of the 6-foot-3, 185-pounder’s drive through the lane and floater that drew nothing but net.

“Coach told us to run normal ball-screen offense, but he definitely had everybody open the lane up so I could drive it and score,” said Garrett, who breezed by two Red Raiders after accepting a pass up top from fellow walk-on Josh Pollard.

“Coach always wants us to play hard no matter what, even if it’s the last minutes of the game. I’m obviously thankful I was able to get some room, make a move and drive,” Garrett added.

Further explaining the play, Garrett said: “Crossover dribble, make a left-handed layup. (It was) nothing special. It’s hard to get in there (lane) at the end of the game. It wasn’t like I was going to do anything special, just make a layup.”

Garrett said he hadn’t dwelled on the fact he had yet to score in a regular-season game as a Jayhawk. He did score two points against Fort Hays State in exhibition action his junior year.

“I don’t really even think about it,” Garrett said of being blanked until Saturday. “It’s actually funny. You can take it what it is ... Me and Perry (Ellis) pray before every game. Last night we both prayed before the Lord, (and God was) saying he is going to play good, and I was going to score. With those kind of things, you wait and see it play out.

“It happened, so we both looked at each other and kind of smiled. It was cool,” Garrett added after Ellis’ 15-point effort in the win over the Red Raiders.

Garrett further explained on Twitter after the game: “Whether you believe it or not lol doesn’t really matter. Me and @PElliz (Ellis) prayed before game last night and God told me I was gonna score. So all glory to God and thanks for the love u guys. Something small u make huge and from the coaches to teammates to fans..u guys r special.”

Garrett, who averaged 14.0 points, 7.0 assists and 6.3 rebounds his senior year at IMG Academy in Florida, also had an assist Saturday on a late three by Evan Manning.

“I love it when Evan and Tyler (Self) and all of them (scout team members) score because they work hard in practice. Sometimes they even bust us in practice,” freshman guard Graham said. “It’s good to see them out there and make shots.”

“Like Devonté said, they work very hard in practice. It feels good to see them out there making shots,” noted freshman forward Alexander.

For a shot of Garrett’s first basket as a Jayhawk and ensuing bench reaction, go to http://ljw.bz/1y1BKjg

Black’s big game: Garrett scored his first points several hours after his good buddy, Tarik Black, had a breakout game for the Los Angeles Lakers. Former KU power forward Black scored 14 points off 4-of-4 shooting (6-for-7 from the line) and grabbed nine rebounds in just 17 minutes of action of the Lakers’ 101-84 win over Orlando on Friday night.

Black sought out Lakers’ coach Byron Scott and thanked him for the playing time after the game.

“As soon as I walked through the door (after getting traded from Houston to L.A.), coach shook my hand and told me that as long as I work hard, I’ll be all right out here. Usually coaches don’t even really talk to us like that unless you’re their franchise player or their top draft pick,” Black told the Los Angeles Times. “Undrafted guys? They don’t give you the time of day. Coaches here have shown me love from day one.”

Of Black’s performance, L.A. guard Nick Young told espn.com: “He was an animal out there.”

Guard Jeremy Lin added: “That was awesome, man. Awesome.”

Scott noted: “He’s picked up everything extremely well and extremely fast. That’s why in the second half I didn’t hesitate to put him in.”

ESPN noted that Black doesn’t have a nameplate above his locker. The 6-11, 267-pounder doesn’t worry about such trivial matters.

“God brought me this far and I don’t think he brought me this far to fail,” Black told espn.com. “It was a blessing to play in Houston. I’m very grateful to that organization. No bad blood at all. It’s a business decision. I knew what happened. It took place and it was onto the next phase and the next thing to come and it was the blessing of coming here.”

Reporters in L.A., by the way, like the ones in Kansas, have picked up on the fact Black shakes the hand of media members and says, “Thank you for the opportunity,” after every interview. To see an interview after the Orlando game go to http://ljw.bz/1BRZcjW

Pokes visit Tuesday: KU (13-2, 2-0) will meet Oklahoma State at 6 p.m. Tuesday in Allen Fieldhouse. The Cowboys (12-3, 2-1) defeated Texas, 69-58, on Saturday, in Stillwater, Oklahoma. OSU also has beaten Kansas State at home (61-47) and lost at Iowa State (63-61). In the nonconference season, OSU lost to Maryland (73-64) and South Carolina (75-49) and beat Memphis (73-55) and Missouri (74-72, OT).

