Kansas defeats Holy Cross, 92-59

• 7 p.m., Dec. 9, 2015
  • Allen Fieldhouse, Lawrence, KS

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Great to be back: Kansas cruises in Brannen Greene’s return

Kansas guard Brannen Greene (14) gets airborne with the rest of the bench as they celebrate a breakaway bucket by reserve Clay Young during the second half, Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2015 at Allen Fieldhouse.

Kansas University junior guard Brannen Greene learned his six-game suspension had turned into a five-gamer — thus had expired — during a coach/player chat after practice on Tuesday.

“Coach (Bill Self) pulled me aside. He said he’d allow me to suit up. He’s been happy with my attitude, how I work in practice and all that,” said Greene, who celebrated his return to action by scoring 14 points off 5-of-6 shooting (3-of-4 from three) in the Jayhawks’ 92-59 rout of Holy Cross on Wednesday night in Allen Fieldhouse.

Greene, who is now 11-of-12 shooting on the season and 8-of-9 from three, missed a handful of contests after barking at Self about playing time both during and after KU’s loss to Michigan State on Nov. 17 in Chicago.

“He did some good things. He’s been practicing well. His attitude’s been good. I thought that was enough. He earned his way back on the court,” Self said, stressing that the suspension was “for a combination of things.”

Coach and player insist they have no differences that still need to be worked out.

“Let me make this real clear: We don’t need to get on the same page. He needs to get on our page,” Self said. “We had several or a few good talks initially (after Michigan State game), really good talks. I think he wants to be part of everything that’s going on here. I’m pleased with him.”

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Bill Self discusses Brannen Greene's return, win over Holy Cross

Kansas basketball coach Bill Self discusses the return of junior guard Brannen Greene (14 points) and the impact that had on the No. 2-ranked Jayhawks' 92-59 victory over Holy Cross.

Download podcast

Greene — he scored nine first-half points as KU stormed to a 50-33 lead at the break (off 70.4 percent shooting) — cited Self as being the one person who supported him the most during his penalty.

“Coach Self is my guy,” Greene, a 6-foot-7 native of Juliette, Georgia, said. “I know we had an argument, but that was strictly on the court. On the court is not related to off the court, being a competitor. We’re fine. Honestly, I look to coach Self, honestly. He’s my guy.”

Greene was asked to reveal Self’s main message to him during the suspension.

Podcast episode

Press Conferences & Post-Game Interviews

Greene, Selden and Diallo discuss beating Holy Cross

After Brannen Greene returned to the Kansas basketball lineup and the Jayhawks rolled in a 92-59 victory over Holy Cross, Greene, Wayne Selden Jr. and Cheick Diallo discuss the win with media members.

Download podcast

“Just stay positive, look at it as a positive,” Greene said. “He said with me we can win a national championship. It was as simple as that.”

Actually not as simple as that.

“Once again you guys (media) have been scooped. I haven’t ever said that,” Self said of winning a title if Greene is eligible to play. “I do think we have a lot of pieces that I think offensively will be hard to guard. It’ll be easier to find three guys that are playing well when you are playing five (perimeter players), but, no, I never said that. He (Greene) gets a little bit carried away sometimes when he gets excited and actually remembering or stating fact. I do think we have a chance to be one of the better teams.”

Greene said any rumors of his transferring were false.

“I knew I wasn’t going to leave the school. I knew I was going to stay here. I knew I was going to face a punishment when it happened (against MSU). I just had to look at it as a positive,” Greene said.

He’s not proud of the fact he’s now missed a handful of games due to behavioral issues.

“My junior year, getting suspended five games, nobody wants that to happen, but I made a mistake,” Greene said. “I’ve just got to keep moving forward. Hopefully it’ll be in the past.”

His punishment included missing out on the trip to paradise for the Maui Invitational.

“It was definitely difficult watching them play,” Greene said. “I knew I’d get back with them, so I just had to look at it as a positive. When the guys were in Maui, I stayed in the gym. When the guys got back I started practicing with ’em, same ol’ same ol’.”

Self was asked if Greene’s “stubbornness” makes him an effective player.

