Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Another Cal assistant joining Beaty’s KU football staff

Zach Yenser follows new OC Rob Likens to KU as O-Line coach/run-game coordinator

A source with knowledge of the rest of the Kansas University football coaching staff told The Journal-World on Tuesday night that Cal assistant coach Zach Yenser would join Beaty's staff as the offensive line coach and run game coordinator.

Cal coach Sonny Dykes later confirmed the news via a statement given to Cal's Rivals.com site.

Yenser, 30, spent the past two seasons at Cal working alongside new KU offensive coordinator Rob Likens, who was identified Monday night as KU's new OC. Beaty confirmed the Likens hire on Tuesday evening.

Prior to his time at Cal, Yenser worked with the O-Line at Louisiana Tech from 2010-12 and spent the 2008 season at Henderson State. A native of Marietta, Georgia, Yenser was a four-year starter at Troy before graduating in 2007. After his playing days were finished, Yenser began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at his alma mater, where he worked with the Trojans' offensive line and special teams.

Beaty picking up two young and energetic assistant coaches from a program that finished the 2014 season sixth in the nation in total offense is a huge move forward for an offense that has struggled since the departure of former KU coach Mark Mangino and dynamic quarterback Todd Reesing.

Sources said that Yenser and Likens have a fantastic relationship and work extremely well together, using passion, contagious energy and lofty expectations to shape and motivate their offenses. Both come to KU well versed in the famed Air Raid offense, and, while Beaty and the rest of the offensive coaching staff figure to add their own wrinkles to the system, KU fans can expect to see the return of high-flying, fast-paced, exciting offensive football to Memorial Stadium.

Although undoubtedly sad to see them go, third-year Cal coach Dykes released a statement about the departure of two of his top offensive assistants on Tuesday night.

"We wish Rob Likens and Zach Yenser all the best as they enter the next phase of their coaching careers," said Dykes, according to Cal's Rivals.com site. "It is a compliment to your football program when other teams find the coaches on your staff to be attractive hires. Throughout the past two seasons, Rob and Zach have made many important contributions to our football program, helping it grow both on and off the field, and their efforts helped build a strong foundation for success."

Comments

Joe Ross 3 years ago

My first thought is that the brain trust behind the offense can hit the ground running because the run coordinator/O-line coach and the Offensive coordinator have had experience with each other in a productive setting. My second thought is wondering how Yenser is going to develop our offensive linemen into a group that can actually defend the quarterback during the pass and block for the run. It would be nice to see.

Micky Baker 3 years ago

I think Yenser will have a better chance because it is happening under a completely new coaching staff and there are a lot of newcomers that don't have the habits that were developed under Weis. It will also help out a ton that Beaty will have an OC right off the bat so that Beaty will be able to organize his priorities much more effectively. The O-line'e performance is key, especially in the run game, but if we have an air raid type offense where the QB gets rid of the ball quickly then the key will be getting guys that can get out and block. None of us have seen anything from Beaty's playbook yet, so we won't know right away.

Aaron Paisley 3 years ago

It's not going to happen overnight. This class was the first recruiting class geared towards a spread offense and it will take 2-3 more recruiting classes to get where KU needs to be with an OLine the WR depth necessary. One thing that can speed up the process is if Beaty is able to land a QB that can run the offense very well from the day he steps on campus. Cummings is decent QB, but he's not the one the run the Air Raid the way it needs to be run to be highly successful and none of the other QB's on the roster have the necessary skills to run the offense the way it needs to be run.

Joe Ross 3 years ago

On an unrelated note, I have blood on my hands and so I am not fit to give the following lecture; however, better the message be rendered than not at all (you can sift out my hypocrisy later). We have a pretty good forum here and I think youd all agree. The writers bust @$$ to give us articles that provide information and give us fodder for discussion. And I have to admit that I have learned so much and been very well educated by many of your own comments. You guys bring a passion, knowledge, and camaraderie for all things Jayhawk. Which brings me to the point that this site is what we make of it. Lately, however, there have been many verbal brawls spilling over out into the street. Let me tell you, from one who has engaged in those kinds of unproductive arguments it takes a lot of energy to maintain an off-topic discussion in which there isn't a winner. Not the debaters, neither the rest of the us, nor the site benefits one bit from put-downs exchanged between two headstrong pugilists. It accomplishes NOTHING, except to create sideshows that make this site less than what it could otherwise be. We have to learn to disagree agreeably, and not isolate those who hold different ideas as somehow being less intelligent or a lower quality of fan. If they weren't devoted to The University of Kansas they probably wouldn't be on this site in the first place.

In the past, Ive often justified targeting people who I thought were rude. I'd give 'em hell, too. And why? Well, the truth is in those moments I wasn't mature enough to hold my tongue and so I opted for the childish option of being rude right back. As if that was going to get me what I wanted; namely, respect for my ideas. But we have to realize that whatever satisfaction we get from telling others off is not a solution. In fact, youll be lucky if you dont make things much worse. The best thing to do, I suppose (and Im still working it out) is to decide to let your comments speak for themselves. Other posters here will credit your comments on their merit, and if one stays above the fray this will be true even when someone peppers your comments with personal insults. We need both to learn to turn down the volume on personal criticism on the one hand, and to grow thicker skins on the other.

So let me egress off of this soapbox by suggesting that we all hold each other accountable to make this site what we want it to be. By all means, if I cut out of line mention an alternative course politely and Ill do my best to abate. As fans of the SAME SCHOOL we all root for the SAME TEAMS. Our comments should aspire to reflect that. Unless, of course, a Mizzou or Kentucky fan finds his way in. Then disregard all of the above on his account and scorch the earth!

Rock Chalk

Micky Baker 3 years ago

If I had more time, I'd post a response to this. but I agree with the premise of what you're saying Joe.

Kenneth Hillman 3 years ago

Sounds like a good New Year's resolution to me. This isn't to say to not disagree since that is how we learn and make this site more beneficial for all. Respectfully offer opinions knowing they are your own, while respecting and being open to other opinions even if they differ from yours.

RCJ4L

Brad Farha 3 years ago

Well said Joe, and thanks for taking the time to say it.

Len Shaffer 3 years ago

Excellent post, Joe, and I think we all should pay heed to your well-chosen words.

Andy Tweedy 3 years ago

Well said, Joe, there was a doozy of a disagreement on here, I think during the UNLV game, and I was kind of thinking the same thing...sometimes, people just need to chill!

Jim Stauffer 3 years ago

Great post, Joe. I echo your sentiments.

Michael Lorraine 3 years ago

Hear hear Joe. I would rather not read the bickering that occurs from time to time but as a spectator I can’t help but think that some of it is due to the readers misinterpretation of the writers tone that ultimately escalates into an argument. Sometimes the written word does not reflect the nuances in our language in the manner in which it was intended. If these were verbal conversations I don’t think most of them would turn into shouting matches.

It’s perfectly fine to disagree but we are all fellow Jayhawks, we should save our venom for those who deserve it.

David Robinett 3 years ago

Joe Ross for President!!!

We can disagree and be realistic about the program but let's at least be courteous to our fellow KU fans.

Bob Bailey 3 years ago

Please reserve me the right to criticize the nonbasic coaching of basic football skills, esp "tackling, coverage, and logical Defensive Scheme'.