Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Bob Huggins complimentary of Juwan Staten’s shot, hustle

West Virginia guards Chase Connor, left, and Gary Browne, center, surround Juwan Staten (3) at the end of the Mountaineers 62-61 win over the Jayhawks Monday, February 16, 2105  in Morgantown, W.V. Staten scored the final basket for the win.

West Virginia guards Chase Connor, left, and Gary Browne, center, surround Juwan Staten (3) at the end of the Mountaineers 62-61 win over the Jayhawks Monday, February 16, 2105 in Morgantown, W.V. Staten scored the final basket for the win.

— Of course, Bob Huggins loved the coast-to-coast layup Juwan Staten hit with 3.9 seconds left in West Virginia’s 62-61 win over Kansas University on Monday in WVU Coliseum.

Yet West Virginia’s coach was even more enthralled with the guard racing back to play defense as Perry Ellis attempted and missed a game-winning layup at the buzzer.

“Juwan made a great play,” Huggins said of the Big 12’s preseason player of the year who finished the game with 20 points off 9-of-18 shooting and four assists against no turnovers.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self talks breakdowns of KU loss at West Virginia

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self answers questions about the breakdowns that cost the Jayhawks in a 62-61 Big Monday loss at West Virginia.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Perry Ellis and Frank Mason discuss wild final seconds of loss at WVU

Kansas basketball players Perry Ellis and Frank Mason III discuss the decisive final seconds of KU's 62-61 loss at West Virginia on Big Monday, when Juwan Staten scored a layup on one end of the floor, and Ellis missed a buzzer-beater immediately after it.

Download podcast

WEST VIRGINIA 62, KANSAS 61

Box score

“I don’t know who else was down there. Whoever else was down there that didn’t let it go in. They had a great play,” Huggins added of the Jayhawks.

Indeed, immediately after Staten’s bucket, Jamari Traylor fired a deep baseball pass to Ellis for the possible game-winning shot.

“Juwan scores and then he’s the one who runs in front of Perry Ellis to miss the shot. I don’t know if he got a piece of the ball, but he altered his steps,” Huggins said.

Of Staten’s coast-to-coast layup that came after a timeout with 8.3 seconds left and KU up one, Huggins said: “I wanted Juwan’s shoulders to face the basket.”

Asked about his coaching style at the end of games, Huggins said: “I’m not thinking about that. I’m thinking about how we get the ball to the guy, how we get the run on the ball, how we block their bigs and how we get it on the rim. I think about who is going to take it out of bounds.

“There’s a lot of things to think about. I don’t have time to think about the kind of coach I’m going to be. You know you want to get the ball to Juwan, but who’s going to pass it, set the screen and hold that guy? It’s the same move he made at Oklahoma State and he missed it.”

KU suffered 14 turnovers off the Mountaineers’ press.

“We had guys cramping up,” Huggins said of backing out of full-court trapping the second half. “The guys I wanted in there were cramping up. I didn’t do it for any reason other than I needed those guys on the floor.”

West Virginia improved to 20-6 overall and 8-5 in the league.

“Why would it (victory) take the pressure off us?” he said. “The whole point is to have a higher seed in the tournament. The only way this is like an NCAA tournament game is because we only had one day in between.”

Just 7,033 fans attended on a snowy night.

“I know we would have had a big crowd if it wouldn’t have snowed,” he said. “To have this many people is great. The students (who stormed court) were great. They were terrific.”

More news and notes from Kansas at West Virginia

By the Numbers: West Virginia beats Kansas, 62-61

By the Numbers: West Virginia beats Kansas, 62-61

Comments

Glen Miller 4 years, 11 months ago

Tired of every team that beats us storming their court...... it's a compliment, I understand. But come on!!

Gerry Butler 4 years, 11 months ago

if HUGGINS is proud of the fans storming the floor then he is even a less of a coach then I give him credit for. his team is surpose to be atop 25 ranked team, when your a top 25 club your surpose to be at least a little use to winning, his players expect to win or at least they should have that mentality. NOT think upset.. so if huggins is proud of fans storming the court and considers it an upset, does that mean in his pregame he was telling his players ok guys lets go upset these guys on our home floor? it he did then he has no business coaching

Glen Miller 4 years, 11 months ago

It wasn't even an upset.... the line was WVU by 1 up until a couple hours before game time....... that's what irritates me to no end. It wasn't a huge upset at all. Yet, their fans still acted like a bunch of idiots.

JD Roth 4 years, 11 months ago

When you defeat 10 consecutive Big XII Champion Kansas, soon to be 11 consecutive, it is BIG for the opponents fan base. I said BIG!!!! Not sure why you fans don't understand that.

Noel Graham 4 years, 11 months ago

That is win number two where WV benefitted from a call (or non-call) at home. It is not possible for a guard to pick up his dribble at the three point line, spin and then go in for a layup without traveling. The fact that no one in the media is talking about it is equaling disturbing. Here is a good look at the travel:

Larry Myers 4 years, 11 months ago

Glen, since Huggins' contract awards him $25,000.00 any time that WV beats KU, we are lucky that Huggins didn't storm the court!

Damian Glaze 4 years, 11 months ago

Any coach that endorses people rushing the playing field is a moron and should be held liable if things happen (between students and athletes); or if people get hurt (students and/or athletes). You can't condone that behavior because so much can go wrong when the emotions are that high. But, that's Bobby Thuggins for you. He's always been a selfish and thoughtless person and coach.

Kristen Downing 4 years, 11 months ago

I did like Jamari's pass. Trying to find something.....

Lee Sears 4 years, 11 months ago

I'm with Glen Miller on every team that beats KU wanting to storm the court. Oklahoma State did it, now West Virginia, and both teams beat us at home last season so it's not like it's been YEARS since they have had a home win. It's ridiculous. I thought Perry should have got the quick 2 pts at the end of the game, but Juwan fouled him.

Brad Farha 4 years, 11 months ago

Have to give credit where it's due -- Iowa State did not storm the court when they beat us. And I don't mind when other teams do it. I don't want anyone to get hurt, but I like it when fans celebrate. It's part of the fun of college athletics. You could never do this in the NBA or NFL.