“I always thought that. One thing ... he can’t remember his misses,” Self said. “He’d be a good cornerback or quarterback because he wouldn’t remember his last pass unless of course it was a touchdown. I do think there’s some positives to that. I just wish he’d guard better. He’s been trying in practice, though.”

Greene scored six straight points to open a 19-5 run that gave the Jayhawks a 45-25 lead with 2:45 left in the first half. Holy Cross did cut it to six in the second half before KU used a 9-0 run to open a double-digit lead again

KU had six players score in double figures. Wayne Selden, Jr., scored 15 points, while Greene had 14, Frank Mason III 13, Perry Ellis and Cheick Diallo 12 and Devonté Graham 10.

KU hit 63 percent of its shots to Holy Cross’ 38.1 percent. KU hit all 12 of its free throw tries.

“We made shots. When you make shots, everything looks good,” Self said. “I didn’t think we guarded them at all at the start of the second half. That was horrendous. They had 17 points in four minutes (to cut it to six). After that we were good. Our defense has to improve tremendously.”

KU will next meet Oregon State at 7 p.m., Saturday, in Sprint Center in Kansas City.

— See what people were saying about the game during KUsports.com’s live coverage

More news and notes from Kansas vs. Holy Cross

By the Numbers: Kansas 92, Holy Cross 59

By the Numbers: Kansas 92, Holy Cross 59

Comments

Suzi Marshall 3 years, 11 months ago

12-12, Diablo 4-4, from the line! They must have been working on FTs the past few days. Hope we keep it up.

Steve Zimmerman 3 years, 11 months ago

Thanks for believing in KU, Brannen. Stay hot against any opponents! It's very excited to see those 3s falling.

Rodney Crain 3 years, 11 months ago

Wishing Womens Volleyball Good Luck!!!

Very nice game by our team. Great response in the 2nd half great to see Hunter and Cheicks play.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 11 months ago

Nice shout out to the Women's Volleyball team.

James Smith 3 years, 11 months ago

Good move by BS. Good to see some tinkering as promised. I know that it was Holy Cross but we can play with one point guard and it did have some positive effects. Good to see people get playing time. To bad for Hunter that he did not make the most of his time but still like his length and offensive ability but again we did not see it.

Jared Reeves 3 years, 11 months ago

James, I thought Hunter looked pretty good (not great). He had very active hands early and got a lot of deflections. In only 15 minutes he had 2 blocks, 2 assists and 2 steals. I thought he altered a lot of shots too. No points, but only 1 shot (he was not the focal point of the offense and doesn't need to be).

On the negative--he did get 3 fouls (some of them silly, but that is probably because of a lack of PT); and only 2 rebounds.

James Smith 3 years, 11 months ago

Good points Jared. Just think that he needed to do more if he wants more playing time.

Jared Reeves 3 years, 11 months ago

James, you are probably correct. Because BS seems to undervalue what Hunter provides, Hunter has to be more than 'pretty good' to justify more minutes.

Thad Daugherty 3 years, 11 months ago

Greene went about it wrong but he had a point. Who wasn't frustrated during the MSU game.

Mark Lindrud 3 years, 11 months ago

We need Greene if we are going to go far. His shooting is special, period. With him out there teams have to think twice about collapsing down low. I just wish we would set up plays for him to shoot.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

Both Greene and Svi are showing more ability to put the ball on the floor. That will help them get more space. Hopefully they can do it against longer, quicker matchups.

James Smith 3 years, 11 months ago

Agree Jay they have shown issues with dribble penetration. Sad that we really don't have any shutdown guarding players and need to continue to work on help rotating defense. I like what Greene and Svi have to offer on the offensive side.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

I guess when Devonte Graham held Alford to 1/6 shooting that wasn't "shut down'...

James Smith 3 years, 11 months ago

Again Graham only played 25 and was not guarding him all the time. Remember you had to attack me because you cannot logically debunk this.

You just through crap like we won 12 Big 12 championships, BS is in the Hall of Fame and MSU was not in the 2015 Final Four but if you say it then it is true!!! Crazy!