Bragg pots 31: Future KU forward Carlton Bragg tied a career high with 31 points in Cleveland Villa Angela-St. Joseph High’s 72-59 win over Mentor on Saturday night. It was the 6-foot-9 Bragg’s first game since offering an oral commitment to KU. Bragg, by the way, might be 6-10 by the time he’s a Jayhawk. He’s listed as 6-10 by his high school and Cleveland media, 6-9, 225 by the recruiting services.

Doyle a Rambler: Yes, that was former KU guard Milton Doyle playing against Wichita State on Sunday. Doyle, a 6-4, 185-pounder from Chicago’s Marshall High, scored eight points off 3-of-8 shooting with three assists, two turnovers and a steal in Loyola of Chicago’s 67-53 home loss to the Shockers.

For the year, the combo guard averages 12.4 points off 50.8 percent shooting (23-of-47 from three, 48.9 percent). He has 59 assists, 48 turnovers. The Ramblers are 12-4, 2-2.

Comments

Mike Riches 4 years, 9 months ago

Sorry for the off-topic post, but has anyone noticed the Big 12 commercial featuring the 10 basketball coaches? I saw it for the first time during the Tech game, the theme is "One True Champion". I understand that might stem from the fallout of the Big 12 being left out of the football playoff, but doesn't it seem weird that Big 12 basketball would be promoting that theme? If there's a tie in basketball, we have co-champions, or at least that's how it's been in the past...has something changed?

Nathan Scholl 4 years, 9 months ago

That commercial has been airing since last season Mike. Albeit, it does seem ironic that they are playing the commercial in the wake of the first college football playoff and the subsequent snub for the Big Twelve programs, but the point of the commercials for BASKETBALL (which is what the focus is), is that all 10 teams play each other twice in the Big Twelve in the conference season. Other larger "super conferences" if you will, don't play each team twice in a conference regular season (nor do they in Big Twelve football.....). So....... every basketball program in the Big Twelve has a chance to be a "true champion" because they are able to play each team TWICE. See? Each team has the ability to get revenge and even their record by playing the other team on their home court AND away. 10 teams, 18 games. Not all conferences can say that. One TRUE champion. To win the Big Twelve, your team has to play every other team TWICE. Rock Chalk.

Nathan Scholl 4 years, 9 months ago

Or yeah, two true champions if they tie. LOL. Good point.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 9 months ago

There is this thing called the Big 12 tournament that's typically played the second weekend in March. That has one true champion.

Mike Riches 4 years, 9 months ago

If you watch the commercial, they are definitely not talking about the Big 12 tournament.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 9 months ago

The commercial was originally made for football because every other sport has an end of season tournament to determine a champion.

Mike Riches 4 years, 9 months ago

Sorry Aaron, I don't think we are on the same page. The commercial I'm referring to wasn't made for football, as it features all the Big 12 basketball coaches. They talk about how in the Big 12, you play every other team twice, so that one true champion emerges. It's just weird considering in the Big 12, if two or more teams have identical records at the top, they are all conference co-champions. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed an announcement that they were going to start using tie-breakers to determine a regular season champ. It appears that's not the case, and it's just a weird commercial.

Nathan Scholl 4 years, 9 months ago

I love EVERYTHING about this article. From Christian crediting God for he and Perry's performances to the class act that Tarik Black is in Los Angeles. I lived in L.A. for seven years, it's no small miracle that the media is in-tune with his above average character and skill-set to boot. The young man takes every opportunity and excels with intelligence and class. Couldn't be more proud of these two young men as a part of Rock Chalk Nation. Keep making us proud fellas. Rock Chalk.

Steve Zimmerman 4 years, 9 months ago

Amen, brother! That's pretty strong faith by Christian and Perry.

I am really happy for Black. If he keeps rebounding and finishing strong, plus his energy and positive attitude, I dont' see why Scott would not hand him a nameplate. Plus, his faith will bring light to him.

Dr. Robert s. Mosser 4 years, 9 months ago

to win the conference you need toi win all the home games. plus some road games texas, Oklahoma and Baylor have already lost one at home ! Helping Kansas already!

Joe Joseph 4 years, 9 months ago

I feel like I have asked this question before, but...... When did Tarik Black become 6'11?

Allison Steen 4 years, 9 months ago

Are there not growth spurts at 23 years old? :)

Ron Sterling 4 years, 9 months ago

He was still 6'9" when he was measured by Orlando (could be another team). No, 23 year olds usually don't grow unless they have a pituitary problem, and such a condition would be fatal. NBA teams just lie about player height. College teams do it too (KU included).

Allison Steen 4 years, 9 months ago

Should've used my sarcastic font. I was kidding.

Ron Sterling 4 years, 9 months ago

Reverse Italics? I know you were joking, but I just wanted to mention it. Call me pedantic.

