Saturday, February 7, 2015

Notebook: Frank Mason whistled for ‘T’ in road loss

Kansas guard Frank Mason III (0) brings the ball across half court as he is defended by Oklahoma State guard Anthony Hickey Jr. (12) during the first half on Saturday, Feb. 7, 2015 at Gallagher-Iba Arena.

— Kansas University sophomore Frank Mason III was hit with a technical foul with 2:40 left in the first half and the Jayhawks leading Oklahoma State by 11 points in what ultimately turned into a 67-62 defeat Saturday in Gallagher-Iba Arena.

“I saw Brannen (Greene) surrounded by the Oklahoma State players (after a tie up with KU on offense). I kind of went over there. I just said, ‘Everyone chill out,’ and that’s it.” Mason said.

“He gave me a technical for saying, ‘Everyone chill out.’ Yeah I was very surprised. I didn’t think I deserved a tech for that. I didn’t say it directly toward anyone. I don’t see why I would get a tech for that,” Mason added.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

KU coach Bill Self says sluggish start to 2nd half killed Kansas

KU coach Bill Self says sluggish start to 2nd half killed Kansas in 67-62 loss at Oklahoma State.

Download podcast

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Wayne Selden, Perry Ellis explain how OSU press bothered Kansas

Kansas University basketball players Wayne Selden and Perry Ellis explain how the Oklahoma State press bothered Kansas during Saturday's 67-62 loss in Stillwater.

Download podcast

OKLAHOMA STATE 67, KANSAS 62

Box score

Oubre held to one point: KU freshman guard Kelly Oubre Jr. scored one point in 14 minutes. He missed three floor shots, hit one of two free throws and had three rebounds in 14 minutes.

“I don’t think he played as well,” coach Bill Self said. “Kelly is a really good player. When he is playing with energy and defending, rebounding and doing those things, offense comes easier. I didn’t think anybody did those things well today.”

Self on Gallagher-Iba: “I don’t know our record here. I don’t think it’s very good, 3-5 or something like that,” he said, correctly identifying KU’s 3-5 mark in Stillwater in the Self era.

“They were just better than us today. Le’Bryan (Nash, 18 points, five rebounds) was best player in the game. I thought Hickey (Anthony, 15 points, three boards) played well. We did a good job on Forte (Phil, 13 points). He only got off one good look against us. He made us pay when we didn’t hedge ball screen. This is a great building. I don’t follow Oklahoma State basketball close enough to know what kind of home court they have on a consistent basis. When we’ve been here, it’s been a good home court. I think their players feed off it,” Self added.

Final Four squad cheered: OSU honored its 1995 Final Four team and coach Eddie Sutton at halftime.

Stats, facts: The game drew 10,399 fans in an arena that seats 13,611. ... KU leads the all-time series, 110-56. ... OSU won its second-straight over KU in Gallagher-Iba Arena, tying the series at 33-33 inside the facility. ... Self is 344-73 at KU, 13-7 against OSU as KU coach. ... For the first time this season, KU lost when leading at halftime and is now 15-1 in such games. ... KU was behind with five minutes left for the fifth time and is 1-4 in those contests. ... KU hit a season-best 78 percent (7-for-9) from three in the opening 20 minutes. ... KU hit seven threes in a half for the fourth time this season (7-for-14, first half vs. Rhode Island; 7-for-12, second half vs. Texas Tech; 9-for-13, first half vs. Oklahoma). ... OSU went 0-for-9 from three the first half. ... KU outr-ebounded OSU 20-9 the first half. The nine rebounds were the fewest allowed in a half in conference play since TCU grabbed eight in the second half (2/13/13). ... The Jayhawks held Florida to nine rebounds in the second half earlier this season (12/5/14). KU was out-rebounded in the second half, 26-15. ... KU’s two blocks tied a season-low, while the team’s 18 turnovers marked a season-high. ... In the last six games, KU’s bench has outscored the opponent’s bench 149-40 (31-7 against Oklahoma, 31-8 against Texas, 35-4 at TCU, 14-9 against K-State, 20-8 versus Iowa State, 18-4 at Oklahoma State).

More news and notes from Kansas at Oklahoma State

By the Numbers: Oklahoma State beats Kansas, 67-62

By the Numbers: Oklahoma State beats Kansas, 67-62

Comments

RJ King 4 years, 9 months ago

Over three thousand empty seats? Way to show up Cowboy fans. Must have been $1 Cheese Fry Day down at Eskimo Joe's.

Jay Scott 4 years, 9 months ago

It looked more like 5,000 empty seats on TV

Dirk Medema 4 years, 9 months ago

They were really comatose, but that was one of the more lethargic efforts I've seen by just about everyone.

Dave Miller 4 years, 9 months ago

Man, that 2nd half... I have no idea what happened between the 1st half and the 2nd, but let's not visit that again! It was like someone threw a switch at half time. And again, I think some of these officials get "whistle happy" for some really ticky tacky, border line fouls and just really disrupted the flow. Don't get me started on Frank Mason technical. His posture definitely was not provocative or threatening, and from what I could tell neither was his attitude. And why weren't they taking it right at Nash to begin the 2nd half? Oh, and Brannen Greene isn't a ball handler.

Russ McCaig 4 years, 9 months ago

not only that, the player that Brannen was involved with, pushed out at him with his forearm, right in front of the official...Brannen immediately turned and just walked away...the officials (2 of them) just stared at him as he walked away and other Jayhawks..then the T....didn't understand how the 'shove' that initiated the incident was not given a 'double T' at the very least....

Steve Zimmerman 4 years, 9 months ago

Frank always keeps his cool. He's Frank Mason. That tech is delusional. Regardless, he didn't play as he should be. Some might have noticed too, not sure if this is what coach Self wants out of Mason. But he didn't dish or involve others as much. Cliff is so under utilized in the offense - this is bad.

Frank, I suggest you watch more of Wall's tapes if you want to go to the next level, not to carry the burden on your shoulder feeling like nobody in the team can be trusted or keeps the scoring to yourself.. whatever it s that hindering him from being a real PG. A leader doesn't mean you have to score the most.

Mike Riches 4 years, 9 months ago

I do think that was a lame call, however, on the replay Mason definitely hung around the OSU bench for a few seconds after Greene had left. Regardless of what he said, that action got him the tech. I was much more frustrated with Mason missing free throws late than I was with that tech.

Bryce Landon 4 years, 9 months ago

I agree. Going forward, until Mason can start hitting his FTs, he should ride the pine after the final media timeout in close games.

Raymond Wright 4 years, 9 months ago

Yes, put the best ball handler we have on the bench late in a close game.

Tom Jones 4 years, 9 months ago

Bill Self memo to OSU fans who still think he's coming to coach there:

"I don’t follow Oklahoma State basketball close enough to know what kind of home court they have on a consistent basis."

He's not.

Russ McCaig 4 years, 9 months ago

do you recall this statement? "I don't give a flip about North Carolina!"... I hope HCBS finishes his coaching career in Lawrence...but you never know...

Tom Jones 4 years, 9 months ago

True, pigs could fly, too. You never know... ;)