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

So who shut him down? You lose either way Jimmy... Is it Selden? Is it Mason? Svi? It was Graham most the night. The 25 mins is more a reflection of the blowout. Ellis only played 27 mins despite being 9/12 (against a bigger guy, which the Chicken Littles swear he never does) Nobody played more than 33. Pick your version. You look stupid either way. Again.

James Smith 3 years, 11 months ago

Again wrong like I told you he was in foul trouble and as usual when you are shot down you move on and never answer. No I don't lose they were scoring elsewhere that night. Just because someone had a bad night does not mean they were shutdown. Kids have off nights and if you are 1 for 6 you should stop shooting and feed someone else. PHYSCO!!!

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

Do you even watch the games? You can't actually be a fan and be this ignorant. Daddy Alford ran every screen combo in the playbook to get their best scorer open. Graham had him too well guarded. Admit it. You didn't watch the game.

You really make yourself look more credible with that eloquent closing remark. Nice. In case anyone wonders about your maturity or intellect, you sure clear that up...

James Smith 3 years, 11 months ago

Crazy Jay enjoy your day and remember.

BS is not in the HOF.

MSU was in the 2015 Final Four.

KU has only 11 Big 12 Championships!

These are some common Jayism!!!

Enjoy!

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

I said those things? They're all correct. (assuming you mean 11 in a row)

James Smith 3 years, 11 months ago

Such an ahole and everyone knows the truth. You are a Troll and YOU played right into my point to prove my point. Thanks!!! Last time that I will worry about you. Enjoy your PATHETIC life.

Benjamin Clay Jones 3 years, 11 months ago

I think when Self said "Once again you guys have been scooped," he meant to say, "Once again you guys have been duped." Either that or time for Gary to recharge the batteries in his hearing aid.

Tony Bandle 3 years, 11 months ago

Is it just me or does the middle of our defense look like Sunday morning on the Kansas Turnpike. I realize Landon and Jamari were held out but I am afraid when we start playing teams with two big guys or more, we are going to be in trouble.

I know this is heresy in Bill Self Land but, just maybe, a zone defense may not be a bad choice every once in awhile.

The other fear I have is that those who live by the three pointer, die by the three pointer. Hopefully, our offense will start blasting it down in the paint.

Still, 7-1, #2 in the country, averaging 90+ points a game and our only loss was to the current undefeated #1 team whom we should have beaten, can't really complain too much, can I. :)

Jared Reeves 3 years, 11 months ago

Tony, being critical is not the same as complaining. I think one problem with our middle defense is that we can't stop dribble penetration very well. Another problem is that help side defense doesn't always rotate fast enough. If we have a shot blocker in there, most of the time that will help.

Jared Reeves 3 years, 11 months ago

Also...how DARE you use the 'Z' word!?!? (sarcasm font)

Kent Richardson 3 years, 11 months ago

You have nailed the deficiency for this team. I could say so far. The middle defense and what happens when our high octane shooting goes south. Then an opponent can slow it down and grind on us.

We will get better as our big guys develop. We don't need perfect and Landon with his toughness, Hunter with his length and shot blocking ability and Carlton showing rebounding skills can stop repeated easy inside looks from big grind it out opponents.

The live by the three, die by the three scenario will impact us when most when Perry appears or disappears regarding his, in the paint scoring.

In the post season, of course, it only takes one time.

You talk about zones says "can we adjust?"

Cheick, Carlton and Hunter can offensive rebound and put back on missed threes as they develop.

RJ King 3 years, 11 months ago

Agree with all, except don't most missed three's go long?

RJ King 3 years, 11 months ago

Ditto. Sorry, never played basketball - just a fan - but doesn't teaching new defenses take considerable time? Since we generally have quite a few freshmen and sophomore stars, isn't it even more of a challenge?

It would be great if they could pull something out of their back pocket by March. It was so much fun to see the veteran team of 2012 play that defense (I forget the name 3-2 or something) that baffled Roy and stymied Ohio State. Would be great to have something like that, plus a zone, in their toolkit.

