Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Senior forward Jamari Traylor gives KU lift off bench

Kansas forward Jamari Traylor rips away a rebound from San Diego State forward Skylar Spencer (0) during the first half, Tuesday, Dec. 22, 2015 at Viejas Arena in San Diego.

— Jamari Traylor definitely filled his role as Kansas University’s “energy guy” in the Jayhawks’ 70-57 victory over San Diego State on Tuesday night in San Diego State’s Viejas Arena.

Traylor, who played six minutes in the first half — a half in which KU led by 16 points overall and 39-27 at the break — was a force the final half, especially after the Aztecs cut KU’s lead to four points.

The 6-foot-8 Chicago senior scored six points with five rebounds and two steals in 15 vital minutes.

“I’m a senior,” Traylor said, “so if I’m playing hard, those guys (younger teammates) don’t have an excuse if they see me doing that.”

Traylor said a key to Tuesday’s victory was the fact the Jayhawks moved the ball.

“We knew we had to move the ball, because they are one of the best defensive teams in the nation. Defensively we didn’t want to give them easy buckets.”

KU hit 42.6 percent of its shots including eight of 19 threes. S.D. State hit 37 percent including three of eight from three.

KU senior Perry Ellis, who had 20 points in 35 minutes, was quite impressed the Jayhawks kept their composure after seeing the 16-point lead dip to four, 45-41, still with 13:45 left.

“We kept running our offense and moving the ball,” Ellis said. “We’ve been in these situations before. I feel comfortable in our team. We showed composure and that should help moving forward.”

— See what people were saying about Kansas at San Diego State during KUsports.com’s live blog

More news and notes from Kansas at San Diego State

By the Numbers: Kansas 70, San Diego State 57

By the Numbers: Kansas 70, San Diego State 57

Comments

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 10 months ago

A win is a win but I think the constant tinkering of the line-up is not helping the team and may be causing players to lose confidence in themselves or not understand their role on this team.

Dale Rogers 3 years, 10 months ago

It's hard to argue with success and with the idea of finding out what combinations work best in which situations. I'll have to keep my faith in the man who has been so successful at KU for the past 13 years.

Benny Armstrong 3 years, 10 months ago

I agree that I would like to have a consistent lineup so the team can build continuity, but I also agree with Dale that this can be a huge benefit going forward. Self and the staff can lean on these sorts of games in conference and beyond when the opponents try to scheme against us in a specific way. If they attack the guards/bigs one way, we're ready with a lineup to counter and exploit that. It also serves to add to the tape that teams have to review and try to gameplan against. Once in conference with two games a week, there's only so much a team can try learn and implement in a couple of days to stop us so that gives us a leg up too.

I'll be interested to see who makes the biggest strides during winter break where Self's teams notoriously gets better with unlimited practice time. Guys might start to separate and earn more playing time, but in the meantime I like how we're handling the lineup in these games.

Jay Scott 3 years, 10 months ago

Jamari matches up great against the smaller, quicker front lines line SDSU. He has the hops and can guard the perimeter better than any Kansas big. Those that don't like seeing him get minutes are in for a long winter.

Bryce Landon 3 years, 10 months ago

Not only a senior, but now technically an alumnus of KU! And it's good to see Jamari with that mentality; I love it!

Len Shaffer 3 years, 10 months ago

Can someone please fix the stats? I doubt seriously that KU was out-rebounded by SDSU, and there's no way that each team had exactly the same percentage in field goals and three-point field goals.

Dale Rogers 3 years, 10 months ago

Here's another box score showing they did outrebound us. I'm not surprised, actually, given that in the second half it sure seemed SDSU was getting all the rebounds including a bunch of offensive rebounds. As for the shooting percentages, no, they are not the same. I didn't see the box with that error you mentioned but this other box shows you are correct on that. https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/kansas-jayhawks-san-diego-state-aztecs-201512220498/

Dale Rogers 3 years, 10 months ago

OK, now I see those numbers you mentioned. That other box I posted shows pretty much the same thing except it shows 3-point shooting for KU at 42.1%, which doesn't round off to 43% as shown above but is close.