Mick Allen 4 years, 9 months ago

Maybe Christian should pray that we win the rest of our games and the national championship.

Christian should pray that we win the rest of our games and the national title. If he had prayed earlier and harder he might not have had to wait this long to score his first basket in 8 years. Come on.

James Miller 4 years, 9 months ago

Don't doubt the power to move mountains!

Mick Allen 4 years, 9 months ago

T. Tech obviously didn't pray hard enough.

Lance Cheney 4 years, 9 months ago

Come on, man. Don't be turning this into some stupid religious debate. Take that crap to the non-sports columns.

Ron Sterling 4 years, 9 months ago

Mick, I'm an atheist myself, but really? Christian and Perry having praying before games doesn't hurt you or anyone else. Live and let live, right?

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 9 months ago

I draw the tolerance line when people go around killing others that do not share the same religious belief.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 9 months ago

When it comes to God and KU Basketball, I take heart in the the words of Mother Teresa -

“I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much.”

Gerry Butler 4 years, 9 months ago

Hey Mick spot on there buddy, you keep making your moronic remarks totally classless on your part like Lance says take your idiot remarks someone else. will say this I do feel sorry for you but its ok, things will work out hope you take care and some day you'll realize but ya like Lance says take that crap somewhere else just show a total dis-respect to somebody's belief, religion. your a non believer THATS ON YOU but to dis-respect Christian,Perry total lack of class

Mick Allen 4 years, 9 months ago

Thanks all for the vitriolic comments. Bless you all.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 9 months ago

Why are you getting fussy when people take the same tone towards you when you did with Christian and Perry's beliefs?

Also, why the disrespect in the first place of their beliefs? Mocking those who believe in God and Jesus isn't the way to make Christians willing to listen to your beliefs and why you have those beliefs. That's not exclusive to just religious matters either, but to the rest of your opinions as well.

Rodney Crain 4 years, 9 months ago

I was wondering why so many posts on this article, I get it now...............

Mick Allen 4 years, 9 months ago

Aaron What other "disrespect" have I shown in my opinions? My standing up for Mason last fall when few thought he would ever contribute to our program? My comment today was inappropriate and I acknowledge same. Please educate me Aaron, what other opinion have I given that you believe to be disrespectful, if you can.

Suzi Marshall 4 years, 9 months ago

You and Self had an unshakable belief Mason could become The Man to lead us through the valley of darkness.

I now pray for forgiveness for being a doubting Thomas.

Aaron Paisley 4 years, 9 months ago

I wasn't referring to any specific opinion of yours, just a generality with that statement because that's how my mind thinks. If you want to better understand why Christians believe in God, I would recommend to you to study Christian Apologetics which is the study of why Christians believe the bible to be true. You don't have to believe what it says, but it makes it much easier for people to have an intelligent discussion about religion and atheism if you know what the other side actually believes and why. There's plenty of misconceptions about Christianity and atheism out there because a lot of people aren't willing to learn why the other side believes what they do.

Bryce Landon 4 years, 9 months ago

The reason Tarik Black is being given star treatment despite being an undrafted free agent probably is because the lousy Lakers are desperate for anyone who they think can turn their franchise around.

Tom Richmond 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm happy Ellis has God on his side because he's going to need him big time for our road games.

Brian Skelly 4 years, 9 months ago

Tarik Black is a good story, so the press will eat it up. And they should. That said, he's a kid of high character, and it wouldnt be surprising to see this guy have an impact on folks well beyond the court. Good to see him thriving though. Hopefully he can play well enough to get a guaranteed contract next year.

Michael Lorraine 4 years, 9 months ago

I mean no disrespect to anyone’s faith but the world is full of war, famine and disease. If your god is watching over something as trivial as basketball he/she needs to do a better job of prioritizing.

Tony Bandle 4 years, 9 months ago

KU Basketball is Religion and God is a Jayhawk and Allen Fieldhouse is His Cathedral!!!!

Well...maybe that's a tad bit over the top, I guess.

Any being that created the platypus and brussel sprouts HAS to have one heck of a sense of humor!!!

Maybe we should try to do the same.

Brianna Zaleski 4 years, 9 months ago

Michael,

Yeah, no disrespect intended, I'm sure... You make the misteak of seeing God as a person capable of only human types of things. Such as paying attn to one thing (game) while there are these other things to be attended to. Those are human problems. My God is an all knowing, all powerful God who is capable of all things. So it would certainly be possible to attend to all ppls prayers...

Michael Lorraine 4 years, 9 months ago

I'm sorry Brianna but that was not my point at all. Once again, my apologies.