Greg Lux 3 years, 11 months ago

I know this has nothing to do with the article but could KuSports.com please remove the World University Games survey from last summer and replace it with something more current. Merry Christmas

Brett McCabe 3 years, 11 months ago

Time and opportunities are passing you by Brannen. The league is still available to you, but just barely, and the only way to get there is to get yourself on the court.

Fifty-percent of the game is played on defense. Do your part and you will be rewarded. Or complain and sit. It's a real choice with real consequences.

JD Roth 3 years, 11 months ago

I figured you would lay low after your West Virginia would blast K-State guarantee.

Brett McCabe 3 years, 11 months ago

Not really sure what that means. Cryptic isn't a language that I regularly speak. I do post on this site regularly, though, no laying low.

You sound like a proud purple pussycat, though. So, here's my next prediction: KSU fans will always be exceedingly strange.

Jared Reeves 3 years, 11 months ago

The Good: Greene (back a game early and still on fire); Ellis (he usually does well against smaller opponents or when he can operate away from the basket); shooting (FT, 3pt, 2pt); a shot blocker (Hunter) starting.

The Bad: Turnovers, fouling, 3pt defense.

The Ugly: Stopping dribble penetration.

Kent Richardson 3 years, 11 months ago

Nice point on "The Ugly." The scouting report was they penetrate and back door you to death. I guess we just wanted to see if it was really true. Lol.

Bob Thompson 3 years, 11 months ago

Why didn't I hear the KU rock chalk chant that the crowd always does at the end of a game that we won?

RJ King 3 years, 11 months ago

The walk-ons were pretty entertaining. I think maybe the crowd got distracted and forgot. I'm OK with no chant, since it was a blow-out. I'd rather one of our rivals hear it when the game was more of a battle.

Jared Reeves 3 years, 11 months ago

I think I figured out why HCBS is always harping about the defense after every game (besides the fact that he overvalues defense)--it is because he schedules team based in part on the type of offense they run to test the team.

Holy Cross runs a lot of back-cuts, which is unique, and BS wants to prepare the team to be ready for anything--which is smart. So, when BS talks about not worrying about shots falling, it is because he didn’t schedule the opponent to test our offense, he scheduled them to test our defense.

I just wonder how often (if ever) HCBS schedules a team to challenge our offense.

Lynn Anderson 3 years, 11 months ago

Wow. You win Jared! Over values DEFENSE! No one ever wins playing defense, it's almost ALWAYS the best offensive team, mo matter the sport. U do not think U have ever heard a respectable coach say "Defense wins Championships"!

And gee, if only BS would give Hunter lots more minutes, he would set world on fire!

Sarcasm font

James Smith 3 years, 11 months ago

All good Lucas and Traylor will be back soon and our defense is fixed. Then we can work on offense with them. Much easier to teach offense than defense.

Jared Reeves 3 years, 11 months ago

Lynn, cute, but I did not say defense is not important. Defense is just as important as offense. However, some coaches don’t realize this, and overvalue one over the other. For example:

Preferring to win by an average of 50 pts to 40, rather than winning by an average of 80 pts to 70 is an example of overvaluing defense, because the margin of victory is all that matters.

Preferring to win 50 to 40, rather than 90 to 70, is a strongly overvaluing defense.

Preferring to win 50 to 40, rather than 123 to 72, is insanely overvaluing defense (see BS’s comments) http://www2.kusports.com/news/2015/no...

But if you schedule a game just to test your defense, and it performs poorly, then I can understand the reaction. I just wonder if BS schedules game to test the offense, which is equally important to winning as defense.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

She quote you verbatim. "Overvalues defense"

Self's teams average about 76 PPG over his tenure. (about 2PPG lower than Duke BTW) And 30 wins, a conference title and NCAA 2 seed, on average.

Jared Reeves 3 years, 11 months ago

Jay, I have told you before--I don't feed trolls. I am happy to be an interlocutor with anyone else.

Jared Reeves 3 years, 11 months ago

Also, to preempt the standard counter-argument that KU needs prove it can stop mediocre teams, if it wants to stop good teams--the same is true about offense. To prove we can score against good teams, we should be able to score against mediocre teams. Again, offense matters as much as defense.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

What NCAA coach has a better value of offense vs defense?

