Thursday, February 26, 2015

KU, adidas unveil another new uniform for Jayhawks

A look at all of adidas' "Made in March" shorts for the 2015 postseason.

A look at all of adidas' "Made in March" shorts for the 2015 postseason.

Kansas basketball and adidas are at it again, as the two on Thursday morning unveiled another new alternate uniform that the Jayhawks will wear during the 2015 postseason.

The look, dubbed "Made in March" features a pretty basic jersey with "Kansas" written across the chest and shorts with a giant Jayhawk on the sides.

photo

photo

A look at all of adidas' "Made in March" jerseys for the 2015 postseason.

photo

A look at all of adidas' "Made in March" shorts for the 2015 postseason.

According to the release, the uniform system was "designed with adidas' most innovative and advanced apparel and footwear technology to help the Jayhawks play at their highest levels during college basketball's biggest moments."

The jerseys were designed with the same lightweight, sweat-wicking technology used in the NBA and targeted ventilation zones on the chest, back and side to keep players cool during games. A perforated pattern on the shorts maximizes comfort and breathability.

The uniform package also includes the choice of signature adidas shoes from NBA All-Stars Damian Lillard, John Wall and Derrick Rose.

KU officials said the Made in March uniforms could be worn as early as the Big 12 Championship (March 11-14) at Sprint Center in Kansas City, Missouri.

This marks the second alternate apparel unveiling of the season as Kansas is already slated to don the Heritage Classic uniforms on Saturday against Texas.

Fans can get their gear prior to postseason play as select replica jerseys and shorts will soon be available at KUStore in Allen Fieldhouse, campus bookstores, participating retailers and at KUStore.com. KU's most recent footwear will also be available at adidas.com.

Comments

Justin Daniel 6 years, 11 months ago

Please do not wear those. They look horrible.

Zach Mitts 6 years, 11 months ago

I can guarantee you that KU is contractually obligated to wear them at least once, so I'm sure they will. But Adidas also pays the university over $4M a year, so I think it works out alright to wear a different uniform every now and then.

Joe Joseph 6 years, 11 months ago

I think they're alright. Definitely better than some of the other junk KU has had to wear.

Jay Beakum 6 years, 11 months ago

Not too bad, but for the love of God nobody put on those Derrick Rose shoes!

Priest Fontaine 6 years, 11 months ago

I knew making fun of Louisville's new uniform would come back to haunt us. What's up with the akward cumberbun strip of red? Why does Adidas bust out these cheesy themes every year? The camo uni's were the worst though. Is this really worth our contract of $4 million a year?

Ron Sterling 6 years, 11 months ago

I actually like them. They remind me of the uniforms Memphis wore back in 2008. They aren't the best thing Adidas has dragged out for March, but they're a lot better than those camo/swim trunk uniforms, and the Smurf ones too.

Ryan Shelton 6 years, 11 months ago

"According to the release, the uniform system was 'designed with adidas' most innovative and advanced apparel and footwear technology to help the Jayhawks play at their highest levels during college basketball's biggest moments.'"

Well, with this "technology," I for one am supremely confident we will never lose again.

Mark Lindrud 6 years, 10 months ago

With this new stuff Lucas and Traylor will never miss another free throw again. I am excited!

Allison Steen 6 years, 10 months ago

We're all pretty bad with free throws this year, we have only like 3 guys shooting about 70%. Lucas is like 67% and Traylor is like 64%

Kyle Sybesma 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm going to be arrogant and say that since we are Kansas, we should have a basketball jersey solely designed for us. These are the same uniforms Louisville wears and the shorts look like they are falling off their a$$e$. Less is more when it comes to a KU jersey. I like our regular season jerseys. I'd like to see them in red. I'm also looking forward to the jersey this weekend vs Texas.

Walter Bridges 6 years, 10 months ago

You make a good point but if you want the money the sponsors bring in then you do as the contract says.

I like the unis and it's pretty easy to distinguish between a cardinal and a Jayhawk.

Bryce Landon 6 years, 10 months ago

I want the Jayhawks to wear red uniforms again soon too! Haven't seen'em in red since 2012-13!

Omari Miller 6 years, 11 months ago

I don't think that these are so bad. I do agree with Kyle, though. Given that everyone agrees that Kansas is so much about heritage, it would be nice to use the alternate unis as a chance to salute the history and tradition of Jayhawk basketball. They've done it with the replicas of the 1952 and 1988 unis, but I don't think we can have too much of that angle. I know that isn't the imperative of the adidas brand managers, but it seems that they could derive value off of the goodwill associated with the KU program's real brand, which is in the history (cradle of the game, coaching legacy, conference championships, total wins, etc.) as opposed to applying a template to span all of their premiere team partnerships.

Todd 6 years, 11 months ago

Adidas needs to stick to soccer jerseys. That's what they're good at. Anything basketball related where they've tried to be cute, just ends up wrong. On the same token, Nike has been ruining soccer jerseys the last few years. Maybe the basketball employees at Adidas moonlight in the soccer division for Nike and vice versa lol.

Jay Reynolds 6 years, 11 months ago

Shorts look like sagging. Probably the inspiration.

Ben Kane 6 years, 10 months ago

someone in PR is working hard... "designed with adidas' most innovative and advanced apparel and footwear technology to help the Jayhawks play at their highest levels during college basketball's biggest moments."

Don Burgundy 6 years, 10 months ago

If UCLA has to, then we have to. Plain and simple.

Russ McCaig 6 years, 10 months ago

...how did Indiana get away without the'sag-stripe'?

Michael Lorraine 6 years, 10 months ago

Ship them to the same third world country they send the t-shirts of the losing super bowl team to.

Bryce Landon 6 years, 10 months ago

Compared to last year's "Made in March" jerseys (which were very good), these are HIDEOUS. What's wrong with the uniforms we already have?

Brandon Moor 6 years, 10 months ago

Wow these uniforms are awful. Since we are contractually obligated with Adidas to wear them once, I think it's a safe bet Self could make it a one game deal. That is unless he even remotely likes them. I remember making fun of Louisville's unis earlier this season knowing darn well I shouldn't have done that. Seriously why can't we just wear the Adidas throwback unis we began wearing last season now those look incredible plus Self and the players like them? Oh well, let's take care of business in our final two home games so we can wrap up at least a tie for the Big 12 regular season crown.

Eric TheCapn 6 years, 10 months ago

I still want these, BAD: http://www2.kusports.com/news/2015/ja...

But I still have never seen them on KUStore.com

Bryce Landon 6 years, 10 months ago

They were on kustore.com for a limited time. They only made a limited supply. I have seen them at Rally House/Kansas Sampler in Downtown Lawrence and on fanatics.com.

Dave Miller 6 years, 10 months ago

I don't care for them either. The colors seem too dark and the overall design is just....terrible. There are only two redeeming qualities to them: 1) There is a Jayhawk on them and 2) It has " KU and Kansas " on it. Keep that and scrap the rest of the design and come up with something with more class and composure.

Bryan Eck 6 years, 10 months ago

wow.....they put a lot of work into them ........no wait, block colors and a logo. woo.....