Mick Allen 3 years, 11 months ago

Love the pace of play. This is as "fast" a tempo as a Self team has played. I credit a lot of that to playing the 2 small, quick guards who get it and go. I realize that we are capable of playing different personnel together depending on the strengths or weaknesses of our opponent and while the 2 guard look does not need to be on the court together all the time, we certainly play "faster" when they are both in. I also believe that coach has accepted the fact that currently we do not have the low post offensive presence to pound everything down low and wants to capitalize on getting easier baskets on the run outs and more concentration on our perimeter offense. I recognize the fact that the Holy Cross zone was trying to pack it in and did a poor job of closing out on our 3 point shooters, consequently giving us plenty of open, unguarded 3s, but 23 assists on 32 made baskets once again underscores our kids' willingness to share the ball and be unselfish. Not only might this be coach's best shooting group,it can be one of his best passing teams.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

Well said Mick. It will be interesting to see if HCBS adjusts to a longer frontcourt like SDSU by playing Green or Svi more ...or if he can force Fisher to adjust if KU is faster.

Lynn Anderson 3 years, 11 months ago

And p.s. We really should be worried. We have no top recruits. Everyone else who is anyone has top recruits. We never do. Its Bill Self's fault. Woe is us.

James Smith 3 years, 11 months ago

Way to go Lynn this is sure to bring Crazy Jay out.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

Lynn, isn't it funny how when you mock the Chicken Little Crazies that at least one of them can't help but acknowledge that they do indeed see themselves that way deep down...

RJ King 3 years, 11 months ago

Damn Lynn. Just when I was really enjoying a thread with much content and no childish baiting, I crashed into your post.

I know, I know. You never promised me a rose garden.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

If the entire coaching staff was fired and replaced by the Chicken Little Contingent it would have been a 50 point win. Maybe a shutout. Good teams will beat them easily. Next year will be awful. No recruits, no returners and nobody ever develops and gets drafted anyway. Kansas basketball is brutal.

James Smith 3 years, 11 months ago

Told you Lynn...Blah...Blah...Blah. He at the point now where he can just copy and paste his comments. Well until he has to continue to correct his so called facts.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

Somebody admits that they're one of the crazies.....who's next?

James Smith 3 years, 11 months ago

Glad you came clean and admit that you are crazy. Thanks. Could be a start to recovery for you and maybe you can start a post for once with logical info or good insight about KU Basketball instead of just trolling on everyone's post and attack them personally.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

James. I'm sorry that having your opinions revealed as folly is a personal attack in your world. Where do you see a personal attack on you? Do you sincerely believe that you're a crazy? You seem to respond to every comment that mocks absurd ideas as though it's aimed at you specifically. If you have that much deep seated self loathing (small "S" on self, this time) then you might try to get help for that. Responding to comments with "psycho" and "crazy jay" hardly gives you standing to complain about insults, especially when none are directed at you personally.

James Smith 3 years, 11 months ago

Jay 1) Never have you been able to debunk any of my opinions with logic. You continue to use false info or in many cases no info. You love just throwing up crap and hope that it sticks. 2) No you are the crazy one. 3) No I have decided that I am going to call you out for bullying anyone who wants to say something that you disagree with instead of bringing real facts to state your case. Plus liking your own commits is so funny to watch. You never start a post and you always attack the person or bully them.
4) You are psycho or crazy to post like you do. Bring substance to this website and we would enjoy your company more. You have done it a couple of times and it is refreshing to see. Once you stop bullying everyone then I will stop with the Crazy and Psycho stuff.
5) Oh an as for the personal attacks on me there has been many. I am not as stupid as you.

Use this site as intended...express the good and bad about KU basketball and respect those who have an opinion either way. Some are right some or wrong but it is their opinion. Many on here have warned you but you just continue with bullying ways.

Jaston Archie 3 years, 11 months ago

Wow it's amazing how good KU looks when Lucas and Traylor are on the bench. I hope they both completely recover from their respective injuries, but hopefully they don't return to the court, at least not very often. Clearly, Diallo and Bragg and Hunter are much better players and deserve to be on the floor. Also glad to see Brannen Greene return and appreciate the fact that after all he's gone through he still hasn't lost his confidence and edginess. A really good performance. RCJH!

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

You might be right. I'm sure there's no way Traylor will ever have a 17pt/9reb game again like he did in the NCAA tournament. Or 15/5 like he did in limited minutes against both Baylor and Utah last year. Or 14/9 like he did against WVU. I'm sure there's no reason he consistently plays in the final minutes of big games. His ability to guard 3 positions, hit FTs and switch on perimeter screens can't be useful...

I'm sure Lucas will never again be "the best player on the floor" as Self described his play only 5 days ago.That 13/12 against OU last year was surely an aberration as was the 7/9 against New Mexico.

Hopefully we never see any more.

Jaston Archie 3 years, 11 months ago

Jay as I'm sure you know very well, there's good but then there's better, Hunter, Diallo and Bragg, IMO, are better than Lucas and Traylor. That does not mean that the those two are not good players, obviously they are good to be playing D1 basketball and even more so to be playing at KU. But they are not on the same level as Diallo and Bragg for sure. As for your BS infatuation and quote, he's the person who also said that KU's 3 pointers were "fool's gold," well last night was one foolish game then, bc KU lit it up from the 3.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

That's enough reason for them to never play again? No, I think results are. As much as it seems to break your heart, Traylor is a versatile player and an exceptional athlete. He also knows better than to launch guarded jumpers from outside in the early seconds of possessions. You'll most likely be seeing him on the floor for 15 mins per game the reast of the season. Especially in crunch time. That makes Kansas better.

Jaston Archie 3 years, 11 months ago

"He also knows better than to launch guarded jumpers..." Is that a subtle shot at a beloved KU player from Jay, the ultimate Jayhawk fan who would never ever criticize the coaching staff or players that wear the precious crimson and blue? Surely not. Not after every one of your posts derides anyone who would dare challenge Bill Self or criticize the players. Maybe you're just a Selfer, I mean you always like your own comments so that would make sense. Jay is a Selfer.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

Does nobody like your comments? I'll like that one. If you get a chance to watch a game at some point you'll see that bigs throwing up guarded outside jumpers in the first 15 seconds of a possession is a ticket to the bench, even for Ellis. Traylor knows better, most of the time.

Jaston Archie 3 years, 11 months ago

Way to go Jay, liking someone other than yourself is very nice. I will now like your comment in response. See how that works? Awesome! Now back to my disagreement with you. By criticizing Kansas players, after every one of your posts (at least the 3 or 4 I have agonizingly read) derides someone for criticizing Self or a KU player, you have lost all credibility. How do you explain yourself?

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

Just to be clear, I gave your nonsensical post a thumbs up out of pity. When you post things that make more sense, maybe more people will join in.

I apologize for not being negative enough about Kansas players and coaches to suit your tastes.

Jaston Archie 3 years, 11 months ago

To talk so much you never answer a question. How can you justify criticizing I presume Diallo, Bragg, Hunter and/or Perry when ALL of your comments are always deriding someone who criticizes Self or the players, calling them "chicken little" something? You can try to wiggle your way out of it, which is lame considering how bold most of your comments are, but as far as I'm concerned, you've lost all credibility and frankly i've lost all interest in even responding to you. Even though I disagreed with many of your posts, I did appreciate the fact that you were just an absolutely avid supporter of Bill Self and Kansas who would never say anything negative about KU at all, but that's obviously not the case. Bummer!

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

You're making a fool of yourself. Feel free to do it solo.

James Smith 3 years, 11 months ago

For a career 5 rebound and 5 point guy I would hate to look at all his other games. I love Traylor for his commitment and hustle but there has to be someone better on the bench.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

5/5 in an average of 16 mins. If he played full time that's a double double every night...on top of outstanding defensive flexibility. Kinda makes it hard to understand how anyone wouldn't want him playing.

James Smith 3 years, 11 months ago

What the hell is BS doing? We have a Double Double guy sitting on the bench over half the game. Other reason we have to change coaches. Thanks for the info Jay!

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 11 months ago

Traylor's college stats: 3.9 ppg and 3.3 rpg while averaging 15.4 mpg... Not exactly lighting it up..

Jack Hoff 3 years, 11 months ago

I think Bill Self's "fools gold" comments are being taken way out of context. It's pretty evident he doesn't have a problem with his guys hoisting threes as long as they are within the offense, the ball doesn't stick and they don't fall in love with it. Good teams will run you off the line so you have to be able to score in other ways and not be one dimensional. I think by fools gold all he meant was if you cash 15 threes in a game, it might cover up the fact that you played poorly on defense or allowed a 3 win team to start he half on a 9-0 run. It's fools gold because it covers up mistakes and gives a false impression that you played better than you really did. It's obvious bill doesn't mind them shooting threes, he just wants them to be well rounded offensively and defensively.

Jared Reeves 3 years, 11 months ago

Jack, you might be right, but I have noticed HCBS seems to overvalue defense. Scoring points is not the enemy of good defense. A coach should never complain about scoring too much. It is smart to take what the defense gives you. Why pound the ball inside when they are packing it in, and we have wide-open threes? The players were smart. Scoring a bunch doesn't always lead to giving up a lot of points. For example, we didn't score much early in the second half and still gave up a ton.

Rather than calling it 'fools gold', BS should just say that we shouldn't let the team back in the game, and play just as hard when we are up by 30 as when we are down by 30. Letting up, not scoring too much, is the real issue.

Jared Reeves 3 years, 11 months ago

KU fans are the best in the nation because we understand the game, can provide critical analysis and don't have blind faith. I have no idea why some people think it is blasphemy or heresy to dare question the "deity" Bill Self.

Anyone who discourages critical analysis with name calling is harming the reputation of KU fans. Let's be civil about our disagreement without being trolls.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

Jared. If you don't like people to counter your assertions with factually supported arguments, you might not want to make them in public. Of course your comment wasn't really anything to do with that. If it was, you wouldn't have "liked" James Smith's comments where he uses terms like "psycho", "crazy" and "troll" (admit it, you did). What was your real point Jared?

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

Jared, your post is the textbook definition of troII. It's not even witty.

Rodney Crain 3 years, 11 months ago

George its over 20 on this thread. Best to try to ignore him, it would cut this by 2/3rds. :)

Tony Bandle 3 years, 11 months ago

Jay and Jared, just tell each other to F##K OFF, shake hands and get on with the facts..

My guess is that neither of you have a clue how foolish the both of you look to the rest of us watching you two obviously intelligent guys verbally bitch slapping each other.

There is absolutely nothing unmanly about agreeing to disagree!!

Jared Reeves 3 years, 11 months ago

Tony, that is exactly what I have been trying to do. I don't know how many times I have to tell Jay that I won't talk to him. I don't talk to trolls.

Please explain how taking your advice making me look foolish.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

Please point out something Jared has posted that's intelligent. Seriously. Anything.

People who want to make arguments in public forums should expect them to be challenged. Dismissing those who render such arguments false as "trolls" is a childish substitute for intelligence.

Marius Rowlanski 3 years, 11 months ago

(1) Attacking someone's post by challenging their comments with facts OR (2) attacking the person making the comments are two different things...

You most often fall into the second category Jay which is too bad because when you challenge their statements, I've noticed you often make several good points.

Jay Scott 3 years, 11 months ago

An example to share? Maybe a few to justify your use of the term "most"? Good luck.

Rodney Crain 3 years, 11 months ago

Thank you Tony. As always reason in the midst of insanity.

Marius well said.

Not sure it will make a difference.

Humpy Helsel 3 years, 11 months ago

Yikes! Must be the season of the year, or something. Oh, yea, it's starting to look a lot like Christmas. Everyone is a little testy today. End of week. Tired. Oh, well. I think I'll stay on the sidelines and keep my opinions to my self. At least until tomorrow.